Profile for Z Hayes > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Z Hayes RSS Feed (TX, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AT-A-GLANCE Weekly / Monthly Planner, Garden Party Design, Academic Year, 12 Months, July 2015-June 2016, 8.5 x 11 Inch Page Size (150-905A)
Price: $22.21
2 used & new from $22.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Paper quality and color scheme could be improved, May 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This At-A-Glance Academic Planner by ACCO Brands is a pretty planner with a floral theme throughout. It has a sturdy plastic cover which will provide protection from spills etc. and the months of the year are tabbed in plastic material which is also a plus. However, I am not enthralled with the paper quality. It feels rather too thin to me and I'm not sure how it would work with felt-tip pens and/or markers. Also, the color of the paper is a rather dark tan which is not to my liking as I prefer a lighter backdrop. Overall, this is a nice-looking academic planner with an attractive design but I still prefer my BlueSky Planner which I have been using for several years.

All-Clad Textiles Fiber Reactive Coffee theme Print on Kitchen Towel, Cappuccino
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Plush, striking and functional kitchen towel, May 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I simply adore this kitchen towel! It is certainly one of the more luxurious kitchen towels I've owned. The towel is oversized at 17 by 30 inches and is 100 % cotton. It feels so soft and the instructions say to machine wash cold with like colors and tumble dry low, and not to use bleach and fabric softeners so as to maintain the color and soft feel. I love the coffee print and seeing it in my kitchen as I enjoy my own cuppa is certainly a nice feeling. I look forward to using this high end kitchen towel for a long time.

AT-A-GLANCE Weekly / Monthly Planner, Pop Robin Design, Academic Year, 12 Months, July 2015-June 2016, 5.5 x 8.5 Inch Page Size (601-200A)
Price: $21.48
3 used & new from $21.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and pretty planner that can fit in a purse, May 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is such a pretty planner! It has a soft yet sturdy cover with an embossed print of branches with the outline of birds (in pink) on the cover. Being spiral-bound makes this planner convenient for jotting down notes/meetings/ etc. The months of the year are tabbed which also makes it easy to flip and find what one needs. There is sufficient space for taking notes and best of all this is not too large and can easily fit into a purse.

Linksys WRT AC1200 Dual-Band and Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit and USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA, Works with Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router (WRT1200AC)
Offered by Jazzer Shack
Price: $222.00
11 used & new from $141.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Features and performance of the WRT more than overcome the retro industrial design, May 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband, the techie in our family tested this and here's his feedback:
The WRT1200AC (WRT) is well suited for home office (like mine) or a small business that may or may not need a dedicated firewall. I have a dedicated firewall, (old) SonicWall (SW) Appliance so my TWC modem goes into the SW with one Ethernet port to the Router, because of biz requirements.
The WRT slipped right in place of my NetGear R6300 with a MAC change on the SW. The 6300 replaced a previous Linksys EA2700, as all our phones were upgraded to SGN3's (with ac). I have several 4TB DLINK NAS boxes that have 1G+ files that I have to move around. My home office has a hard wired server and an assortment of wireless devices including phones(5), printers(3), laptops(5), NAS(4), chrome sticks (2), fire stick, set top box(3) and a couple of other mac addresses I need to track down.
The 6300 is in the middle of a single story 2600 Sq. ft. house and is somewhat range limited at the edges on g & n. The phones do fine anywhere in the house and for a good 10 feet outside the house.

As there are several detailed/quantitative reviews of the WRT on the net, I'm limiting my comments to a more qualitative review of the WRT in my environment. Phone reception is the same as the R6300. Wireless streaming to the laptops (g & n) from the NAS' is the same except at the perimeter of the house. The WRT has a stronger signal and when streaming there were no buffering lags. Again, I have no ac cards for the laptops - so g & n only.

Now here's what I really like about the WRT - I was able to hook a 2TB (WD) drive to the USB3 port and then reconfigured the drive with an eSATA adapter. Both adapters worked perfectly with WRT. I also tried a 2TB Seagate, again with no problems. I could not get an external drive to work reliably of the NetGear USB2 port. I formatted the drive in ntfs with no problems. For comparison with the NAS I did some transfers to my server eSATA port. I was able to get about 15% better performance from the WRT than from the NAS. Yea! The NAS’ are older DLINK DNS’, so that is part of the equation and the new WRT processor and USB3/eSATA was the other part – but Yippee! The expansion drive box for the WRT has USB3 & eSATA and looks to fit nicely under the WRT – Although I don’t see anyone selling that unit yet.

Internet access – The WRT should be fine, but the SW sits between TWC and the WRT for me – simplifies my many conversations with TWC!

ROS – router OS; “We” seem to be in that no man land where every vendor feels the need to do a custom web interface to their routers – I don’t like the NetGear web interface! And I don’t like the Linksys web interface either! But, the WRT processor drives the many “useless” html pages faster than the “older” NetGear or other Linksys routers I have had. And like the NetGear you can get a “useless” network map! Just what my mom and dad would enjoy – not!

Remote management – Because of the SW, I did not access the Android remote management for the WRT.

Wireless streaming - I did a 4GB file transfer from my server to the eSATA drive attached to the WRT and simultaneously streamed a 1G+ MP4 to the Chrome Stick from my laptop – WOW, no buffering on the streaming movie!

Price – mine was provided for review, BUT I’m keeping it! It seems as though the consensus is to go for the WRT1900 – better antenna price performance than the 1200 J

Oh, and one other note – I do agree with the reviewer that mentioned the WPS access should be on the front of the WRT. The NetGear’s is on the side.

Open Source – cool, but had no time to evaluate.

