Profile for Lynn > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 247

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lynn RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oster Juice and Blend 2 Go FPSTJE3166-022 Juice Extractor and Personal Blender
Oster Juice and Blend 2 Go FPSTJE3166-022 Juice Extractor and Personal Blender
Price: $49.99
17 used & new from $41.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of parts to clean...first use as blender was very messy..., July 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first experience with a juicer. I've used blenders & stick blenders in the past. After using the Oster Juice & Blend 2 Go a few times, I appreciate that a blender & juice extractor are combined into one unit. If you want to use fresh juice in your smoothie, you use the juice extractor, then pour the juice & pulp (if desired) into the To Go Cup along with the rest of your smoothie ingredients. It's simple - the end result is a smoothie that you can take with you. The To Go Cup holds a generous 20 oz. If you're in a hurry, you might want to have a sink full of soapy water ready to put all the pieces in which will make clean up easier when you get back.

I found it was easier to clean the stainless steel filter under running water using a brush (not included) on the outside of the filter first, then cleaned any remaining pulp using the brush on the inside (again under running water).

I like the fact that Oster has combined a juicer & blender in one appliance. However, my experience using the blender has been a messy one. To use the blender function, you put the ingredients in the To Go Cup, then fasten the blender unit on to the top of the To Go Cup (like a lid). Then turn everything upside down to attach the blender unit to the main unit. This positions the To Go Cup upside down while the ingredients are being blended. So far the liquid in the cup has always leaked a little...sometimes more...and made a mess. This causes the liquid to get into the main unit. When a lot of liquid 'escapes' it will sometimes drip down the main unit. When my smoothie is finished & I have everything turned right side up, I've had times when the liquid gets into the threads at the top of the cup, then runs down the cup. Oh my gosh, I hate messes like this. I followed the instructions so I think I'm using the unit properly. My hubby asked...'Where's the gasket?" Well, there is no removable gasket but there appears to be a plastic gasket in the blender unit & in the To Go Cup lid. I'll update my review if this improves & was user error on my part.

These are the ingredients I tried in our first smoothie. 1 frozen banana, 2 small (1 1/2") ice balls, 1/2 cup almond vanilla milk, 2 tsp chia seeds & 1 tsp peanut butter. I sprinkled some cinnamon in mine when it was done.

Some of the peanut butter remained at the bottom of the blender unit & had to be scraped out. The frozen banana & ice spheres weren't all crushed & the chia seeds remained at the bottom of the cup in a lump with some of the peanut butter. Remember because the cup is turned upside down to blend, the bottom of the cup is at the top while blending. Anything stuck on the bottom of the cup will not get blended. There was no way to get this lump off the bottom. So I stopped blending, turned the To Go Cup with blender unit attached right side up, then detached the blender unit to scrape the peanut butter off the bottom of the blender unit & off the bottom of the cup. This procedure caused a mess...liquid ran down the sides of the cup, sometimes there was liquid on top of the blender motor & of course the inside of the blender unit is messy too.
I had better results with a thawed banana - the two ice balls crushed quickly too.

When using the blender, be sure to keep a hand on top of the cup...just in case you don't have it positioned correctly.

Next I tried the juicer & was pleased with the results.
Two medium sized navel oranges produced 1 cup of juice & a lot of pulp which was separated as it should be.
The To Go Cup is too tall to use under the juicer spout. You will need to use a shorter container or glass.
The glass I used measured 5 1/4" high which is just about the maximum height you can use. To prevent drips flip up the rubber spout when you're done juicing.

I poured the orange juice & most of the pulp into the To Go Cup, added a banana, pear & peach slices, 2 ice cubes & chia seeds and blended it. I didn't have as much mess with this combo as I did with the other. Everything blended like it should & was very tasty.

The User Guide includes a 'Quick Start Recipe Guide' which lists combinations that work nicely together. The back of the chart lists helpful tips, general juicing guidelines & healthful benefits of individual fruits & vegetables.
The User Guide also includes several recipes.

All washable pieces are dishwasher safe. The more I use it, the better I like it. However, there are several pieces to clean.

1 year limited warranty

Ziploc Storage Bags 2 Gallon, 12 Count (Pack Of 3)
Ziploc Storage Bags 2 Gallon, 12 Count (Pack Of 3)
Price: $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars 13" x 15" Versatile! Store & Organize just about anything. I prefer this type of storage bag over bags with zippers/sliders, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I prefer using Ziploc bags where I close the 'seam' myself, rather than the bags with actual zippers/sliders. Ziploc Storage Bags 2 Gallon, 12 Count (Pack Of 3) completely close. Storage bags with zippers/sliders never close all the way & leave a tiny opening on one edge. The opening lets air in & is definitely not good for long term storage. These aren't designed for freezer storage; however, if I run out of freezer bags, I will use two storage bags. I'll put the freezer item in one bag, then put that bag into another. I think that should block out enough air & work for long term freezer storage.

