Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Z Hayes > Reviews

Browse

Z Hayes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 4461
Top Reviewer Ranking: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Z Hayes RSS Feed (TX, USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Clique
The Clique

4.0 out of 5 stars To be or not to be in the Clique, August 30, 2015
This review is from: The Clique (Amazon Instant Video)
Firstly, I only watched this movie because my ten-year-old daughter is a great fan of the books. She is not into being popular or anything like what the girls in the Clique are but she does enjoy well-told, engaging stories, and she loves the books, so when I saw the film was available here for instant streaming, I decided to spend part of my Sunday watching it with her, just to see what the fuss was all about.

Let me start by saying that although I was initially horrified by the blatant narcissism of the main characters, I realized that many adolescents are focused on themselves and the story and film just took it a whole notch up by portraying how mean-spirited and self-involved the Clique girls were. Claire, a transplant from Florida, moves into alpha girl Massie's pool house as Claire's dad has just received a great job offer from Massie's dad (both girls' dads are good friends). Massie is resentful of Claire from the get go and makes life a living hell for the new girl, just because. The other girls in Massie's clique, i.e. Dylan, Felicia, and Kristen, come together under Massie's instigation to torment and belittle Claire. The story follows Claire as she goes from the trod upon new girl to someone who tries to change her own personality to fit in with the Clique, until she comes to the realization that changing one's personality and beliefs to fit in rarely ends with positive results.

The moral of the story is a good one and the actors portraying the various roles here do a credible job for the most part. The only bad word that I caught in the film was "bitch" which is used several times to describe certain characters. Other than that, I recommend watching this with a pre-teen and young teen girl as there are some life lessons to be learned.

Dear Frankie
Dear Frankie
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, contemplative film that deserves a wider audience, August 29, 2015
Some good movies occasionally get by me and "Dear Frankie" (2004) is one of those films. This is one of those quiet films that gently eases itself into one's soul and remains there for a while. Emily Mortimer, Gerard Butler, and a young actor named Shona Auerbach deliver compelling performances that elevates this above a typical tearjerker.

Emily Mortimer plays Lizzie Morrison, a single mother who at the beginning of the film is moving her family, which includes her mother and Lizzie's hearing-impaired 9-year-old son, Frankie (Shona Auerbach). Apparently, the family is always moving and the reasons are revealed earlier on in the film, though not with any specifics provided. Frankie settles into a routine at school - he is the target of nasty comments by some of his peers, but manages to make a good friend. Frankie loves geography and looks forward to receiving letters from his Da, a man Frankie has never met but who sends Frankie letters, describing travels on a ship named Accra.

Early on in the film it is revealed that these letters are actually penned by Lizzie, who does not want Frankie to know the real truth about his Da. When the Accra is revealed to be docking at their seaside town, the school bully insists that Frankie show his Da off to the kids at school and Emily scrambles to find a total stranger who will step into the role. The man who picks up this assignment is none other than Gerard Butler, who plays a stranger who agrees to be Frankie's Da for a day or two.

The film moves languidly against the backdrop of a bucolic coastal town. Yet there is also the undertone of menace simmering just below the surface - this is well-portrayed by the facial expressions and furtive body language of Emily Mortimer's Lizzie. Why is she hell bent on keeping up with the deception, and why is she so afraid of her past catching up with her? These questions are answered late into the film, but definitely worth the wait. There is a sense of the bittersweet here with an ending that left me feeling contemplative about the vagaries of human existence.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2015 6:47 PM PDT

Duco Women's Classic Star Polarized Sunglasses Fashion style Glasses100% UV Protection 2511 Black
Offered by Duco Glasses Co., Ltd.
Price: $39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sunglasses that cut out the glare, August 29, 2015
Wow, these Duco Women's Polarized Sunglasses are amazing! I wore them for the first time today, it was really sunny out, and my eyes felt protected. These shades really cut down on the sun's glare which is essential to me because my eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light. The frames are large but I like the design, and there's even a little bit of bling on the sides which makes a nice accent. I am highly satisfied with these sunglasses, and the shades come in a nice zip up case.

