Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for VIPUL D KAPADIA > Reviews

Browse

VIPUL D KAPADIA's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

VIPUL D KAPADIA RSS Feed

Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Price: $216.95
91 used & new from $167.97

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lens!, March 8, 2012
What was in my kit before buying this lens? Nikon D7000, 18-200 VR II lens with 77mm Hoya UV filter and an SB-700 Speedlight.

After reading all the reviews about this lens here and at various sites, I decided to take a plung into this lens. Once I made up my mind, I had to wait for a long time as none of the stores - online or local, carried this little gem due to flooding issues on their manufacturing sites. In those two months, I decided to check out 35mm 1.8g. Although it suits better to my cropped factor sensor, I did not like it. There was way too much chromatic aberration to deal with and exchanging the lens for a different one did not help. I returned it and was tempted to get 40mm 2.8g macro because it was somewhere in-between these two lenses and had pretty decent reviews. One day, I decided to call our local shop Tempe Camera (in Arizona) and the guy who took my phone told me if I can stay on the line for some time while he can go check a package that had just arrived. Long story short, yes they got this in shipment and I had to tell to put this on hold. The very next minute, I was on my way to pick-up the lens.

I have been using this for 3 weeks now and here's my finding. This lens is the best lens I ever owned. It's super sharp and super-fast. Yes, it feels a little tight indoors but I have learned to adjust and step back. I would rather adjust my position to get the subject fit in my lens than trade this for a different lens. The bokeh at f/1.8 is fantastic. The sharpness reaches its best at f/4 and at that point, if you crop and look at the details, you will be surprised how sharp the lens is. It's not a macro lens but it works great. It stays on my camera most of the time and I have started hanging on to my camera even more as it feels super light around my neck. I have B+W 58mm UV on this and always keep the hood on (it came with it). It's an almost perfect portrait lens on a DX sensor (gives us ~75mm focal length). I am using this extensively to take pictures of plans, flowers, etc. as well. Oh, there's more. I almost never see any chromatic aberration or distortion. If you look at MFT charts, on a DX sensor, this lens generates super sharp images as it uses in inner center area of the lens. I know it's hard to explain this way but read-up why prime FX lens would make a great choice on a DX sensor.

At $219, this lens is a steal and if you have been confused over whether or not you should buy this, go get it! You won't be disappointed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2012 8:16 AM PDT

Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Auto Focus-S Nikkor Zoom Lens (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Radio Electronics USA
Price: $363.00
120 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars All good things come in small packages! How true for Nikon D3100!, September 23, 2010
Hurray! The long wait is over! Nikon had us wait for such a long time for its newer models (D3100 and D7000) and it was just when we started thinking if Nikon will ever have an answer, anytime soon, to Canon's T2i, 7D and 60D) they released these two wonderful cameras - D3100 and D7000. Let's focus on D3100, shall we?

So I finally had a chance to get hold of this D-SLR at Best Buy today. I am not a pro by any means but I have used many different D-SLRs including Canon (40D, T2i, XSi) and Nikon (D90, D5000). When I picked-up the camera for the first time, my initial reaction was, "whoa - this is so small and light weight"! It wasn't that I wasn't aware of the specs - I knew them beforehand but I was still blown away by how small and light it felt when I held it in my hands. Then, I thought, the grip would not be very comfortable but I was wrong as holding and operating the camera is just fine - thanks to Nikon's well-thought-out design and grip. For the size and feel, it's very similar to D3000 but has more goodies from the higher versions. So from an initial wow factor, I quickly moved on to focusing on features and capabilities.

I have just started using this camera so more update will follow but in the meantime my initial assessment of this camera is - I am impressed! It is one heck of a camera which can certainly compete against the best in its class (Canon T1i, T2i, Nikon D5000). Check out detailed reviews at dpreview (.com) and cameralabs (.com) - they should be added soon if not already there.

I love this camera because it:
+ has enough mega pixels for my needs (14.2).
+ captures crystal clear images (thanks to EXPEED2 processor & the CMOS sensor, the sensor is slightly smaller than the one used in D7000).
+ offers 1080p (HD) recording, AF subject tracking is awesome (10 min max is fine with me; it records outstanding videos even in low light and to me that's big).
+ offers ISO from 100-3200 (D90 starts at 200), it can go higher but I really don't think why I would need anything above that.
+ is small & light weight yet has good grip, easy to carry around in hands or neck.
+ supports SDXC cards on top of SD and SDHC - now that's nice.
+ (25-Sep-2010): has buttons that are well organized especially the video recording mode with a lever so you cannot mistakenly activate recording. That video recording lever once unlocked, gets locked in 30 seconds if you do not record and the countdown begins as soon as you unlock the lever. Also you can record video while you're in any dial (imaging) mode (Auto, P, A, S, M, and so on) where as in Canon T2i, etc. you have to move the camera dial to movie mode. So this is a great convenience - you can jump between taking pictures and recording videos with a simple unlocking of the lever. Additionally, you can be in a preferred dial (imaging) mode (Auto, P, A, S, M, and so on) and change the release mode to Single, Continuous, Self-timer or Quiet mode (this is located right underneath the main dial) - another great convenient feature.
+ (04-Oct-2010): In-body photo and movie retouch menu. This is great as we don't need any special software to apply certain touches. I love it.

Could have been even better if:
- it had the bracketing option (not too much to expect at this price point level but oh well I don't use that much but for some people this could be a big plus).
- grid lines were available (I miss them in both in live view and in the view finder).
- Active D Lighting was not limited to just ON or OFF (either you have it or not at all, instead of low, medium, high, etc.). Don't get me wrong the ON just worked fine (better than Canon T2i) but I can't compare with all other modes.

Recommendations (optional accessories):
* In my personal order of importance - your preference may differ. *
1. Nikon UC-E4 USB Cable - not included. (~$6)
2. UV filter - a must for protecting your lens against accidental damage. (~10$)
3. Carrying case is a must to protect your investment. There are many cases to choose from and it's up to you to decide but I suggest getting something like Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (all weather proof carrying case) so if it rains, you can pull out the weather guard and cover it up. ($90)
4. Additional rechargeable Lithium Ion EN-EL14 battery so you never run out the juice when you're traveling and do not want to miss capturing a moment for good. (~$35)
5. SB-600 Speedlight. Those who have used speed lights would know what difference it can make to an image with adjustments you can make to light for an image. (~$225)
6. 18-55 VR lens has its limitations so if you have extra $$$s, buy body only (if that even is an option) and get yourself a 18-105 VR lens. But at that point, you may want to consider D90 which still is a good camera and offers many more controls. (~$325 to $350)

Overall:
I give this camera 5 Stars because it takes excellent pictures in almost all conditions (bright or low-light) and that is exactly what I wanted this camera to do for me. Period.

I must commend Nikon for not getting into the mega pixel race (read marketing). They instead kept the photographer in mind and focused on delivering greater picture quality. Kudos to Nikon for having that courage.
Comment Comments (49) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2014 10:37 PM PST