Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 185
Helpful Votes: 1930

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
The Ruthie Henshall Album
The Ruthie Henshall Album
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly beautiful voice, July 28, 2012
I purchased this whole album on mp3 shortly after watching "The miserables" musical in London. The musical was excellent, it was my first time, and I was particularly struck by the sad, moving and beautiful "I dreamed a dream". At home, I started some search on the web, and after some minutes I bumped into a video of this song, recorded several years ago, and sung by Ms Henshall's, whom I didn't know before (I believe you can find excerpts from that 'anniversary edition' of the musical on DVD). This lady's voice is so beautiful that I immediately started searching the web for recordings, and I was surprised to find very little! This is the only collection of famous musical songs I could find, and I am so happy I found it! Her voice is clear and beautiful, and the version of "I dreamed a dream" you will find here is by itself worth the price of the whole album (and in any case you can also purchase individual songs on mp3). Highly recommended, thanks Ms Henshall for your outstanding vocal achievements!

Financial Times - US Edition
Financial Times - US Edition
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it! (and beware of some obsolete comments), October 25, 2011
(updated on 7/28/2012) I have been a subscriber to the paper edition of the FT for a few years now, and I have been reading it on kindle for more than a year. I love it! So far I can see (almost) only advantages:

1. it is much less expensive. I used to have a discounted academic US subscription, but now apparently it is no longer available. The regular subscription is now ~350/year, while the kindle edition is 15/month = 180/year. Obviously much better.

2. I have the smallish Kindle keyboard 3G, but reading and navigation are just great. In particular, it is really easy to navigate. You just press the 5-way button once to reach the compact table of content. Just right or left-press it to move to the next-previous article. It is actually way easier that using the newspaper with all those big pages, especially when you are in a constricted space like a plane of a crowded subway.

3. The graphs and photos ARE there. Some users complained about their absence, but that was perhaps in earlier editions. I am not sure ALL of them are on the kindle editions, but I haven't missed any I care about so far.

4. The web links also appear to work, in contrast to what other comments say. They are not ideal (you have to open the experimental browser to follow the link, obviously) but on the other hand you certainly could not follow a web link from the paper edition, could you?

5. You can store past issues without the need of any physical space. Keep in mind that old issues are, by default, deleted from your kindle after 10 days or so.

6. You do not need to get out of the house at 7AM at sub-freezing temperatures to pick up your copy! Last night I could not sleep and I downloaded the FT around 4AM, awesome!

7. It is more environmentally friendly, because paperless!

8. You never miss a copy because (as it happened once in a while in my case) your local delivery service happens to skip a delivery.

9. You can have your copy even if you travel, no more need to suspend delivery. Even if you travel outside the US, as long as you have access to the web, you can download the copy on hard drive and then transfer it (free of charge) on your kindle, via USB. Just keep in mind that you do end up paying extra fees (about 5 dollars/week) if you want the newspaper to be delivered directly to your kindle WITH 3G AND you are outside of the US. Delivery remains FREE if you have access to Wi-fi. Of course, you need to keep in mind that, if you travel to a different time zone, you may not get the FT in early morning. Still, in Europe (6 hours ahead of EST) I am always able to download my FT at 7-8AM, and in Australia/Asia around 10AM!

One of the few drawbacks I can think of is that if you live in a place where pickpocketing/theft are common, then you will have to be more careful when you commute, because no one will want to steal your paper copy of the FT, but many would like to steal your kindle. This may be paranoid, but I do live in a place where theft is a problem.

Other minor quibbles:
- sometimes a few characters in titles appear all scrambled and unreadable. This is VERY rare, however. It mostly happen with book titles in the Saturday's edition of the FT.
- as far as I know (but please correct me if I am wrong!) you cannot save individual articles in a nicely formatted way. When you "clip the article", the article is added to a single file which on my kindle appears as un-formatted (e.g. no pictures, no bold characters for titles etc.). I presume you can still convert this file into other formats amenable to formatting, but that would be a drag. It would be nice if Amazon/FT found a way to retain and store individual articles in a way that preserves all the formatting, perhaps even allowing for a date index.

Anyway, after more than a year of daily use, in the US, Europe, Asia and Australia, I can only say that I very highly recommend the FT for kindle. It's one of those (perhaps little) things that makes you think how much technology can make your life easier.

