Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for K. Chan > Reviews

Browse

K. Chan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Chan RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pinzon Lightweight Cotton Flannel Duvet Cover - Full/Queen, Grey Plaid
Pinzon Lightweight Cotton Flannel Duvet Cover - Full/Queen, Grey Plaid

3.0 out of 5 stars Great duvet marred by quality issues, September 29, 2013
This duvet cover looks and feels great, but I'm disappointed by the quality. Maybe I'm just unlucky but I had to return the first one I bought because of a hole in one of the corners. The replacement was fine up till now. After ~4 washes, a few of the strings used to tie down the duvet are fraying -- to the point where some are not usable -- and I discovered a few small tears in the cover as well. I wanted to buy the matching sheet set too; this made me reconsider.

AmazonBasics Clear Cover Case with Screen Protector for iPhone 5 (Black Rim)
AmazonBasics Clear Cover Case with Screen Protector for iPhone 5 (Black Rim)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case at great value, October 28, 2012
I was looking for an affordable case that would show off the beautiful design of the iPhone 5, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found this AmazonBasics clear case while it was still selling for $9.99 (it's currently selling for $14.99). Here's what I like and don't like about it:

Pros:
- Clear case that allows me to see the back of my iPhone.
- The case covers the volume and power buttons.
- "Lip" on front side that allows you to
- Easy to slip on and fits snugly.
- Solid construction.
- Comes with a screen protector. I already had a screen protector before ordering this case, so I can't say much else about this screen protector.

Cons:
- The interior of the back is scuffed already. I'm not quite sure how that happens but it's not a big deal for me.
- Slightly hard to take off the case, though you'll probably not be doing that often.
- The band of plastic right underneath the home button seems to be the weakest point of the case. I don't know how it will hold up in the long term (will update if I have issues with it).
- You'll need to exert more force to press the power/sleep button.

When I first got my iPhone 5, I was amazed at how light and thin it is. This case definitely adds some thickness to it - it's a tradeoff you'll have to make if you want to protect your phone - but I quickly adjusted to it. Overall, I don't regret this purchase at all.

Sidenote: there's a version of this AmazonBasics case that shows off the sides too. I wasn't aware of this when I purchased mine.

Apple Macbook Air MD231ll/A 13.3-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Apple Macbook Air MD231ll/A 13.3-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
66 used & new from $449.00

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Mac, June 28, 2012
The first Apple product I owned was a 1st generation iPod Nano. From there I got an iPhone (1st Gen), iPad 1, and the 3rd generation iPad (most of these were gifts). I had good experiences with all of them and my MSI laptop was dying on me, so I decided to get my first Mac. I ordered an upgraded Air with 8GB or RAM from the Apple store. It arrived in eight days, and as always, it was beautifully packaged.

Here are some my observations after owning it for about a month:
- The multitouch trackpad is one of my favorite features. It is intuitive and much better than a mouse/scrollwheel. Going back to a Windows computer actually felt a little weird because I didn't have the multitouch gesture controls (e.g. swiping to go back in the web browser or two finger zoom). The keyboard has a nice feel to it and is quite quiet.
- The computer boots up in 10 - 15 seconds, which is around 3 to 4 times faster than my friend's 2009 MacBook Pro. And the Air usually shuts down in 3 seconds. Waking up from sleep is almost instantaneous. All of this is possible because the Air has a SSD whereas most laptops today have traditional hard drives.
- Wi-fi connects really fast. I can visit a website right after boot up/wakeup.
- The Air is relatively quiet. The only time I usually hear the fan is after I have been streaming a video for a while. Even then, you don't hear the fan for long.
- FaceTime looks much better with the 720p camera in the Air compared to the new iPad.
- The speakers are solid. If I have computer playing music downstairs, I can still hear it upstairs. And turning up the volume doesn't distort the sound. Of course, the computer speakers pale in comparison to my Logitech Z-2300's.
- GeekBench score of around 6150.
- The appstore makes installing software much easier.
- It's easy to plug in a monitor and use my computer with the lid closed (clamshell mode). You'll need to plug in a keyboard and mouse.
- The Air is beautiful and light. It was almost too nice to use at first.
- The battery charges pretty fast - it's at 22% right now and OS X estimates that it'll take an hour and 16 minutes to charge the rest of the battery.
- Some reviewers and users have complained about the MagSafe 2 power connector (they like the first one more). As a first time Mac owner who haven't experienced the MagSafe 1, all I can say is that it hasn't been a problem for me, though my Air pretty much stays on my desk all day long.

But it's not perfect:
- I like my screen to be bright but based on my estimations, the battery won't last 7 hours if the screen is set to the brightest setting.
- The bottom left corner of the trackpad is much lower than the other three corners of the trackpad. I don't think it'll be a big deal, but it'd be nice if it was perfectly aligned, especially considering how much Macs cost.
- Two USB ports aren't enough, especially if you plan on using clamshell mode a lot. Since I don't have a USB hub, I have to exit clamshell mode whenever I wanted to plug in my external hard drive or print something.
- Minecraft froze on me twice.

