Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS
Profile for Jesi Lea Ryan > Reviews

Browse

Jesi Lea Ryan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 205

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jesi Lea Ryan "jesilea" RSS Feed (Madison, WI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Silver & Black
Silver & Black
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, November 25, 2015
This review is from: Silver & Black (Kindle Edition)
I generally hate the Billionaire/Average Joe trope, but I was sucked in by this gorgeous cover art. It just begs to be opened, doesn't it? But as far as the story goes, my thoughts are a bit mixed, so this review may be a little disjointed. I will attempt not to be spoilery.

First, I disliked the names. Hated them actually. Grey Black and Brian Silver. Three colors that add zero metaphoric value to the story. I mean, even Christian Gray has literary value in that the color gray was weaved through the book, and it was meant to contrast against the red room of pain. Yes, I did just give some (minor) literary kudos to Fifty Shades. Instead of cute, in this story, it was distracting. I kept mixing up Grey and Silver. Not cool.

Which brings mean to thought number two… this book is begging for the Fifty Shades comparisons. This is actually kind of unfortunate. First, this is a much better book. Brian Silver is delightful. The author plants some red herrings to make you doubt him, but while Christian Grey is a hot sociopath, Brian Silver is actually a good guy. I found him well-rounded and interesting. He has a unique health weakness that adds to the story. If you’re going to write a billionaire character, this is how it should be done. He’s not materialistic or possessive. He gives back to the community. Yes, he attempts to give “gifts” to Grey, but only because he cares for him, not because he embeds GPS tracking chips so he can follow Grey’s every move. And when Grey declines his favors and gifts, Brian says, “Okay, dude,” instead of getting all pouty and pushy about it. My only real criticism is that he didn’t fess up to Grey about how he knew him up front. I hate such blatant, artificial tension. Not to mention, I totally figured it out way early.

Grey Black (still a stupid name) is a better character than Ana Steele, but honestly, that isn’t a tremendous feat. He’s young, and comes across that way. His doubtfulness and questioning was marginally annoying, but, you know, he’s a kid. (Or at least a young whippersnapper compared to me.)

Most of the side characters were rather cardboard. Jeff was creepy, and I seriously questioned Grey’s judgement with him. I loved Levi, and (SPOILER ALERT) I wanted to puke when he ended up with Jeff at the end. Sorry, not buying it. Not at all. There is nothing in the entire book that even remotely leads up to this. I think the author was going for a twist, but it was a bad one. Who cares if creeper Jeff has a happy ending? I wanted Levi free to find his true love in the sequel. And doesn’t it seem like every gay man in the city all know each other?

So overall, I found this book to be a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. There were plenty of things I liked; although the book would have benefited immensely by distancing itself from Fifty Shades.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2015 3:43 PM PST

Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy
Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, September 13, 2015
When I saw the lineup of these authors, I wanted to squee with joy! The best of the best in M/M paranormal all in one collection. And let me tell you, they did not disappoint!

Let me start by saying, I’m not a short fiction reader. I don’t read short stories, and I rarely will read a novella. I like the room for character development found in big books. So if it weren’t for all of my favorite authors in one place, I probably would’ve skipped this collection.

But holy frijoles! I’m soooo glad I didn’t.

These authors are the best for a reason. They can pack a lot of punch in a short piece. It helped that several of the stories (Jordan Castillo Price, K.J. Charles, Andrea Speed) are from existing series that I am already a fan of. And – full disclosure – I received a free e-book in exchange for an honest review, but the first thing I did when I finished reading was to run to Amazon and buy the paperback for my collection. It is that freaking good!

DIM SUM ASYLUM by Rhys Ford – Great story to start the collection. It’s fast paced and set in a beautifully gritty Chinatown. While I love all of Rhys’s work, I can really see how she has grown as a writer in the last year or two. I really hope she does not with this world and the characters, because they are a delight. The scene on the rooftop was my favorite. 5 stars.

SWIFT AND THE BLACK DOG by Ginn Hale – I am a sucker for damaged men. Jack Swift is the poster boy for a broken hero. He is sort of at rock bottom, and doing his best to convince himself he is happy there, when he is reluctantly called upon to save the world for a second time. The way Ginn was able to weave in the back story with the present action was brilliantly done. 5 stars.

