Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for susanjb > Reviews

Browse

susanjb's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"susanjb" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be, Second Edition
The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be, Second Edition
by Armin A. Brott
760 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, entertaining, informative, March 24, 2003
My husband and I have a pile of books on pregnancy. Most of the books written for women dwell on the many problems that can arise (both serious and mundane) during pregnancy. Dreary. Not a single one of the others contains word one about planning for college or any financial issue. In fact, one of my books advises me not to worry about finances because "that's the father's department." Pretty ridiculous since he will be staying at home and I (the mother) will be working full time.
This book, unlike those, does address this issue very competently. It is, I think, one of the best pregnancy books we have (i.e. I can't stand the supremely pedantic "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and think "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," while not pedantic, has no information the other does not.)
This book contains many useful facts for the father to be and is written in such a way as to be helpful to mother and father. My husband has absorbed more dos and don't during pregnancy from this one book than I have in reading 5 other books. It contains an excellent list of questions to ask your obstetrician. Things everyone needs to know but may never think to ask.
Bottom line - we love this book and would recommend it to anyone expecting a baby. It is easy reading while being informative and doesn't overdo the medical lingo (or the whole medical issue).

What to Expect When You're Expecting
What to Expect When You're Expecting
by Arlene Eisenberg
1287 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedantic - treats you like an idiot - guilts you to death, March 12, 2003
For some strange reason, this book has become "the book" for pregnant women to read. It is unfortunate, because it is *not* the best book out there by any means. In all likelihood, it's expectant mothers' penchant for feeling guity that drive sales of this one. The facts in it are fine for the most part and agree with other materials I have read. But the presentation . . .
If you have a (very common - 30% of women) problem like light spotting in the first trimester, do not expect any comfort - or even much information from this book on the troubling event.
If you enjoy learning about a very strict diet (called "Best odds") and reminded throughout the book of what a loser you are if you eat something that's 'not very best-odds,' you might enjoy this one. There is no question that nutrition is important during pregnancy. This book would have you believe, however, that eating *anything* that's not:
1. packed with vitamins and/or calcium and/or protein and
2. low fat
is more or less akin to a very grave sin (practically murder.) It is so pedantic!! Ice cream, for ex, craved by many pregnant women (though not me) is just "not very best odds." You can just hear the sneer when the authors say something they don't want you to eat "isn't very 'best odds' anyway."
Get off the high horse, authors. Most responsible pregnant women will try to eat healthy food and most will also indulge some of the cravings for foods that just aren't "best odds" according to you.
These authors will make you feel that eating anything they don't consider best-odds is harming your babies gravely, depriving them of the very source of life - blah blah blah.
Read here about your odds of having every weirdo and odd-ball pregnancy malady - that'll make you feel good - and about all your various odds of having deformed babies.
I hated this book and fail to understand its popularity but I gave it 2 stars because it is accurate, I think.

1000 Kisses
1000 Kisses
36 used & new from $3.37

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit of a Yawn, June 20, 2002
This review is from: 1000 Kisses (Audio CD)
I really liked PG's first two CDs. Comparatively, this one is a bit boring, however. It is mostly slow-paced music and most songs sound about the same. This was not true even on "Living with Ghosts" where the only accompaniment was an acoustic guitar. I saw Patty in concert promoting this disc which was where I formed my final opinion that it's just not as good as the other two. This disc doesn't have anything compelling on it like "Carry Me" or "Every Little Bit." On the up side, there are no real dud songs but there are no standouts either, in my opinion.

Evangeline Made: A Tribute To Cajun Music
Evangeline Made: A Tribute To Cajun Music
Price: $13.99
65 used & new from $1.85

2.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, May 7, 2002
I love Cajun music and many of the artists on here (Patty Griffin, Maria McKee and others). Still, I think this disc is rather a yawn. It's nearly all in French and most of the singers don't "do" French well. The music is not nearly as varied as Cajun music can be and tends to all run together. I have sold mine back.

The Tao of Abundance: Eight Ancient Principles for Abundant Living
The Tao of Abundance: Eight Ancient Principles for Abundant Living
by Laurence G. Boldt
Price: $18.76
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, May 7, 2002
... This book is awesome! I am on my second read. The more I study Eastern philosophy, the more it resonates with me. This is especially true of Taoism. When I first learned about it, it seemed like such an apathetic world-view -- stressing the importance of, basically, not caring. As I learn more, though, I think I got it wrong. Boldt presents topics in such a way that many are truly incredible insights into basic truth and the way the world works. Taoism has many *very* valuable teachings that most of us could benefit enormously from.

Daughter of Fortune: A Novel
Daughter of Fortune: A Novel
by Isabel Allende
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
162 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Scarcely better than a Danielle Steele novel, March 11, 2002
I had high hopes for this book. Other Oprah Picks that I have read have been good. This book -- taking place in both Chile (exotic to me) and California (always interesting) seemed promising. It is sort of a sappy love story, though. A book equivalent of the "chick flick" for sure (and I am a woman). I don't like to read books that are so clearly only appropriate for one gender. If you like "love stories" with little else to them, this will be a small step up from the usual drivel because Allende does write well. If you prefer books with any substance, however, steer clear of this one.

Cabo: La Paz to Cabo San Lucas (Moon Handbooks) (Cabo Handbook, 3rd ed)
Cabo: La Paz to Cabo San Lucas (Moon Handbooks) (Cabo Handbook, 3rd ed)
by Joe Cummings
29 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel book, February 25, 2002
I thought this book was highly accurate in its description of restaurants and hotels in the main places people visit in Baja California del Sur. It even has info on places you mainly just drive through from one larger place to another with information on the tiny town's history, places to eat there, etc. You can rely on the information in this book. I'd not hesitate to buy another travel book by this author.

Jackpot
Jackpot
Price: $9.99
30 used & new from $3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, Band are great, January 22, 2002
This review is from: Jackpot (Audio CD)
This is the Derailers' first disc and it epitomizes fun music. If you have ever seen the Derailers live, you know that they give 150% to every show and are consu
mately professional entertainers. If you like twangy, somewhat old-timey music that played by a tight band and sung with a lot of heart, then give this disc a whirl. Sunsequent albums are also good -- this is the least polished, rawest album by the Derailers. I think that some are out of touch with what the Derailers are trying to achieve -- making high quality, fun, twangy music. This stuff is not meant to change the world or change your mind about issues of the day. It's fun music to dance to, to sing along to, and to play for friends.

Northeast Kingdom
Northeast Kingdom
11 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, January 22, 2002
This review is from: Northeast Kingdom (Audio CD)
This is an awesome disc. Cheri Knight does not disappoint. It's been quite some time since this came out and I keep hoping that a follow up disc will be released but - so far -- nothing.
If you like intelligent, artistic lyrics delivered with a slight Western Massachusetts mountain twang -- this is the disc for you. Standouts include the first song -- Celtic-inspired, "If Wishes Were Horses," and the Emmylou Harris duet "Crawling."

The Mandelbaum Gate
The Mandelbaum Gate
by Muriel Spark
30 used & new from $3.15

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable but hard to follow and scarcely worth the effort, January 22, 2002
This review is from: The Mandelbaum Gate (Paperback)
I picked this book up when I ran out of reading material over the holidays. It looked great from the book cover (but you know what they say . . .) I found it to be a tedious book, very long and somewhat dull. Worst of all, when the "weird part" takes over -- it is very hard to follow. Impossible to understand what actually befell the primary male character. I can't recommend it unless you get it for free and have lots of time on your hands.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2012 7:49 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3