Profile for K. Walters > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Walters "Lover of fitness, politics, reading and dogs" RSS Feed (Washington, DC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Brand New!! Extra Large Exercise Mat 8' x 6' (96"x 72"). NEW MATERIAL-Thicker & Odorless. Provides Excellent Floor & Carpet Protection. Large Fitness Mat For Home Gyms Or Living Room Workouts. Ideal for Cardiovascular Fitness Exercise DVD Programs. Dampens Noise and Cushions Joints. Backed by a LIFETIME Warranty. Square36 Black Label Extra Large Exercise Mat.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... carpet and provide extra padding for high impact workouts like T-25 and P90X3, December 3, 2014
I have been searching for some sort of matting to put on the floor of our little workout room to protect the carpet and provide extra padding for high impact workouts like T-25 and P90X3. As someone who has suffered 2 knee injuries and a stress fracture in my foot, I know the importance of protecting the joints - particularly as I progress into my 40s. I looked at various options - mostly "puzzle piece" flooring - and they were more expensive and more complicated. This mat seemed to be the perfect size for the area I would need to jump around and the price was reasonable - plus it came with Prime shipping. The product arrived quickly and well packaged and was exactly as I had hoped - perfect for what I needed. I know reviews of other versions by this company complained of the mats having a nasty smell that lingered, which is why I chose this option, which was advertised as not having a scent. The advertisement was accurate - I didn't smell a thing from the moment I opened the packaging. Highly recommend this option for someone looking for a good cardio mat (it is not grippy on top so don't use this for yoga - there is a specific mat by this company for that). 5 stars.

Happy Herbivore Holidays & Gatherings: Easy Plant-Based Recipes for Your Healthiest Celebrations and Special Occasions (Happy Hervibore)
by Lindsay S. Nixon
Price: $15.21
81 used & new from $9.58

5.0 out of 5 stars and this book does not disappoint. I did a trial run of my entire ..., November 20, 2014
I am always excited to try new takes on healthy, plant-based holiday fare, and this book does not disappoint. I did a trial run of my entire Thanksgiving meal using only recipes from Holidays & Gatherings, and it was incredibly yummy and much less labor intensive than other multi-course holiday meals I have made. The author has a knack for taking traditional, comfort-food recipes and turning them into tasty, plant-based versions that are relatively simple to make. She also doesn't use fake meats and other strange, vegan mock-foods, which are not health foods, and avoids exotic ingredients that you have to spend a ton of money on at speciality grocery stores only to "wear" once like a bridesmaid's dress. The pictures in the book are gorgeous, and there are great tips throughout, such as how to make "Mashed Potatoes A Dozen Ways." I look forward to turning to this book over the next year for each special day since the book includes recipes and meal suggestions for a number of holidays and other occasions (e.g., tailgating, gatherings with kids, breakfast in bed). Ms. Nixon is quite a prolific cookbook author, and I hope she keeps writing, because her most recent book is my favorite so far. 5 stars.

Get with the Program
Get with the Program
by Experts The Nation's Leading
Price: $14.32
33 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to book for scientifically-supported, effective nutrition and workout tips..., April 16, 2014
This review is from: Get with the Program (Hardcover)
I am a fitness and nutrition enthusiast with a large library of volumes on the subject areas. This little book is one that I find myself going back to more than others for sound advice on how to build simple nutrition habits and follow simple exercise routines to achieve my health and weight loss goals. If you're familiar with Rachel and Alwyn Cosgrove (of New Rules of Lifting fame), who are well-respected leaders in the fitness industry, this book is largely based on their philosophy, although it is populated with short articles on various nutrition and fitness topics by a range of fitness experts. That means lots of examples of workouts that include dynamic warm-ups focusing on mobility and ROM (range of motion) exercises, strength moves, metabolic conditioning and "finishers," i.e., brief period of HIIT cardio at the end of your strength workout to increase your metabolism and your fat burn. I particularly found the chapter by Brian Bott on Executive Fitness useful to help me design a workout program for my busy life, as well as the next chapter on Training Women Who Are Under Extreme Stress. These chapters remind you that simplicity is key when you're scheduled is packed, and they give you ideas of simple nutrition and fitness plans to follow to get maximum results in minimum time.

