Profile for Internet shopper > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Internet shopper "Retired but not tired!" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Alfa R36 802.11 b, g N, Repeater and Range Extender for AWUS036H can also be used as a 3G Router - Enables you to Extend to Signal that is picked up by the AWUS036H and distribute the internet to multiple Users (Desktops, Laptops, tablets, iPods or iPad) - AWUS036H is Not Included
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $59.99
7 used & new from $56.98

1.0 out of 5 stars They work great until they die., October 3, 2014
I have now gone through 3 of these over the last 3 years. But it's the only kit I have found that is compact enough for travel.
... and with the flat antenna you can pull in Wi-Fi networks that don't even show up on your laptop or phone.
It is great for hotels with weak Wi-Fi or to share the internet connection with a neighbor.
As an example without the kit I get 0.1 to 0.3 Mbps. With this kit (but using the optional flat antenna) the data speed increases to 12 to 16 Mbps.

Please note the manufacturer (Alfa Networks) does not provide a warranty on their products.
On the first one the radio stopped working
The second and third one just stopped working completely.
... and yes I did try to reset and reinstall the firmware etc.

Insanity is described as trying the same thing again and again and expecting different results.
Any suggestions for an alternative product would be welcome.

FortrezZ WWA02AAUSW - Z-Wave Water & Temperature Sensor - White
FortrezZ WWA02AAUSW - Z-Wave Water & Temperature Sensor - White
Offered by JMAC Supply
Price: $48.18
6 used & new from $40.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work well with my VeraLite, October 3, 2014
I am not impressed with this unit.

The range is poor, will not stay connected at 20 feet from the controller (line of sight - no walls in-between).

When first configured it showed up on the VeraLite as a generic sensor with an ON/OFF button.
It did not even show the temperature.

After going back and forth with Vera tech support they configured it to show the temperature. But still without the flood sensor interface. Fortunately I don't need the flood warning.

I tried to return it to JMAC supply but got the message that they don't accept returns.
In fairness after contacting JMAC they offered to refund the purchase.
However I NEEDED to monitor the temperature before leaving on a trip so I decided to keep it.

NOTE: I have not tried it with other controllers - only the VeraLite with firmware 1.7.318 and subsequently 1.7.374 (Upgraded Sep 27 2014 and still current at the time of writing)

Magnetic Phone Mount with Textured Dashboard / Windshield / Desktop Suction Technology By Gizmount , Upgraded Magnet N4.0, 2 X Mounting Plates , Universal Cradle-less Car Cell Phone GPS Holder, for Smartphone, Apple Iphone 4s 5 6 , Galaxy , Note, Nexus , HTC , Small Tablet, Satisfaction Guaranteed
Offered by Marlow's Mercantile
Price: $15.99
4 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best mount I have ever had for a cell phone!, October 3, 2014
It just works!!!
- The suction cup even attaches to my "leather" textured dashboard.
- Has been installed for a couple of months - HAS NOT FAILED YET*
- No alignment needed when "throwing" the cell phone on to the mount.

I use it with a Nexus 5 phone with a Rinke Fusion protective case.
For firm adherence by the magnet I use it with one of the magnetic metal plates supplied in the kit. Mine is placed inside the cover.
The kit contains two magnetic plates one with adhesive backing and one without. You can even use the one with adhesive (without peeling the back off) under the cover on another phone.

* The car has often been sitting in the hot sun but the suction cup has not come off yet (in contrast to the suction cup on my Garmin Nuvi that comes off anytime the sun shines on it - and yes it is mounted on the shiny plate that comes with the Garmin mount)

NOTE: Sometimes I do notice some slight vibration of the phone but not enough to remove a star.

Yale Security YRL-220-ZW-605 Real Living Touchscreen Lever Door Lock with Z-Wave Technology, Polished Brass
Price: $241.10
9 used & new from $167.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lock - but there is a detail you should know about..., September 20, 2014
This lock is great and you can program it manually or via Z - Wave control.
I installed the lock before my VeraLite controller arrived. I therefore programmed the codes for the entire family using the touch screen on the lock.

No surprises, it just works.
However there is a detail you should know about.
If you do as I did, configure the lock manually via the touch screen (without Z-Wave); you will loose all the user codes you have entered manually when you subsequently connect it to the Z - Wave controller.
It is not a big deal because it is easier to enter codes with user names via the VeraLite interface than manually on the lock.
NOTE: You do not loose your master code at any time - this is still stored in the lock.

I HAVE TO SAY THIS LOCK WHEN USED WITH VeraLite IS THE BEST FUNCTIONING Z-WAVE PIECE OF HARDWARE THAT I HAVE INSTALLED.
... and the family loves it!

It has been in HEAVY use for over two weeks and the batteries still show 98% charge.

