Profile for D. Leeper > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Leeper RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Xantrex 802-1500 XPower 1,500 Watt Portable Powerpack
Xantrex 802-1500 XPower 1,500 Watt Portable Powerpack
Offered by MariDest Marine Supply
Price: $536.90
33 used & new from $489.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Integrated design is not a good idea -- way too expensive to ship and/or repair., June 7, 2014
This integrated unit looked so good and so convenient that I bought two of them. Bad move. Like all batteries, they are doomed to weaken after about 3 years -- they don't hold much charge any more, and they're virtually impossible to replace. Now one of my units has an inverter that instantly goes to "Failure" when I when I switch it on, even with no load and a fully charged battery pack. I'll be junking the whole thing soon.

Much better is to buy individual AGM 35AH batteries (for example) and a stand-alone inverter. That way, when something fails, it can be replaced. And while one battery is being used, another can be re-charging. Separate components are a much more sensible and flexible way to go.

The shipping charge alone to return this turkey for repair can buy a nice fresh battery. Phooey. This is the first negative review I've ever written on Amazon, but this product earned it.

UPDATE: July 14, 2014: Local "authorized service center" replied to my inquiry about repairs with this one-liner: "I regret to inform you the Xpower power pack 1500 is not serviceable." Really. Wow.

The unit is only 3 years old and now worthless as an AC power source. Batteries still seem to have some life in them, so I can power an external inverter, but when they go, I'm done. Big waste of money on this turkey. Shame on Xantrex for not producing a serviceable product and then not standing behind it. I would recommend that Amazon simply stop selling it.

I repeat my earlier recommendation: Buy a hefty battery, some thick power cables, and a standalone inverter. Make a wheeled cart for it if you want to. At least then you can service the thing yourself.

Note also: If you plan to power a refrigerator or other device that needs a lot of surge power to get the motor running, make sure the inverter can handle it ... read reviews from those who've bought it ... even for a small refrigerator, I needed one with over 2000 watts continuous power rating. Inverters with lower power ratings simply switch over to "fault" mode, leaving you high & dry.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 3:51 PM PDT

Restoring the Republic: Arguments for a Second American Revolution
Restoring the Republic: Arguments for a Second American Revolution
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent summary of where we stand and what we must do, August 5, 2013
Smooth and crisp description of where we stand today, how we got here, what the historical perspective is, and what we must do next. I've written a formal book review, and I'll post the URL here (if Amazon lets me) when it's published.

2Pcs LR123A 2000mAh 3.6V Rechargeable Lithium Battery
2Pcs LR123A 2000mAh 3.6V Rechargeable Lithium Battery
2 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Working great, August 5, 2013
I haven't tried them all yet, but so far, these seem to be very good batteries ... my old one wouldn't hold a charge, but these seem just fine.

The Panther (John Corey Book 6)
The Panther (John Corey Book 6)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great John Corey (DeMille) story., July 18, 2013
DeMille's wise-cracking character, detective John Corey, kept me engaged and entertained through this whole story. Well done!

Can DeMille keep these stories coming? I hope so.

Copperhead [HD]
Copperhead [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-acted. Takes you to another time and place., July 18, 2013
This is not an action film if that's what you're looking for. It's a cerebral look at how war tears apart families and communities. Wars become noble things only after they're won, they're long over, and the history books are written. Until then, it's chaos, anger, uncertainty, and tragedy. This film lets you step back in time to the Civil War and experience a little of that. It's well-acted and has the authentic "feel" of another time and place.

elago S5 Slim Fit Case for iPhone 5/5S + Logo Protection Film included - eco friendly Retail Packaging - Extreme Hot Red
Offered by elago design
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ... Just what I wanted, July 4, 2013
This is just fine ... the bright color helps me find my iPhone when it's sitting amongst the clutter on my desk. Good protection too, apparently. I've dropped the phone on concrete and the case protected it (and itself) fully. Not even a scratch or chip anywhere.

Cable Electronics Labs AV 400 Prograde Composite A/V Distribution Amplifiers
Cable Electronics Labs AV 400 Prograde Composite A/V Distribution Amplifiers
Price: $51.99
41 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well -- no issues., July 4, 2013
Does what it's supposed to, and the wall mount helps me deal with the tangle of wires that infest the area behind our entertainment electronics.

Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 High Definition Personal Video Recorder with Digital Audio (SPDIF) and IR Blaster Technology
Price: $149.99
52 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This one really works, July 4, 2013
I've had several less expensive versions of a device like this, and they had had bugs, freezes, loss of video/audio sync, and other problems.

This device cost more, but it really works with component video cables and records hi-def video. And it does it on a low-end Windows7 laptop that I keep near my TV. I use it to record short video clips of news programs for political commentary.

The supplied software's many features are complex, and I haven't tried most of them yet. But for the base function, it works well. I was tempted to mark it down to 4 stars because it took a while to get going and I had to learn by trial-and-error, but because I finally have a recording box that *works* reliably, I'll go with 5 stars.

Instapark PowerBox Mars100 Fold-n-Go Portable 100-Watt Solar-powered 12V Battery Charger with Built-in Charge Controller & Cooling Fan
Offered by Instapark
Price: $299.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, and it's easy to use and store!, March 17, 2013
I've only owned this product for one week, but I can say that it is nicely designed, it includes essential connectors, and it's easy to use. I like the way it folds flat and stores neatly out of the way on a wall hook in my garage. I was thinking of putting together a charging system out of component parts, but this unit looked so convenient, portable, and easy to store, that I went for it.

So far I've only charged up one battery. It was a deeply discharged 35 Amp-Hour AGM battery, and it took about one full day of bright sun (Phoenix, AZ) to bring it all the way back to full charge. The indicator lights on the panel clearly showed the charging progress from empty to full. Very nice. Unlike some other reviewers, I had no trouble seeing the indicator lights in bright sun. I just had to look at them "head-on" -- they are recessed a bit into the case, so they don't show up at an angle -- no big deal.

Out of curiosity, with external meters, I observed battery voltage and charging current during the charge-up. Voltage started at about 11.5 volts and ended at 12.5 volts. Initial charging current started at about 2 amps and climbed in a matter of a minute or two to over 3.5 amps. Charge current gradually declined to a low of about 1 amp at the end of the cycle. That's about 40 watts peak power going into the battery. The unit is rated at "100 watts" but I presume that's the maximum "raw power" the bare panels could produce on their own -- the embedded charging electronics are there to protect the battery and the charging unit, and they seemed to be doing their job. The unit does have overheat protection circuitry, which did not "trip" during the charge cycle.

The instructions are adequate, and the unit is so simple to use that not much instruction is needed. If you buy one, be careful that the rack supports in the back don't slip when you set it up or move it around. If the unit crashes on the ground, the silicon panels could break. The unit includes some straps which can keep the supports from slipping out toward the back of the unit, but they could still slip inward if you move the panel to get better sun exposure and don't watch what you're doing. I used a couple bricks to make sure the support was stable.

All in all, this looks like a very good product. I'm happy(!).

Rosewill USB 2.0 Hub 7-Port HUB with Power Adapter (RHUB-300)
Rosewill USB 2.0 Hub 7-Port HUB with Power Adapter (RHUB-300)
Price: $15.99
36 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. No issues., December 13, 2012
Hassle free. Easy access to plug & unplug devices.

One minor issue: 7 devices could in principle draw up to 3.5 amps, and the supplied power brick is rated at 2 amps max. Not a big deal since I can't imagine use 7 full-power devices at once, and I don't want a big hulking power brick to supply it or the increased price it would take to support it. So I'm ok with their design choice. 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2