Overall, this is an excellent, informative guide for fitness professionals OR for fitness enthusiasts who want to learn a bit more about designing their own workouts. The book is small but powerful, and the short articles are in bite-sized chunks, which makes it an easy and enjoyable read. 5 stars!

The One One One Diet: The Simple 1:1:1 Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
by Eve Adamson
Price: $23.10
133 used & new from $2.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "diet" book I've read in years - perhaps in forever!, December 31, 2013
It is rare that I am wowed by a new diet or fitness book these days. As a long-time fitness enthusiast, Boston marathoner, certified sports and exercise nutritionist, and certified Food for Life cooking instructor, I am a prolific reader of all things health, wellness, diet, nutrition, and exercise, and most books in this genre seem to have one (or more) of the following problems: (1) they are based on the flavor of the day and not on trusted science; (2) they represent short-term band-aids to lifelong issues - "get your best body in 90 (or 30, or 60) days"; (3) they focus on one aspect of a healthy lifestyle (such as diet or exercise or diet and exercise but not your mind and emotions); and/or (4) they do not provide a practical guide for healthy living that can be incorporated into your own lifestyle and adapted to your own preferences. The One One One Diet (although the name makes it sound like another trendy diet fad) miraculously avoids these common diet book pitfalls, and I give it 5 glowing stars for its nutritional soundness, simplicity, and lifestyle friendliness.

The basis of the diet - which is actually tauted as a lifelong nutrition plan and not a short-term diet - is that you eat frequently throughout the day (3 meals, 2 snacks) to keep your blood sugar stable and your hunger at bay. Each meal should be balanced with a serving each of protein, carbs, and fats. Nonstarchy veggies are "free" foods that can bulk up any meal in terms of volume and nutrients. Snacks have the same calculus except that meat and grain servings (if any) served as snacks should be cut in 1/2. And that's it. No macronutrients are off limits. No food is a no-no. You can drink wine. Or eat chocolate. But in moderation and in balance. There are no complicated meal plans (although the book does include some great meal ideas and tasty recipes). If you follow the Paleo diet, you can use 1:1:1. If you are vegetarian (or vegan), you can use 1:1:1. If you are lactose (or gluten, or peanut, or soy) intolerant, you can use 1:1:1. It is clear from the content of this book that the author, Rania Batayneh, who is a nutritionist with a Masters in Public Health, knows her nutrition science and perhaps more importantly, knows how to apply that science to make it work for each person's unique personality and lifestyle.

To provide a holistic view of weight loss and healthy living, The One One One Diet also addresses how to incorporate a balanced exercise plan into your lifestyle (i.e., cardio, strength and flexibility), and suggests multiple options depending upon your schedule and preferences. The book also discusses handling stress and emotional eating, two common triggers for falling off the diet and fitness wagon, and provides ideas for how to incorporate 1:1:1 when eating out at various types of restaurants. There are many testimonials from her clients throughout the book, and they seem genuine (and realistic - we're not talking losing 50 pounds in one month; we're talking about sustainable and healthy weight loss and long-term weight maintenance). I have hundreds of diet books in my library, and if I had to recommend only one to someone, it would be this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2014 4:54 AM PST

ZCUT Zropes Premium Jump Rope Combo w/ 6 Workouts by Zuzka Light
ZCUT Zropes Premium Jump Rope Combo w/ 6 Workouts by Zuzka Light
Offered by Watch It Now Entertainment
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jump Rope I've Ever Used - Makes Jumping A Breeze, August 8, 2013
Over the years, I have collected a number of jump ropes that I received with workout programs I've ordered (e.g., Beachbody's Insanity Asylum), as freebies, or that I have purchased separately. I never got into jump roping, however, and after using the red Zropes, I realize it might have had more to do with the poor quality of rope I was using before and not me! This set comes with 2 ropes - a red "speed" rope and a heavier weighted rope. Along with the ropes you receive a series of suggested "Zrope" workouts from Zuzka Light, who is a Youtube fitness sensation. You also get a free, 5-day "pass" to Zuzka's new online ZGym, where she posts more Zrope workouts as well as other really tough workouts you can do at home in minimal time.

