Profile for AC > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 90

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AC RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
RSVP Endurance Mini Pie Pan, 6"
RSVP Endurance Mini Pie Pan, 6"
Offered by MetaRetail
Price: $8.95
8 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Pan!, September 14, 2014
I bought this pan last year, and like it so much that I've just bought another. The metal is thick and I have had no trouble with rusting. The shiny surface produces a crisp, flaky brown crust. If you like to roll your crust thin, make half the recipe for an 8-inch two crust pie. If you like your crust thicker, make half the 9-inch recipe and have a little extra dough to cut into shapes and cook like shortbread cookies.

Murphy's Mosquito Candle - All Natural Insect Repellent Candle - Palm wax infused with Citronella, Lemongrass & Rosemary. Made in Raleigh, NC!
Offered by Sumner Place
Price: $12.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, September 14, 2014
This was OK, but it didn't work as well as the Coleman 3% citronella candles that I bought at my local K-Mart, and it was much more expensive. The only advantage of this product is the metal can with a lid to contain the odor of the product when not in use.

Sawyer Products Premium Ultra 30% DEET Insect Repellent in Liposome Base Lotion, 3-Ounce
Price: $6.47
8 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sawyer 30% vs Ben's 100%--One trip, two products, September 14, 2014
I just got home from a tent camping trip at Hunting Island, SC. Our walk-in tent site was nestled among palmettos, next to one of many small ponds. The mosquitoes swarmed around us constantly, and they were ready to bite.

I bought a bottle of this product because I dread having to use our usual standby, Ben's 100% Max Formula. The Ben's product is extremely oily and has a strong, unpleasant odor. This Sawyer product feels like ordinary body lotion, and the odor is much less pronounced. It's actually pleasant to apply after a shower.

BUT-- I found that it did not repel the bugs as effectively, and I had to reapply it about twice as often. It was OK for riding the bike paths through the maritime forest, but as soon as I got back to camp, I would reach for the Ben's.

For my next tent camping trip in prime mosquito habitat, I will take the Ben's and leave the Sawyer's at home. If I have indoor lodgings, or camp under less severe conditions, Sawyer Ultra 30% will be my first choice.

Caltrate Calcium Supplement with Vitamin D and Minerals, Chewable Tablets 90 ea
Caltrate Calcium Supplement with Vitamin D and Minerals, Chewable Tablets 90 ea
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $12.83
5 used & new from $8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars New Does Not Equal Better, August 20, 2014
I took the "old" chewable Caltrate Calcium with Vitamin D and Minerals for many years. When my Subscribe and Save program was cancelled, I tried the non-chewable tablets but found them hard to swallow because they are very large. When I finally used them up, I saw these in the grocery store and tried them. The new tablets are smaller and brightly colored. THEY TASTE TERRIBLE! The chalky quality of the old chewables is gone, but these have the disgusting, overly sweet flavor of artificial sweeteners, maybe to try to cover up the bitter flavor of the excessive artificial color. When this bottle is gone, if I cannot find the old chewables, I will go back to the non-chewables.

Social Security Made Simple: Social Security Retirement Benefits and Related Planning Topics Explained in 100 Pages or Less
by Mike Piper
Price: $10.98
40 used & new from $8.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise, but--???, April 7, 2014
This short book explains the Social Security retirement program very clearly. After reading it, I understand the basics of the program and what I need to do to get signed up and make the most of my benefits.

However, much of the advice is centered around the idea of spending down my own savings first in order to delay getting Social Security, so that the monthly benefit will be more. I'm not comfortable with that idea, because, as we all know, the Social Security program is facing a tough future with major cutbacks. What if I spend down my savings, and then benefits are cut drastically just before I'm ready to start collecting them? Will I end up having to go back to work although advanced in years? I didn't feel that the author addressed this possibility, which I think is very real. I'm going to get my financial advisor's opinion on this before making any plans to do it this way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 10:29 AM PDT

Maximize Your Medicare: Understanding Medicare, Protecting Your Health, and Minimizing Costs
by Jae W. Oh
Price: $10.55
33 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the free guide at www.medicare.gov, April 7, 2014
I went online to buy "Medicare for Dummies" and decided on this book instead.The wording is so awkward that I couldn't follow what the author is trying to say. Eventually I downloaded "Medicare and You," the free guide from the Medicare website. It is much easier to follow and is up to date with this year's information. Once I have a basic understanding of Medicare, maybe "Maximize Your Medicare" will make sense. I wish I'd stuck with my original plan to buy the AARP-sponsored "Medicare for Dummies." Now I really feel like a dummy, spending my money on something nearly useless.

