Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Accident Protection Plan ($1000-1250)
SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Accident Protection Plan ($1000-1250)
Offered by SquareTrade
Price: $266.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy a laptop without it!, November 20, 2013
This is the second laptop accident for my family in 2 months. The first we handled online, shipped the laptop after receiving the shipping materials, and got paid within a week. For this incident (my teenager spilled root beer on her keyboard) I called Square Trade expecting some resistance due to the frequency of my claims. The very helpful rep wrote off the laptop right then, saying that as soon as they received it they would make the payment. This allowed us to go ahead and purchase the replacement and transfer data directly to the new one, making sure all was good before sending in the damaged one with the prepaid label they emailed.

For payment, they will give you the top of the range of your plan - in my case, $400. Then they throw in a bonus (5% I believe) if you'll take it as an Amazon gift card. They email you the code and you add it to your account. No-brainer for me as I shop a lot on Amazon.

As others have noted, batteries are considered "user replaceable" and not covered. This laptop also had a battery issue about 6 months ago (14 months into owning it) and they would not cover it. True, they do exclude "user replaceable" in the fine print which I checked before attempting the claim, but I think most of us "regular people" are thinking disposable batteries when they say this. I don't consider a proprietary part necessarily user replaceable - by that definition the hard drive and motherboard are also user replaceable. That being said, the cost of the new battery plus warranty didn't come close to the cost of the Geek Squad plan. I definitely recommend Square Trade every time.

SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Protection Plan ($600-$700)
SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Protection Plan ($600-$700)
Offered by SquareTrade
Price: $108.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, October 2, 2013
Bought a new laptop and purchased the protection plan the same day. About 3 weeks later the laptop got knocked off a counter. Screen cracked (whacks out the touchscreen completely), case bent so bad the memory card slot was unusable. We put in a claim and chose to ship to SquareTrade using their box shipped to us rather than deal with the repair ourselves. Within about 5 days the claim was approved and we were offered a 5% bonus if we would accept an Amazon.com gift card rather than a check. Since we'll probably purchase from Amazon.com we couldn't refuse. To top it off yesterday in the mail we received the old laptop's hard drive. We had backed everything up but it was nice having it as a backup to the backup. We always use Squaretrade - they're cheaper than that big box store and the service is second to none.

My favorite things about SquareTrade:
1 - they keep track of everything - you email the receipt to them and then it's there when you need it.
2 - cheaper than the big box guys, and the turnaround is much faster.
3 - coupons abound in your email once you've purchased any plan from them. Usually 30% off. You'll get tons around Christmas.
4 - they keep you informed every step of the way.
5 - you have up to 30 days to purchase a warranty, though I believe there is a waiting period if you don't purchase at the same time as your product.

Only one negative: on another laptop the battery quit holding a charge. Because it is considered "user replaceable" SquareTrade didn't cover it. The big box guys would've replaced it once. However, their plan was over twice as much so I'll use the money I saved and buy the battery. Still cheaper.

Go SquareTrade and no worries!

eForCity BLACK Leather Case and Screen Protector Compatible With Apple iPod touch 3rd Generation
Offered by Everydaysource
Price: $6.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case for the money, April 29, 2013
I tried one of those silicon case things and it seems like dust and junk was always getting under it. This case covers and protects my ipod - no worry sticking it in my pocket. Not sure why people are complaining about the magnetic closure - it has caused no problems with mine. The stand works well in vertical (portrait) position but not so much for landscape mode which is why only 4 stars. The protection and convenience can't be beaten at this price.

