Profile for J. Whealton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Whealton RSS Feed (Central Florida, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Toner Refill Kit High Yield compatible with Samsung ML-1710, also good with the ML-1510, ML-1710, ML-1720, ML-1740
Offered by JL Toner
Price: $4.95
4 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine and saves loads of cash, July 11, 2014
Was skeptical that this would work as good as a factory toner cartridge but it did! I'm not sure what the current price is for a toner cartridge buy I'm thinking this refill kit is less than 10% of that price. Extremely good value. The only down side is that this was a bit messy. It's almost impossible to not get some residue somewhere but it's not near messy enough to warrant me ever buying a real toner cartridge again.

Nite Ize Flashflight L.E.D Light Up Flying Disc
Nite Ize Flashflight L.E.D Light Up Flying Disc
Price: $16.99 - $63.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think throwing one in the day is fun..., March 20, 2011
My friends introduced me to night time disc throwing during a camping trip not too long ago and I was hooked. I got one for myself (this one) and my son and I have had hours of fun tossin this around. These are fun during the day but at night its almost amazing how cool this is. One word of caution though, before you start flinging these to each other in the dark, make sure you clear the area of shin bone level obstructions because hitting something like a laid down bicycle in the dark at a full run is no fun.

Its surprisingly bright at night and you'll have no trouble tracking it in flight.

As far as durability goes, ours probably has over 30 hours of use and has seen impacts with asphalt, concrete, the side of the house, cars, and trees... its been left out in the weather, and has even been a victim of our german shepherd and it still works great. This is definitly worth getting.

Samsung CLP 300 Mini Personal Color Laser Printer
Samsung CLP 300 Mini Personal Color Laser Printer
Offered by Reliable Home Supplies
Price: $507.45
11 used & new from $120.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic home color laser printer!, October 9, 2006
I've been looking pretty hard at the sales flyers over the last few months waiting for a chance to score a color laser printer at a price range that doesn't make me have to eat bag lunches for a month to catch up. A local office superstore had two models I was eying, an HP 1600 and this one. They seemed pretty similar in most regards until [...] dropped the CLP-300 100 dollars below the HP. It was time to grab the bargain.

This is the second Samsung laser printer I have in my home office now, the first one being the little ML-1740. I've had that one for better than a year now and it has been wonderful. So I wasn't afraid to try the Samsung CLP-300 because its name isn't as big as HP's. So I get it home and commence to setting it up. As with the earlier ML-1740, it took about 5 minutes to unpack, route cables, plug in the toner packs, and fire it up. It didn't skip a beat and had a test page done in a jiffy. Drivers for the computer went just as easily. Overall a very, very simple set up.

Back to the toner "packs" (or cartridges) for a bit... I don't think I've ever seen a more simple toner system. This system is literally easier to deal with than inkjet cartridge replacement. The front cover of the printer opens to reveal 4 "holes" for the toner cartridges. Simply remove the protective covers from the 3 color cartridges and 1 black cartridge and pop them into their respective holes. This has to be a step forward for the laser printer world.

Anyway, I've only had this for about a week but have put maybe 200 pages through it already. It works like a champ and I'm really happy I picked it up. I'll list below some of the pros and cons as I see them (in no particular order):

Pros:
* Low noise when printing... very low noise actually. Its little more than a light whirring sound.
* Fast printing (about 20 to 25 seconds to the first high quality print and very fast once started).
* Great drivers giving you good printing options like double sided printing, booklet printing (on long or short side of page), watermarks, pre-generated letterhead, ability to print multiple pages per sheet, ability to print posters, etc... ...way too much to list here.
* Decent color photo prints. The quality isn't quite up to the photo quality of the better inkjet photo printers, but its good. And it certainly isn't poor enough to be a negative. I'd say though that if your primary goal is photo prints you might want to compare some other higher priced models before settling on this one. Otherwise, this should suit you fine.
*Size... it fits perfect on my printer stand. This doesn't over power the room by being overly bulky. Its not too much bigger than the ML-1740 and way smaller than its older sibling the CLP-510 (I liked the built in duplexing on the 510 but wasn't too crazy at all about its size).