I decided to substitute the enclosed "Beginner" jump roping workout for my normal Thursday tempo run this morning, and wow, it was amazing. Interspersed between a series of basic jumps (with both feet) were a number of other cardio burners such as burpees and mountain climbers, and after 3 rounds in just over 18 minutes, I was exhausted!

The jump rope itself (the red speed rope) made jumping a pleasure. I have never used a jump rope with a steel cable, and it really helps with the flow of the rope while you're jumping. Additionally, the handles are wrapped in the same sort of wrap that I used to use for my tennis racket handle, and it makes them easy to grip (especially when you're sweating as much as I was this morning), and very comfortable. The workout itself was great, and so the addition of these "flyers" in the package was a nice plus. I couldn't recommend this set any higher, and I definitely plan on using the ropes and workouts to incorporate this amazing exercise into my regular workout routine.

As a side note, this vendor is excellent. I ordered the ropes on Monday, and they arrived at my door on Wednesday. I ordered Zuzka's DVDs from Amazon through the same vendor a few weeks ago with the same quick service. 5 stars for a great product and a great company!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 11:29 AM PST

Zcut Power Strength Series 3 DVD Set
Zcut Power Strength Series 3 DVD Set
DVD ~ Zuzka Light
2 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best deal in my extensive fitness video library..., July 29, 2013
I am an advanced exerciser, with 100s of fitness videos to my name, and I honestly think that Zuzka's ZCut Power Strength and Power Cardio DVD Series provide more bang for the buck than any other videos in my extensive collection. Unlike many followers of this Youtube sensation, I am new to the Zuzka Light bandwagon, having never known her in her Bodyrock.tv days. For those who were also asleep under the same rock I was napping under, Zuzka is of Czech heritage and is a former "adult movie" actress turned online fitness trainer sensation (I think she has more followers on her Youtube channel than any other fitness expert), and she definitely knows her stuff. Her workouts are brief but powerful - metabolic conditioning reminiscent of Crossfit (minus the Olympic lifting and gymnastics moves), and they provide an incredible burn in just 23-20 minutes per workout. Zuzka is not only beautiful, but she has a great personality and is motivating without being annoying (which in itself is annoying since she is also so beautiful...). The videos are high-quality - Zuzka uses the same company Bob Harper uses for his knew The Skinny Rules videos, which explains why the workout calendars and DVD covers for these programs look so similar. That being said, Zuzka's workouts are hands down better than Bob's in terms of the variety and intensity, and she explains and demonstrates the moves much better than he does as well. If you want a workout that gives you an incredible cardio and strength burn in a short period of time, order this now - at just under $16 for 13 workouts and a warm-up and cool-down, I haven't come across a better value. While you're at it, order her Cardio Series as well, which is equally as impressive (and also just under $16). And if you cannot get enough of Zuzka after doing these workouts, go to her Youtube channel where she has more than 70 free ZWOW workouts (i.e., Zuzka's Workout of the Week). That should keep you busy for a while! 5 stars for someone I predict will go far in the fitness industry!

