Profile for A. Loika > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Loika RSS Feed (Oregon, USA)

NETGEAR N900 Dual Band Wi-Fi USB Adapter (WNDA4100)
NETGEAR N900 Dual Band Wi-Fi USB Adapter (WNDA4100)
Offered by PIP GAMING
Price: $49.73
63 used & new from $12.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible Windows 8.1, November 18, 2013
I have the latest drivers installed. Everything worked with Windows 8.0. Fresh install of Windows 8.1 and it can no longer connect to 5ghz networks. This is a widely reported issue (google "wnda4100 windows 8.1 5ghz") with no useful responses from Netgear. Total fail and extremely disappointed for a product that had a premium price tag when I bought it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful/Practical Timepiece, August 21, 2012
After many years of owning various plastic watches (both inexpensive and decidedly not inexpensive) I'm very impressed with my latest time piece. I'm no watch aficionado but read positive reviews for this and am very happy having received it. The other people I've showed it to (also not watch geeks) have been very impressed.

My nylon band had none of the manufacturing imperfections I saw elsewhere. It's proving comfortable and stylish given my practical outdoor-ish tastes. Also, the nylon (not the stainless buckle) is what contacts my laptop palm rest.

The face is gorgeous, much more precise and clean than the watches I'm used to, even from a distance. I love the incremental ticks of the second hand. (Somebody else said there were six per second?)

It's very clean/clear and easy to read from a distance, faster than my previous digital and MUCH faster than digging my phone out of my pocket.

The size looks great on my small-side-of-average-for-a-six-foot-guy wrists, rugged and assertive yet not obnoxiously large as seems to be the current trend. Also thin enough to not get caught on clothing/jackets, or to clunk against doorways/etc when I walk by. (A problem I had with my thick altimeter-barometer-compass watch)

Having worn it for a week I've had no problems keeping it wound, given that I wear my watches whenever I'm not in bed or in the shower.

I like being able to see the action through the clear back, which looks great when sitting on the nightstand.

I can hear/feel the weight moving in the watch when I pay attention, but after a day or so I've stopped noticing during use.

My only (significant?) con so far is that the watch accumulates a minimum of 17 seconds per day, even if leave it on its side at night as suggested elsewhere. (Unless I'm doing this wrong?) My current hope is that after a longer break-in period I'm able to add/lose seconds at night depending on placement as I read I should be able to, given that I can't stop the second hand. In the meantime I'm letting it run down for a day and then resetting it.

A minor con is that the minute hand doesn't precisely align with the minute ticks on the face when the second hand is at the 12 o'clock position. I wouldn't have noticed this (or cared) were I not trying to track the gain/loss of seconds per day.

While a very personal value judgement, know that from a non-watch-geek person who does appreciate detail and good design (for example, the leather Book Book case for the MacBook Air) this watch was a great "value", ie for me it has a high price/performance ratio.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 8:55 PM PDT

Velvet Dogma
Velvet Dogma
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite There, July 28, 2012
This review is from: Velvet Dogma (Kindle Edition)
Having read hundreds (or more?) of novels over the years, with an emphasis on near-future science fiction (my favorite genre!) when I compare this novel it just isn't up to the standards of what I'm used to. If other readers are looking to gamble I say go for it, but this likely isn't the undiscovered gem you were hoping for based on the current percentage of 5-star reviews.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 8:48 PM PDT

Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-approved meals you can make in under 30 minutes (Primal Blueprint Series)
by Mark Sisson
Price: $19.63
85 used & new from $13.33

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Own Only One Cookbook..., May 25, 2011
...this is the one. Fabulously delicious recipes that are quick and easy, it's transformed our dinner table for the better. I rarely write reviews but this was just a huge success. Many thanks to the authors!

Pit Bull CHIIG0004 Pit Bull CHIIG0004 Gear Puller, 4-Piece
Pit Bull CHIIG0004 Pit Bull CHIIG0004 Gear Puller, 4-Piece

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money at ANY Price, January 20, 2010
Poorly manufactured cheap garbage. I wouldn't use these for free and am EXTREMELY sorry I purchased them.

Logitech V270 Cordless Optical Bluetooth Mouse- Charcoal
Logitech V270 Cordless Optical Bluetooth Mouse- Charcoal
9 used & new from $68.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom Line? Very Functional, December 1, 2007
I dont' want to spend a lot of time repeating what other reviewers have said, so the bottom line is this is a very functional mouse. I spend hours using it each day, have owned it for over a year, carry it to school without a case in my backpack 3-5 days a week, and haven't had ANYTHING to complain about. It works, it works well in fact for what it is, and would make an excellent addition to anyone's gear bag.

Thermos 1.1-Quart Stainless-Steel Vacuum Insulated Bottle with Strap
Thermos 1.1-Quart Stainless-Steel Vacuum Insulated Bottle with Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect - The Ultimate All Day Coffee Mug, October 8, 2005
I spent a good several hours before purchasing this thermos, and was somewhat surprised as it was the only product I could find that met all of my requirements. My wishlist was as follows...

- 24 oz or larger (saving money by brewing my own coffee only works if I can bring enough)

- Leakproof so I can toss it in my backpack or in the back seat

- Sippable lid

- One handed for use while driving

This Nissan does all that and more! As for the other reviewers that had leaking problems, perhaps the design has changed but I have had absolutely NO leaks and have a hard time imagining how they could develop. The rubber used makes a very positive seal and like the rest of the bottle is of a high quality. (Just don't over fill it) Another example of the design work that went into this bottle is a positive stop so that you can only tighten the bottle so far, ensuring you know you've tightened it far enough and that you don't overcompress the rubber seals, shortening their lifespan. You will also notice from my list of requirements above that I wanted a bottle I could use as a mug, ie a sippable lid with one-handed operation for use in the car, and again the Nissan excels with a good positive seal and a button operated spring loaded lid that springs into action quite pleasantly. I use the bottle daily and have had no problems, but I do foresee problems in the future if I ever forget to clean it out. The plastic and rubber both pick up the flavor and smell of the coffee which is fine, but that would be a real problem if I left some coffee with milk or half'n'half in there for a few days. (I've thrown away other bottles for this problem, I simply could not get the smell out) Before receiving the bottle I had planned on throwing the strap out, but have found it quite convenient for carrying the bottle by hand or for actually slinging over my sholder when my hands are otherwise full. The only suggestion I have for improvement would be a non-slip bottom, as the bottle tends to slide while standing on a slanted desktop while in class. In summary this is a very well designed and constructed bottle that fills a niche very well. While other bottles have different features, this one has the particular combination I was looking for and it is working out perfectly.