Profile for Rebekah Ruth > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rebekah Ruth "RebekahRuth" RSS Feed (Buffalo, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Hesitant Heiress (The Everstone Chronicles Book 1)
The Hesitant Heiress (The Everstone Chronicles Book 1)
Price: $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and fun!, January 11, 2015
I seem to have been on a Regency Romance kick lately and I've found some gems as I've indulged my current obsession. The Everstone Chronicles are among the top of the list of my new favorites. Dawn Crandall has a way of pulling you right into the hearts of her characters so you feel what they feel and you can't help but root for them.
In the Hesitant Heiress, she created a family and group of friends that felt real and I enjoyed my time with them immensely. (So much that I immediately bought and read book two..and can't wait for more!)
If you like inspirational period novels with witty dialogue and heart-fluttering romance, you will love The Hesitant Heiress. Thank you, Ms. Crandall, for several enjoyable hours of entertainment over the holidays!

Edenbrooke: A Proper Romance
Edenbrooke: A Proper Romance
Price: $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read it twice now..., November 5, 2014
Every once in a while a book comes along that just makes you smile and sigh. This is one of those books.

It held my attention from the first to the last page and I had to go back and read it a second time just to soak up the delicious interactions between Philip and Marianne.

The creative set up and flirtatious dialogue make this a new favorite. If you like a good regency romance, you will LOVE this one.

Locker 572
Locker 572

5.0 out of 5 stars If you know a middle-schooler or teenager...read this book!, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Locker 572 (Kindle Edition)
A friend gave me this book and I devoured it in a matter of hours. I LOVE the writing style of the author. I think anyone who has a middle-schooler or teenager should read this book and then give it to their teens to read. While the abuse suffered by one of the characters, at the hands of school bullies, may seem extreme to some, it is a reality to others and can't be taken lightly. This book gives great insight into the world of the bullies and the bullied. It's expertly written and full of characters that feel very real. I want MIss Shirley to adopt me. :)

When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this felt like looking in a mirror, January 18, 2014
The more Addie Zierman described her teen years in the evangelical world, the more I was amazed at how much we had in common...even the same kinds of thoughts. So, it's no wonder I would love this book when I have been in a place, lately, of asking some of the same kinds of questions Ms. Zierman does. She lays out her story with heart, humor and a transparent vulnerability that makes you want to step into her teen years and protect her from the damaging relationships she found herself in.

If you grew up in the 80's or 90's, listened to DC talk, had a promise ring, kissed dating goodbye and prayed at the flagpole...read this book. I imagine you'll find your story woven in the threads of hers. Her desire to please God, her stumbling, questioning, falling and returning to what's really important. To Addie Zierman, I say, thank you for your transparent, real, liberating message.

Kings of Nowhere
Kings of Nowhere

5.0 out of 5 stars The strangest book I've ever loved, January 18, 2014
This review is from: Kings of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
Kings of Nowhere is a series of short stories, which at first glance are completely independent of one another and are written in a variety of formats (some read like screenplays, some are in first person, others are in third person and still others are from several points of view). They take place in different locations across Canada and the U.S. and some stories even stretch back over one hundred years. With so many different stories, a summary would be cumbersome. Instead, I'd like to tell you why I think this is a fantastic book and why I think Patrick de Moss is one heck of a writer.

I like books that make me happy. I'm a glass-half-full kind of girl. I'll read stories that deal with tough subject matter but I'm always going to lean toward the ones that deliver a clear, positive message. I haven't cracked open a book of short stories since high school (over twenty years ago). I like concrete and realistic, not abstract shifting realities. And I rarely ever read books that are described as dark or haunting. This book is not a happy book, in general. It's not realistic and it is certainly dark and haunting.

I tell you all that to make my point that Mr. de Moss is a phenomenal writer because I could not put this book down! Even after reading it, I'd still say it's not the kind of book I like to read, yet I loved it. He has a very distinct writing style that draws you in and makes you want to keep turning pages. His characters are incredibly well developed, especially when you consider the short story format.

I'm actually still stunned at how much I enjoyed reading this book that is chock full of some of the strangest characters you've ever met in fiction. There are those who talk with ghosts, others who see unicorns and communicate with the wind. One man can't die while another is made of bronze, yet has the capacity to love. There are mythical creatures and psychotic episodes. Demons. Angels. And a whole lot of normal, screwed up folks. And yet there are beautiful, intriguing moments of love and friendship. Sacrifice and salvation.

Most of the time, it's pretty hard to figure out what is real and what is imagined. Yet I found myself believing that anything could be real within the pages of this book. I was both delighted and horrified while reading and as I said before, I couldn't put it down.

The only thing I found difficult to understand was the inclusion of the first story. It's a very interesting one. But the reason I mention it is that it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the stories. While at first glance, they all seem to stand alone, after a few of them, a theme emerges and some of the same characters show up repeatedly in different stories. This is part of the magic of the book which made me keep reading. Yet the first story, as far as I could see, was the only one that had no relationship with any of the others. It's not anything that made me dislike the book, but I did find it odd when I looked back at it.

