Profile for Chuck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chuck RSS Feed (Columbus, Ohio USA)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars These suckers are heavy, June 6, 2011
I just unboxed them and put them on my touring bike. Mamma Mia, these suckers are HEAVY. If I decide they are too heavy I will move them to my commuter bike. However I do like the idea of touring with plain old everyday sandals and I am hoping that I will have fewer problems with hot spots on my feet.

For now I have given them four stars because they look well built, easy to maintain and I do think they will solve some foot pain issues that I have been experiencing. I will update this review after I have taken several rides with the pedals.

LG Octane (Verizon Wireless)
LG Octane (Verizon Wireless)

4.0 out of 5 stars LG Octane - happy so far, January 18, 2011
I purchased this phone in mid-January (following some software updates) and so far I have been pleased. I have not had the problem with Echos or voice quality that others have reported. My daughters tell me that they can hear me more clearly than with my old phone. I believe that the software updates have solved these early problems. I like the keyboard and I find the user interface easy to be logical and intuitive. I like opening it up and being instantly in speaker phone mode.

Two things caused me to limit my evaluation to four stars. 1) I wish that I could generate more volume with both the ring tone and also hearing the person that I am talking too. There are controls for this but even the loudest settings are not quite as loud as I would prefer on occasion. 2) The camera is not the greatest, but that is not all that important as I do not plan to use the camera very extensively.

Overall I am happy with my purchase

Sony HTCT100 Sound Bar with Subwoofer - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony HTCT100 Sound Bar with Subwoofer - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
5 used & new from $135.00

2.0 out of 5 stars product causes my tv to flash on and off, December 22, 2008
I wanted to like this sound bar but it is going back tomorrow. At times it causes my television picture to flicker on and off. Others have reported this same problem. I'm not sure if my product is defective or if it just does not work well with my Sharp HDTV and Warner cable box. I do like the sound and I like the design concept but the product simply does not work in my home.

Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch
Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds Expectations, February 6, 2008
I purchased this watch to replace an older Polar heart rate monitor with dead batteries in the chest strap and the monitor. The design of that product required me to send both units in for replacement by a Polar service center. The cost was nearly as much as the cost of this timex heart rate monitor.

I am so pleased with this product. The instructon manual was clearly written and easy to understand. There are just enough functions for me without loading the product up with things I will never use. That makes using it simple and I can remember how to use it without having to refresh my memory by repeatedly rereading the manual.

The monitor is an excellent watch when not using the heart rate features. Best of all I can change the batteries myself when the time comes without sending the thing off in the mail to a service center.

On top of all that the price was reasonable. This is one of those few purchases that exceeded my expectations because everything that it does, it does a little bit better than I had hoped for.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2010 1:24 PM PST

Momentum Is Your Friend: The Metal Cowboy and His Pint-Sized Posse Take on America
by Joe Kurmaskie
Price: $20.42
59 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Momentum Is Your Friend - Exceeds Expectations, January 14, 2007
Each winter when the days grow short and the mercury dips below 30 degrees Fahrenheit, I choose one or two books to read about bicycle touring. The stories in these books remind me of my own touring adventures and inspire me to get back on the bike when the weather warms up and the days grow longer. Many of these books are presented in a similar format and read as a collection of short stories and adventures experienced by the author. After reading Joe Kurmaskie's previous books I picked up "Momentum Is Your Friend" expecting to be inspired, motivated and entertained.

While the book did not disappoint, I found that it offered much more. This is a book about a cross country bicycle trip that Joe shared with his young sons Quinn and Enzo and that made all the difference. In addition to being a book about bicycle touring this is a book about the love that a family has for each other. Joe was in a position where he was towing his sons and all of the gear that they needed cross country. While reading the book it seemed to me that it took equal portions of confidence, courage and insanity to set off on a trip like this. It also took the support of Joe's wife Beth.

Many mothers would never allow their children to experience an adventure like this because they would consider it to be too dangerous. In Beth's brief appearances in this book it becomes clear that she has the wisdom to see that it is equally or more dangerous to raise her children "safely" indoors tucked behind a big screen television playing mind numbing video games. In allowing her two young sons to set off on this trip with their dad, she gave them the opportunity to build a series of memories that will stay with them for a lifetime.

While Joe and his sons were building their memories, Joe was experiencing memories of his father while saying goodbye to him in a special way. He shared this experience with us in a warm and poignant manner that enhanced my respect for him.

When Joe and his sons reached the Atlantic I felt happy for them but disappointed to see the book come to an end.

Canon Powershot A610 5MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (OLD MODEL)
Canon Powershot A610 5MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (OLD MODEL)
13 used & new from $29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs down, May 1, 2006
This camera stopped working after using it three times. It was not dropped or abused in any way, it just lost the ability to detect that a memory card was in the camera. This was not a formatting issue and a local specialty shop that I do business with for film processing and other matters, examined the camera and confirmed that it needs to be replaced or repaired by the manufacturer.

Worse still when I tried to get some service from Amazon.com I was greeted by an employee in India whose english language skills were not adequate for me to communicate my problem.

I tried to get some service from Amazon's vendor/partner (Adorama), but I have been unable to reach them by phone and they have not responded to my emails despite their claim to respond to all email messages within 24 hours.

This is the last order I will place with Amazon, the last time I will do business with Adorama, Amazon's vendor/partner, and the last cannon camera that I will purchase.

It will be interesting to see if this email is posted.