ASUS Q200E-BSI3T08 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (OLD VERSION)
ASUS Q200E-BSI3T08 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Offered by JJJ TechPioneer
Price: $678.33
18 used & new from $270.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the touchscreen!, March 11, 2013
So my ASUS netbook which I absolutely loved and took everywhere with me died. The latest selection of netbooks didn't excite me so I decided to upgrade to this model. The price is what sold me initially; the touchscreen seemed like a silly thing that I wouldn't use much. But after a day of using this side by side with an older laptop I was restoring, I was convinced. I now find myself touching the screens of all my computers. It's definitely the only way to use Windows 8.
I use this for home finance, web surfing, some word processing and a little video, photo and sound editing. The keys are a little small and take some getting used to. I am a touch typist and find the small keys a little annoying. Also the case edges are sharp and since the base is a bit wider than my old netbook it slips around a bit more on my lap. And the built-in battery does concern me; I hope when the time comes that replacing it won't be difficult.
Sound is acceptable - I watch Netflix while working in the kitchen and it's loud enough (much better than my netbook). The unit has 3 USB ports, SD slot and HDMI port. I have used this to stream videos to my projector and quality is excellent.
Battery life is long enough for my use; surfing and watching occasional video at home. It's made a couple of plane trips and I've managed enough battery to watch movies. It's so small and thin that I take it everywhere. And the AC adapter is not much larger than my phone charger - very convenient.
If I were doing serious typing I might hook up an external keyboard but for what I do it's perfect. Also due to constant touching the screen shows smudges but that's not the fault of the design - clean your hands or use a stylus if that bugs you!
The touchpad was very jumpy at first but a Windows update seems to have taken care of that.
I seem to be one of the few people who paid $499 for this at Best Buy (it's been $449 pretty much since Christmas). You won't find a touchscreen system that can come close for the price.

UPDATE: This summer I accidentally left my charger behind while traveling. I discovered that you basically can't buy a charger just anywhere. You'll have to order it from Asus and it's $50. Fortunately mine was located and returned and is now labeled all over the place with my contact information. I have seen suggestions that when should you ever have to replace the power jack (a common failure in many laptops) go with a standard size rather than the proprietary Asus one.

Also I did a little research into replacing the battery (not needing that at this point) and found that it's a matter of removing the back off the case, giving you access to hard drive and battery easily.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2013 6:50 AM PST

D-Link  DIR-825 Extreme-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router
D-Link DIR-825 Extreme-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router
Offered by BinkieMelane
Price: $194.59
15 used & new from $36.00

1.0 out of 5 stars First DLink product I've hated, January 23, 2013
Got this to fix a family member's issues with range on an older "g" router. Purchased prior to a planned visit to said relative and set aside an evening to switch everything out.

First tried the setup disk. We could sort of get the internet working but things kept dropping and we kept having to log in on individual computers. Major pain. Also the separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks showed up randomly on different laptops and ipads - the furthest one showed both; the system sitting right next to the router couldn't find the 5 GHz. Tried tweaking through router setting page. Very confusing and difficult to set up. Software wizards kept trying to force us to use security (since the system kept dropping the connections and requiring entering the key we wanted to use MAC address filtering alone until we worked things out). MAC addresses were not recognized as valid though they had worked perfectly fine with the old Belkin router. The only way we could consistently get a signal to everyone was with no security or MAC filtering. And when I tried the next morning to reset it all was wiped out again.

I also tried manually setting up the router after resetting and got no joy there either. Finally my time was running out so I put the old Belkin router back in. The next day my less techy relative purchased and installed a newer Belkin and in no time had everything up and running. I have always used and recommended DLink products but after this experience I will seriously reconsider. Hopefully the product can be returned.

Generic Acasis USB Dual External Drive Enclosure USB Hub with 525 Slim SATA Optical Drive 25 SATA Hard Disk Drive Up To 640GB (BLK-ODD-SATA-PB)
Offered by TronMax
Price: $8.89
3 used & new from $8.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy for netbook users!, December 4, 2012
I must confess I didn't read the description too well when I ordered this item. I was looking for an enclosure for an extra DVD drive I had to use with my netbook. I was pleasantly surprised to find the hard drive bay included. Cover removes without tools to pop in the hard drive. I used a little flathead screwdriver to pop off the faceplate and access the optical drive bay. Not sure why the product description says 640 GB limit - I am using it with a 1 TB drive to copy over all the files from my last computer which met an untimely death.

This is a very easy way to augment my netbook. The dimensions allow it to sit under the computer if space is limited and the extra USB ports are great. As mentioned elsewhere the wall wart plug is a little inconvenient which is why I couldn't 5-star this but when traveling I always carry an extension cord anyway as outets in airports are few and far between so the plug fits that just fine. THis is a very convenient and inexpensive add-on for anyone without a built-in optical drive.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and a good value., November 28, 2012
Purchased this at a Guitar Center in Florida several years ago as a replacement for a much-loved Tama 12-string from the mid-70's. We tried every 12-string in the store - the cheap knockoffs up to the $3000 Guild and Martins. We loved this one the most, both for playability and of course the sound.

