Profile for Raychel G. Terschluse > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Raychel G. Terschluse RSS Feed (St.Louis, MO)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Girl Who Got Away (Deluxe Edition)
Girl Who Got Away (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by MUSICROCKSUSA
Price: $10.99
55 used & new from $4.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Understated, March 27, 2013
I agree with a lot of reviewers that this album requires a couple of listens. When it was announced FOREVER ago that her 4th album would drop I was super excited. Life For Rent and No Angel are among my top favorite albums, but I just couldn't fall in love with Safe Trip Home. It was slower and somber and it didn't seem like 'my' Dido. When I first listened to this album I rolled my eyes and thought "Not Again!" But after I grabbed a cup of coffee and relaxed on the sofa I put my ipod on my Bose dock and just sat there and listened to the whole thing again. I love it. I love it. I love it.

Its certainly not ground breaking. But her voice...is haunting. Its the most powerful aspect of the album. It shines through every track. There is a heavy emphasis on electronica throughout and I doubt any of these tracks will get any radio attention, but then again she hasn't received that much radio play aside from White Flag and Sand in My Shoes. I played this for my co-workers the other night (all males) and they really liked it.

This album is full of tracks that can easily stand alone and demand respect! Blackbird, Just Say Yes, Let's Runaway, End of Night, Love to Blame, Go Dreaming, and Loveless Hearts are AMAZING. Go Dreaming reminds me of Take My Hand. There is a real range of sounds and emotions on this album that her other albums lacked. The lyrics still read like poetry -

I can smile now
And turn away
Come over here
So you can see me walk away
And celebrate
The end of night

This is not to say that the album is perfect. I am not a fan of Let Us Move On and All I See because they are basically duets that just....fall flat. I also wish that the original version of Everything to Lose (Sex and the City 2) was included on here and not this awful remix. I can't even stand to listen to it!

Bottom line- I highly recommend this album. There are slow songs, fast songs, happy songs, sad songs, empowering songs, etc. Truthfully though...its DIDO and thats all I needed to give it a try.

Red
Red
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $11.27
126 used & new from $2.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Paint the Town in Red, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
Well...she had done it again. I love Taylor Swift. Theres just something about her voice that makes my day a little better. Her songs grow on me. Every album just kind of grows on you until you find that you know every lyric of every song. After first listen I was like..."Huh?" And then another listen. And another. And now I'm thinking out loud "YES!". She does take some leaps on this album. Experimenting with different beats, different instruments, and pushes super close to bubblegum pop, maybe even too far for some fans. But, this is Taylor Swift after all and Swifties will love her efforts and style. Some songs stand tall and others fall short. Among the best are Begin Again, I Almost Do, All Too Well, Treacherous, and Everything has Changed. Among the different are Red, I Knew You Were Trouble, 22 and State of Grace. This IS a different album. Some songs don't feel polished and this is completely different than previous albums. Some songs aren't lyrically 'heavy' like I Knew You Were Trouble, State of Grace, and We Are Never.... Is that a bad thing? No. Its just different. Every album gives us a new take on where she is musically and lyrically. Bottom line. Go get the album. You know you want to!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2012 10:00 AM PST

Plant Identification Terminology: An Illustrated Glossary
Plant Identification Terminology: An Illustrated Glossary
by James G. Harris
30 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for botanists!!!!!, May 30, 2012
I cannot stress how much you need this book if you are studying botany. I graduated from college and studying to get into graduate school and landed my first botanical job. I sit in a lab looking at thousands of plants ( grasses, flowers, rushes, sedges, etc.) and key them out. Plant terminology is insane and changes depending on what you're identifying. This book contains helpful definitions and DRAWINGS!! The drawing adds that little bit of help when you're completely confused! So, while keying out and the line asks you about super/inferior ovary- flip to this book and check out the drawing- and boom! I've had this book for awhile now and it looks like its been to war and back. Completely recommend this to anyone who needs to know words like 'pubescent' stem!!

Oh Land
Oh Land
Price: $11.72
50 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars These dreams under my pillow..., March 15, 2011
This review is from: Oh Land (Audio CD)
Welcome to a new sound. I first heard this band over a year ago on a blog and I was blown away. To say I've been waiting for this is a bit of an underestimate. Oh Land is female Nanna Řland Fabricius. I think I once read that her instruments were all hand made and she recorded some demos in her bedroom- she's THAT good. Her sound is whimsical meets electronica with a little bit of mystery mixed in. My favorite track on the album is definitely White Nights.

