Profile for G. Simpson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Simpson "Gloria" RSS Feed (Columbia, Md United States)

Page: 1 | 2
At Some Disputed Barricade: A Novel (World War I)
At Some Disputed Barricade: A Novel (World War I)
by Anne Perry
125 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyality, Meaning, and conflict in WW I, October 1, 2007
In this beautfully developed narrative, the characters come alive as they deal with real conflicts, internal, spiritual, and physical. Can a chaplain fire a weapon to save his life, or the lives of others? Should one obey orders if it means certain death and destruction to your men? Do you owe more loyality to your family, your war comrades than you do to the finite rules of the military? The struggles of the characters are vivid and the war becomes a reality as you read. It leaves you with the question, at least it did me, with "what really makes a man? or a woman?" What really defines you? What is worth living or dying for?

A very moving and relavant story for all times.

Thirteen Moons: A Novel
Thirteen Moons: A Novel
by Charles Frazier
Price: $12.50
449 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and flat characters, September 24, 2007
I started this book because our book group is reading it. The character is flat and self-absorbed. You get to the point that you don't care what happens to the character because he is so dull. I don't finish it because there was nothing of interest to keep me going.......You feel nothing for the characters... so why read?

The Known World: A Novel
The Known World: A Novel
by Edward P. Jones
Price: $13.18
1115 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A different view of history, January 10, 2007
The author offers a colorful tapestry of southern life during the 1840's, white and blacks who own slaves and free educated blacks. He depicts the horrors of the slave system by its impact on people. The characters weave in and out of time and space as background and present are often confused. At times, I was confused. Where are we now? However, it's beautifully written, and the language flows naturally, even if it becomes difficult to follow the story.

The Healer's Heart
The Healer's Heart
by Diane M. Komp
Price: $12.59
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and inspirational, January 8, 2007
This review is from: The Healer's Heart (Paperback)
The characters in this book keep your attention as I was never sure exactly what they were going to do. At the same time, they seemed real enough that I could picture them in their settings, or I would know them if they walked into a room. I found the story, or stories, as several things seemed to be happening, original and fresh. Yet, they were things that are real in our world and need to be told. I read this book in two days. I recommend it.

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven: A Novel
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven: A Novel
by Fannie Flagg
355 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Plotless and boring, October 3, 2006
In reading this book, I kept waiting for the action to start. The characters are very simplistic and not very realistic. The main character asks all kinds of questions and steps in and saves or helps everyone. She's the perfect Aunt or Grandma figure who saves people just by showing an interest or a little love. What a shame life doesn't work that way. Just heal mental illness by giving someone a kitten. Give me a break!! I couldn't finish this book. It was just too nothing....

Sarah:  Her Story; The Life Story of Sarah Parker Rice Goodwin, Wife of Ichabod Goodwin, New Hampshire's Civil War Governor
Sarah: Her Story; The Life Story of Sarah Parker Rice Goodwin, Wife of Ichabod Goodwin, New Hampshire's Civil War Governor
by Margaret Whyte Kelly
40 used & new from $5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah in her own words, September 22, 2006
Sarah Parker Rice Goodwin began writing her memiors when she turned 70 years old. This book sticks to Sarah telling things in her own words, or those of others of her time to describe life, it's issues, and life style during the period from about 1820- until close to her death in 1896. Ms. Kelly provides the background about other characters, traditions and practices of the time for clarification. The research is very detailed and thorough. It gives a good picture of life during that time period and the impact of events, such as the civil war on New England families. Sarah was an accomplished, intelligent woman who could hold her own with the leaders of her day. Her story provides insight and life to her time period.

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
by Jim Fergus
Price: $8.46
820 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic protrayal of American Indian Life, February 21, 2006
This story was too far fetched to be believeable, and the character May Dodd was too full of herself to arouse sympathy. Most disturbing was the unrealistic protrayal of life in the West. It was not all freedom, nature, and wild beauty. The Indians suffered from disease, poor sanitation, insects crawling over everything, and had very short average life spans. Life on the plains was hard. A forty year old Indian would not look younger than his age, as the chief was described here, but would be missing most of his teeth, and be weathered from outdoor life. The ending at least is realistic, but sad.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
Price: $23.27
149 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Let Claire and Jamie have some rest........ .., January 20, 2006
What a talented writer! Gabaldon's descriptions of life in colonial times are not only believeable, they put you there. I can visualize the trails leading to the wiskey still, Jamie's study, Claire's surgery! I am there.

The character of Roger develops beautifully in this book as he decides to pursue the ministry and endeavors to help others. Jamie comes not only to appreciate Roger, but to respect him. The community turn to Roger for help and advice. Roger, my favorite character, is strong, intelligent, and yet open to learning.

The humor is great. I laughed so hard at the funeral Roger is conducting for the old lady,I scared my cat! I can picture Jamie trying to maintain his demeanor and not detract from Roger's first Sunday service when the snake sticks his head out of his shirt!

Jamie and Claire are growing old and their lives should slow down. For me there was too much action. It seemed forced and overdone. Why kidnap and rape an almost 60 year old woman, Claire? Let's let them enjoy their older years with some peace and quiet!! To loose your grandchildren is just awful. I found myself crying at the end of this book and angry at anyone who would hurt them. They have become my friends and I want to protect them! Thank you Ms. Gabaldon for bringing them to life!

Drums of Autumn (Outlander)
Drums of Autumn (Outlander)
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.04
121 used & new from $1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Life continues in America- development of Roger & Brianna, January 13, 2006
In this continuation of the story of Jamie Fraser and his wife, part of the story shifts to the romance of their daughter Brianna. Brianna not only looks like her father, but is also strong willed and determined, but so is Roger who loves her and follows her back in time to the 18th century colony of North Carolina. Jamie shows his flaws by his constant jumping to the wrong conclusions, violence, and mistreatment of Roger. Roger suffers not only at the hands of Jamie, but also at the hands of the Indians that Jamie sells him to. Roger stays with Brianna despite the violent arrogance of her father, Jamie, which would have discouraged most people! I also found Claire to be disappointing in this book, as she doesn't try to curb Jamie's violence and his mistreatment of Roger. I found myself angry at Jamie and unable to undertand how Claire could not stand up to him.

This book keeps your attention to the end, and I enjoyed every minute despite the disppointments I had with the characters of Jamie and Claire. It points to the fact that all people have weaknesses, and sooner or later Jamie & Claire's were bound to erupt.

Voyager (Outlander)
Voyager (Outlander)
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.04
116 used & new from $1.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Relationship development., adventure..., January 3, 2006
I started backwards in reading this series of novels. I read The Fiery Cross first which depicts a middle-aged couple who really understand, respect each other, and love each other deeply. With the completion of this book, I have now read the first three.

One of things I am enjoying in this book is seeing the relationship between Jamie & Claire grow. They are learning to understand each other. He now accpets that she was "born to be a healer" and must go and help the injured and sick. By the end of this volume, he no longer fights her on it. She also must learn to accept that he had a life without her for 20 years and fathered another child. She learns to trust his word which she didn't earlier in the book when she discovers he had been married to someone else.

I also enjoy the discussion of courage. Heros do exist in the world. Recently, we lost a family member who many times risked his life under fire to save others. Some of us do go through not just disappointments and hardships, but difficult losses. The book reflects what is often true, its family and loyal friends that really count. The kind of loyalty that soldiers understand.

Yes, it is adventure, sometimes a little contrived. Sometimes, I wanted them to slow down a little just so I could stop reading and take a break!! But it is fun, and reflects some basic truths about life.

Page: 1 | 2