Profile for Nadine > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nadine RSS Feed (Michigan, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Richeson Lyptus Deluxe Table Top.
Richeson Lyptus Deluxe Table Top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 20, 2014
Beautifully built table easle. Love it!

Oil Painting Lessons with Rembrandt and 'Calcite Sun Oil': Artist's Health and Safety without Hazardous Solvents Resins Varnishes and Driers
by Louis R. Velasquez
Price: $18.50
20 used & new from $18.23

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to creating your own painting mediums and other ..., July 20, 2014
An excellent guide to creating your own painting mediums and other interesting info. While the book could have used some better organization and editing, I refer to it a great deal and will keep this as one of my favorite go-to art reference books. Thank you Mr. Velasquez!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 9:10 PM PDT

Hudson's:  Detroit's  Legendary  Department  Store   (MI)  (Images  of  America)
Hudson's: Detroit's Legendary Department Store (MI) (Images of America)
by Michael Hauser
Price: $17.15
46 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories will rush back in waves of glorious nostalgia!, September 25, 2012
This is truly a MAGNIFICENT book for reminding you of how prosperous and exciting the downtown Hudsons and Detroit used to be. In a sense, it may also make your heart ache at what we all have also lost - the glory days of Detroit at its peak of fortune.

Be that as it may, this book will peel back the years, and if you read this thoroughly, (a lighted magnifying glass will aide you considerably) and not just glance over the photos, you will almost be transported back to a much better time in our history. I almost feel as if I've been time-traveling!

J. L. Hudson's was always on the cutting edge of fashion and technology, and it paralelled the flourishing of Detroit during the 20th century. It is so important that we not let that memory fade into oblivion. I'm completely amazed at the complexity of the operation that was Hudsons, how many people and systems that had to be in place in order for it to run as smoothly as it did, and what an extraordinary example it was of what man's cooordinated efforts can produce. J.L Hudson's epitomized all of it.

My only criticism of the book is that I wish that it had a few color photos. But with your magnifying glass, you will still see the real ART that thrust this department store to it's iconic place.

Anyway, I'm LOVING immersing myself in this book so much that I know that I will now have to also purchase the 2nd Hudsons book in this Image of America series. This is a `MUST HAVE!' for Detroiters!

Floating Gold: A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris
Floating Gold: A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris
by Christopher Kemp
Price: $17.21
57 used & new from $6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Risky Business!, May 1, 2012
I found this book to be fascinating! The secrecy and clandestine nature of the history of such a rare commodity as authentic ambergris is present to this very day. The author of this fine, small tome has grazed the edges of veiled threat by pursuing information about the places and people who hunt for beach-cast ambergris, and his inquiry into this cloistered `club' was met with the most emphatic ostracism and silence.

Since most people will never see or smell ambergris, or even care that it exists, it's not surprising that the subject has so little in-depth and reliable documentation. Do many people even know that it had value as a gourmet condiment throughout history, and was/is one of the gems of the perfume industry? Most mention of it seems to be anecdotal in nature. And because there is so much confusion about even identifying it, and obtaining even the smallest piece is a trial of some expense and trust, it really has fallen into the realm of myth, rather than reality.

Mr. Kemp, inflamed by a sensational local New Zealand newscast, tenaciously pursued a way to satisfy his own curiosity about this product of Sperm whale excrement, and this adventure, while undoubtedly intensely frustrating at times, is really worth reading about. He encounters many closed doors and is given the cold shoulder the majority of the time, but his sincerity was apparent to some, and they allowed him to step into the back room of museums and personal collections to analyze the properties that most of us would like to understand about ambergris, and he punctuates this with peoples subjective perceptions of how the different grades of it smell and feel.

I think this book was sorely needed and Mr. Kemp did a splendid job fleshing out some of the reality of the back-breaking and risky business of the ambergris trade. He does this with the perfect balance of empirical evidence and a sense of humor. BTW, where can I get a bottle of 'Eau de Christopher Kemp?

