Profile for M M Frank > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M M Frank "frequent reader" RSS Feed (North Carolina, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
GreatShield Ultra Smooth Clear Screen Protector Film for Amazon Kindle Fire (3 Pack)
Offered by GreatShield Store
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Size needs to be stated in description... does not fit all Fires., January 3, 2015
Too big for the Fire I have. Mine's an HD6 Kid's edition and this thing is too big. I've trimmed it down while ordering correct sized ones from another vendor.

A Hazardous Holiday (Nya-n-Fay; A Series about Little Kids and Big Government) (Volume 4)
by Nya
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Allegory and satire, August 22, 2014
This book is cute. It's a gentle satire, an allegory of what happens when government imposes too much regulation over one's life. The idea is that in the attempt to make events safe, you make them really boring and may inadvertently make them more hazardous than you intended. The author claims it's geared towards people aged 9-99, but I think the younger ones would need a lot of explanation. I feel it works better as an example of satire than as a straight example of government intrusiveness.
The author has written other books along this vein, and I haven't read any but I hope they're a bit clearer to purpose than this one.

ClinicalGuard Ovulation Test Strips, 50-count
ClinicalGuard Ovulation Test Strips, 50-count
Offered by ClinicalGuard
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but maybe not the best choice for newbies., July 17, 2014
These strips are a lot thinner than the other internet brand I've used in the past, maybe only 2 mm wide and 1mm thick, and are difficult to handle. They also don't look much like the diagram on the back of the package. I tested with one tonight, knowing that I'm on the verge of ovulation, and the strip gave a solid positive result. A second strip confirmed the first. I'll have to check again in a few days and see if the strip accurately registers a non-surge. **edit** A test two days later gave a negative result with only the slightest ghost of a test line and a solid control line. So, in my limited experience, they do give a clear result.

Bottom line: They work, but if you have dexterity issues or prefer strips that come with clear instructions, you might want to spend a few more dollars for another brand. If you're familiar with ovulation test strips, they'll fit the bill.

mCover Leather Folio Cover Case with built-in inner pocket for Amazon Kindle 4th Generation (Built-in Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, 5-way controller) - BLUE
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for price!, July 4, 2014
When faced with the decision of a $60 kindle with special offers and a $8 case or an $80 kindle with no special offers, the choice was clear. This case is a great shade of blue, looks like it cost more than $8 and protects the device nicely. It was a bit of an effort to get the kindle inside, but I hope that means it won't fall out. Very happy with this purchase.

Tweezerman  Stainless 2000 Styling Shears
Tweezerman Stainless 2000 Styling Shears
Offered by Express Health
Price: $32.69
10 used & new from $27.00

4.0 out of 5 stars They get the job done, April 14, 2014
While they cost a lot less than professional shears, and they don't cut quite as keenly as $200 scissors, they work really well for at-home trims. They close really evenly and don't miss any hairs, yet aren't so sharp that I'm worried about accidentally knicking a child's ear or gouging their eye. Nor have I ever accidentally cut my fingers while manipulating hair. I do have small hands, and I think they wouldn't be comfortable to hold if you have particularly fat fingers.

Finding the Awesome: 3 Steps to Doing More & Stressing Less
Finding the Awesome: 3 Steps to Doing More & Stressing Less
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here, April 2, 2014
This book is a disappointment. The author discovered over a three-month cross-country move that she doesn't need hundreds of outfits, piles of toys, or even a dog to make her happy, so once she arrived in her new environs, she got rid of two van loads of crap (but kept the dog, I hope). She also discovered that focusing on one task at a time is better than multitasking, and that belonging to too many groups is draining. Nothing here you can't find in Organized Simplicity (Tsh Oxenreider) or The Happiness Project (Gretchen Rubin), but with less overall structure and no lack of self-promotion. At least it was a quick (20-minute) read, and I didn't have to pay for the copy.

Let's Go to the Farm
Let's Go to the Farm
DVD ~ Mac Parker
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little film, November 5, 2013
This review is from: Let's Go to the Farm (DVD)
Great little film about life on a Vermont dairy farm, from cow care, to syrup harvesting, to logging, baling hay, and storing crops for winter. Sad to see that the producer/narrator of the film has been sentenced to five years in federal prison for involvement in a Ponzi scheme.

Economic Food Storage Strategies for Disaster Survival: Start Today and Have Enough Food Your Family Will Eat to Survive Any Disaster without Going Broke
Price: $3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good guide, July 4, 2013
I had never considered a pressure canner before finishing this book but now I have one on my list of items to buy. Author gives great information about buying/putting up food to have in the event of an emergency.
This book was a mishmash of British terms and links to American sources and websites, which irritated me just a bit ("torches," "expiry dates," and FEMA) but nothing that would keep me from recommending it.

The Steady Mom's Freedom Guide: Joyful Motherhood on Your Own Terms
The Steady Mom's Freedom Guide: Joyful Motherhood on Your Own Terms
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok book for ok times, June 30, 2013
This book is short. The author makes clear that it is in magazine-type format (ie, several short, standalone chapters) which makes it easy to read when faced with frequent interruptions. This was helpful. At the ends of some of the chapters she includes links to various blog posts or web resources to delve further into given topics. They were helpful but sort of annoying on Kindle browser or to type in the individual URLs (which luckily I did not have to do). I would suggest that Martin include the links on whatever blog post she has made about this book just for convenience sake, as they were all worthwhile reads. I especially liked the Jennifer Fulwiler essay about following the example of Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity and not overscheduling.

I like how she doesn't come across as judgmental, in stark contrast to 99% of other parenting/domesticity books I've read, and I don't feel like I wasted my time reading this book. I learned a few new tips on meal planning, time management, and giving myself some grace and space when I feel like I'm failing as a mother.

Dancing Challenge - Rhythm and beat game
Dancing Challenge - Rhythm and beat game
Offered by CPToys
Price: $27.99

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO LOUD, January 11, 2013
This toy has one volume setting... LOUD. I can't stand near it without cringing. It has a really limited range of annoying and insipid techno-ish music with sound effects to let you know when you make a mistake (boing!). It seems to work ok, and the kids (both under age 4) enjoy it, but it is easily 90-95 decibels. I'm not sure that it's very educational or conducive to physical movement either. They mainly just sit next to it and smack the numbers as they light up, kind of like an oversize and slow-tempoed whack-a-mole.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5