Not Apple's fault:
- Chrome is my favorite browser but I can't use it right now because of some bug that causes Lion to freeze up when Chrome is used. (See update below.)

I'm still figuring out some things in Lion but overall, I'd give it 4 and a 1/2 stars! Recommended.

Update (7/4): I downloaded Chrome after Google came out with an update for it. I haven't had any issues so far.
Update (7/21): I've stuck with Safari because it feels snappier than Chrome.
Update (7/29): I downloaded and installed Mountain Lion. Dictation is my favorite new feature (Safari's unified URL/search bar is my second favorite). Even with speakers playing music less than a foot away from my Air, the mic picks up what I'm saying quite accurately. I'd give accuracy a B+/A-. See my example below. And I recently had issues with videos buffering really slowly, though I don't know if it's the modem/router's fault. The problem seems to be fixed after the Mountain Lion update.
Update (9/1): I have Avast Free Antivirus installed and it's been causing some issues. When I shut down the computer, it automatically restarts it and I get a report saying there was some sort of kernel panic. This usually happens once or twice a week. I don't think this is Apple's fault though. On another note: Using an external monitor along with your Air's monitor doesn't require you to have the power adapter plugged in but using the Air in clamshell mode does require the adapter to be plugged in. Kind of dumb if you think about it. You'd think that clamshell mode uses less power than supporting two monitors.
Update (9/12): I updated Avast and haven't had the restart issue since. it's also interesting to note that when I use FaceTime while blasting music from an external speaker ~2 feet away, the other person can't hear the music but can hear me.
Update (10/28): I had to bring my Air into the Apple store because of an issue with my screen - if you looked at it from an angle, there was a white/bluish spot that wouldn't go away. Scheduling an appointment at the Genius Bar (my first ever) was easy and it started right on time, even at 6:30pm on a Friday evening. The Apple Genius took a quick look at it and determined it was an issue with the interior of the screen. And instead of fixing it, which they said would've taken at least 10 days, they replaced my machine with a top-of-the-line 13" Air with a 2.0 GHz processor and 512GB SSD (my old machine had a 1.8GHz processor and the standard 128GB SSD) at no charge. Since they gave me a brand new computer, I got a new MagSafe 2 charger too. The retail difference between the two machines is over $700. On top of that, they "refunded" my AppleCare and restarted it from the day I took it in. To say the least, I'm an extremely satisfied customer.
Update (11/17): My new MBA (see the update on 10/28) seems to be quieter than my original MBA. I don't hear the fan as often, even after streaming videos for a while.

---

Dictation example [Nothing after the colon will be edited except for punctuation/capitalization. Things in brackets are not dictated]: This is an example of the dictation feature in Mountain Lion. I am speaking about one and a half feet away from the mike in a room that is relatively quiet. The only background noise is coming from a different room. I am talking relatively slowly right now so let's see how well the dictation feature works when I talk little faster and with the music in the background.

[Turned music on, speakers are about 2 1/2 to 3 feet away. The volume is set at 25% on the speakers and 50% in OS X]

Okay, no music playing in the background and I'm talking a little faster. I would say it is still pretty accurate. I think the dictation feature is pretty useful. However, I think it would be pretty awkward to use in public or at work. The best place to use it would still be at home in private. Next I'm going to read awesome tests on the right side column in a normal speaking rates with the music still playing in the background.

[Begin reading random text]

What makes a good review?
Be detailed and specific but when you wanted to know before you purchase the product? Not too short and not too long in for between 75 and 300 works

For video reviews
make it fun is that he can't informative and entertaining? How about a little action the next those cuts and product reviews as you describe your experience with it.

The FinePrint
awesome in the reviews are subject to the license terms set forth in our conditions of use. Your reviews will be posted within 48 hours.

[End of reading the random text]

Okay, that wasn't as great as I would have liked it but I still think it is a pretty accurate example of the dictation feature in Mountain Lion. I hope you found this helpful.

[End of dictation]
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 4:06 PM PDT

iPearl mCover Hard Shell Cover Case with FREE keyboard cover for 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air A1369 & A1466 - CLEAR
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $14.99
8 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half of it is useful, June 26, 2012
I got this for my new 2012 13" Macbook Air. It didn't come with assembly instructions but it was fairly easy to figure out how to put it on. The top cover for the monitor was fine and works the way it's supposed to. But after putting it on the bottom cover, I couldn't open my monitor beyond a 90 degree angle without the bottom corners of the screen hitting the back portion of the cover. So I took the bottom cover off.

Do note that once the bottom cover is on, it's quite secure, and thus hard to take off. It took me a while to take it off because I was afraid I'd scratch up the Air.