I love the large size of the 2 gallon Ziploc Storage bags. In the past, I've resorted to saving the plastic bags from large cereal boxes to use for over-sized items. I'll probably still save them because cereal bags are very strong, but I'll be using these 2 gallon storage bags too & these zip closed!

These storage bags are useful for larger food items, crafts, maps, fruit, vegetables, paperwork, yarn, etc. And, of course meat. These bags close all the way which prevents any leakage.

A few ways I use large storage bags:
~I'm usually carrying around a crochet project to work on when I'm traveling or waiting for an appointment...these bags are big enough to hold my pattern, hooks & yarn.
~For home baked bread.
~for storing cosmetics, shampoo, lotion & sprays when I travel.

To save money & be more Earth friendly, I usually wash my storage bags & re-use them. I don't like washing them, but I dislike throwing away a good Ziploc storage bag even more.

Ziploc Bags can be easily identified by adding labels stating the contents and date or by using a permanent marker to write directly on the bag. I've had success marking the bag with ball tip pens too.

Ziploc brand Bags are made from Polyethylene Plastic Resin #4. Some communities recycle Polyethylene Plastic Resin #4, but it is not accepted at all recycling centers.

Apparently you can use these bags in a microwave to safely defrost & reheat food. Just be sure to leave an opening...don't zip the bag all the way closed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 4:12 AM PDT

[2 PACK] Premium Dry Bags - two 500D PVC Tarp waterproof dry bags (170 Oz and 340 Oz) for outdoor activities and watersports - Lifetime Warranty (blue and yellow)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dry bags...carrystraps included, July 17, 2014
These are excellent bags & function as advertised. They're perfect for outdoor activities, camping, boating, kayaking...well you get the idea. They really do keep your items dry. However, because nothing is fail safe, The Friendly Swede states that they are not intended for cell phones, laptops, or other sensitive equipment. Be sure to follow the included folding instructions which will keep your items dry & leave some air in the bag...as a result the bag will float...but it is not intended to be used as a flotation device.

Check out Amazon's product images for storage ideas. The smaller bag would be great for medical supplies. If you'd like to take a towel along, you might want to consider packing these [2 PACK] 100% Microfiber Yoga Towels and Travel Towels. These towels are very absorbent, yet lightweight & don't take up much space.

I tested these bags in our bathtub...they floated & everything packed inside stayed dry. Perfect for outdoor activities. Two carrystraps included.

review sample provided

[3 PACK] Ball Pump Kit - Includes 3 Pumps, 9 Inflating Needles, 3 Flexible Hoses, 3 Plastic Adapters for Exercise Balls, Inflatable Toys and More - Lifetime Warranty (Blue + Green + Red)
Offered by The Friendly Swede
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Ball Pumps!!! each has 3 needles, a flexible hose & a plastic adapter, July 17, 2014
This is a great value. The Friendly Swede kit includes 3 ball pumps...each pump has:
3 inflating needles (same size) used for volleyballs, basketballs, footballs, etc,
a flexible hose which can be used to make pumping easier, quicker and safer and minimizes the risk of damaging needles,
and a plastic adapter which fits the typical exercise ball, some inflatable toys, etc.

The pump has a storage area in its lid for one inflating needle. Look at the lid & you will see little tab that lifts up to reveal the storage area.

You can keep one set in the garage, a set in your exercise room, a set in your car or maybe in your gym bag. This is an excellent value. The pumps are made from plastic & are lightweight. I didn't have any problems inflating my daughter's volleyball.

Whynter RPD-702WP Energy Star Portable Dehumidifier with Pump, 70-Pint
Whynter RPD-702WP Energy Star Portable Dehumidifier with Pump, 70-Pint
Price: $237.69
7 used & new from $223.55

4.0 out of 5 stars To conserve energy, the fan is designed to run all the time...our dehumidifier is quiet..., July 17, 2014
The Whynter 702WP has several features:
--3 drainage options...drain bucket, water pump & continuous drain. (We use the pump). Included is a 16.5' 1/4" diameter hose to use with the pump. A 3' drain hose is included to use with the continuous drain feature.
--'High' or 'Low' fan speed (we use Low)
--Timer/Humidity control (currently ours is set at 50%) The dehumidifier's humidity reading varies 1-2% with the reading on our AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor
--It is designed to operate between 41°F and 96°F
--Timer Delay Switch Off/On (Timer can not be set to cycle on & off. There is no internal clock. If you use this feature, once the unit turns off, it will not turn on automatically)
--Auto-restart

Even though the RDP-702WP has several features, I wish it had a cycle feature/timer so we could choose how long it would run at a time...yet it would come back on. For example: if we set the unit to run 4 hours a day, we would like to be able to set it for 4 hours & forget it rather than manually turning it back on every day.