Avery Economy Clear Sheet Protectors, Acid Free, Box of 100 (75091)
Avery Economy Clear Sheet Protectors, Acid Free, Box of 100 (75091)
Price: $9.99
74 used & new from $9.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and high quality sheet protectors, August 29, 2015
These Avery sheet protectors are the best I've ever used and I have been using them for several years. I used them to organize my notes back in grad school and for the past few years, I've been using them to organize my papers, lesson plans, and student notes. They are durable and can be re-used over and over again. This is a trusted brand and has never let me down.

Bennett Super Quality "Caddy" Acrylic Desk, Office Accessories Divider/Makeup Brushes Organizer/ Cosmetic Storage /Pen And Pencil Etc. holder,
Offered by HomeStart
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and simple design in a quality desk caddy, August 23, 2015
This desk organizer/ office supplies caddy is simple in design and sleek. I liked how I could organize my office supplies in it without making it look cluttered, and it doesn't take up too much space on my desk. It is well-made and sturdy, and has four small rubber bottoms that keep the caddy from sliding around. This caddy is a nice blend of form and function. Disclaimer: I received this caddy in exchange for an unbiased review.

eBags Kalya Town Square (Black)
eBags Kalya Town Square (Black)
Offered by eBags
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly functional, great quality, and spacious bag, August 18, 2015
This review is from: eBags Kalya Town Square (Luggage)
This is one of my favorite bags. The quality is incredible and the nylon material is soft and nice to the touch. I'm an educator and I have a lot of stuff to lug around so when I attend professional development activities, I like having my hands free - this makes a messenger bag an ideal candidate for carrying stuff around.

What is especially nice about this bag is that although it is a large messenger bag, it doesn't look bulky at all. I filled this bag with lots of things: my notebooks, planner, water bottle, large wallet, pencil case that was stuffed full of writing materials, my sweater, and a softcover book, and it still had room! Miraculously, the bag managed to appear streamlined despite all the things I placed in it.

Another feature that I love is the numerous pockets. The pockets all serve a practical purpose, and amazingly enough, make it easy for the user to access things. I love everything about this bag and will probably buy another in a different color so I can switch between bags. Its design makes this a bag that both males and females would enjoy carrying.

Burn, Witch, Burn!
Burn, Witch, Burn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic witchcraft film, August 17, 2015
Originally titled Night of the Eagle, 1962's Burn, Witch, Burn will satisfy classic horror fans. It has an excellent cast, a compelling plot, and high atmosphere. The film is in B&W, which adds to the creepy ambience. The story is centered in a university setting in a quiet English hamlet, where up-and-coming Professor Norman Taylor (Peter Wyngarde) is respected and admired by many. There are rivalries in this setting, with other academics vying for a coveted position at the university. When Taylor makes the shocking discovery that his devoted wife Tansy (Janet Blair) is dabbling in witchcraft to protect him and further his career, he destroys all her talismans and magic paraphernalia. Tansy warns him that this will bring bad luck and misfortune to them, but being a rational man, Taylor ignores her dire warnings.

Soon enough, strange and unfortunate things befall Taylor - he is almost run over by a truck, a female student claims he made advances to her, and Taylor begins to have serious doubts about his own personal beliefs regarding the supernatural. When Tansy runs off to their isolated cottage in an attempt to make things right, Taylor finds himself confronting some bitter truths and experiences a real dose of horror.

The cast does an excellent job in their respective roles - Wyngarde plays the cynical professor impeccably, and Janet Blair is credible as the obsessed witch who will go to any lengths to protect her husband. Then there's Margaret Johnston as Professor Flora Carr, who plays a significant role in the movie. The twists in the film keep it interesting and the effects are not altogether bad considering this movie was made in the 60s.

I love the Gothic feel of the movie, from the imposing university buildings to the sinister-looking eagles perched atop the turrets, the cottage by the seaside, the forbidding cemetery, etc. The score makes the viewer feel that something bad is about to happen any minute, and I was on the edge of my seat as I was watching this. I rank this as one of my favorite horror classics.

