Profile for Internet shopper > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Internet shopper "Retired but not tired!" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Yale Security YRL-220-ZW-605 Real Living Touchscreen Lever Door Lock with Z-Wave Technology, Polished Brass
Price: $237.84
8 used & new from $234.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lock - but there is a detail you should know about..., September 20, 2014
This lock is great and you can program it manually or via Z - Wave control.
I installed the lock before my VeraLite controller arrived. I therefore programmed the codes for the entire family using the touch screen on the lock.

No surprises, it just works.
However there is a detail you should know about.
If you do as I did, configure the lock manually via the touch screen (without Z-Wave); you will loose all the user codes you have entered manually when you subsequently connect it to the Z - Wave controller.
It is not a big deal because it is easier to enter codes with user names via the VeraLite interface than manually on the lock.
NOTE: You do not loose your master code at any time - this is still stored in the lock.

I HAVE TO SAY THIS LOCK WHEN USED WITH VeraLite IS THE BEST FUNCTIONING Z-WAVE PIECE OF HARDWARE THAT I HAVE INSTALLED.
... and the family loves it!

It has been in HEAVY use for over two weeks and the batteries still show 98% charge.

Micron SATA NAND 2.5-Inch C400 Solid State Drive 128GB MTFDDAC128MAM-1J1 9.5mm
Micron SATA NAND 2.5-Inch C400 Solid State Drive 128GB MTFDDAC128MAM-1J1 9.5mm
Offered by Sunrise Nanotech
Price: $129.95
3 used & new from $100.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Micron SSD at all cost., January 25, 2014
Same problem as reported by Cathy Jiang.
Blue screen came up frequently and eventually the drive crashed with all data lost. Just 14 months old.

This drive came standard in an Acer Aspire S3 391-9415-US.

What can you learn from that.
If the blue screen suggests you have a problem with a drive BACK UP RIGHT AWAY.
... and change the drive.

We have two laptops running with the Samsung 840 series SSD. NEVER A PROBLEM - KNOCK ON WOOD.

UPDATE...
One of my friends also bought the Acer Aspire S3 391-9415-US (a week later than we did) and the Micron SSD crashed 3 weeks after ours.

Skylink HA-434RTL Long Range Motion Alert Kit; Be notified of your surroundings.
Price: $29.99
11 used & new from $26.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and reliable alert system for peace of mind (and sleep)., June 22, 2013
We have had this system running with 4 motion sensors every night for 18 months and never had a false alarm. The remote sensors are mounted indoors and cover garage, basement and rooms with potential entry points for intruders.
A second system covers the open patio area; occasionally we get an alarm if a squirrel enters the area outside our bedroom window as it is supposed to do when motion is detected.
The unit monitoring the indoor sensors is set at full alarm (siren) and the one monitoring the patio is set to beep.

We have never had a false alarm with this system.

The batteries in the remote motion sensors last 6 to 7 months (for the ones mounted in the high traffic areas) but I change all of them every 6 months to simplify life.

Disclaimer, I am retired and do not work for or have stock in any company. I write reviews because I use them extensively myself before I make a purchasing decision.

2 Pack of Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi Booster RP-SMA Panel High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa AWUS036H, AWUS036H1W, AWUS036NHV, AWUS036NHR, AWUS036NHA, AWUS051NH, AWUS036EW, AWUS036NEH, AWUS036NH, AWUS050NH, AIPW610H, APA05, WUS048NH and R36
Offered by DBROTH

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the signal strength fool you!, September 26, 2012
At first I checked the signal strength using InSSIDer (free test program) and found ONLY ONE dBm improvement using this 7 dBi panel antenna.

However...
The (free) Speakeasy's online speed test jumped from 0.9 to 13.24 Mbps download speed and 0.55 to 10.94 Mbps upload speed by replacing the 4-inch 5 DdBi Screw-On Swivel Rubber Antenna that originally came with the Alfa AWUS036H WiFi network Adapter with this 7 dBi panel antenna.

You may have been happy with original 4" rubber antenna but you will be EXTREMELY HAPPY with this Panel Antenna.

Test
I ran the test by connecting to the neighbor's wireless router located approximately 100+ feet away. In addition the signal had to travel through several walls.
We normally get 21.6 Mbps download speed and 3.5 Mbps upload speed using a wired connection.

Mini 7mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Microscope Endoscope Borescope
Mini 7mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Microscope Endoscope Borescope
Offered by BrainyTrade
Price: $39.99
8 used & new from $37.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Camera not working, July 13, 2012
The camera we received did not function properly. We have tried it on two computers (Win 7 and XP). The image is showing green noise on either PC. Totally useless!!!
The included SuperEyes software ran without a problem on either computer.