A QUEER TRADE by K.J. Charles – I’m on a massive K.J. Charles kick right now. This story is set in her Magpie universe, which I just binge read a couple of weeks ago. I found the historical profession of a paper trader fascinating. And the twist at the end was a treat. 5 stars.

MAGICALLY DELICIOUS by Nicole Kimberling – This story was hilarious! I loved the naughty Leprechauns on strike. The ending was slightly predictable, but a fun story. 4 ½ stars.

EVERYONE’S AFRAID OF CLOWNS by Jordan Castillo Price – My favorite PsyCops celebrating Halloween. What’s not to like? Of course, since Vic is involved we know things won’t go as planned. A detour into one of those cheesy haunted houses turns just plain creepy, and that was before the ghost clown shows up. *shiver* 5 stars.

THE THIRTEENTH HEX by Jordan L. Hawk – I’m not a fan of shifter stories, but this one isn’t quite in that category. Maybe if all shifters were as interesting and unique as this one, I might change my mind. Dominic and Rook are brilliant together. The way the magic system is set up here is really cool. These two character need their own series. 5 stars.

THE SOLDATI PRINCE by Charlie Cochet – I am generally turned off by fated mates stories, but this one was entertaining. Riley is a smart-ass and Khalon is a bit of a prick, but both manage to be likable. In typical Charlie fashion, there are some funny one-liners. And you know, Tigers. 4 stars.

ONE HEX TOO MANY by Lou Harper – I love cop stories, especially when they involve magic. The plot started with a body in a bathtub and unfolded into an intricate mystery. Mike Mulligan was great, but it was Leslie that stole every scene. What a delightful supporting character! There is a perfect balance between serious detective work and humor. 5 stars.

JOSH OF THE DAMNED VS. THE BATHROOM OF DOOM by Andrea Speed – This is Clerks meets The Walking Dead meets a Kohler commercial? I am a huge fan of Andrea’s Infected series, but this is my first introduction to Josh of the Damned. Hilarious! I am running out to buy the other books now. Many stories in this collection have an element of humor, but animated toilets with teeth? How does she think of this stuff? 5 stars.

THE TROUBLE WITH HEXES by Astrid Amara – This one for me was the most emotional of the collection. It is also the longest. Tim is dying of a hex, and the only person he can turn to is his ex-boyfriend, Vincent. These guys have so many unresolved issues, but if they can’t find a way to set those aside, Tim will run out of time. I loved the alternating POV here, because both men had valid sides of the story to tell. I loved this story because it leaves you with this amazing feeling that love will conquer all. 5 stars!

So overall, this collection is a must have for all readers of M/M. It is a jewel of the genre.

Jackpot (Channeling Morpheus 10.1)
Jackpot (Channeling Morpheus 10.1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, May 2, 2015
Wild Bill's back! So excited for the relaunch of this series and this new short. Without giving spoilers I'll just say these characters are beautifully developed and original. I loved getting an update on their lives.

Channeling Morpheus for Scary Mary Ebook Box Set (MM Paranormal Horror Romance)
Channeling Morpheus for Scary Mary Ebook Box Set (MM Paranormal Horror Romance)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, March 24, 2015
I love this series so much! Glad to see the author is releasing it it in a box set now. Here are my thoughts on the books in this set:

PAYBACK introduces us to Michael and the tragedy that started his mission to kill the monsters who hunt at night. I immediately liked him and felt for his loss. I've never met a vampire I didn't like, but Wild Bill has shot right up to one of my top favorites. In this book, the reader doesn't quite know what to make of Wild Bill. Is he an incredibly likable bad guy? Is he a good guy who is unfairly misunderstood? I think his ambiguity here makes him intriguing.

VERTIGO continues the story in Wild Bill's point of view. Michael's on the hunt again...this time he's looking for Wild Bill for a whole different reason. Bill should stay away from the homicidal vamp hunter, but the chemistry between them won't let him run away. I think my favorite thing about this book is seeing how these characters click into place with each other. The writing is fabulous and subtle. I didn't mention this in my review of the first book, but dang the sex in these books is hot! Keep a fire extinguisher handy as you read.