Cons:
* Power... it seems like it uses quite a bit more than the little ML-1740 (no surprise I'm sure) because my battery backup makes a click every few minutes like a brown out spike happens. The ML-1740 makes the lights flicker on occasion but had no effect on the UPS. On a related note however, this printer has a user adjustable power saver mode that puts it to sleep after a set number of minutes.
* Low paper capacity. Only about 150 sheets in the paper tray. But its easy to remove and fill and I doubt I'll ever print more than that in a sitting.
* No front auxiliary feed tray (like the ML-1740) for feeding various sized papers into the machine. The CLP-300 does take various sized papers but you have to use the paper tray.
* Power switch in the back. The ML-1740 had this set up too. How hard can it be to put the switch on the front or even the front side to make it more accessible. Better yet, let the unit be powered on and off automatically by software like some other printers can do. The switch all the way in the back, on the bottom, is not a deal breaker but its an aggravation that I wish Samsung would address in their future models.
* Toner amount... Here's something I'm not sure will be an issue or not in the long run but right now I'm a bit concerned. The toner packs are small. The color ones are a bit smaller than a styrofoam cup while the black one is about as large as a typical ceramic coffee mug but a bit taller perhaps. The technical papers say you'd get about 1000 sheets of color printing per color. I'll edit this review in a few months with my impression of how true that appears to be. The silver lining to this issue might be that the toner packs are cheaper than the typical toner cartridges for other laser printers. And also, according to the Samsung website, this printer is supposed to be cheaper to operate in the long than other printers. A cent or two here or there adds up I guess.

So my score of 4 out of 5 stars represents the above pros and cons and my experience so far with this printer. Its not a perfect 5 because there is room for improvement but its a very nice printer that is great to have. And for the price, there is no reason why every home can't have color laser printing now. I can still remember when inkjets were replacing the dot matrix printers... move over inkjets, here we go again.

*** Follow Up Edit: 24oct06 (original post 9oct06)***
I'm coming up on a month now of useage and haven't had a problem yet. I would like to add to my comment made above though regarding the quality of the photo prints ... I've done a bunch of pictures so far and I would again encourage people who are looking predominantly for a picture printer to look at a level a bit higher than this one. For what I do, this is fine, but folks looking for photo quality printing would likely find this a bit lacking.

Also, along with the photos and numerous web pages, I've printed several good sized PDF documents with a lot of illustrated graphics and the toner indicators in my printer monitor (the software) shows negligible toner use. I can't confirm this by sight or weight of the toner packs themselves but if the indicators are correct, I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting so far.

*** Follow up edit: 14oct11
Just wanted to mention that I still have my ol' trusty 300. Still works as good as it did the day I got it. I would have expected it to be feeding poorly or producing bad quality prints but its working fine. Granted, its only a casually used printer and outside of a few big projects here and there its only used when I need color. I'd upgrade but so long as the toner is cheaper than a new printer I'll keep it until it croaks.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2011 2:49 PM PDT

Samsung ML1740 Laser Printer
Samsung ML1740 Laser Printer
Offered by Shopping_Service_onLine
Price: $499.99
6 used & new from $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, handy little printer, June 23, 2005
I've had this printer for about 2 weeks and have never once felt that I made a bad choice picking it up. I bought it locally and after rebate was a near steal. Even before the rebate there's only a handful of similar products at its price level but after the rebate it was stand alone.

At this price I was worried that the durability might be lacking but it seems well made. There are no loose joints, no over or under bites on any of the casing, and no rattling loose parts.

Once I got it up and running (which took maybe 5 minutes from out of the box to first page printed) I played around with some of the settings. One of the things I am glad it offers is the "toner save" feature. I printed a few test sheets of both graphics and text to see what difference it makes. The graphical pages looked slightly less dark. Side by side its a very faint but nonetheless noticeable difference. With text printing, I couldn't tell. There is also a setting to change the DPI (dots per inch). The options are 600 or 300. There was a much bigger difference printing at 300 dpi vs. 600 dpi than there was going from regular mode to toner save mode.

I am very happy with the quality of the prints. Text is as sharp as you could want... graphics look fine as far as laser printers go but I don't think the resolution is as high as some of the high DPI inkjets. I printed out a few product manuals with graphics, diagrams, and text in PDF format and I have no gripes at all about the quality.

Printing time is very fast compared to both my inkjet at home and my laser printers at work. Speed wise, obviously this is far superior to my little inkjet, but I wasn't expecting this thing to hold its own against larger lasers. After a long time with no activity the first print causes a warm up to occur which lasts about 20 seconds. This is a whirring sound which is followed by the sound of paper being picked up. The actual printing time (per page) once warm up is complete is about 6-8 seconds. I think the program your printing from and the type of document make a difference of course but so far printing times have impressed me.

A few of the other features I like are:

1) There is a slot in the front of the machine where you can insert envelopes or card stock (greeting cards, 3x5 note cards, etc.) for printing.

2) If bending or creasing print media during printing is an issue you can send your output out a back door on the printer rather than have them get routed to the normal output tray. In other words, a straight print path vs a U-turn.

3) You can add watermarks and overlays to your documents via the print menu

4) Its energy star compliant... I appreciate that it goes to sleep and saves energy, especially since warm up time is almost insignificant

5) the printer status monitor is actually handy and isn't intrusive as some printer manufacturers make theirs.