We haven't had any problems with this dehumidifier. It is quiet & the pump works. We have the 1/4" diameter hose on a fairly level surface, the water is not being pumped 'up'. We are using the pump instead of continuous drain because the hose is smaller & we won't trip over it. Continuous drain uses a standard size hose.

I haven't been able to determine if the Whynter is using less electric than other 70 pint dehumidifiers we've used.

I will update my review if my opinion changes and/or if I can determine if the Whynter is using more/less electric.

**According to the troubleshooting guide, if the dehumidifier makes a loud noise, it is not sitting level. The remedy is to shut it off & let it sit on a level surface for at least 6 hours. Ours is level & even though the fan runs continuously, it's always been quiet.

Spin Tops 36 pcs
Spin Tops 36 pcs
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $5.32
13 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Value...all of them spin!, July 16, 2014
This review is from: Spin Tops 36 pcs (Toy)
These tops are a nice value & appear to be well made. As advertised, there were 36 in the package. All of them spin & none of them have broken yet. There are 3 different paper disc designs in the group I received.

V.ALRT VSN400 Personal Emergency Response Device
V.ALRT VSN400 Personal Emergency Response Device
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept...love the fact there's no additional charges. Be sure your device is compatible..3 1/2 stars, July 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really, really like the concept behind the V.ALRT. It's definitely a product that many people will find useful. However, if you're thinking about this, be sure you have a compatible device. Currently the VSN400 is compatible with iPhone 4S/iOS 7 or newer and any smartphone using Android 4.3 or newer with Bluetooth 4.0. The V.ALRT has some awesome features, you can read about them in the product description.

The V.ALRT worked most of the time for us, but once in a while Bluetooth was dropped. This can be a problem if you're using it for emergency purposes. If you're interested in the V.ALRT, you might want to order it from Amazon & thoroughly test it for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. If you discover any problems with it, you can return it to Amazon. Amazon has a 30 day return policy. If it works for you, it will definitely give you peace of mind knowing that you don't have to wonder if your loved one fell, or needs help in any way.

I was glad to see that the battery case didn't have any of those annoying, tiny screws to remove...then I read the manual which recommends having the battery replaced at a local watch repair center. I'd rather replace it myself. I tried to open the battery case following the manual's diagram, but couldn't get the back to budge. It's supposed to screw/twist off/on. I really don't need to replace the battery yet, so I didn't spend much time on this.

6 month warranty

Paper Shredder by Swingline, Duo Super Cross-Cut Junk Mail Shredder, 12 sheet (1757394)
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $45.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing - manual says not to shred more than 10 sheets of paper in one pass and to remove staples/paperclips, etc, July 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been shredding junk mail in this shredder for about 3 weeks now.

Okay, I confess. I've used several paper shredders so I didn't read the manual until I sat down to write this review.

The product description states:
"Paper shredder quickly shreds up to 12 sheets (including junk mail, paper clips and staples) and is compact in size and ideal for personal use"

So, I've been putting unopened junk mail in it.

When I read the manual today it says:
"We recommend to remove staples & paperclips, & avoid laminating materials, plastic bags, etc from being passed through the shredder. This will prevent damage to the cutters."
The manual also states:
"Do not shred more than 10 pieces of paper in one pass."

Because I didn't read the manual, I was following the information provided in the product description. I found that the shredder slowed down & struggled a bit when I shredded unopened junk mail...(most of these envelopes had more than one sheet of paper in them.) The shredder handled all of them...just slowly & in a struggling manner. I will continue shredding junk mail following the product description...not the manual. Maybe a foolish move, but only time will tell. If you'd like your shredder to last a while, you probably would have better results following the instructions in the manual.

This shredder has a separate bin & shredding area for CDs, DVDs & credit cards. The separate bin allows you to recycle the paper shreds only. You can't recycle the paper if the shredded CDs & etc are mixed in with the paper.