Night Time
Night Time
Price: $9.99
47 used & new from $4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and Primal!, May 9, 2010
This review is from: Night Time (Audio CD)
This album contains some of the most powerful and mesmerizing music that I have ever experienced. Killing Joke were/are so influential, unique and fit into a category all of their own. They are the sound of our throbbing, tribal heart, the soul of the warrior and the cry of the masses. Paul Ferguson drummed this group into the ethers, and I will always be grateful for the conviction and potent vigor that they imbued their music with. It never ceases to animate my spirit and strengthen me. It hearkens back to an atavistic beat of the collective human soul. These bards are timeless! Thank you a million times over, Killing Joke!

The Scent Trail: How One Woman's Quest for the Perfect Perfume Took Her Around the World
by Celia Lyttelton
Price: $11.74
93 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Passionate Journey!, October 23, 2009
Any perfume lover will enjoy reading about this passionate adventure and will identify with Celia Littleton's determined pilgrimage to the origins of the oils and resins of her custom perfume. Although some of her descriptions seem a bit too abbreviated, she does bring to life her obvious desire to seek scholarship and pay homage to the luscious and precious ingredients of her favorite fragrance materials. I commend her for her tenacious efforts; it is something very few perfume lovers could do. There are some surprisingly interesting observations and cultural facets in this book, and I found it quite compelling. All-in-all, I really enjoyed this journey with her. Thanks Celia, for doing what many of us can only dream of doing!

The Lexicon: An Unauthorized Guide to Harry Potter Fiction and Related Materials
by Steve Vander Ark
Price: $22.46
95 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wealth of Information and Fun!, January 22, 2009
While you will not understand the magic that J.K. Rowling created in her Harry Potter series without reading the books first, you will however, be able to reference just about any specific person, place or thing ever used in the series by name with this delightful tome. It is obvious that it was created by loving hands and minds, and so it is a treasure to any true HP fan! With all due respect to this book, it will not overshadow any future encyclopedic digest that J.K. Rowling may produce herself; but for the time being, it is one very handy volume and a very useful source to the world of Harry Potter! A wealth of information and fun!

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition (Offered Exclusively by Amazon)
by J. K. Rowling
37 used & new from $139.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic for Muggles!, January 22, 2009
A magical book that even Muggles appreciate! FABULOUS job, Amazon! I will treasure this terrific Harry Potter keepsake!

DogBones NeckBones Chiropractic Neck Pillow, Lava
DogBones NeckBones Chiropractic Neck Pillow, Lava

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL for good sleeping!, January 22, 2009
The Bone Pillow is the absolute best answer to comfortable sleeping! They're soft, yet supportive, easy to manage, travel with and keep clean! I have used and loved my bone pillows for years, and they are absolutely essential to me, One goes everywhere I go to sleep. It doesn't matter if I'm in bed, lying on the couch or in a chair reading a book, the bone pillow has become the mainstay of my comfortable relaxation. It is always the first thing I pack when I travel, because even if I'm stuck in a strange bed, these pillows always make it easier to fall asleep. I still have my feather pillows, but the bone pillow is what is ALWAYS under my head/neck. I just LOVE them! My husband loves them too. I wish they were more readily available in retail stores.

An Ancient Egyptian Herbal
An Ancient Egyptian Herbal
by Lise Manniche
16 used & new from $80.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure for those interested in historic medicine!!, January 8, 2009
Overall, I think this book is just terrific! It is very well researched and documented, as you'd expect from a true scientist. Dr. Manniche covers a wide range of herbal evidence available in ancient text and hieroglyphic iconography, compiling all this treasured info in a beautifully concise way. She also uses her extensive knowledge to extrapolate some possible herbal usages, which really makes this book a step above the normal dry text it might have been without it. But she doesn't overstep her scientific bounds.

There are plenty of black and white illustrations, but I would have loved to have seen some color plates in this book, as there must be a plethora of examples in Egyptian imagery to enhance her in-depth treatise. It really left me craving MORE!! This is a splendid book for anyone interested in the ancient roots of our medical history, and I hope that as new evidence reveals itself, that she will update this book in coming years. This has a special niche on my bookshelf!

Page: 1 | 2