Another review here mentioned the noise level. From what I've experienced with other printers, this one doesn't make any more noise than a typical laser printer. There is some unusual noise created by the paper exiting the machine but again, its hardly noteworthy.

The only item I would have for a wish list for future models is that the printer be able to be turned on and off by software. For instance, if I don't manually do it otherwise, my inkjet is powered on by a print request and powered off when I power off my computer. I wish all printers did that.

The bottom line is, this is a very nice little home office or personal laser printer. Time will tell if it holds up in the long run but in the meantime, I'll be comfortable using it.

Hasbro Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Hasbro Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Offered by atyourservice05
Price: $199.90
40 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game even for younger children..., May 3, 2005
Recently I've been searching for more traditional (i.e. board) games for my 5 year old son in an effort to (1) get him away from all the electronic goodies he uses and (2) spend some quality family time with him. I tried some of the common old style board games (Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, SORRY!, etc...) but they didn't hold his interest for more than a few minutes. Knowing that he's just a year or two from being introduced to YuGiOh or Pokémon or whatever else his peers are into these days, I considered some of those games to try out with him. But without being able to read yet, those games are just too far away for him right now and I couldn't see a way to simplify them so that he could at least get a foot hold on the learning curve.

So, while browsing the game isle at my local superstore I notice HeroScape. I was pretty sure the little action figures would capture his attention which is the first step in getting him going on any game. After doing some research on the game ([...] takes you to a great site with all sorts of demos and information about the game) and after reading all of the reviews here on Amazon, I felt like I couldn't go that wrong trying it out. What made me more comfortable was the fact that there are two modes of play you can use... a basic mode and an advanced mode. So I made the purchase. I knew I made a good choice the first night I showed him the game. He was thoroughly fascinated with all of the little characters (particularly with the dragon and the guy who rides the dinosaur). However, at 5 years old, I knew he wasn't interested in the rules even in the basic mode of play so I simplified things... a lot. I set up the terrain tiles in a simple landscape layout strictly for aesthetic value and scattered some figures at either side of the board. I explained to him that he can choose which character he wants to control and which he wants to attack. No movement rules... just a good guy and a bad guy. Then I showed him that we each role ten dice (use the red or blue but not both as they're different), if he has more "face ups" than I have, he wins and gets to capture my character... if not I win and capture his. If we tie then we roll the 20 sided dice to see who gets the highest number and then that person wins. Those are the only rules in our game. And that is one of the biggest features of this game... you can make it whatever you like. I tell stories as we play that incorporate the characters on the board and his face is just lit up with imagination.

I was pretty sure that if he liked it, this game was going to help teach him creative thinking and strategy (once he evolved out of "5 year old mode") but it really hadn't occurred to me that his math skills would be polished while we play. For the 2 or so hours we played (yeah, see if "Candy Land" can hold a 5 year old's attention that long) he was clearly picking up speed counting his dice, counting mine, and comparing values. I am extremely pleased with this game, and to be quite honest, I too think its fun to play and I'm sure as we move into the more advanced modes it will be even better.

One note about something my wife said when I showed her the game... she was afraid it was going to be like Dungeons and Dragons. In other words she was concerned that it would be too violent or somehow otherwise unhealthy. Well, first of all, I explained D&D wasn't like that (but that's another story) and second, that there is nothing more violent about this game than playing cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, or even little green army men. You get out of it what you put into it. For instance, our characters don't die, they get captured.

I agree with pretty much all of the positive reviews here on Amazon for this game and also agree with the issue of the box being too small to get everything back into once you take it out. Will it all fit again? Yes, but that's no small task and its much easier to use rubbermaid containers. I use a small container for the characters (so my son can easily remove just the figures to play with when we're not gaming) and a larger one that will hold the smaller container along with everything else.

In summary, this is a fantastic game that can be adapted to younger players if the parents use a bit of imagination. I think it will grow with the child at the child's pace and rival any game that's on the shelf now. Its expandable as well with new packs of characters coming out from time to time. I hope this helps people considering this game to try it out, I really think you'll be glad you did.

**edit 18dec05**
Just a follow up to say that several months and more than a few expansion packs later this game is still as fun as ever for both my son and me. Another review here mentions that its a good introductory game... I couldn't agree more but though it is easy to learn, its certainly not limited to beginners or to children. I have seen very elaborate game setups at gaming conventions using 5 or more combined sets to produce massive battle scenes and advanced multiplayer action.

Ice Age (2-Disc Special Edition)
Ice Age (2-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Denis Leary
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $13.07
456 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, April 4, 2005
With 322 reviews already posted I can't add much more than a simple "I agree... its hilarious."

