ARRAY(0xa9f854e0)

Customer Reviews: 293

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William W. Davis "famousdavis" RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT ADVANCED 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, AV500 Powerline Edition, Wi-Fi Clone Button, 2 LAN Ports
Price: Click here to see our price
42 used & new from $45.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Solved a problem with a dead zone in my home, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: This was a very welcomed device in our home, as it eliminated a dead zone that existed in our home. My teenagers especially love that they can use their wireless devices in our family room now.

BACKGROUND: We have a dual-band router in our living room. Our family room is several walls away, plus the air conditioning air handler comes between our router and our family room. Before using this extender, no one could use their wireless devices in our family room, and their bedrooms had a poor signal, too. With this device installed in our family room, though, we no longer have any dead zones.

WHAT I LIKE:

- Removed a big dead zone in our home
- The ethernet ports allow my son to connect his gaming computer without a wireless connection, yet not be near our router
- Overall, our network has been stable, but not entirely, which brings me to the next section

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- Before using this device, upgrade to the latest firmware (visit the vendor site). Before upgrading the firmware, we had some very spotty performance issues
- Even after upgrading the firmware, we've had a few instances where the wireless connectivity to the Internet ceased, although wired connections still were fine (true even if connected wirelessly by the router, not this extender). I can't say for sure this extender has anything to do with that, but we've not experienced that issue before, and the router hasn't changed in more than a year.

CONCLUSION: If you upgrade to the latest firmware, this is a pretty good extender. If we didn't have any issues at all with losing Internet through the wireless connection, this would be a 5-star product. Note that I'm penalizing my rating by one star even though I don't know with certainty that this extender has anything to do with my issue (which is an infrequent issue - only occurring a few times in recent weeks).

Skip Hop Central Park Outdoor Blanket, Chevron
Skip Hop Central Park Outdoor Blanket, Chevron
Price: $45.00
6 used & new from $45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, just not crazy about the looks, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: We've used this blanket several times at the beach. It works nicely enough. It's just not that attractive!

BACKGROUND: We live close to the ocean. It's nice to have a big blanket or towel to sit on, to avoid having sand stick to your body. Using this blanket at the beach is easy to do -- it's light, folds up nicely, and is large enough for two people to comfortably use.

WHAT I LIKE:

- Folds up so it doesn't take much storage
- The plastic/vinyl exterior shell doesn't get wet like a cotton towel does, and spills wipe up easily
- If you use it on damp ground, the dampness doesn't seep through

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- No one in my family thought the color choice was attractive. But that's a very personal thing, so you may like it just fine.

CONCLUSION: For an outdoor blanket that is easy to clean, fold up and store, it works very nicely.

Blurex 24 Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000Mbps --- 19-inch Rackmountable -- 48Gbps backplane bandwidth
Offered by Prestige Milano
Price: $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for rack-mounted environment, good for other environments (eg, home users), April 7, 2014
QUICK SUMMARY: Easy installation, quiet, expansive Ethernet switch could be the only Ethernet switch you'll need. Recommended.

BACKGROUND: In my tech-infused home, this 24-port Ethernet switch was a welcomed replacement to a Linksys 4-port Gigabit I was using. Before installing this Blurex 24 port switch, I had to unplug/re-plug Ethernet cords into the 4-port switch depending on what I needed to be connected. Now, I've got everything connected with plenty more ports to use later.

WHAT I LIKED:

- Great performance at gigabit speeds. I moved 2GB and 4GB files very quickly, with burst speeds of 150MB/sec and sustained speeds of around 80-100MB/sec. That's consistent with what I would expect given my hardware.
- No fan means quiet operation
- Thankfully, Blurex decided to use well-lit green indicator LED lights rather than the blinding blue lights so often used
- While this is rack-mountable, I used the supplied four rubber feet to place this atop my roll-top desk

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- The ports are positioned in a 2 row, 12-port configuration. The indicator lights, however, are not intuitively positioned in a similar 2 row, 12 light configuration; rather, they used a 4-row, 6-light configuration, and port 1 is in the bottom left corner, not the top left corner. Maybe that's how switches like that are normally labeled, but it's not intuitive.
- The labels next to the lights are easily confused because the labels are essentially between two lights (is port 4 on? or port 8?)
- The labels themselves are in a very small font
- Because my installation doesn't involve a rack, the cables come up over the top of the switch to connect to the front of the switch. I would welcome a design that would allow either connecting cables to the front OR the back of the switch. To do that without having 24 ports both in the front and the back, just allow users to insert a power cord either from the front or the back, and having 24 LED indicator lights on the front and back, both. Then, for installations like mine, where I'm connecting a bunch of devices on a computer desk, the cables are connected to the back of the switch, not the front.