So, to sum up; this is a strange, dark, haunting yet sometimes sweet book with writing that is so good, I'm gladly giving it five stars. If you want to read a book that's like nothing you've ever read and is written by an incredibly skilled story-teller, Kings of Nowhere should be next on your reading list.

You've Got Mail
You've Got Mail
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't watched it, what are you waiting for???, December 30, 2013
This is one of the all-time best love stories on film. And Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan couldn't be better.

Rasta Imposta Green and Red Elf Children's Costume, 7-10, Green and Red
Rasta Imposta Green and Red Elf Children's Costume, 7-10, Green and Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, December 28, 2013
I didn't know what to expect, when ordering this for my son. First, he's almost 12 years old, so we were taking a gamble on the size, but it fit him fine. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looked on. He looked great and was very excited that he won the costume contest he was in. The jacket is very nice and the "boots" add some nice flair. Didn't give it five stars because the belt is a little flimsy. The whole thing is quite light and I don't know how long it will last. But overall, very pleased with this costume.

One Direction: This is Us (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ One Direction: This Is Us
Price: $6.96
30 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars I Dare You to Watch this and NOT Fall in Love with this Band!!, December 28, 2013
First, let me say, I am not the typical demographic for a boy band. I'm a 41 year old mom of four (three are boys) and I have to admit, One Direction was not even on my radar until I saw them perform recently on SNL and X-Factor. But I love great music, so I was very impressed with and surprised by their talent. They all have great voices and the harmonies are fantastic!

I would say that I liked them after watching them perform on those shows. ("Story of my Life" was in my head for days and the video for that is amazing.) But, watching this movie made me and my entire family fall in love with these boys. They are the real deal. Not only are they incredibly talented, you can tell that they are down-to-earth and real. Quite a feat when you consider the unprecedented commercial success they've had and the fact that they can't walk in public without being mobbed by hundreds of screaming teenaged girls. Despite the hysteria that's created everywhere they go, they seem to have found a way to keep it real and remember what's important.

This movie gives incredible access into who these guys are and it makes you want to have them over for dinner. Seriously, if you are not a fan already, watch this movie. You won't be able to keep from smiling.

Prison Break (OceanCrest Latin Lovers Book 1)
Prison Break (OceanCrest Latin Lovers Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written novelette, November 22, 2013
(I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

Prison Break is a brief glimpse into the life of Natalia Varela, a twenty-five year old Argentina native. She's married to Mateo, a political figure, but is dissatisfied with their two year marriage due to a lack of excitement in the bedroom. This dissatisfaction takes her on an adventure with some very surprising twists that made the reading more enjoyable, because I didn't expect them. As I read, I thought it might be leading to a predictable end, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't.

I'm a little out of my element here, as erotica is not something I would normally read. I found it a little difficult to review this based on my enjoyment of the story, because I thought the protagonist was a bit selfish and shallow, maybe because of her pre-occupation with sex. Any time I don't buy into a character from the start, it's harder to enjoy the book. But despite that, I thought it was a well written story. (I don't have anything against sex...just thought the main character was a little overly obsessed..yet that may just be a normal thing in this genre?)

That being said, since I'm reviewing this as a professional, not just a reader, I will review it based on the more technical aspects of writing. I use a 10-category system, rating things like characters, pace, dialogue, etc.

My 10-category rating averaged out to a 3.6 (rounded to four stars). It's clearly marked as a novelette, yet somehow I missed that and was surprised when it ended so quickly. But I think the author has written an interesting story that will appeal to erotica readers. The pacing is good; it kept me turning pages. The narrative voice is strong and consistent. And the story arc is nicely crafted.
I did feel like I was at a bit of a disadvantage, as this is seemingly part of a larger story that I haven't read. I took off some points for the character development because both Natalia and Mateo seemed to shift their personalities drastically, at times. For example, Mateo appeared to completely change his personality with one phone call. I thought this was extremely odd. Yet, this is where I was thinking maybe there was more that I didn't know about him from the book that this was inspired by? The characters probably would have made a bit more sense to me if I had read that book as well.

Overall, if you are a reader who enjoys erotica, I think you will be pleased by this short story and I'm guessing you would enjoy Ms. Onyx's full length novels. If you don't enjoy the genre, I doubt this novelette will make you a convert.

Murray Pura's American Civil War Series - Cry Of Freedom - Volume 3 - Bachelor Buttons
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Poignant, July 28, 2013
I was in the mood for a sweet love story when I remembered I had downloaded Bachelor Buttons and hadn't yet read it. What a treat! I read it in one sitting. There are many summaries scattered throughout the reviews so I'll get straight to my review. It's a talented author who can make me care about her characters before the first chapter is done. I was on William's side almost from the first page. But I love the way Kathleen brought in a second suitor and he was a genuinely good guy. Because our decisions in life are rarely cut and dry. We often have to choose between two good things. That tension was obvious for Rose, even though it was clear who stirred her heart.

I love the heart and personality that was built into each of the characters and I was fascinated to learn about a slice of history that I'd never heard about. The draft riots were new to me and I love the way the author wove a love story amidst the backdrop of such a turbulent time. The only disappointing thing was that it was over so quickly! I would gladly have spent some more time with the characters. I'm looking forward to reading whatever Kathleen Maher does next!

Page: 1 | 2