Caution; you may want think twice before purchasing this camera from BrainyTrade USA because you have to pay for return shipping even when the product is defective.
There is no Customer Service number shown anywhere on the packaging or the packing slip.

For me it is a "no brainer" I will not purchase anything from BrainyTrade again.

UPDATE
In fairness, the company offered a prepaid UPS shipping option after I had put this review up.
Subsequently they offered to pay for the shipping that I had paid to USPS
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 6:47 AM PST

HoMedics SC-505 Body Fat Analyzer And Scale
HoMedics SC-505 Body Fat Analyzer And Scale
Offered by Center Aisle LLC
Price: $23.65
2 used & new from $23.65

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS SCALE, May 21, 2012
Totally inaccurate, puts out random numbers plus or minus 1.5 lbs and sometimes 2 pounds. This is variance of 3 to 4 lbs.
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod
Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod
Price: $3.90
33 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Zeikos ZE-TR5A is exellent (but not what I received) CAUTION, May 4, 2012
CAUTION YOU MAY RECEIVE A REPLICA THAT STINKS!
I have purchased two of these from Amazon. The first one was trademarked Zeikos (on the clip) and is excellent but the second one is of inferior quality (shipped by Amazing Deal). The part number and description is the same - as I selected it from my previous order history when I reordered. The one from Amazing Deal is a cheap replica with an awful smell and the round balls on the legs falls off.
The legs on the genuine Zeikos are flexible and they stay in place in contrast to the replica which spring back and won't stay in place (a terrible product).
I complained to Amazing Deal and they refunded my purchase.
I had to shop elsewhere online to get the genuine Zeikos.

The genuine Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod deserves ***** 5 stars and the replica no stars (not even one).

The first (genuine) one was shipped by Overstocks

Samsung NP700Z5A-S03US 15.6-Inch Laptop
Samsung NP700Z5A-S03US 15.6-Inch Laptop
2 used & new from $899.49

5.0 out of 5 stars 15" Samsung Series 7 Laptop - Poor Wi-Fi performance - NOT THIS ONE!, March 22, 2012
Our biggest concern before buying this Samsung Series 7 laptop was the horror stories relating to poor Wi-Fi performance for units equipped with the Broadcom Wi-Fi card.
But a family member wanted it and asked me to set it up. I have now had a chance to use it for the last 6 weeks.
Fortunately Wi-Fi turned out to be OK (details below).

This laptop is fast, quiet and runs cool. The matte anti-glare display is very pleasing and bright.
It is a pleasure to use, the backlit keyboard is a must, no more fumbling in the dark.
It's also great that it is equipped with a full size HDMI port for connecting to a TV etc. By the way, it switches automatically to the dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics board when plugging into the HDMI.
Two of the three USB ports are USB 3.0 (great for fast data transfer to external drives)
It has a very large TrackPad which obeys somewhat similar hand-gestures you may have become used to from smart phone displays. I am a mouse fan and turn the pad off because my thumbs rest on it when I type making the cursor jump all over.
This Series 7 SO3US model comes with Win 7 Pro and a factory recovery disk that allows you to do a clean install (nice touch and almost unheard of these days).

The -SO3US model may be the best value as compared to the other models -S0AUS, -S0BUS, -S04US, -S09US etc. because the S03 comes with the maximum 8GB RAM, 1GB of dedicated graphics memory and Win 7 Professional already installed (although one of the other models has 1TB HDD).
It has 8 GB of RAM and a 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD.

This Series 7 is faster than a typical PC equipped with HDD (Hard Disk Drive) because Samsung equipped the motherboard with an 8GB SSD (Solid State Drive) used for faster execution of programs and boot-up (as compared to a PC with HDD only).

The optical drive loads the DVD automatically when partly inserted into the slot (similar to a Mac). Push Fn and Delete simultaneously to eject (not mentioned in the Quick Start instructions).
I personally prefer the old fashioned mechanical tray-loader with a push button for opening. The disadvantage of the slot loader type is that it may not accept the small diameter CDs often containing drivers for accessories (I did not dare try).
But I guess it is a matter of preference because you may prefer to download drivers from the manufacturer(s) website which will ensure that you always get the latest/updated version.

WI-FI PERFORMANCE
As mentioned our biggest concern before buying was the horror stories relating to poor Wi-Fi performance of Samsung Series 7 laptops equipped with the Broadcom Wi-Fi card.

The first thing I did after opening the box was to test the Wi-Fi signal strength using inSSDer 2.1 (free software). A great tool, it will show you all the routers in your area including signal strength (and much more).