Micron SATA NAND 2.5-Inch C400 Solid State Drive 128GB MTFDDAC128MAM-1J1 9.5mm
Micron SATA NAND 2.5-Inch C400 Solid State Drive 128GB MTFDDAC128MAM-1J1 9.5mm
Offered by Sunrise Nanotech
Price: $129.95
3 used & new from $100.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Micron SSD at all cost., January 25, 2014
Same problem as reported by Cathy Jiang.
Blue screen came up frequently and eventually the drive crashed with all data lost. Just 14 months old.

This drive came standard in an Acer Aspire S3 391-9415-US.

What can you learn from that.
If the blue screen suggests you have a problem with a drive BACK UP RIGHT AWAY.
... and change the drive.

We have two laptops running with the Samsung 840 series SSD. NEVER A PROBLEM - KNOCK ON WOOD.

UPDATE...
One of my friends also bought the Acer Aspire S3 391-9415-US (a week later than we did) and the Micron SSD crashed 3 weeks after ours.

Skylink HA-434RTL Long Range Motion Alert Kit; Be notified of your surroundings.
Price: $29.99
10 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and reliable alert system for peace of mind (and sleep)., June 22, 2013
We have had this system running with 4 motion sensors every night for 18 months and never had a false alarm. The remote sensors are mounted indoors and cover garage, basement and rooms with potential entry points for intruders.
A second system covers the open patio area; occasionally we get an alarm if a squirrel enters the area outside our bedroom window as it is supposed to do when motion is detected.
The unit monitoring the indoor sensors is set at full alarm (siren) and the one monitoring the patio is set to beep.

We have never had a false alarm with this system.

The batteries in the remote motion sensors last 6 to 7 months (for the ones mounted in the high traffic areas) but I change all of them every 6 months to simplify life.

Disclaimer, I am retired and do not work for or have stock in any company. I write reviews because I use them extensively myself before I make a purchasing decision.

2 Pack of Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi Booster RP-SMA Panel High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa AWUS036H, AWUS036H1W, AWUS036NHV, AWUS036NHR, AWUS036NHA, AWUS051NH, AWUS036EW, AWUS036NEH, AWUS036NH, AWUS050NH, AIPW610H, APA05, WUS048NH and R36

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the signal strength fool you!, September 26, 2012
At first I checked the signal strength using InSSIDer (free test program) and found ONLY ONE dBm improvement using this 7 dBi panel antenna.

However...
The (free) Speakeasy's online speed test jumped from 0.9 to 13.24 Mbps download speed and 0.55 to 10.94 Mbps upload speed by replacing the 4-inch 5 DdBi Screw-On Swivel Rubber Antenna that originally came with the Alfa AWUS036H WiFi network Adapter with this 7 dBi panel antenna.

You may have been happy with original 4" rubber antenna but you will be EXTREMELY HAPPY with this Panel Antenna.

Test
I ran the test by connecting to the neighbor's wireless router located approximately 100+ feet away. In addition the signal had to travel through several walls.
We normally get 21.6 Mbps download speed and 3.5 Mbps upload speed using a wired connection.

Mini 7mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Microscope Endoscope Borescope
Mini 7mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Microscope Endoscope Borescope
Offered by VegasWind
Price: $37.21
8 used & new from $37.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Camera not working, July 13, 2012
The camera we received did not function properly. We have tried it on two computers (Win 7 and XP). The image is showing green noise on either PC. Totally useless!!!
The included SuperEyes software ran without a problem on either computer.

Caution; you may want think twice before purchasing this camera from BrainyTrade USA because you have to pay for return shipping even when the product is defective.
There is no Customer Service number shown anywhere on the packaging or the packing slip.

For me it is a "no brainer" I will not purchase anything from BrainyTrade again.

UPDATE
In fairness, the company offered a prepaid UPS shipping option after I had put this review up.
Subsequently they offered to pay for the shipping that I had paid to USPS
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 6:47 AM PST

HoMedics SC-505 Body Fat Analyzer And Scale
HoMedics SC-505 Body Fat Analyzer And Scale
Offered by Center Aisle LLC
Price: $23.65
2 used & new from $23.65

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS SCALE, May 21, 2012
Totally inaccurate, puts out random numbers plus or minus 1.5 lbs and sometimes 2 pounds. This is variance of 3 to 4 lbs.
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod
Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod
Price: $3.02
33 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Zeikos ZE-TR5A is exellent (but not what I received) CAUTION, May 4, 2012
CAUTION YOU MAY RECEIVE A REPLICA THAT STINKS!
I have purchased two of these from Amazon. The first one was trademarked Zeikos (on the clip) and is excellent but the second one is of inferior quality (shipped by Amazing Deal). The part number and description is the same - as I selected it from my previous order history when I reordered. The one from Amazing Deal is a cheap replica with an awful smell and the round balls on the legs falls off.
The legs on the genuine Zeikos are flexible and they stay in place in contrast to the replica which spring back and won't stay in place (a terrible product).
I complained to Amazing Deal and they refunded my purchase.
I had to shop elsewhere online to get the genuine Zeikos.

The genuine Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod deserves ***** 5 stars and the replica no stars (not even one).

The first (genuine) one was shipped by Overstocks