Profile for Steve V > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 117

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steve V RSS Feed (Norman, Oklahoma)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Rhetoric of Film
The Rhetoric of Film
by John Harrington
34 used & new from $2.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Still useful, May 19, 2015
This review is from: The Rhetoric of Film (Paperback)
This 1973 book often uses literature as a starting point for understanding what rhetoric means and how film communicates. It contrasts film with stage drama, emphasizing the freedom of film to move in space and time, and to create associations by juxtaposing images. Since it makes only infrequent reference to specific movies, it seems grossly outdated only in the (relatively unimportant) technical sections.

Chapter titles: Rhetoric and Film; Idea and Example: Recording Visual Reality; Documenting the World: Sound; Point of View; Theme and Unity; Structure and Organization; Rhythm and Continuity; Extended Rhetoric.

The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 2
The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 2
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of the three volumes, May 16, 2015
Some of Lewis' best writing is in this volume -- some of the wisest, the funniest, and the most interesting to those who want to know about his thought and life. Of the three volumes of Collected Letters, this is my favorite. But it does trail off toward the end (e.g. in notes of thanks). Letters make good bedtime reading because they can be picked up anywhere. The notes and index are first rate.

Pawn's Move
Pawn's Move
DVD ~ Tyler Roberds
Price: $10.91
40 used & new from $1.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots to like, little to offend, April 13, 2015
This review is from: Pawn's Move (DVD)
This is a pleasing story, well told and better produced than I expected. The menu of the current (second) edition offers scene selection and (hooray!) SUBTITLES. The music works well, and the picture and sound are good. The few simple ideas from chess work well, and the film does a pretty good job with one of those questions about life that we can't get away from.

The weakness that bothered me most was a complicated scene near the end, where I found it hard to grasp what was going on.

The strengths of the film -- including a very decent story, some appealing characters, and healthy thinking -- more than make up for the few weaknesses.

Propet Men's Pedwalker 15 Slip-On,Black,12 M (US Men's 12 D)
Propet Men's Pedwalker 15 Slip-On,Black,12 M (US Men's 12 D)
Price: $81.91
16 used & new from $79.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy toes, April 13, 2015
First impressions: there is good room for my toes. Also, (1) the seam is far enough to the outside so it does not bother my big toes, and (2) the stretchy fabric on top is easy on my toes when I walk. However there is more room than I need in the main body of the foot, and not as much arch support as I would like (this is also true of another pair of Propet shoes designed for old folks). Overall, it is worth it and I am satisfied.

Under the Greenwood Tree, or, the Mellstock quire; a rural painting of the Dutch school
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as "Far from the Madding Crowd", March 30, 2015
Many of the things I liked in "Far from the Madding Crowd" are here -- the scenes, the descriptions of nature, the flavorful cast of characters, the turns of plot. But it is less well done, and the characters have a weaker sense of right and wrong. The idea of being "good enough for" or "too good for" (someone) is worth noticing.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
DVD ~ Richard Gere
Price: $4.75
137 used & new from $0.64

4.0 out of 5 stars For dog lovers, March 19, 2015
This review is from: Hachi: A Dog's Tale (DVD)
Very well made, not in the least manipulative, and (as others have said) it does not endow the dog with the mind of a human. It did extract a few tears, but only a few: I find it hard to identify with a dog in a movie the way I do with people in a movie. Maybe if I had owned a dog during the course of my long life, I would respond differently. As it is I had better concentrate in trying to love my human neighbors whether they are pleasant or not.

Understanding Literature and Film: Interpreting meaning from written and visual media
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and worthwhile, February 23, 2015
Handy little thing for someone just diving into English Lit; I wish I had read something of the sort it when I switched to that major. Note that it is designed for students in the UK, discussing some of the texts they are likely to study. But American students should find it worthwhile if nothing better is within easy reach. It does not provide much help on film.

The Giver DVD
The Giver DVD
DVD ~ Jeff Bridges
Price: $12.96
39 used & new from $5.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going in Dystopia, February 23, 2015
This review is from: The Giver DVD (DVD)
They say it is easier to describe evil (which is not far to seek) than virtue, so it is is hardly surprising that The Giver does not offer an original vision of great virtue and deep joy. But they did well on the general ethical framework, the value they placed on justice, family, love and life.

They might have done more with the character of the Giver, the relationship between love and duty, and the hint of doubt in the expression of the Chief Elder.

This one may be most appreciated by teens, who will probably rate it much higher. A few of us old folks found the movie confusing, unpleasant, or both, but it is nice to see something with strong ethical values, well made, and provided with subtitles. (I have not read the book.)

Road to Redemption
Road to Redemption
DVD ~ Johnny Meyer
Price: $16.66
10 used & new from $6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Amanda and the Keystone crooks, February 14, 2015
This review is from: Road to Redemption (DVD)
Our used DVD is WIDESCREEN with subtitles -- hooray! The threat and violence is more than we usually tolerate, but it does make the story move along. We appreciate the scenery and the straightforward Christian message of the film. Next time I will watch more closely to catch the way Amanda's attitudes change over the course of the movie, especially her attitude toward her grandfather Nathan and his message.

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology: Abridged Edition
New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology: Abridged Edition
by Verlyn Verbrugge
Price: $34.98
55 used & new from $14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, January 3, 2015
Just the thing for someone like me who knows some Greek but never studied in depth, it is probably my most used language tool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12