Profile for crysanne > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"crysanne" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Ancient Teachings for Beginners: Learn About Auras, Chakras, Angels & Astral Projection (For Beginners (Llewellyn's))
by Douglas De Long
Price: $11.36
113 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Equipping, but not cautionary enough, August 26, 2000
I enjoyed this book. It taught me much about chakra energy, kundalini and the like. However, as I am a Christian, I felt De Long's head-first submersion of the reader into such potentially-dangerous topics as channeling and astral projection was a bit ill-thought. I believe these types of psychic phenomena exist, however, I feel caution must be used when exploration is desired, as deceiving spirits abound. In fact, as it concerns channeling, I am more prone to assert that it should be left alone rather than dabbled with.
The only other criticism I offer is minor in nature, but a true irritant nonetheless. De Long oft-time quotes HIMSELF at the start of chapters, where typically readers of these types of books see this section in particular reserved for scholars, philophers and historical figures. We see those too, such as quotes from Archbishop Alcuin, but Douglas De Long inserts himself far too frequently, the end result being a picture of a somewhat pretentious and self-aggrandizing fellow.

The Complete Guide to World Mysticism
The Complete Guide to World Mysticism
by Timothy Freke
26 used & new from $20.58

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a reference book...truly enriching!, August 26, 2000
I enjoyed this book very much. What began as leisurely self-study did not culminate and actualize accordingly. An aspiring academic and truth-seeker, I found myself both compelled and sated by the authors' diligently unbiased presentation of the world's major religions.
As it is said, "less is more," and this cliche in particular rings quite true throughout the pages of this book. The authors did not have to cram down our throats the obvious truth that there are to be found numerous commonalities in most major religions...thereby making it apparent to even the most casual observer that there are absolute Truths to be found, in one form or another, in all worthy sects. (Though what truly makes a sect worthy? Not the point, and I digress.)
That we derived as a species in our various race-forms with consistent, unchanging and uncontested beliefs is compelling and convicting. This book will appeal to all those eager to study religion, as well as to those who wish to explore mysticism and the truths thereof on a higher, more academic (and experential) level.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 10:57 AM PDT

Edgar Cayce and Christian Faith
Edgar Cayce and Christian Faith
by Lynn Elwell Sparrow
27 used & new from $0.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing prose, easy to understand and enlightening, August 26, 2000
This is a good book on several fronts. Lynn Elwell Sparrow writes very clearly, layman to layman. She also approaches the work (and/or "Readings") of Edgar Cayce from the spiritual viewpoint of the Fundamentalist Christian. A new event, to my knowledge. This particular perspective was helpful to me, as my spiritual awakening originated in a Fundamentalist church. I imagine it will help others of the same inclination, as well.
The purpose of this book was to give relief and freedom to the Fundamentalist (or conservative) Christian that has found himself "caught between a rock and a hard place," in that they believe certain dogma and doctrine, but feel innately that there is more to it...more to be had, found, enjoyed and passed on.
Much of the author's book was spent validating Cayce's Readings relating to reincarnation. Ms. Elwell Sparrow was effective, in my opinion, in concretely defending the Reincarnationist's ability to exist without guilt within a Fundamentalist's world. It was refreshing. I know her words will be freeing to many.
I found one thing curious, however; a personal observation, nothing more. At one point in my exploration of cover to cover, I found myself sad (and a little frustrated) that the author was so bound up by conservativism and Fundamentalist dogma. Though I believe the Fundamentalist faith was (and is?) based on absolute uncontestable truths, I believe the movement in general has strayed a great deal from the purpose and mission of Christ. The more I read Ms. Elwell Sparrow, the more I wondered if she was in fact restricted in her own enlightenment by her unwillingness to let go of strident and outmoted theology.
Why must believers who have a more esoteric bent so fervently try to defend the mystical and the unexplainable by utilizing the semi one-dimensional wording contained in the Bible? That is not to say that the Bible is lacking, but let's all remember that it is a HISTORICAL TRUTH that the Bible was in fact edited at great length, sanitized, interpreted, cut and remade. The discoveries at Nag Hammadi attest to as much. Irrespective, it is a sad, frustrating truth that most Fundamentalists will only debate the Mysteries of God if the opposing viewpoint is rooted in Scripture only. For that reason alone this book is a positive source and a good read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2008 10:21 AM PDT

The Other Side and Back
The Other Side and Back
by Lindsay Harrison
Edition: Audio Cassette
20 used & new from $3.54

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, HOOEY!, August 26, 2000
I'll most likely be unable to "say it" any better than the review that directly precedes my own. (JoelMc of TN.) Yet, I feel inclined to try. :)
Sylvia Browne concerns me. Her doctrine and dogma are horribly skewed and anti-Bible. Though she professes Christ to some degree, the swirling imagery she asserts in this book is blatantly the antithesis of all we know about the basic truths put forth by Jesus Himself. If we are to believe Ms. Browne, then we are also to believe in faeries, Lilith of the underworld and other such nonsensical concepts. Though I do not begrudge Ms. Browne her own personal beliefs, as she is entitled to them, I do find fault in her positing of these beliefs and equating them to many of our life's experiences.
Psychic phenomenon (or PSI) is a real, scientific fact, in my opinion. It does not have to carry with it the type of grandiose concepts Ms. Browne hocks in this book. One can have, develop and gift to others the benefits of PSI without subscribing to these really BIZARRE philosophies.
In addition, Ms. Browne's claiming to be a Gnostic is tidy, but anyone who knows anything about Gnosticism as a faith will know right off that her claims are erroneous.
When it comes right down to it, the entire tome smacks of being erroneous. I agree with the previous reviewer, as well, in that Ms. Browne comes off quite smug and authoritative indeed. Not the humble "giver" one would hope and expect of a gifted clairvoyant.

