Profile for Nicholas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicholas RSS Feed (SEATTLE, WA, United States)

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles)
by Kevin Hearne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
106 used & new from $0.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Target audience? Not for me at least..., September 22, 2011
If nothing else, this was a creative story - I've never run into celtic lore in the fantasy genre before, let alone set in modern day... so that was a plus.

On the other hand, while the story was creative, I found myself a little bored. If I had read this book when I was 13, I'd be chomping at the bit to get into the next novel. Unfortunately I'm not, and I found the story and characters a little too twilight-esque - for a protaganist who is two millenia old, I just kept expecting him to behave like he had a little more baggage. Instead he behaves more like a happy-go-lucky, know-it-all eighteen year old. There's no sacrafice for the good guys, and the the bad guys lose - utterly. Maybe I've just grown to enjoy darker novels, but I just found this a little too nice and neat. The characters and the author will tell you otherwise, but it's not what came through to me and even though the author uses some adult contexts, they're adult in the way that a horny thirteen year-old boy might imagine.

I'm slightly surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reviews, but despite my comment about the novel being twilight-esque, I need to keep in mind that slot of people really enjoy those books. So, with that in mind, if you're looking for Twilight, minus the teenage love story, this novel is for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS
Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS
Offered by Finity India- Now Offering Free Shipping
Price: $59.50
27 used & new from $42.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound like a great idea right? ...., June 27, 2011
I don't normally write reviews, but in this case, I feel it's important to add to the negative voice on this hard drive so that the same mistake isn't made again and again. As is probably the case with most, this hard drive sounds great in theory - get the speed of a ssd, with the size of a traditional hd. Unfortunately it seems, as many others including myself have found the hard way, that seagate doesn't have the kinks worked out of this system yet. I switched to this hd after my previous one failed, and at first, I was nothing but pleased with it. Then about a month or so down the line my computer started seizing up doing anything from typing to running any other application - to the point of becoming unusable. I was sure that I had a virus, then a driver issue, etc, but after running every diagnostic I could think, reformatting my hd and reinstalling windows, all of which produced absolutely no result, I came across a forum detailing the exact same problem occurring with many other people after having switched to this drive. Sure enough, switched back to a traditional drive, and my computer is finally up and running like I had come to expect. Expensive lesson. I don't know what it is that causes the issue to crop up generally about a month or two later, but I am not the only one.

Considering the number of positive reviews, I don't know whether or not myself and a few others are just in the minority, and something rare factor about our setups causes this drive to malfunction, but there is enough of a negative response that would suggest you be wary when buying this drive. Honestly, the benefit of a ssd buffer was really nothing spectacular - sounds great, and yes people have run some benchmarks, etc. But realistically, you're probably not going to notice the difference between this and a traditional 7200 rpm notebook drive. And if in a month or so, you notice your computer start seizing up at odd times (and you will definitely notice this difference), then you may end up like me.... out 150 bucks and right back where you started.

I guess I should mention that I use HP Envy 14, with 8gb of RAM, running 64-bit windows 7 - in case you believe this may be condition specific and have a similar setup.