For now, I'm just keeping the top cover and the keyboard cover on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 2:06 PM PDT

Havahart 1089  Collapsible One-Door Live Animal Cage Trap for Raccoon, Stray Cat,  Groundhog, Opossum, and Armadillos
Havahart 1089 Collapsible One-Door Live Animal Cage Trap for Raccoon, Stray Cat, Groundhog, Opossum, and Armadillos
Price: $47.71
18 used & new from $47.71

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, May 27, 2012
We placed one of these traps in our backyard and trapped a squirrel a few days later by placing some peanut butter and nuts in a bowl in the back of the cage. This trap is easy to setup up. Recommended if you need to trap some animal in your backyard.

Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care Tea, 16 Tea Bags (Pack of 6)
Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care Tea, 16 Tea Bags (Pack of 6)
Price: $22.74
20 used & new from $22.74

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this stuff, April 4, 2012
Whenever I start getting a sensation of a burning sinus (which is fairly often), I drink one of these and the next day the burning sensation is either gone or the intensity of the burning is down by a lot. It works even if I just put a teabag in room temperature water. And it tastes pretty good too!

Sony MDR-ED12LP Budstyle Headphones (Red)
Sony MDR-ED12LP Budstyle Headphones (Red)
Offered by Lots Deals 4 U
Price: $89.79
5 used & new from $89.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great earbuds, March 11, 2012
I got these to replace my old headphones. Here are my thoughts...

Pros:
- They sound great
- The bass is really good. Some might say it's a little fake, but it's not an issue for me.
- Good price
- They can be loud (this can be a con)
- Music doesn't leak from these earbuds even if you crank up the volume. So you don't have to worry about turning up the volume and bothering someone else
- They look good
- Cable isn't too long

Cons:
- They don't stay in when you run
- It can be hard to hear the music on windy days

Many reviewers said these were uncomfortable, so I was a bit concerned. But so far, I haven't had an issue with that.

I would highly recommend these.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers  (Graphite)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite)
20 used & new from $22.95

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Kindle, December 11, 2011
I love to read, but I hate reading e-books on a computer, so I decided to buy a Kindle and test it out.

Pros:
- Lightweight
- The "next page" and "previous page" buttons are useful
- It "flips" between pages pretty fast
- The ads don't get in the way
- You can borrow a book a month from the Kindle Lending library
- Kindle books are usually a few cents to several dollars cheaper than their hard-copy counterparts There are also other classics available for free (update: One book I bought yesterday was $30 for the hard copy (from Amazon) but only $8 for the Kindle edition. I saved $22!)
- You can kind of hold it in one hand and read, regardless of whether you're left or right handed

Cons:
- Like others have said, there's a bit of ghosting (you can see the text from a previous page if you look closely)
- It's not 100% intuitive the way an iPad/iPhone/iPod is. But it's still fairly easy to use. You adjust quickly
- Typing is a bit annoying because you don't have a physical keyboard/touchscreen. But you really don't type that often (unless you want to take notes on this Kindle, which I won't recommend)
- Only comes with a USB cable, not charger. If you have an iOS device (or modern cell phone) it shouldn't be an issue

This is the almost-perfect e-book reader. If you're looking to get an entry-level one, I'd recommend this one!

Update: Teach142 added a valuable comment and mentioned that you can set the Kindle to refresh every page (instead of every 6). You can do this by downloading the 4.0.1 update. (You'll have to google it because links don't work in reviews.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 9:13 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, November 25, 2011
I bought this on Black Friday and so far I'm pleased.

It's a really quiet 140mm fan. The box says the fan speed is 100RPM and the airflow is 32CFM.

I love the USB port extender, which lets me plug in the cooler without having to worry about losing a USB port.

My current temperature readings using HW Monitor with the cooler plugged in:
CPU Core 1: 36 C
CPU Core 2: 35 C
GPU: 46 C

7 minutes later, the temperature readings with the cooler unplugged:
CPU Core 1: 39 C
CPU Core 2: 40 C
GPU: 50 C

For both tests, I only had Chrome open with 12 tabs and a song playing on Youtube and HW Monitor running in the background.

I just started up my laptop so I don't know how much of a difference this cooler will make during a prolonged session of using the laptop.

The cooler fits my 14" laptop perfectly. I'd recommend this.

XLC Brake Cable & Housing, Universal Black / Lined
XLC Brake Cable & Housing, Universal Black / Lined
Offered by Dave 'n' Mark's
Price: $6.25
8 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, October 11, 2011
The front brake cable on my bike needed to be replaced so I bought these. I brought my bike to the shop and they replaced the brake cable and adjusted the brakes and now my front brakes are really responsive. I am not a bike enthusiast by any means so I don't know if these are "good" compared to other (more expensive) bike cables. All I know is that they work and I am happy with my purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3