Only run this shredder for about 4 minutes at a time, otherwise it might overheat. If it overheats, allow the motor to cool 45 minutes before resuming use. (Oops, just found another discrepancy. The manual states: "Don't let the machine operate continuously for more than 2 minutes.") Good grief, someone needs to proof read the manual & compare it to the product description.

I have a feeling the product description is correct & the manual has more generic information in it. If you're interested in this shredder, give Swingline Customer Service a call & ask them about the discrepancies.

I was ready to give the shredder 4 stars, but have removed a star because the product description doesn't match the instructions in the manual.

[Improved Design] The Original Starry Solar String Lights by Brightech - Cool White LED's on a Flexible Copper Wire - 20ft LED Light String Set with Solar Panel - Your Easy Way to Create "Instant Atmosphere" Anywhere. Recreate the Casual, Inviting Ambience of the Wine Country in just Minutes.
Offered by Brightech™
Price: $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So Bright & 'Starry'...I like them a lot (Improved Design), July 16, 2014
Length:: 0:34 Mins

These Starry Solar String Lights are delightful. I don't understand how these tiny LED lights can put off so much light, but they do. And, they're solar powered. Just amazing.

I wanted to use the Starry lights in my back yard, but then I realized that my backyard is mostly deep shade. Even though the solar panel has a long cord & can be mounted on a wall or in the ground with included in-ground stake, our back yard doesn't have enough sun to charge it. My video, which I will be uploading soon, shows the lights can be formed into shapes.

I decorated my fence with the Starry Lights Warm White & have color changing mosaic lights along the fence too. One of the mosaic lights gets more shade than the others so it doesn't always turn on at night. The Starry lights are great because I can position their solar panel in the sunshine & the lights can be in the shade.

When my hubby saw the lights...he asked, "Where did you plug them in?" Silly fella, he forgot they're solar. Solar lights are fantastic because you don't have to worry about plugging them in.

Our outside garage light is on all night & doesn't effect the Starry lights because their solar panel is a distance away from it. Our porch light doesn't effect them either. However, if your outdoor lighting shines on the solar panel, the Starry lights might not shine for you.

The solar panel measures 5 1/2" x 5"...the charging section measures 3 1/4" x 3 3/4". The panel can be mounted on a wall using the included accessories or you can use the in-ground stake. Be sure to place the solar panel where it will get the most sun possible, & face it South if you can. Before first use, turn the power 'On' (the switch is on the back of the panel) & charge 8-12 hours in full sunlight. Afterwards, with the power 'On', the solar light will charge during the day & automatically turn on at night. If you turn it 'Off' the lights won't charge & of course, they won't come on at night. It's recommended to replace the Ni-Cd battery once a year. When storing the lights at the end of the season, turn the power switch to 'Off'.

These are fun & can be used in a variety of ways. I plan on getting more creative with the Cool White lights. The flexible copper wire can be bent into just about any shape you can think up. The 120 cool LED lights are spaced along the 20' wire.

3 Year Satisfaction Guarantee

5 Stars - I will update my review if my opinion changes.

review sample provided

[Improved Design] The Original Starry Solar String Lights by Brightech - Warm White LED's on a Flexible Copper Wire - 20ft LED Light String Set with Solar Panel - Your Easy Way to Create "Instant Atmosphere" Anywhere. Recreate the Casual, Inviting Ambience of the Wine Country in just Minutes.
Offered by Brightech™
Price: $40.00
2 used & new from $28.49

5.0 out of 5 stars So Pretty..Improved Design, July 15, 2014
Length:: 0:40 Mins

I wanted to use the Starry lights in my back yard, but then I realized that my backyard is mostly deep shade. Even though the solar panel has a long cord & can be mounted on a wall or in the ground with included in-ground stake, our back yard doesn't have enough sun to charge it. My video, which I will be uploading tonight, shows the lights strung across our fence in the front yard. I have solar, color changing mosaic lights along the fence too. One of the mosaic lights gets more shade than the others so it doesn't always turn on at night. The Starry lights are great because I can position their solar panel in the sunshine & the lights can be in the shade.

I also have these lights in Cool White. One peculiar thing I noticed was that these Warm White lights flicker when they first come on. I thought they were defective, but they stop flickering after a few seconds, then remain solid...hmmmm... The Cool White lights don't do this. They come on solid & never flicker.

These are fun & can be used in a variety of ways. The copper wire can be bent into just about any shape you can think up. The 120 warm LED lights are spaced along the 20' wire.

3 Year Warranty

5 Stars - I will update my review if my opinion changes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20