Dracula Scrapbook
Dracula Scrapbook
by Peter Haining
45 used & new from $0.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing book on vampire lore and films, August 15, 2015
This review is from: Dracula Scrapbook (Hardcover)
I was ten years old when I first watched HORROR OF DRACULA, the 1958 film starring Christopher Lee. I was so terrified, I slept with a pillow covering my neck for months afterward. However, my interest in horror movies had been kindled, and I continued to watch many other horror films, many of which have come to be categorized as classic horror today. By the time I read Bram Stoker's DRACULA at 12 or so, my interest in vampire stories had been firmly cemented and over the years I have collected many books, mainly fiction, on the subject. Imagine my delight then when I came across this 1976 edition of THE DRACULA SCRAPBOOK edited by Peter Haining. I paid two dollars for it at a library book sale and it is worth much more than that for the hours of enjoyment I have had from perusing it. Here one will find much to titillate the senses: archival photographs of film stills from the various DRACULA films (starring Lee, Bela Lugosi, and more), articles, reports, newspaper cuttings, poems, illustrations, and much more, all lovingly curated by Hanning to entertain readers and fans of the genre.

Haining himself states it perfectly, "There is scholarship and humor here, objective reporting and fascinating speculation, all drawn from nearly a century of obsession with an undead man who seems to grow more alive every day." Indeed, interesting nuggets of information are peppered throughout this fascinating piece of literature. For example, M.R. James, a master of British atmospheric horror, believed that Stoker's DRACULA may have been inspired by a story that once appeared in a now defunct Victorian magazine titled CHAMBER'S REPOSITORY. Sadly, the story itself can no longer be traced, so there is no way to authenticate James' claims.

I greatly enjoyed reading about the vampire legend among other cultures, such as the Malayan (now Malaysia) notion of a vampire called a "penanggalan" or "langsuir". I grew up in Malaysia and used to hear the locals whisper tales of such creatures, blood-curdling tales that kept me awake at night. Reading about these creatures in this book attests to the extensive research undertaken by Hanning. Other cultures covered are Japanese, Romanian, and more.

I discovered many things I had previously been ignorant of, such as the existence of early vampire tales, e.g. WAKE NOT THE DEAD by Johann Ludwig Tieck,THE DREAMLAND BRIDE by Theophile Gautier, VARNEY THE VAMPYRE, a penny weekly serial, and more. The coverage of vampires in films is quite impressive, and although by no means exhaustive, the collection of film stills alone counts for something and had me riveted (all the photographs and illustrations are in B&W).

All in all, I greatly recommend this oversized hardback of THE DRACULA SCRAPBOOK for fans of vampire stories and films, especially if you are a fan of classic horror vampire films.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2015 7:58 PM PDT

Lunch Bag by Freddie and Sebbie - Fashionable Reusable Large Neoprene Lunch Box - Luxury Lunch Boxes Bags For Women, Adults, Kids, Girls, and Teen Girls
Offered by Freddie and Sebbie
Price: $28.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Fashionable and ultra spacious lunch bag, August 15, 2015
This Freddie and Sebbie lunch bag is the epitome of high fashion and chic. I love that it is not only attractive but practical and roomy as well. The design with the cute handle at the top and the white polka dots against a black background stands out. The bag is made of neoprene material so it serves as excellent insulation for food and beverages. I can fit my lunch container, water bottle, an apple or banana in here with ease and with room for more. Excellent quality bag that I've come to expect from Freddie and Sebbie. I received this in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

I Teach What Is Your Superpower Teacher - Womens Tee T-Shirt, XL, Black
I Teach What Is Your Superpower Teacher - Womens Tee T-Shirt, XL, Black
Offered by Sexy Girl Rock
Price: $18.40
3 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Runs two sizes smaller, August 15, 2015
The t-shirt, though nice (not as thick as I would have liked) runs way too small. I normally wear an L and I ordered an XL. The XL looks like a regular M in most other clothes, so I will probably give this to someone since I can't be bothered with returns. You would probably have to order two sizes up in order to ensure the tee fits.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20