Mama Says: A Book of Love for Mothers and Sons (Dillon, Leo & Diane)
Mama Says: A Book of Love for Mothers and Sons (Dillon, Leo & Diane)
by Rob D. Walker
Edition: Library Binding
Price: $12.75
103 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down, February 12, 2014
I just bought this to give to my grandson as a Valentine's day gift, and I can't put it down. I keep finding more and more to see in the illustrations that fill out the simple lines of the verses. Mamas from many cultures teach universal human truths to their sons. The words are simple and easy to remember, and the pictures are filled with rich details, including wonderful facial expressions on the mothers as they teach and then step back to see the results. Even the references to religious faith are free of dogmatism. Rather, the variety is celebrated and we see how all these messages are needed. I finished the book feeling that if we are producing young people like the ones pictured at the end of the book, there is hope for the would.

ClearQuest Dog and Cat Dental Solution, 8-Ounce
ClearQuest Dog and Cat Dental Solution, 8-Ounce
Price: $10.99
5 used & new from $8.90

3.0 out of 5 stars My cats don't like it, February 7, 2014
I'm convinced this is a great product, but I haven't been able to persuade my cats to drink their water after I add it. I tried cutting the amount down to 1/4 teaspoon per cup, but they still wouldn't go near it. Instead, they started drinking from the toilet--the first time either of them has ever done so. When I stopped using this additive, they started drinking from their water bowls again. I'm very disappointed , because neither of my cats will tolerate having their teeth brushed. This was not the answer for me.

Ozeri 4x3motion Digital Pocket 3D Pedometer with Tri-Axis Technology, Yellow
Ozeri 4x3motion Digital Pocket 3D Pedometer with Tri-Axis Technology, Yellow
Offered by Moderna Housewares LLC
Price: $39.95
3 used & new from $15.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Resets to 0 without warning and inaccurate too, February 7, 2014
There are several things I like about this pedometer.
1--The bright yellow color makes it easy to find.
2--The lanyard is easily detachable.
3--It was not too hard to figure out how to use it. I even figured out that since it resets daily at midnight and I don't go to bed until 1 AM, I can set the clock two hours behind and capture all the steps I take each day.

Except I can't, because during the week I've had it, on 3 days it has lost all the programmed settings and my recorded steps for the day. This makes it useless. On the days it happens, I'm not aware of anything I'm doing differently--I haven't dropped it, put it near a cell phone, pushed the "Mode" button, etc. I will continue to troubleshoot for a couple more days, but I'm expecting to return it because I think it is defective.

Less than 24 hours later, I'm editing this review to report a new issue--on my daily walk, I counted as I walked 50 steps. The pedometer counted 86 steps. It's going back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 7:24 AM PST

Comfort Zone with Feliway for Cats Diffuser and Single Refill
Comfort Zone with Feliway for Cats Diffuser and Single Refill
Price: $24.71
14 used & new from $20.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product with a few problems, December 31, 2013
My vet recommended the Feliway diffuser for helping my 3-year-old spayed female accept a 2-year-old neutered male who recently came to live with us. Conflict between the cats had not escalated to spraying or physical violence, but we seemed to be headed in that direction. I was very skeptical about this product because of the wide variety of negative and positive reviews

My vet and the package instructions both recommend 3 diffusers for my 1250 sq. ft. home, but I started with one and placed it in the kitchen, close to the chair where Miss Crabby spends most of her indoor time. Almost immediately, she showed less aggression toward Mr. Newcomer. As a result, he has been more assertive about exercising his right to food, water, and the cat door. That has led to some growling matches and a few chase scenes, but much milder and less ill-natured than before.

After about a week, I noticed a smell like incompletely burned kerosene in the kitchen. On the product's website, I learned that this odor is considered normal. Because I'm sensitive to many odors, I couldn't ignore it. I unplugged the diffuser and found spilled oil on the outside of it. It was plugged in close to some drapes; perhaps while opening or closing the drapes, we may have bumped into the diffuser and caused the spill, or maybe the drapes themselves caused poor diffusion of the product. Using a facial tissue, I wiped all parts of the diffuser that I could reach, and left it unplugged for about 24 hours. During that time we had a couple of major skirmishes, so I plugged it back in. When I get a couple of spare minutes, I'll rearrange a few things so I can plug it in another receptacle that isn't so close to anything else. Even if I have to unplug and wipe the diffuser regularly, it's worth the trouble.

I was so impressed with the first diffuser that I ordered two more. They arrived yesterday, but one of the two new boxes contained only the refill and not the diffuser. I have no idea whether it came from the factory that way, or if another customer got a free refill by removing the diffuser and returning the half-empty box. In the holiday season rush, the Amazon staff would be hard pressed to notice the missing diffuser. I'm returning it for replacement, and installing the other one close to the cat door.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9