Profile for Z Hayes > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Z Hayes RSS Feed (TX, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Web (Fianna Trilogy)
The Web (Fianna Trilogy)
by Megan Chance
Price: $9.18
54 used & new from $5.09

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging YA fantasy read, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I haven’t read the first book in this trilogy but “The Web” was not difficult to follow and very soon I found myself caught up in this entrancing story. Part of this book’s appeal is due to the fact that I enjoy stories that center on Irish folklore and mythology and the author’s unique premise certainly piqued my interest.

Grace, a Druid priestess, Is only seventeen-years-old and faced with a heavy burden – she is to be sacrificed on Halloween for the sake of averting a bitter war between two ancient groups of people. There is the usual inner struggle, and also a love triangle, which I felt was credibly done. It didn’t seem contrived and kept my interest. A recommended YA fantasy novel.

The Vanishing Season
The Vanishing Season
by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Price: $13.86
101 used & new from $0.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Flat and uninteresting, February 24, 2015
This review is from: The Vanishing Season (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked this as a Vine read because I am always on the lookout for a well-written YA novel to recommend to my students. I found the premise and cover art intriguing and exciting. However, having read it, I don’t think I can recommend this book. The writing is rather bland, the characters are flat and a bit one-dimensional, and the plot is rather confusing. I just could not get into the story.

Odysseus Abroad: A novel
Odysseus Abroad: A novel
by Amit Chaudhuri
Price: $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The immigrant experience explored in a rather tedious manner, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Author Amit Chaudhuri narrates the story, via stream-of-consciousness style (reminiscent of Joyce’s “Ulysses”) of two Indian immigrants in London: there’s the younger Ananda who has been in London for about two years, drifting aimlessly, not at home in his new surroundings, and there’s his uncle Radesh, who has been in the city for about three decades, but still not quite a part of it.
The characters didn’t really resonate with me and after reading page after page of what seemed to be a plotless story, I came to the conclusion that this just wasn’t for me. I think there is an audience for this novel though : if you like to read a close-up, blow-by-blow account of the minutiae of daily life as seen through the eyes of these two “drifting” men, you might enjoy it.

Fellowes Saturn3i 125 Laminator with Pouch Starter Kit (5736601)
Fellowes Saturn3i 125 Laminator with Pouch Starter Kit (5736601)
Offered by BisonOffice
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $116.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed, effective laminator, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fellowes Saturn3i 125 Laminator is excellent for laminating home, school, and office projects. It accepts 3,4, or 5 mil laminating pockets which are used on the “hot” setting and it can also be used on the “cold” setting for laminating self-adhesive pouches.
The instruction manual that comes with this laminator isn’t very clear but it doesn’t take one long to figure out how to work it, especially if you’re familiar with operating laminating machines. The laminator takes between 4-5 minutes to warm up and this is one of my complaints because I have another Fellowes laminator that only takes 1 minute to warm up.
From a safety standpoint, even when in full operating mode on the hot setting, the laminator doesn’t get very hot and there’s an internal fan that keeps it cool. It takes about an hour to cool down when turned off. All in all, I find this to be an effective laminating machine.

Children of the Stone: The Power of Music in a Hard Land
Children of the Stone: The Power of Music in a Hard Land
by Sandy Tolan
Price: $20.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and inspiring, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Author Sandy Tolan presents a compelling work that focuses on the efforts of a young Palestinian, Ramzi Hussein, to establish a music school in an area of conflict. Instead of being one-sided, I felt the author did a credible job of presenting an impartial view of the conflict. There are accounts of how Palestinians are divided among themselves, and also of Jewish Israelis who would like to see peace and are for Palestinian statehood. Ramzi, who has been traumatized by the events he has experienced in his life, rises above all the carnage and finds inspiration in the power of music which proves to be the balm that heals. I feel richer for having read this.

Original Gourmet Lollipops Starter Kit, Original and Cream Swirl
Original Gourmet Lollipops Starter Kit, Original and Cream Swirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Much too sugary sweet for my tastebuds., February 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had not expected such a large number of lollipops in a starter kit! These lollipops come in different flavors and one reviewer has already listed the flavors included in this kit. My take on these pretty-looking lollipops? They are much too sweet for me. Also, I agree with several other reviewers in that it is difficult to discern the differences in flavor between some of the lollipops. What comes through though is the rich, sugary taste that masks the flavors themselves. If that's what you want, then great, but I was really hoping for something that had a distinct difference between flavors. I'll stick to my go-to favorites: Chupa Chups. They are pretty though and would make great treats for a child's goody bag.

Her Name Is Rose: A Novel
Her Name Is Rose: A Novel
by Christine Breen
Price: $19.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-written story that speaks to the heart, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Her Name is Rose" turned out to be an engaging and lovely book. It reminded me of the novels of Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher, which are what I term "comfort reads." The story is set in Ireland and Boston and follows the lives of a mother, Iris, and her adopted daughter, Rose. As a widow, Iris, is trying to make her way in life but a medical diagnosis pushes her to take a chance and go on a journey of discovery. Meanwhile, nineteen-year-old Rose is an accomplished violinist who is going through her own journey of self-discovery.

The story is well-narrated, drawing readers into the lives of both mother and daughter. The insights on life is easy to relate to and credibly portrayed. If you love a well-written story on human relationships, choices, and life, then "Her Name is Rose" is one you might find rewarding and well worth curling up with on these cold, winter days.

Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler (1170)
Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler (1170)
Offered by Sell Lounge Inc.
Price: $21.99
5 used & new from $16.91

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing, heavy-duty stapler, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow! I had no idea how large this stapler was until I unboxed it. Despite the size, it’s actually compact. The stapler is also heavy and appears to be made of durable materials. The staples are easy to place in the staple compartment, and there is also a lever that adjusts to enable easy placement of papers for stapling.

This is certainly great for heavy-duty stapling and it doesn’t require extra effort or force. Recommended!

A Bad Character: A novel
A Bad Character: A novel
by Deepti Kapoor
Price: $18.00
84 used & new from $7.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Facing up to one's deepest, darkest desires, February 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a rather unusual novel: the narrative method is through stream of consciousness, and the protagonist, a twenty-year-old young Indian woman, is nameless. The story centers around said young woman who floats around, lost. She lives with her aunt and feels a keen sense of something missing in her life. Then she meets a man who is all wrong for her: he manipulates her, uses her, and she finds she likes it. The story is set in 21st century Delhi and what comes through the book is the raw, visceral Delhi, not the ones you would picture - no demure young, innocent here, but a young woman who experiences her sexual awakening. The language is sparse and makes for easy reading, but above all, enables the reader to visualize the young woman's experiences with perfect clarity. I would not say this is for everyone, but if you are keen to try something different, "A Bad Character" just might be something to titillate the senses.

Gwendolen: A Novel
Gwendolen: A Novel
by Diana Souhami
Price: $12.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed execution, February 15, 2015
This review is from: Gwendolen: A Novel (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a great fan of George Eliot’s works, including “Daniel Deronda” which this novel puts a spin on, I was curious to see how the author would present the story. I loved the idea of telling the story from Gwendolen’s perspective. However, as much as I laud the author for taking a bold risk here, I felt the execution was flawed and lacking. The trouble was that I kept comparing this novel to Eliot’s “Daniel Deronda” and found myself getting overly annoyed by what I felt was Gwendolen’s “impertinence” in overwhelming Daniel’s narrative. The parts I did enjoy were those that focused on Gwendolen’s “emancipation” and finally finding her voice. Unfortunately, these sections were too few and too late into the novel. My recommendation would be to re-read or discover the wonders of Eliot’s original instead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20