Kundalini & the Chakras: Evolution in this Lifetime (Llewellyn's new age series)
by Genevieve L. Paulson
Price: $11.99
107 used & new from $0.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, understandable and enlightening, August 26, 2000
I enjoyed this book, and continue to do so. It is written clearly and simply, without a lot of convoluted psycho-babble and over-"hinduized" analogies.
Kundalini is a real energy force, as are the chakra "wheels." Whether the Hindus claim Kundalini for themselves, or the Buddhists or Christians...it makes no difference. Incorporating Kundalini energy work into one's specific religion is a choice all are free to make. However, it must be kept in mind that Kundalini, separate and apart from all religious implications, is not (or should not be considered) a religion unto itself. It is more closely alligned with scientific truths, as Western medicine is at long last beginning to recognize.
This book is a good place to start if you are interested in learning more about the awesome potential that lies within us all. There is no dogma attached, which is refreshing to someone like me. From this book one can dive into other more reference-oriented books on the subject.

A Chakra & Kundalini Workbook: Psycho-Spiritual Techniques for Health, Rejuvenation, Psychic Powers & Spiritual Realization
by John Mumford
Price: $17.24
66 used & new from $2.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted, murky and distracting, August 26, 2000
I'm sorry, but I really didn't enjoy this particular book. While it is obvious that Dr. Mumford is indeed of high intellect and sure conviction, his writing style is far too jam-packed with hard-to-grasp concepts that do not bear out or unfold clearly. As someone ravenously interested in Kundalini, I have for some time been seeking Western medicinal validation vis-a-vis books such as this, and as a result, with this book in particular, I was disappointed.
I believe in the "serpent power" of Kundalini, in that I feel it is an actual energy force that resides in all of us. I believe, in addition, that there are serious meditations and exercises one can undertake that will "awaken" or arouse this particular energy. However, as a Christian (though admittedly esoteric in inclination), I was put off by the constant equating of these scientific energies and forces with goddesses and gods that do not ring true to me.
If Dr. Mumford had talked more in lay terms, and had stayed with a more scientific, methodical unfolding of information, I would have most assuredly enjoyed this work much more.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2012 7:02 PM PDT

Lightning
Lightning
by Dean Koontz
301 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What are those editors talking about???, August 7, 2000
This review is from: Lightning (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't know about those editorial reviews above...but I will say this...Lightning is one of the best Koontz books ever written! It is fast paced, engrossing and heart-wrenching. I loved every minute of it. I read it years ago as a teenager, then again as a married mother. This is one of Koontz's best books because it's not bogged down in over-fleshed characters and superfluous descriptions. I had great sympathy for the protagonists, and literally felt my heart racing as I read it. A good read...I guarantee! Smooches!

The Bad Place
The Bad Place
by Dean Koontz
259 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Koontz is superfluous but GOOD, August 7, 2000
Koontz irritates me sometimes because he is really wordy, especially in chapter intros. Doesn't mean he's not good, though. This book in particular is a KEEPER. It scared me, made me cry and made me MAD at the bad guy. And the bad guy was really, really bad. Koontz, like King, has an eerie knack of illustrating sick, magical psychosis...and I love it. I would recommend this book, especially if you are a Koontz fan. If you are NOT, but are a horror fan, or are looking for scary intrigue with a hint of demonic eeeeevil...then order this book. It's quite good...really! Smooches!

Eyes: A Susan Shader Novel
Eyes: A Susan Shader Novel
by Joseph Glass
63 used & new from $0.35

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good read, August 7, 2000
I'd never heard of Joseph Glass. WhatEVER. I thought the synopsis sounded exciting and was willing to give it a go. Isn't it rich when you find an author you actually like, and a book you can VIBE on? I liked Eyes a whole heckuvalot. I especially appreciated the psychic element to the tale...this subject in general intrigues me, and when peppered into a fast paced tale it is really enhancing! I would get this book if you're a fevered devourer of murder mystery lore linked with psychic phenomena. It was fun. Yay to Eyes. K bye. Smooches!

Along Came A Spider
Along Came A Spider
by James Patterson
Price: $8.00
701 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Patterson--the master of dumbing down prose, August 7, 2000
I truly believe that Patterson believes three-fourths of the world (if not more) is illiterate. This book irritated the hell out of me. For goodness sakes, I am a sentient, intelligent person who can structure a sentence and appreciate a good phrase.
What is this regurgitated madness? Yada, yada, yada.
Stop pandering for the sake of a buck. One word to the reader: NEXT!!!
Smooches!