Likely, this unit will be purchased by businesses with an Ethernet network that is larger than the typical home user's network. If you're a home user or small business user, think through how this switch will be installed and make sure you're okay with the end result.

CONCLUSION: Buying a switch is a install-it-and-forget-it device. Or, it should be. Now that I've installed this Blurex 24 port switch into my home environment with gigabit speed performance (in a real world setting), I hope to forget that it's there. (Review unit supplied by vendor).

Unitek USB 3.0 Hub 6 Ports Usb3.0 + TWO 5V 2A Ipad Charging Ports with 12v 4a Power Adapter and Usb 3.0 Cable, Via Vl812 Chipset, Support Windows Xp / Vista / 7 / 8, Mac Os X 10.8.4, Linux
Offered by Ocean Technology LLC
Price: $56.99
2 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, iPad charging port a bonus for iPad users, April 7, 2014
QUICK SUMMARY: USB 3.0 charges an iPad while connecting up to 6 other USB devices. Speed performance on par with what you'd expect to see in real-life scenarios. The green indicator lights are helpful, and not blinding. Recommended!

BACKGROUND: My college son used this hub to test with his home-built gaming PC, which has built-in USB 3.0. We used external hard drives connected either via USB 2.0 or 3.0, both with and without this hub -- to see what performance issues, if any, we'd see when using this hub (we didn't find any issues). We used a spare Western Digital Green drive (older model), which you should know is a s-l-o-w drive, so take our speed results with a grain of salt. Your performance could easily improve using a better hard drive. Plus, there are so many other factors involved when doing speed tests, so everything in the review just suggests that the hub performs well, as you'd expect it to. My son used a test utility that transferred a 1GB file.

SPEED TEST RESULTS:

Write: 81.49 MB/s

Connected via USB 3.0 - ** WITH ** THIS HUB:
Read: 71.23 MB/s
Write: 80.47 MB/s

My son tested the iPad charging port with his iPad; it worked as expected.

CONCLUSION: Very good price right now on Amazon, and having the iPad charging port is a bonus. Recommended!

(Vendor provided sample unit).

[10 Ports usb3.0 ] Unitek USB 3.0 Hub 10 Ports with 12V 4A Power Adapter a to B Cable, Compatible with Windows Vista / Win7 (32/64-bit) and Mac Os 9.x or Latest Version
Offered by Ocean Technology LLC
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, but with silver duct tape over the blue light, it's 5 stars, April 7, 2014
QUICK SUMMARY: Very versatile USB 3.0 hub with the unique feature of having ports on all four sides. Speed performance on par with what you'd expect to see in real-life scenarios. But the blue light is blinding (but easily covered over).

SPEED TEST RESULTS:

Write: 81.49 MB/s

Connected via USB 3.0 - ** WITH ** THIS HUB:
Read: 71.66 MB/s
Write: 80.29 MB/s

The only thing to dislike about this hub is a BLINDING blue indicator light that is ridiculously bright. When we get devices like that, we just put a piece of silver duct tape over the light, and that dampens the light so it's still illumined, but it doesn't light up an entire room.

CONCLUSION: Very good price right now on Amazon, and very flexible to use with the placement of all 10 ports. Recommended!

(Vendor provided sample unit).

FRiEQ 3.5mm Male To Male Car and Home Stereo Cloth Jacketed Audio Cable (4 Feet/1.2M) for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Smartphones and mp3 players Black/Green (Plug will be Fully Seated with Phone Case On)
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! An easy way to connect to my encased iPhone!, April 1, 2014
QUICK SUMMARY: This cord is exactly what I (and others in my household) need to connect our i-devices (iPod, iPhone, etc.) that typically has a protective case around it, and typically prevents audio cords from connecting to the audio port because the plug on the end of the cord is too thick and the protective case interferes with the connection. This cord DOES NOT have that problem!!

WHAT I LIKE:

- The very slender ends of this cord fit inside my sheathed iPhone
- The fabric insulation makes it really easy to pick out of my piles and piles of black and gray, plastic cords
- The audio transmission is, of course, flawless

An excellent cable! Recommended. (Review based upon a review sample provided by the vendor).