These dreams under my pillow
In the twilight of these white nights
These dreams under my pillow
In the twilight of these white nights

Her voice is just totally unique...and this album ROCKS. If you enjoy Regina Spektor or Shivaree (look her up too) then you will be equally amazed at Oh Land. My favorite tracks are White Nights, Rainbow, Perfection, and Sun of a Gun. Do yourself a favor. If you're bored of the same old sound on the radio listen to these tracks and sit back. Totally different sound!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

Goodbye Lullaby
Goodbye Lullaby
Price: $7.00
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of Ballads, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Goodbye Lullaby (Audio CD)
This new CD from Avril Lavigne is completely different than her three previous albums. This is is full of ballads and for the most part are well written. Standouts include Push, Goodbye, Wish You Were Here, Stop Standing There, and Smile. This album, while unique, sounds more like her first album, if any. It took a couple of listens to get hooked but on the third time I found myself digging the new sound. I enjoyed this album two-fold more than The Best Damn Thing because this album is personal and has a deeper feel to it. I'd really like to see these as acoustic numbers during her next tour. Try it!

Steyermark's  Flora of Missouri, Volume  2
Steyermark's Flora of Missouri, Volume 2
by George Yatskievych
Price: $43.08
10 used & new from $42.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Botanical Bible, November 17, 2010
As an undergraduate studying plants, I thought this book would do me some good. I had been told to get the original but it is now out of print. Good thing. The Missouri Botanical Gardens and the Missouri Department of Conservation collaborated together and re-released Julian Steyermark's work, but with new pictures and more information. I have Volume 1 and Volume 2. You can't really just have one and not the other if you're a serious botanist. I am doing a glade restoration and am monitoring the wildflowers that return there after seasonal burnings. With Volume 1 and Volume 2 I am able to identify everything and anything. I didn't think I would like the drawings, but I have since changed my mind. It is much easier to identify plants with drawings than it is to look at a color picture.

The vernacular is a little intimidating, but there is a glossary in the back. I recommend getting a smaller paperback glossary to use in conjunction with this book. This volume includes Dicots- Acanthaceae - Fabaceae. The first part of each mini "chapter" begins with characteristics of the family, then genus, then species. Each genus has a map included of where it has been found and facts about past and current uses of the plant.

I absolutely love these volumes. Volume 1 includes information on climate, glades, prairies, mountains, the ozark region, etc. in Missouri. It is the monocot edition, including pteridophytes and conifers.

This book should be used to key out species, first and foremost. However, you must know what family the plant belongs to. You need to have a basic understanding of different plant families. I suggest bringing a magnifying glass, a blade, tweezers, and a camera into the field when you are identifying plants because they will all come in handy while keying out.

Each Volume is about 1100 pages and is jam packed with information. Because Missouri has mild-hot summers and mild-cold summers it is home to a great number of species of wildflowers. This book can be used as a guide in other states as well because Missouri has a wide ranging climate.

I recommend these volumes to anyone wanting to be able to identify wildflowers and learn more about botany in general.

The Family Jewels
The Family Jewels
Price: $12.50
36 used & new from $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!!, July 17, 2010
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
Finally!! I have been waiting for this album for almost a year. I first heard this group on[...]and I totally fell in love. Marina and the Diamonds is unlike any other group around but if I had to compare it to anything I would have to go with Blondie and the poetry of Regina Spektor. The first 'single' was "I Am Not a Robot." With lyrics like 'You've been acting kind of tough lately, smoking a lot of cigarettes lately. But inside you're just a little baby.' Brilliant sound and amazing lyrics. I also really liked "Obsessions". "I wanna erase every nasty thing that bugs me every day of every week."

This is a completely unique group with a fresh take on everything. I think every single song is great- but my faves are listed above. Highly rated!!!

Funny Games
Funny Games
DVD ~ Naomi Watts
Offered by UltimateDiscountsCANADA
Price: $29.99
41 used & new from $2.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Never let in a stranger seeking eggs, June 12, 2008
This review is from: Funny Games (DVD)
I just finished watching this and I immediately put in a romantic comedy- its that eerie! I've never seen the original and I have no interest in doing so now.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I love a good scary movie-like Poltergeist or Rosemary's Baby. They have endings I can live with and think about hours after watching. After viewing Funny Games I don't wanna think anymore about the ending. I would like to pretend it ended differently- which is something most movies avoid. Not Funny Games.

The plot is beyond simple. A family goes on vacation to a town on a lake where they own a home. On the way they pass by some friends acting strangely and they are accompanied by two men all in white. They get home and almost instantly a boy shows up asking for eggs. Things turn too uncomfortable too fast. Naomi Watts plays the wife and you can see the immediate discomfort on her face at once. The boy invites his friend in and she begs them to leave. Her husband comes inside to investigate why their dog is barking and finds her with these two boys inside the house. Things go downhill fast.