My hart almost stopped when comparing the 15" Series 7 with my own 17" Samsung RF711 S03US.
I could only see 3 routers on the 15" Series 7 whereas I could see at least 16 routers on the 17". Also the signal intensity measured in dB (decibel) was significantly stronger on the 17" (a smaller negative number indicates higher signal strength = closer to zero).
Any difference is significant as 3 dB increase represent a DOUBLING in strength.
I was ready to pack it up and send it back but decided to put it to the test using "LAN Speed Test" a highly effective program to map and troubleshoot transfer speeds in your network.

To my surprise the 15" with the Broadcom Wi-Fi board did better over "long" distances compared to the 17" with the Intel Wi-Fi board. As you will notice the 17" did better at short distances where the speed was 1.5 to 2 times higher but "relatively poorly" at longer distances.
In my opinion the 15" Samsung Series 7 with the Broadcom Wi-Fi card came out as the winner in these tests.
YOU CAN CLICK ON COMMENTS BELOW THIS REVIEW TO SEE THE ACTUAL TEST RESULTS.

SSD UPGRADE
The computer was fast in the factory configuration however if you desire EXTREME SPEED or longer battery life you can replace the original HDD with a SSD.
This is exactly what we did to this laptop and boy it's fast!
To find out how it's done click on this link .... Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC512N/AM 512 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Laptop Kit with Norton Ghost 15 and search in the reviews for the heading: "NEED FOR SPEED! You got it... and without losing the factory F4 recovery option. HERE IS HOW!"

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS LAPTOP TO A FRIEND?
Absolutely, the factory configuration and performance is excellent. It is very thin, light and perfect for travel.
Only users that need to manipulate large graphics/video files or perhaps have been "spoiled" by SSD systems may want to consider a SSD upgrade. (This category will also want their computers connected via a wired network).

Some early versions of the Series 7 laptops that hit the market may have Wi-Fi issues (as reported in some early reviews and complaints all over the internet) however if you have problems, the first thing to do would be to verify that you have the latest drivers (I have added the Driver details and HOW TO DO THE TEST as a comment below this review).

Before this purchase, we compared a lot of different laptops and eventually ended up with this one over the Sony Series S VAIO laptop. The Sonys (in the store) were running so hot that the back was unpleasant to the touch.

A couple of important points
This 7 Series is up and running in TWO SECONDS from sleep mode and a reboot takes 22 seconds.
You only reboot once a week when you use the Fast Start feature (it will ask you once a week).
Also the backlit keyboard is fast and pleasant.

I hope this review can bring some facts to the table regarding the ongoing Intel/Broadcom Wi-Fi discussion and also help you find the right laptop.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 7:15 AM PDT

Offered by eDealer

5.0 out of 5 stars NEED FOR SPEED! You got it... and without losing the factory F4 recovery option. HERE IS HOW!, March 13, 2012
This drive is FAST, FAST, FAST there is no way going back to traditional mechanical HDD (Hard Disk Drives).
Read no further, if you want a fast drive that works... THIS IS IT!

EASY
Surprisingly easy to set up and to transfer the Win 7 OS (Operating System).
You don't have to be a software expert to do this.
The SSD comes with USB/SATA cable and Norton Ghost 15 for transferring your "old" OS.

Actually, I thought I was in for a major task but it was VERY easy and fast.
Two laptops are now set up with the Samsung 830 Series drives. During this process I learned a couple things (explained below).

DECISIONS BEFORE YOU START
You can either:

1. Ghost the original OS and your installed programs to the new SSD (from the "old" HDD)
2. Or do a clean install of the OS on your new SSD.

You must have a recovery disk(s) (normally made by you when the computer is new) or an original OS disk to perform option 2.
Even an upgrade OS disk will work for a clean install as Microsoft has relaxed their policies (Google: Microsoft Says Windows 7 Install Workaround Is Legal)

Both options were available to me because both of our Samsung laptops came with the FULL version of Win 7 on DVD (very unusual these days - what a delight).
Models: Samsung 17" NP-RF711-S03US (SATA II) and Samsung 15.6" NP700Z5A-S03US (SATA III) now equipped with 256GB and 512GB SSDs respectively.

OPTION 1 - Very Quick
Ghosting is your best choice if the computer and OS is "fresh" out of the box.
It is also preferable if everything is running smoothly and you want to avoid reinstalling all your favorite programs.
You maintain all the drivers, factory software and your own software.
(But you also inherit any problems or bloatware* present on the current system).

*Promotional software you have to pay extra for after a trial period.

