Profile for J. A. Edgerton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. A. Edgerton RSS Feed (Seattle, Wa. U.S.A.)

Sonic Souvenirs
Sonic Souvenirs
17 used & new from $6.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting: Possibly The Most Amazing Song Ever Written, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Sonic Souvenirs (Audio CD)
"Knives From Bavaria (Spoonful of Fun)" is one of my favorite songs on the planet!

This song will transport you to a late night rode trip on an American Highway someplace...maybe even lull you to sleep at the wheel.

Do not miss it being featured in the DVD of 13 Most Beautiful: Songs for Andy Warhol!

The Beekeeper
The Beekeeper
16 used & new from $2.21

3.0 out of 5 stars The Beekeeper: A review/Testimonial, February 22, 2005
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
I want to preface that I have never submitted a review of any artists' work before, but felt compelled to do so. I have been listening to Tori Amos since Little Earthquakes was first released, and it pains me to write the following opinions of the Beekeeper after countless listens: The reality is that over time one's perceptions, sound, tastes and styles in art and our human experience shift. I feel like I have spent most of the 90's obsessing over ever nuance that this brilliant artist sonically conveys. I have invested countless dollars toward her work (cds, concerts, b-sides, imports, books, interviews and even some boots;) spreading my love and discovery of Tori Amos to almost every person I have encountered throughout her career. Her music has always been an inspiration to me, almost matching ever step of my own developmental journey. I continued my enthusiasm for her through the release of her new book (which is amazing by the way), and in anticipation of this new album.
This record for me is entirely written with themes I cannot relate to and sounds entirely over-produced only to cater to a new, almost commercial fan base. The content of this 80-minute record goes through moments of being brilliant and even corny. There are certainly high levels of musicianship achieved on this record, but it just falls flat as a whole. I come to this conclusion even after watching the interviews on the DVD portion of the Special Edition features of this disc. On the DVD she explains the conception of the "garden" and a handful of what some of the songs (girls) mean. My love for her is that she has always been a fantastic secret; speaking a poetic lexicon only decipherable by those who share in this equal devotion. I loved knowing that past listeners of her work have not been able to "get her" and now even my own Christian grandmother could find this new record accessible. Many artists have changed over the years so I give her pros for growth (with the choir and the quasi-funky sounds of it's afro-Cuban influence), yet my lack-luster delight of her new sound has left me feeling disappointed. I do recommend that you purchase the Special Edition for the DVD and the mysteriously beautiful song Garlands.
I miss the intimate and lyrical playfulness of Little Earthquakes. The pastel portrait of the heart discovered in Under the Pink. The haunting rage and desolate sounds of Boys for Pele (which is my favorite album by the way). The grievance and loss vulnerably exposed in Choirgirl. Venus, being more electronically based. The feminine twists of some of my favorite male songwriters of earlier years on Strange Little Girls. The healing Native American homage coming to light in the wake of 911 on Scarlet's Walk. These were all solid albums, with focused perspectives. The Beekeeper might have benefited from an exclusion of about five songs. Allowing the remainder to be more b-sides on some singles.
Overall, The Beekeeper sounds like a mere extension of Scarlet's Walk. I will not go on with specifics through deconstructing ever song etc... but a lot of this album bored me. This album as a whole is good, but seems to lack something from a musical and lyrical standpoint. It also sounds "pretty", but for some Tori fans it might only be relegated to background noise, much like the new direction of Sarah Mclachlan. I understand that many of Tori fans reading this might believe that she has to be in pain on order to write a perfect album; that is simply not the case. I suppose that I just expected more out of her and don't find it necessary for her to sound like a cliché of herself. The Beekeeper is a very safe endeavor on her part, I believe. Despite the above expressed rambling, I will always have a place for Tori in my heart. For fans, I recommend that you give this album a good listen and come up with your own conclusion.