The guitar came with light bronze strings. Eventually we switched to Martin silk and steel which I prefer on all my guitars. The instrument is easy to tune and stays tuned. The neck is a little narrower than my husband's old Tama, and we much prefer this one. It feels like my Martin 6-string dreadnaught.

Finish is beautiful - no flaws. Tone is rich, good highs and bass also. You will not find a better instrument at many times the price. We're thinking of getting a second one since we both go for this one first.

Migi Nail Art Fingernail Polish Kit - 8 Neon Colors (4 Pen-brushes)
Migi Nail Art Fingernail Polish Kit - 8 Neon Colors (4 Pen-brushes)
Offered by oh!Dreamy
Price: $17.49
5 used & new from $10.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product but a little expensive, January 6, 2012
First purchased these last Christmas for my 14 year olds and 11 year old. They love being able to do intricate designs on their own and their friends' nails. One of my daughters is in high demand for special occasion nail designs. I have heard no complaints about how well these work; my 25 year old daughter loved what her sister did for her nails so much that she asked for her own set. I have also given these as gifts to several nieces. I do think they are a tad expensive for what you get but I feel that this is a quality product and will definitely be purchasing more.

Sabrent External Sound Box USB-SBCV
Sabrent External Sound Box USB-SBCV
Price: $9.99
16 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plug it in and it works., January 6, 2012
Built in sound died on my kids' XP desktop. They needed sound ASAP as they are doing online courses which require recording lessons. I didn't care to research driver and hardware issues so got this shipped in a day with the Prime membership. Took longer to find the USB port at the back of the tower than it did to get it working. Included extension cable is a nice bonus; the soundstick can sit on the desktop (though they never adjust it) rather than in back of the tower. They were up and running about 20 minutes after the UPS guy left the package on our doorstep. Simple product, does what we need, and inexpensive.

Toshiba Satellite L755-S5349 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core  i3-2330M Processor, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Matrix Silver
Toshiba Satellite L755-S5349 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core i3-2330M Processor, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Matrix Silver
2 used & new from $835.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly suggest buying the 3rd party warranty, January 6, 2012
This machine serves the purpose for which it was purchased; knocked off a star due to Toshiba's warranty which costs money to utilize and is not stated in their literature.

This is the 5th Toshiba laptop I have purchased and probably the 10th counting the purchases I have directly influenced for family and friends. It was purchased for my teenage daughter to use primarily for online coursework but also to rip dvds and record music. Got it for $399 on a Gold Box deal so I am happy with the price.

Removed all the trialware and installed my own firewall/antivirus software, created restore disks and it works wonderfully for its stated purpose. The size is rather large - we had not seen this in stores and were a little surprised with the width of this thing. But the display is beautiful and it did at least barely fit the backpack purchased for it to take back and forth to school. This isn't a machine one would want to carry a lot but my daughter is comfortable with it.

About 3 weeks into owning it the system one evening refused to boot up. At this point it had never left our house, moved only once from the dining room table where I set it up to my daughter's desk. I was able to use a linux usb boot to salvage the few files on it, then tried the built in restore partition. No luck; errors all over the place. Next I tried the restore disks I had created; no luck - they were incomplete (only made 2 when it should have been 5). So I called Toshiba. The technician was quite polite and did not talk down to me, he quickly agreed that the hard drive was bad. I asked if they could ship me a replacement as that is something I am quite comfortable doing and he said that was not possible. So I have 3 choices: for $25 they will send me a box to ship my machine to the service center, for $30 I can drop it off at UPS to have them ship it, or I can ship myself and even though I use the original box the machine came in I have no guarantee that they will accept the shipment if it is damaged. I chose the $30 option. To their credit Toshiba kept me informed every step, and though the service happened over the Christmas holidays turnaround was reasonably quick. I am still feeling burned that it cost me $30 to get the unit serviced when it's only 3 weeks old and under warranty. Should've purchased the SquareTrade Warranty (which I have since done).

Bottom line: test everything (I made new rescue disks and tested them), make your rescue disks, and purchase some sort of warranty. I still feel Toshiba makes a quality product, I am just very disappointed in how the warranty was honored and feel misled there.

UPDATE March 28: Hard drive has died again. Not sure if the drive in the machine is the original or a replacement (refurbished) one. Guess I'll try the SquareTrade Warranty this time. At least it won't cost me as much to ship it out.

Page: 1 | 2