OPTION 2 - Takes Longer
A "clean install" is your best choice if your OS has issues or you want to get rid of a lot of bloatware or programs you never use.
Your computer will normally run faster after a clean install.
NOTE: It makes it a lot easier if you download (and Unzip) Drivers and the manufacturers Software from the PC manufactures website before you start the install as you have to load all these after the clean install (or at least the drivers).
Hint: Download them to the C: partition on the HDD "before you do anything else". Then you have easy access after Ghosting - and boy do they install fast!
You just double-click on the Setup.exe (also marked Application) for each driver.

TRANSFERRING THE OPERATING SYSTEM TO THE NEW SSD (Option 1)
The Samsung SSD comes with Norton Ghost and a "custom" User Manual outlining how to transfer your HDD to the new Samsung SSD. This "custom" Manual can be found on the SSD Magician DVD (also included).
Read the "custom" Manual BEFORE you start.
Pay special attention to two important points:
A) You must "initialize" the SSD first. Connect the new SSD with the included cable to a USB port and follow the instructions in the "custom" manual for how to do this (real easy).
B) If your HDD have a 100MB SYSTEM partition you MUST Ghost this partition before any other partitions.

TO MY DISAPPOINTMENT...
GHOST can not transfer the PC manufacturer's recovery partition from the original HDD to the new drive. THIS PARTITION CAN NOT BE COPIED!
This is disappointing especially for laptop users as the F4 option for restoring the system normally presented at boot-up will no longer work.
I have had to recover my old laptop being on the road where F4 saved me (as I don't carry backup disks when I travel).

Anyway, the transfer was easy and after replacing the HDD with the Ghosted SSD everything was just as before EXCEPT THE SPEED. A reboot takes approximately 22 seconds and programs are near instant when you start them. Time wise it seems like a program is already running when you click the icon (except for some very large CAD programs).

Obviously I tried Ghosting the recovery partition anyway, thinking perhaps there was a way - but no - not using Norton Ghost.
Instead while trying different backup and restore schemes I tried EaseUS ToDo Backup Free (a free application for home use). IT DID IT!!!
The recover partition transferred flawlessly using the Clone -> Partition Clone -> Sector by Sector option.
Actually you may be able to use the Clone -> Disk Clone option for the entire drive (NOTE: I have not tried it myself but the option is available)

USING THE "OLD" HDD FOR STORAGE AND BACKUP
My 750GB 5800 RPM HDD was put to use in the 17" laptop as it had two drive bays (one was empty).
The other 750GB 7200 RPM HDD from the 15" laptop was put to use in an ineo I-NA201U-Plus, 2.5-Inch Plus Super Speed USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure (Grey) USB 3.0 drive enclosure. Perfect for storage and backup.
The "old" HDD puts out a bit of heat so I opted for the Ineo enclosure because it is made of aluminum and gets rid of heat better than a plastic enclosure.

RECOVERY AND BACKUP
My preference was to use the native Win 7 backup and restore; however it turned out that the backup file became very large because Win 7 would automatically include OS and OS backup from the "old" HDD as well.
My second choice was the backup feature in Norton Ghost, at least I could select what to backup. However it turned out that it excluded the 64 bit drivers in the backup.
My preference turned out to be the backup and restore using the EaseUS ToDo Backup Free. It has nice clean and easy to understand interface.
The only (minor) hurdle was to download and install a free Microsoft AIK (Automated Installation Kit) application prior in order for make a bootable recovery disk.

I did not find out until late in the game that I could restore the F4 recovery partition thus I did not use the Samsung Recovery/Backup/Restore software that came with the Laptop.
Otherwise I would probably have opted for this option.

SAMSUNG SDD MAGICIAN - SOFTWARE
This DVD comes as part of the Samsung SSD kit. Shortly after you have your SSD installed you MUST optimize your OS for SSD operation. With a few clicks it optimized the settings in Win 7 for SSD.
It is very easy to use as it shows a N on a red background for all items that are not "tuned". All you have to do is put a check mark next to each and click tune - you now see a Y on a green background (it only takes a few seconds compared to trying to figure out how to do it from within Windows).

PHYSICAL INSTALLATION OF THE SSD
The 17" laptop was easy because after removing one Philips screw a section of the bottom cover would slide off exposing the drive bays. The laptop also came with a bracket and the SATA cable for connecting the SSD to the internal adapter.