I will miss the warm white glow of the NetGear logo, but the Linksys panel lights are pleasing to. I thought about using the R6300 as a bridge; I thought about adding a hi-gain antenna; but at this point why waste the money and electrons (?)

Overall, the features and performance of the WRT more than overcome the retro industrial design - 4 out 5 stars

Global Art Materials 120-Piece Leather Pencil Case, Antique Brown
Global Art Materials 120-Piece Leather Pencil Case, Antique Brown
Price: $35.96
9 used & new from $35.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish leather case to hold all my treasured pencils, May 26, 2015
I have lots of colored pencils and the problem with the tin cases they come in is that they are easily opened and there is a danger of them falling out which spells certain doom for the leads, and this posed transportation problems. When I saw this Global Art Materials 120 piece pencil holder, I decided to purchase it even though it is rather pricey. However the quality more than makes up for the price and I believe it is worth the price. Made of durable leather, the case is comfortable to hold and I only wish that the manufacturers had placed a strap on it to make carrying it even more convenient.

I have included pictures of how the case looks with my colored pencils in it. The straps are rather tight at first but will loosen slightly over time so that should not be an issue. I do love how easily I can transport my colored pencils now without worrying about the pencils spilling out of a tin case.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Searchers After Horror: New Tales of the Weird and Fantastic
Searchers After Horror: New Tales of the Weird and Fantastic
by S. T. Joshi
Price: $23.91
34 used & new from $18.05

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging new anthology compiled by S.T. Joshi, May 25, 2015
"Searchers After Horror" is strictly speaking, not a Lovecraftian anthology. However, the stories within the book contain allusions to Lovecraftian characters and tales. I checked this book out of my local library (I had not even realized this title was out), and was impressed by the general quality of the stories, not to mention the effort taken by the publishers to put out such a well-bound book. The quality and feel of this hardcover (sewn binding) makes this an exquisite book to handle, but enough of that for now.

The stories are a mixture of true horror and the strange. Some are more in the vein of general horror, as in Ramsey Campbell's "At Lorn Hall" which seemed more of a typical haunted house story. There is a bit of the weird tale element here, but not quite in-your-face. "The Patter of Tiny Feet" by Richard Gavin is another such tale, though the climax and ending do seem rather Lovecraftian.

Frankly, this is a decent anthology. Yes, some tales are rather tame but others are truly macabre, and it is for the reader to delve in and discover the treasures within.

Perky-Pet 403CP Pinch Waist Plastic Hummingbird Feeder with Free Nectar, 8-Ounce
Price: $9.50
11 used & new from $7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed hummingbird feeder., May 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned several hummingbird feeders in variations of this design for several years and am pleased with this latest version. The perches on the bottom make this ideal for small birds. The feeder I received came with a packet of nectar and a hook for hanging which was convenient. I have hung it outside my kitchen nook window and it is nice to see the birds come up to it.

Hammer Horror-The Devil Rides Out [Blu-ray]
Hammer Horror-The Devil Rides Out [Blu-ray]
Price: $50.99
5 used & new from $33.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Way too pricey but an excellent occult-themed film, May 25, 2015
The film "The Devil Rides Out" is an example of how when Hammer does it right, it does it exceedingly well. Based on Dennis Wheatley's occult-themed novel, the film was directed by Terence Fisher and the screenplay was written by Richard Matheson. It is one of my all-time favorite occult films and rich in visuals and sense of atmosphere. Unfortunately, as much as I love the film, I can't quite justify paying such a high price for the film, Blu-Ray or not, and will just have to patiently wait for it to be released on a Region 1 DVD and hopefully at a more affordable price. One can only hope.

The story focuses on the Duc de Richleau, Nicholas (played by Christopher Lee) who discovers that the friend of a son, Simon (Patrick Mower) is involved in the occult and ends up in the classic good vs. evil duel to the end with charismatic and evil Mocata (Charles Gray who delivers an amazing performance as a manipulative Satanist). Wonderful performances all around and a must-see.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2015 5:17 AM PDT

Detailed Designs and Beautiful Patterns (Sacred Mandala Designs and Patterns Coloring Books for Adults) (Volume 28)
by Lilt Kids Coloring Books
Price: $10.06
32 used & new from $9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful designs and a great de-stressing activity, May 24, 2015
I have always loved drawing and coloring but it had been years since I really did these activities on a regular basis. With a demanding job and family commitments, I thought my days of drawing and coloring were over, but I have since found that I am able to squeeze in some time once in a while to do these relaxing and de-stressing activities, thanks in part to coloring books like these. These are not your average kiddie coloring books but created specifically for adults (it states "Adult Coloring Book" on the front page) although I can see these being used by older children who love coloring and have the patience.

I find the designs lovely and intricate but not so intricate as to make it a chore to color. I have been using my Derwent Pastel Coloring Pencils, Derwent Metallic Coloring Pencils, and also my Staedtler Ergo Soft Coloring Pencils, and have been very pleased with the results. The paper quality is above average and I even tried using some markers(but found they were not my favorite medium for coloring) with no bleed through. The designs can be framed too if one wishes because each coloring page is only printed on one side. I look forward to many hours of pleasant and calming coloring!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ancient Greece: Greek Mythology, the Goddess Athena - Classroom Poster
Ancient Greece: Greek Mythology, the Goddess Athena - Classroom Poster
Offered by PosterEnvy
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality posters, May 24, 2015
I wanted to put up posters of figures from Greek mythology in my classroom as we studied the mythology unit, and found that I liked these posters from PosterEnvy since they feature the classical statues depicting the various gods and goddesses of Greek mythology. The paper quality is above average and to ensure the posters hold up for several years, I had each poster laminated. They now grace my classroom walls and I love the classic look of the posters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20