MANIKIN opens with possibly the most creepy scene I've ever read. I felt everything Michael was feeling as I read it. Beautifully horrific! What I liked most about this book is it is the first time I really feel Michael and Wild Bill are a team. A dysfunctional team, but a team none-the-less. I mean what's a vampire doing hanging out with a vampire hunter anyway unless they are both seriously twisted? Again, top notch writing.

TAINTED - Uh,oh....somethings wrong with Michael. Wild Bill sees the changes, and if it's what he's thinking, it isn't pretty. On a positive note, the guys are growing in their relationship. No, it isn't hearts and flowers, but what they have feels much more real than many love stories. Which leads to the question, is this book a romance? Not reeeeely. Well, sort of. Each book has a separate plot that is independent of the relationship, but without the relationship, I don't think the story really works as well. So we will call this a paranormal romance. As always, Wild Bill's point of view is a delight. But I applaud the author's choice to rotate POVs. Very smart decision.

REBIRTH - This while book revolves around family. Not every family is healthy, so it is sometimes necessary to create your own. I sometimes forget that Michael is still so young. He really could use supportive parents. But that's not going to happen, and while I'm sad for him, I'm happy he has Wild Bill.

Ruby (Jewel Series Book 1)
Ruby (Jewel Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, February 17, 2015
Ruby is a colorful girl looking to break out of her sheltered island upbringing and take the world by storm. The story is instantly relatable. (Love her French alter-ego!) No insta-love here. Ruby has too many choices, both in life and in love, and like many women her age, she will have to decide whether to follow her head or her heart. I was hooked from the first line, "The year I turned nineteen three men fell in love with me - something I was ill equipped to handle, as it turned out."

Anna Skye is a fresh voice in new adult fiction, and I can’t wait to see what she writes next!

Elixir (Channeling Morpheus 10)
Elixir (Channeling Morpheus 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile review, February 2, 2015
Normally, I write much longer reviews, but given there are ten books here, it's going to be short and sweet. This series is the perfect mixture of great characters and gritty action. I am dying for this series to be made into a TV show.

ELIXIR - I DON'T WANT IT TO END!!!!!!!!!!!! Really though, this book is the perfect ending to this series. It's full of action and suspense and emotion. It seriously kept me on the edge of my seat. I love that you can read these stories separately or all together like a novel. Seriously, everyone needs to read this series. Truly excellent!

Swarm (Channeling Morpheus 9)
Swarm (Channeling Morpheus 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, February 2, 2015

SWARM - The lines are really blurring now, and I think in this book we can really see how far Michael has come from book one. He needs to come to terms now with his blood lust and also his desire to kill "bad vamps". The character development here is wonderful.

Fluid (Channeling Morpheus 8)
Fluid (Channeling Morpheus 8)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars it's going to be short and sweet. This series is the perfect mixture of great ..., February 2, 2015

FLUID - Water Willies!!!!!! I don't know why I found this book hilarious, but seeing Wild Bill crippled by Lake Michigan was so funny.

Snare (Channeling Morpheus 7)
Snare (Channeling Morpheus 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Bibliophile Review, February 2, 2015

SNARE - We've met Dr. Jim is earlier books, but man this guy is creepy. I get why Michael wants to stay in contact with him. Jim is doing cutting edge research into vampirism and all that it entails. But I also see why Bill is leery of him. This book isn't as heavy as the last, and a welcome change. Though it keeps the dark grit that Jordan Castillo Price is so good at.

Brazen (Channeling Morpheus 6)
Brazen (Channeling Morpheus 6)
Price: $2.99

BRAZEN - I can't get enough of these stories! It is so easy for me to get lost in Michael & Wild Bill's world. This book is a little more serious that the others because it forces Bill to confront the things that make him uncomfortable about his past. They get into their first three-way since the whole Gray situation, but also the first since he fell in love with Michael. This puts Bill into an introspective mood. At first, you may assume Michael is the more emotional of the two men, but I'm thinking now that it is Bill. And I like seeing this side of him develop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20