The 15" Samsung Series 7 laptop was a bit more difficult as the entire bottom cover of the laptop had to be separated from the upper half. I used a 2.4 mm (P00) Philips screw driver and a credit card. You may not have the screw driver but I am sure you have a credit card - if you bought a Solid State Drive :)
- anyway make sure you use a high quality screwdriver* as it will be very difficult to remove a screw with a stripped head (also think about warranty).
After removing ALL the screws from the bottom cover, starting from the back (between the hinges) and working the edge of the credit card all the way around it was possible with a lot of patience and care to separate and remove the bottom cover by sliding/pushing/prying the credit card into the joint between the two parts.

*Caution regarding the Samsung Series 7 laptop.
Insert the screwdriver gently into the Philips head and make sure it fits AND it is seated then apply straight downward pressure while turning counter clock wise.
I am a craftsman and have taken a lot of stuff apart but the Samsung Series 7 laptop screws were somewhat tricky. I tried first with a cheap (new) screwdriver and the slight deformation it made (because of poor fit in one of the screw heads) almost prevented me from using the high "craftsman quality" screwdriver afterwards. Do yourself a favor; purchase a P0, P00, P000 and P1 screwdriver before you start (Sears). These are sold separately as opposed to a kit (I have several kits but none of the screwdrivers are high quality).

NOTE: Your laptop brand may be easy to take apart with "any old screw driver".

UPGRADING AN "OLD" COMPUTER
Any "old" computer (Laptop or Desktop) with SATA II - HDD is likely to experience big improvements with an SSD. A Desktop may be easer than a laptop to "operate on" as you have more physical space and probably an extra drive bay so you can continue using the "old" HDD as a second backup drive.
The key to obtain the speed is to install the OS and your programs on the SSD along with the files you normally work on.

Win 7 has native features built-in to facilitate proper operation of SSDs. You may consider an OS upgrade if you are running XP or Vista (however the "custom" manual also tells you how to do it on an XP machine).
Mac users can use OS X 10.6.8 or later.

LESSONS LEARNED
If you back up to an external USB drive/HDD etc. you must use the USB 2.0 port if you are doing a RESTORE from the external drive. Because the driver for the USB 3.0 port is not loaded when you boot from a RECOVERY disk (so it/you can not find the external drive if plugged into the USB 3.0 port). You can obviously disregard this detail if you don't have USB 3.0 port(s).

I found it a lot easier to manipulate HDD/SSD partitions using Ease US "Partition Master" (free for home use) - as compared to the native Win 7 Disk Management tool.

You should consider installing at least a 256GB SSD because a new drive has 238.47 GB available. A sensible partition split for the 256GB SSD running Win 7 would be:
- 114 GB C: Partition for the operating system and your other programs (you can do with less)
- 100 GB D: Partition for data storage
- 24 GB unallocated.
NOTE it is IMPORTANT to leave approx 10% of the drive unallocated as this is used for housekeeping (TRIM and Garbage Collection). Making it too small can affect the life of the drive.

MISCELLANEOUS INFO
- Check with the Manufacturer of your computer if the drive can be replaced without voiding the warranty - I did! .....NOT
- For data security you may want to consider TrueCrypt a free but powerful encryption program. It will allow you to encrypt the most sensitive or all of your data files. It can be set up to unlock automatically when you enter the Windows password and you may not even notice it is there.
- The SSD is only 6.5 mm (0.256") thick and weighs 60 grams (2.12 oz) vs. the HDD 111 grams (3.91 oz)and 9.5 mm (0.374") thick. The SSD came with a spacer (in case you want increase thickness to 9.5 mm)
- The 15" Samsung Series 7 has a power meter showing a power consumption of only 10 to 12 Watts doing normal tasks with full brightness on the screen and the backlit keyboard fully lit. The power consumption increases to 21 Watts when the HDD is connected to the USB 3.0 port.

THE BOTTOM LINE
If you chose to install a SSD you will most likely be unhappy working on a HDD machine ever after. The difference is that great!
Personally I think: "Life is too short to use HDDs".

Replacing the HDD with a SDD is not difficult - take your time. YOU CAN DO IT!
I hope my experience can help you along or at least make up your mind.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2013 2:55 PM PDT

Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter - Version 4.0 (Newest Available) Class 2 Smart Ready Adapter with Low Energy Technology - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great but sticks out 1/4 inch (6 mm) from the laptop., February 18, 2012
The USB Bluetooth adapter works great, however it sticks out from the side of my PC making it catch when I slide the PC into the laptop bag. If you have a USB port in the back of the laptop this will not be a problem.
If you only have USB ports on the side of your laptop you may want to consider the rounded adapters (or remove this one when packing up for travel).
I considered the problem when I purchased it but was not going to take a gamble with any of the rounded adapters that had lower ratings in the customer reviews.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE BLUETOOTH ADAPTER - THIS IS IT!
LOOK NO FURTHER.