Profile for C. Pugh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 148

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Pugh RSS Feed (Evanston, Illinois)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Dear Thief: A Novel
Dear Thief: A Novel
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars We are trapped in the thoughts of a woman whose best friend slept with her husband, May 21, 2015
Samantha Harvey's novel resembles a series of ballet exercises executed by an extremely talented dancer. I was impressed, but eventually I wanted to see it all put together into an actual dance. Her prose is spare and elegant, never descending into purple. Even so, her characters don't leave the page, at least for me they didn't. She knits together stop-and-start incidents in the lives of people presumably rendered interesting by their peculiarities. We are trapped in the thoughts of a woman whose best friend slept with her husband. She's not angry, or she is but not in the mundane fashion most people betrayed get angry. An epistolary work has to fight against the claustrophobia of being stuck in one skull/opinion/voice. Harvey tries to circumvent this obstacle by positing her mute "correspondent's" possible responses and by calling herself out for misrepresentations of herself pages ago. This ekeing toward a climax assumes a reader with an uncommon appreciation for fine writing and angelic patience. The lack of dialogue and the opaque characters made me feel I was reading a very smart essay on an uninteresting topic. In a novel, I want plot or fully realized, interesting people. I will take a look at anything else Harvey does. She's smart but it may be possible to be too smart to write an engaging novel.

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.36

1.0 out of 5 stars A female version of frat humor, January 4, 2015
Couldn't read it beyond 100 pages or so. I'm not an overly delicate sensibility and I can swing with an unlikable main character but the narrator/author is so despicable AND boring, I couldn't make myself stay with her. In short, I needed something to care about and I simply couldn't locate it.

4 Pack: Active Basic Cami Tanks in Many Colors (Medium, Black/White/Nude/Pink)
4 Pack: Active Basic Cami Tanks in Many Colors (Medium, Black/White/Nude/Pink)

2.0 out of 5 stars Would make nice tents, November 26, 2014
These shirts are made to fit past your rump. I'm far from short but they couldn't be neatly tucked into my jeans. I cut them off and sewed a new hem and now they're useable but unless you're exceptionally tall or wish to be a seamstress I would avoid them. The lump under your waistband and make you look fat even when you're not.

Active Basic Women's Plain Basic Cotton Blend Deep V Neck T Shirt with Long Sleeves,Large,Green
Offered by Absolute Accessory
Price: $6.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, November 26, 2014
I love this color of green. It's rich and eye catching without being flashy. The shirt fits well, neither too long nor too short. The material's of reasonably good quality.

Devon & Jones Women's Velour Lounge Pants, Orchid, Medium
Devon & Jones Women's Velour Lounge Pants, Orchid, Medium
Offered by GotApparel
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pants great, colors like spoiled fruit, November 26, 2014
These pants extend up to the natural waist. I hate feeling that if I bend over the cleft in my bum will show. I also don't like to be cut up the middle, if you follow. Very uncomfortable. These pants sit where they belong and don't trouble me. On the other hand, they don't sag or bunch out so I appear to have an unnaturally lumpy body. In fact, they're a bit sexy. The burgundy color is great but the other colors are for landlord paint. I can't imagine wearing them. I'm 5'7" and weigh 124--bought medium and it fits just right. Best of all, the pants are not too long. Now if they would develop some colors that don't scream "old lady coming!" I'll buy more. Honestly, whoever chose these colors should be banished to a monastery for life.

ThermoWorks Extra Big and Loud Timer (Charcoal)
ThermoWorks Extra Big and Loud Timer (Charcoal)
Offered by ThermoWorks
Price: $29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel Free to Sit in the Farthest Corner of Your House, November 13, 2014
Supposed to be loud and it is, plenty loud. Loud enough that my poor dog begins to whimper when it goes off. If you've ever had a problem with a timer going off that you didn't hear, this is the timer for you. I dinged it one star because it's heavy, sort of clunky looking, but it works. And the magnet keeps it stuck to my faux stainless steel dishwasher. (If your appliances are all real stainless steel, be aware magnets will not stick to them. Don't know why.)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Form Factor Best Feature, November 13, 2014
Two neat things about this sharpener are that it's small and it sticks to your counter with the flip of the little plastic handle. I guess if you have a tile counter with grout, it might not stick so well. It sharpens knives about middling, that is, good enough but not fabulous. Still it's so easy to use. If you've ever paid a pro to sharpen your knives and been disappointed (I have, twice, two different companies, both did a crappy job), you'll be grateful to have a sharpener in your drawer that takes less than a minute to get out, set up, and sharpen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 4:48 PM PST

Component Design CDN TM30 Direct Entry 2-Alarm Timer
Component Design CDN TM30 Direct Entry 2-Alarm Timer
Price: $13.18
11 used & new from $12.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, Handy, November 13, 2014
Timer stays in the drawer as a backup for a louder one. Works fine. Easy to use, simple instructions. Nothing more to say about it.

Smith & Nephew Uni Solve Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce Bottle
Smith & Nephew Uni Solve Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce Bottle
Offered by MedicalRite
Price: $13.00
17 used & new from $12.76

1.0 out of 5 stars Glue Remover? NOT!, November 13, 2014
This is supposed to remove glue manufactured by the same company. It doesn't. What more is there to say, other than don't waste your money on this one.

NOW Foods Avocado Oil
NOW Foods Avocado Oil
Offered by VitaminsHub
Price: $12.25
39 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Oil Too Old, October 26, 2014
I love avocado oil but I purchased two of these from Now and one is rancid. I'll have to throw it away because I don't like to smell like MacDonald's!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15