UPDATE, April 2014: Until a few months ago you could only see the newspaper in the old B&W kindle. Now you can also see it in android tablet. I own a Nexus 7 (2nd generation) and it works perfectly, with color pictures and all. The only option that does not seem to exist on tablet is "clip article", so it looks like you cannot save articles as ASCII files as you can with the kindle B&W. At least I have not been able to do it but if you know otherwise please correct me.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 9:59 PM PDT

by Aravind Adiga
93 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another very good novel from Adiga, perhaps not as good as The White Tiger, September 25, 2011
This review is from: Last Man in Tower (Hardcover)
I loved The White Tiger, which I thought was one of the best novels I ever read. Such a perfect description of what "real" India is today. I was so eager to read the new book that I did not want to wait until it came out in the US and I purchased a copy from the UK.

Overall, I think this is a worthy second novel, although I didn't like as much as his first. Last Man in Tower is clearly an "ensemble" novel. On the one hand, digging into so many different characters added variety to the story, but on the other hand I ended up not knowing enough about any of them, perhaps with the exception of Last Man "Masterji". I also thought that the very last pages (about which I won't reveal anything) were a bit underwhelming, despite the thrilling build-up that led to them.

If you liked the White Tiger, you will also want to keep in mind that this novel is considerably darker. And you may also want to keep in mind that if you are not familiar with the Indian culture & food, a few details will likely escape you here and there, although this is not a big deal. But overall Mr Adiga is a gifted writer, and his descriptions of India today, stripped of all the exaggerations that you often find in journalistic accounts, are sadly much closer to a reality that still lags behind what many thinks or say. Mr Adiga does also a great job at constructing multi-dimensional characters, none of which is purely good or evil. Like in the White Tiger, there is no easy moral.

Overall I am happy I read this book, and if you enjoyed The White Tiger you will likely enjoy Last Man in Tower as well. Thanks Mr Adiga's for your novels, I look forward to reading your next one!

National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States, 6th Edition (National Geographic Guide to National Parks of the United States)
by National Geographic
44 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, but do you really need it?, September 25, 2011
This is a book I always look at when I plan a trip in or around US National Parks (NP). Most parks are devoted 4-5 pages, with a number of beautiful pictures and good indications about the main attractions to be seen if you only have 1-2-3 days to spend in a park.

On the other hand, if you are reading this review you have access to the web, and hence it is not completely clear that this book will have a lot of value added for you relative to what you can find, for free, on the web. Google pictures will give you more images you can deal with. The NP web site will give you 100 times more information than this book (including much better maps) and tripadvisor or yelp will tell you all you need to know about hotels and restaurants. And if you are planning to go on long hikes, that is, if you are not planning to just sit in your car and move from one overlook to the next, this book will only point you to the major trails, but won't give you much details. For detailed maps you will have to check out the NP web site or other sources.

So, overall this is a good overview, useful perhaps at the time of deciding which park to visit. But once you know where you are going, you will most likely have to resort to other sources, most of which are actually available for free on the web. Still, I am happy I have this book, and the price is right (once you take Amazon's discount into account).

Oxford Picture Dictionary English-Spanish: Bilingual Dictionary for Spanish speaking teenage and adult students of English (Oxford Picture Dictionary 2E)
by Jayme Adelson-Goldstein
Price: $19.89
82 used & new from $15.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 9, 2011
I am trying to learn a bit of Spanish and from the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon this book looked an excellent quick visual reference to learn Spanish words. It definitely is, and the visual descriptions are really helpful and well-organized. For instance one can look at specific pages to learn useful words if you have to go to a bank, or you have to deal with common emergencies, or you are dealing with a contractor, or you want to go shopping for groceries etc.

Overall, I am happy I purchased this book and I highly recommended it. You do want to keep two issues in mind, though. First, being a visual guide, this book teaches you very little about grammar. Second, this book is ideal if you are a Spanish-speaking person trying to learn English, while it is not designed for folks like me who are learning Spanish. Mind you, it's still a great resource, but while all words in the pictures are listed in English and Spanish, all the extra material is in English and about English (e.g. suggested conversations, the little grammar there is, useful sentences). Also, at the end of the book there is one index of the Spanish words, and one index for the English words, but only the latter indicates the pronunciation.

So, if you are looking for something to learn new words in Spanish and you speak English, this book is great, but if you are looking for a book that will teach you how to form sentences in Spanish you may want to look (also or exclusively) for something else.

by Aravind Adiga
58 used & new from $0.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Another very good book from Adiga, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Last Man in Tower (Hardcover)

If you liked the White Tiger, you will also want to keep in mind that this novel is considerably darker. And you may also want to keep in mind that if you are not familiar with the Indian culture & food, a few details will likely escape you here and there, although this is not a big deal. But overall Mr Adiga is a gifted writer, and his descriptions of India today, stripped of all the exaggerations that you often find in journalistic accounts, are sadly much closer to a reality that still lags behind what many thinks or say. Mr Adiga does also a great job at constructing multi-dimensional characters. none of which is purely good or evil. Like in the White Tiger, there is no easy moral.