But what I didn't see mentioned is that the sound on this movie sounds awesome on a surround sound setup. It sounds so good that I've use it as a demo to show my relatives who haven't upgraded to the 21st century yet how immersive surround sound is.

And I will also add that that little saber-toothed squirrel (Scrat?) is a hoot in the movie... every time he comes in scene you're gonna laugh. And the short movies starring him are also very entertaining. Easy 5 stars for this DVD.

Guide to Flowering Plant Families
Guide to Flowering Plant Families
by Wendy B. Zomlefer
Price: $41.48
60 used & new from $9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy reference to have around., April 4, 2005
Occasionally I have to (try) and key out plants at work. Not having a botany background makes this difficult and when I get stumped on a particular term or piece of plant anatomy I call up this book to walk me through the terminology. It is particularly useful if you can key the plant out to family level. It's picture (line art) illustrations are very clear and help tremendously when trying to understand what it is the key is referring to. Well worth the 35 dollars if you deal with the anatomy of plants at all or need to know family characteristics.

Landscape Plants for Subtropical Climates
Landscape Plants for Subtropical Climates
by Bijan Dehgan
Price: $22.46
73 used & new from $10.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Reference, April 4, 2005
I bought this book as a requirement for a plant identification course (Dr Dehgan as an instructor). It contains information about every plant you could want for landscaping a tropical yard. As a reviewer stated earlier though, it contains only line art so it isn't really very visually impressive. For a gardener (or hobbyist) who already has an idea what plants he wants for a landscape and isn't trying to decide by looking at pictures I suspect this would be a great reference because it typically contains a full page of specs for each plant it lists. If all this information was converted to a database and made searchable by plant feature, what a wonder it would be. For the average layperson though (i.e. me), I think it has limited usefulness as a stand alone reference and is best combined with a nice pictorial guide. If this book had color plates it would hands down be a 5 star rating. Even at a lower rating than what I scored it, it would still be a great value and a worthwhile addition to your library for the modest price.

Priceless Florida: Natural Ecosystems and Native Species
Priceless Florida: Natural Ecosystems and Native Species
by Eleanor Noss Whitney
22 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book on Florida Ecosystems!, April 4, 2005
As a required text for a wildlife of Florida class, I was obligated to purchase this book. I was overjoyed to see that I was going to get a text book for less than 20 bucks. When it arrived I simply couldn't believe that this book was priced as it was. The pictures alone rival any coffee table book on Florida I've ever see. I could stop the review here and say that for the pictures alone this book is clearly worth the price, however, it isn't just a picture book.

This book is somewhat like another excellent book on Florida ecosystems called "Ecosystems of Florida" by Myers and Ewell. The biggest difference, besides the heavy dose of great pictures, is that the text of this book isn't as detailed nor does it contain the level of scientific data as the Myers and Ewell book. This book is more suited to the newcomer to the environmental field or to someone just curious about Florida wildlife.

The Chapters or units this book is broken down into divide the areas of concentration into an overview of the state, inland communities (uplands, wetlands, and waters), and coastal communities. Each section is further divided into specific ecosystems. Within those chapters dealing with specific ecosystems you'll find a great narrative of the system, numerous illustrations, lots of interesting sidebars, and of course, stunning pictures of the system and its wildlife including plants, geologic formations (where notable), insects, fish, herps, mammals, and birds.

Where this book really shines compared to the Myers and Ewell book (besides the photos) is this book's attention to the wildlife of Florida in both descriptive and photographic form. Not only do you learn about the physical attributes of a system but you get a good overview of the flora and fauna found in the system also. Reading this book is the next best thing to walking through the systems you'll read about.

While not the most detailed book on Florida ecosystems, it provides an excellent overview of them. It is definitely a worthwhile addition to your collection of Florida books and very much a great value at its current price. It is absolutely worth the 5 stars.

Coaching Tee Ball : The Baffled Parent's Guide
Coaching Tee Ball : The Baffled Parent's Guide
by Bing Broido
Price: $10.20
120 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good T-Ball Reference, March 26, 2005
This was one of the books I chose for my inaugural season as a T-ball coach. In my search for reference material I've found that for as many books as there are out there for all manner of sports, books on T-ball are in short supply... good ones anyway. This book runs through coaching T-ball from beginning to end. Not just on the field stuff but pre-season, pre-game, post-game, parent relations, etc. I doubt just one book will contain all the information that a new coach needs but this one comes pretty close. If your a new coach I'm sure you will find alot in this book that will help to prepare you for the upcoming season. The reason for only 4 stars though is that I would like to see the drills and exercise section enlarged (surely the author, who is the co-founder and president of the T-ball USA association, can come up with more drills or ideas for creative learning than what is presented in this book). Overall... probably the best choice for T-ball reference I could recommend at this time.

Page: 1 | 2