Flat Belly Diet!
Flat Belly Diet!
by Liz Vaccariello
Price: $13.34
87 used & new from $0.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid diet that focuses on both weight and health..., December 20, 2012
This review is from: Flat Belly Diet! (Paperback)
If PhDs were handed out purely on how many books and magazine articles and web sites and newsletters you read on a particular subject, I would have a few PhDs in the field of nutrition. Which is a fancy way of saying I've read a large portion of the diet, weight loss, nutrition and exercise books that have come out over the past decade or more and have done significant research on their assertions. And while there is some controversy around this next statement, I believe the majority of the research suggests that while the reality of "calories-in versus calories-out" plays a critical role in weight loss and maintenance (and for those who need it, weight gain), our bodies are more complex than just numbers, and other factors come to play, such as the types of foods that are supplying your units of energy and the timing of your meals. Enter the Flat Belly Diet. This book outlines a diet based on reasonable calorie restriction (basically a 1200-1600-calorie diet for women and a 1600-2000-calorie for men), that focuses on incorporating healthy whole foods into your daily menu, such as whole grains and lean protein, and the beloved "MUFAs" - monounsaturated fatty acids (think healthy plant-based fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, and even dark chocolate!). The diet includes a 4-day quick start program ("anti-bloat menu") as well as a 28-day menu plan that generally provides for four, 400 calorie meals each day, to be eaten every 3-4 hours. Also included in the book are a number of recipes that are very tasty and not too difficult or time-consuming, along with a slew of very useful fast, quick-cook or no-cook meal ideas and tips for eating out. And while the success of this diet plan is not dependent upon whether or not you exercise, there is also a nice section that outlines a very doable exercise plan if you choose to up your game and burn fat and calories faster (which I'd highly recommend for your health in general). Overall, I think this is one of the better diet books out there, giving you a scientific-based plan for losing weight in a healthy way and providing helpful tips to make it fit into your life, regardless of how hectic it might be. 4+ stars for a worthy addition to your library. And if you enjoy this book, consider investing in the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook, the Flat Belly Diet Family Cookbook, the Flat Belly Diet Pocket Guide, the 400 Calorie Fix, and the 400 Calorie Fix Cookbook. All of these books are written by the same author - formerly the editor of Prevention magazine and currently the editor of Reader's Digest - and they all contain great recipes (including many "quick cook") and meal suggestions for 400-calorie meals.

The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook: 125+ Delectable Plant-Based Vegan Recipes for a Fit, Happy, Healthy You
by Melissa Costello
Price: $15.60
48 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook collector now has a new favorite on her go-to shelf!, October 3, 2012
If you glance at my list of my reviews, you'll quickly realize that I have a cookbook "problem." I own hundreds of cookbooks and love experimenting with new recipes and, in particular, healthy cuisine. I first learned about the author Melissa Costello from my friend Tony Horton, who also is the creator of the wildly popular P90X. Melissa is Tony's personal chef, and I tried some of the recipes she created for his newest program P90X2 and was really impressed, so when I heard she was going to come out with a cookbook, I pre-ordered it on Amazon so I could check it out. And wow - the cookbook TOTALLY blew away my expectations, which is hard to do when you're someone who thinks you've seen it all when it comes to vegetarian recipes. How truly exciting it is to have in a single book healthy recipes for all of my comfort-food favorites, rather than scattered throughout multiple cookbooks that I have to juggle when making my weekly meal plan. Have a hankering for a plant-based version of, say, shepherd's pie? It's in there. Spaghetti and "meat"balls? It's in there. Pad Thai? It's in there. "Tuna" (a.k.a. chickpea) salad? Yep, there. Mac and "cheese" - in there, too. It is as if Melissa asked me for a list of all of my favorite comfort meals, and then turned them into healthy vegan recipes and put them in one book. And they taste incredible and even pass the test of a skeptical omnivore - my boyfriend actually called me yesterday to tell me that he absolutely loved the lunch I made (and he has not yet crossed over 100% to the vegetarian way of life). So, if you are vegetarian or vegan, you will love this cookbook. If you are not, you will love this cookbook. Run, don't walk to order it. It now sits in my go-to cookbook shelf (when you have as many cookbooks as I do, you need one of these), next to my beloved cookbooks from Tess Challis, and will become an everyday staple in my cooking repetoire. 5 stars!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 7:05 PM PDT

The Great Fitness Experiment: One Year of Trying Everything
The Great Fitness Experiment: One Year of Trying Everything
by Charlotte Hilton Andersen
Price: $10.79
76 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the concept, not necessarily the execution..., September 13, 2012
As someone who has pursued a number of health and fitness "experiments" myself and as a fitness junkie, I was drawn to this book when it popped up in one of my Amazon searches. The idea of sharing your experiences with various fitness methods and diets and writing about the results is something I think more people should do, because it would help many of us make better selections from the plethora of options and save a lot of money (and maybe pain and injury) in the process.