The Living Room (Library Edition Audio CDs)
The Living Room (Library Edition Audio CDs)
by Graham Greene
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $29.95
8 used & new from $6.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Good material, uneven acting, July 3, 2011
I owe many of the wonderful plays produced by LA Theater Works, but this is far below the average and will likely be re-sold soon.

On the one hand, I found this very grim play very good and interesting, with much compelling dialogue on love, life, death and religion.

On the other hand, Julian Sands is just terrible as the main male character. He maintains the same artificial, monotone, depressed tone of voice throughout the whole play, and he shows no hint of spontaneity. I found his performance theatrical in the worst of its meanings. Everyone else is really good, but every time Sands was in a scene I would cringe and hope for him to leave soon. The following is a bit of an unfair comment, perhaps, but I also thought that Jane Carr, while playing her part really well, has a voice that just did not fit. Her strangely funny voice is perfect in comedies, but her role here is way too dramatic for that.

Anyway, I would not recommend this play much. Too bad because without Sands' mediocre performance it could have been really excellent.

Little Red Boots
Little Red Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Little Red Boots (MP3 Music)
First, let me tell you that I am a seriously incompetent music listener (e.g. I always heard of Dolly Parton, to whom Ortega is compared by many, but I never knowingly listened to her...). Now that you know I do not really know what I am talking about, let me tell you that I like this CD immensely. I purchased it after listening to bits and pieces of it on NPR. The music is great, the lyrics are great, the voice is amazing.

My recommendation is, just listen to the samples, and chances are you will decide to purchase the whole CD right away. Fantastic find, highly recommended! Now I think I should go check out some of those Dolly Parton songs...

Barcelona & Catalonia (Cadogan Guides) (Cadogan Guide Barcelona & Catalonia)
Barcelona & Catalonia (Cadogan Guides) (Cadogan Guide Barcelona & Catalonia)
by Dana Facaros
16 used & new from $17.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent travel guide from Cadogan, February 14, 2011
Over the last couple of years I have become a loyal customer of Cadogan travel guides (I also own Cadogan guides for "France", "Bologna and Emilia Romagna" and "Gascony, the Pyrenees and Toulouse", all of which I liked a lot). I prefer guides that devote a lot of space to history and site description and not too much to hotels/restaurants etc and these guides are just like that.

I used this guide while spending a few days in the wonderful Barcelona and I liked it a lot. The guide is well-written with a lot of historical information (taking into account the size of the book), nice maps (with a caveat, see below), very nice formatting, useful tips on "don't miss" locations. We tried only one of the restaurants suggested in the guide (which was all right) but we also checked out a few others and they seemed to be very good choices overall. In one case we could not get a table because the restaurant was already all booked for the day (Kaiku, on the beachfront)! The section on the history of Barcelona was quite long and interesting. Also insightful were the sections on Gaudi', Parc Guell, the Sagrada Familia and the architecture of the Example.

Perhaps the one thing I thought could have been done better was the maps. There are two maps for Barcelona, a larger one which covers most of the city, and a more detailed one for the area around the old town. Both were reliable and very useful for general orientation. The problem is that these maps were instead not very useful in finding restaurants, whose location is briefly described in the "eating out" section but not located on the map. In some cases the street/square where the restaurant was located wasn't even labeled in the map, which caused us some trouble. Cadogan's maps would be much improved if hotels/restaurants were clearly indicated. Given that, as I was writing before, these guides include a relatively small number of options, I think these locations could be included in the maps without adding too much clutter.

But with this caveat this is a great guide and I would certainly buy it again. Good job once again, Cadogan!

Hunter Bahamas (Adventure Guide to the Bahamas) (Adventure Guide to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos)
by Blair Howard
59 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars "Adventure" guide?, December 8, 2010
I must second what another reviewer wrote, that is, this is far from being a good guide for someone looking for any details about hiking/outdoors in the Bahamas. Most space is devoted to dining/hotels/casinos. Today I was amused by finding "Golf" and "Gambling" listed as sub-sections of a chapter called "Adventures on land" for Grand Bahama. This speaks volumes about what you can expect from this book. Very little space devoted to history, hiking, natural areas outside of underwater activities. I was hoping to find a guide similar to DeFreitas' "Adventures in Nature Caribbean", which is really excellent but unfortunately does not cover the Bahamas.

This guide really is just a short introduction to these Islands and is more appropriate for a "standard" tourist looking for standard tourist attractions. Given the low price of the book on the web the quality/price ratio is still not bad at all, but this guide is overall highly inadequate for someone looking for good information on outdoors activities on land in the Bahamas and even as a standard travel guide is no more than average. I would buy it again given the price, but do keep your expectations low.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19