The rest is pure torture- but not too brutally shown. What makes it soo eerie is the fact that the boys have been wearing gloves the entire time and no one seems to notice. This is not a movie for someone who can't stand to see a child being tortured as well. Yes, even the child isn't spared. The whole thing was just sadistic in nature.

This is a game, a funny one. One in which the game is your life and either way you will lose. How you lose is up to you. But all will lose this funny game. These two 'masterminds' are nothing but bored kids who have nothing better to do and show no empathy. What makes the movie hard to swallow is the game is almost never ending. Once they take over a home and its occupants they are introduced to more neighbors and the cycle just continues. Never let a stranger into your home.

I gave this movie three stars because whether I like it or not it plays like any other murder committed in real life. Most victims don't get happy endings due to their bravado or quick thinking. In fact theres an interesting scene in which Naomi is brave enough to shoot an intruder and the scene just rewinds itself and replays as if it never happened. The intruders have power over the family and they emotionally rape them long before they end the game. Its too dark for me to give a second viewing...I don't even want it in my house. It was almost like watching a real life grizzly home invasion from the comfort of my own home...which makes the experience all the more gross.

Wind Chill
Wind Chill
DVD ~ Emily Blunt
Price: $9.99
88 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Out in the cold, September 5, 2007
This review is from: Wind Chill (DVD)
You almost needed a magnifying glass to spot this one! I picked this one up because of the very talented Emily Blunt and the plot seemed downright frightening.

The film starts out with a mega bitchy Emily Blunt, her character is unnamed in the film, finishing her final exams and texting her friend with her holiday plans. It seems that she will have to take a bus to commute home and her friend tells her to go check the board at school to see if she can catch a ride with a fellow student. She finds a creepy guy going in her direction and they set off for Delaware!! But once in the car you can feel the tension between the two passengers. He wants to talk and she wants to block him out. He kind of gives it away that he doesn't even live in Delaware and this whole thing was just so that they could 'spend some alone time together'. By this time she is completely freaked and demands that he pull over but this is all brushed aside when a mystery car comes into the night and forces them off the road.

This wouldn't be a scary movie if it was a nice grassy plain they crashed into. No- they crash into a snow bank at night on the creepiest highway EVER. The film takes place in the course of a day- and that just makes it that much scarier. They have no heat and the driver has sustained some injuries thanks to their collision. But who can care about the 28 below temperature when ghosts are seen just walking up and down the street? It seems that this highway is haunted by more than just one ghost.

There is so much tension all throughout this movie and it adds to the suspense. Imagine being stuck in an old car in the dead of winter with terrifying creatures just coming in and out of focus. Although I do NOT believe in ghosts I found that for the most part the film was very believable. Emily Blunt shines as she becomes completely vulnerable by the end of the film. Ashton Holmes is good as well.

I watched this at night in the middle of summer and I had to get a blanket. The special features provided a more in depth look at the story behind the movie. This is not your typical gore fest horror- it is more of a suspenseful ghost story that takes place in a car in the middle of nowhere at night surrounded by snow. All in all I would have to say that I recommend this film to anyone who likes claustrophobic thrillers and creepy ghost stories.

Year of the Dog
Year of the Dog
DVD ~ Molly Shannon
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $5.99
248 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Year of the Dog has no bite, August 29, 2007
This review is from: Year of the Dog (DVD)
I rented this movie thinking it would be something more than it was and when it was over I just felt relieved. The plot is simple enough. Peggy Spade loses her beloved dog,Pencil, and has to cope with life afterwards. She puts her hopes into meeting a man to change her life, but is always disappointed. Then she discovers that she cares more about animals than people and joins groups like PETA. But she takes it a step too far. She almost becomes enraged and a little crazy with her new cause and goes WAY overboard. While I knew that this would be quirky and different I expected a romantic comedy. But maybe this movie was trying to go in another direction. But the direction it followed was uncomfortable and at times obsurd.

Her character takes a major turn toward crazy pretty darn fast and I found it unbelievable. Would you ever adopt 15 dogs in one day and just let them poop everywhere? Would you really start stealing from your boss in order to donate money to a rescue center? Or would you ever break into your neighbor's house and try to attack him because he is a hunter? Or could you ever take a little girl to a slaughter house? While some of these scenes started out funny they became just wierd and over dramatic. I am a zoologist and I love animals, but animal lovers are not crazy and this isn't a fair portrayl.

I didn't hate this movie but I wasn't moved by it. I liked the premise and the actors- I just don't think the script was that good. It is not a 'bad' movie- but it isn't worth a second viewing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3