That being said, my high hopes for this book were not met. While I found the author's writing engaging and entertaining (she has a wicked sense of self-deprecating humor), I could not take most of her reviews seriously because she did not follow the various fitness and/or diet programs as they were designed, and she did a lot of guessing and modifications when planning each experiment. Ms. Hilton Andersen is a self-professed cheapskate, and instead of buying relevant books or programs for many of the experiments, she often cut-and-pasted what she could find for free on the Internet to design her own program based on the philosophy of the original one. For example, during her Celebrity Workout experiment, the author loosely followed the Tracy Anderson Method, but since she didn't want to purchase the program, she found some exercises from Tracy Anderson on the web site and combined them with exercises from the Lotte Berk method, and then devised her own workout. And, all the while, she continued on with her Turbokick classes to substitute for Tracy's prescribed dance workouts.

Additionally, the author's ongoing struggles with eating disorders and tendency to overexercise diminish the value of her experiments for readers and compromise the results and her reviews. By adding in extra workouts while doing certain programs (e.g., her own strength training routines when a program lacked weights, or her own cardio workouts when she desired to do additional cardio), it is hard to know to what we should attribute any positive (or negative) results of each experiment. Additionally, throughout a number of the experiments, Ms. Hilton Andersen experienced recurrences of her eating disorder, and sometimes it seems as if she was literally starving herself while working out like a maniac (in one chapter she even admits that she didn't know if seeing her ab muscles was the result of the workout program or the fact she was barely eating).

For those of us looking for useful views of various types of diets or fitness programs, this book will not necessarily be of much assistance. How do you know the ability of Valerie Waters' Action Hero Workout to transform your body when the author did not actually follow the Action Hero Workout plan and diet (she didn't want to purchase the book, so she just gleaned what she could from the trainer's free web site)? I would find it much more beneficial and informative to read the reviews of someone who followed a workout or diet as it was designed. And much healthier to read about the health and fitness lifestyle of someone who isn't - unfortunately - suffering for exercise and food disorders. I wish the author a full recovery - and rate the book 2 stars.

The Urban Rebounder
The Urban Rebounder
Offered by OJ Commerce
Price: $167.04

5.0 out of 5 stars This product saved my fitness (and sanity) after knee surgery..., July 29, 2012
This review is from: The Urban Rebounder (Misc.)
I am always amazed by reviewers - such as the previous reviewer - who feel compelled to write something under a product without actually having used it and without using their real name. I am a regular Amazon reviewer, and I take pride in the value of my reviews, and I have nothing but glowing positives to say about the Urban Rebounder. I am a marathoner, but after suffering from a meniscus injury earlier this year and undergoing surgery in late May, I have had difficulties getting back to pain-free running due to the high impact (my MRI also revealed that I had 2 types of tendonitis, so there is a lot going on in my little knee area!). I have tried multiple alternative workouts, but none provided me with the intensity I was used to and craved. Enter the Urban Rebounder. I purchased this item from Urbanrebounding.com (not Amazon), and along with the host of Urban Rebounding videos that I also purchased (including the URX-MT, 14-DVD program, which is incredible and as intense as it gets), I am no longer suffering from high-intensity exercise withdrawal! I love that the rebounder folds up for storage, but it is rather difficult to unfold yourself (you really need two people), so I keep it set up in my living room, and I find myself jumping on it just for fun while watching the Olympics - a few extra calories burned is a good thing! I do not have the money to get a treadmill (nor would my knee like it very much right now), but I can see how the Urban Rebounding company claims this is a treadmill replacement, because you can "run" on it impact-free while watching your favorite TV show or movie. I do not know how the product holds up over time (mine is relatively new), but it seems very sturdy and high-quality, and I am hoping to have it for a long time. 5, well-deserved stars for a great workout option to protect your joints and work your heart.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 11:58 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5