OXA Mini Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Rechargeable Battery, Support Micro TF Card and AUX Line-in for Cell Phones and Laptops (Black)
Offered by OXA USA COM
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $25.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for portability and ease of use, not so great for audio fidelity, April 1, 2014
QUICK SUMMARY: Whether you'll like this Bluetooth personal speaker or not depends on why you're buying it. If you want wireless connection to a very small, very portable, rechargeable speaker that is louder than your iPod (or iPhone, or other device), you'll appreciate this speaker. If you want great fidelity in a very small package, look elsewhere.

WHAT I LIKE:

- Very small, very easy to bring with you to wherever you're going
- Rechargeable battery, so you don't mess with replacing alkaline batteries
- Bluetooth connectivity was smooth and trouble-free
- Red light indicator lets you know when the battery is charging / when it's done charging (by turning off)
- The speaker loudness is superior to my iPhone 5S
- Inexpensive; if it breaks or gets lost, you're not out much $$$
- Good to use with audio books where hi-fidelity isn't important

WHAT COULD BE BETTER

- It has an on/off switch, which is okay, but if you forget to switch it off after using it, you'll drain the battery. It'd be better to have an auto-off function that turns the speaker off after a minute or two of not being connected to a Bluetooth source
- The audio fidelity is no better, really, than an iPhone's tiny speaker. It's louder, but the fidelity is very, very limited. Don't buy this speaker expecting better sound than your iPhone/iPod, just expect to project sound louder (at the loudest settings)

For me, this device satisfied my desire to have a little speaker to use outside in my backyard when I'm studying on the patio or relaxing in our spa. My kids like to use it to listen to audio books, so they found that this speaker works well for that purpose.

CONCLUSION: Depending on your criteria, this could be a good speaker choice as long as hi-fidelity sound isn't one criterion you've got on your list.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 11:35 AM PDT

Quartet Magnetic Push Pins, High Power Magnets, Bright Colors, 10 Pack (MPPCB)
Quartet Magnetic Push Pins, High Power Magnets, Bright Colors, 10 Pack (MPPCB)
Price: $6.18
2 used & new from $6.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Colorful, strong, useful, March 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: I immediately put these on our picture-laden refrigerator door to help secure those photos that were barely hanging on by a few magnetized electrons. Recommended.

There's not much you can say about a product like the, really. Do the magnets work? Yes. Are they relatively strong? Yes. Are they too strong to pull off easily? No. Are they attractive? Yes, as much as a magnet of this kind can be attractive.

The shape of the magnet would be nice if you needed to hang something on the little recessed peg (I don't have that need).

Recommended.

Office 2013 Digital Classroom
Office 2013 Digital Classroom
by Walter Holland
Price: $21.24
56 used & new from $17.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of Office features - if you don't already know Office, March 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: This is a good overview of the familiar Microsoft Office suite, updated for the latest offering, Office 2013. Colorful and clear, it's suitable for people who don't already know Office. For experienced users, you're better off looking elsewhere.

WHAT I LIKE:

- The book is appropriately thick, meaning it covers a lot of ground in a book that's about an inch thick
- Very colorful graphics and pictures make it appealing to read
- Like you'd expect, you can jump around in the book to the chapters you want to learn about, skipping the chapters you aren't interested in

Note: As an experienced user of Office productivity suite, I didn't learn much about Office that I didn't already know. If you have used Office 2007 or 2010, I wouldn't recommend this book to you to learn the new features and updates to 2013. If you are a young student or adult who is not experienced with Office tools, this is a fine book to get and read.

ENERGIZER 120W Cup Inverter 12V DC cigarette lighter to 120V AC to power laptop notebook & more w/ 4 USB ports 2.1A shared compatible with iPad & more
Price: $29.88
32 used & new from $29.88

5.0 out of 5 stars All-in-one solution for extra power in the car, February 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: This inverter is a great solution for vehicles that don't have an AC inverter built in (like all of ours). It handles the needs of all the handheld devices in the car plus the AC inverter can be used with a laptop. Recommended!

BACKGROUND: We take long driving vacations each summer, and usually a few other long driving trips throughout the year. With three teenagers and a preteen in tow, it's vital to have something that can keep all the phones, i-devices, tablets and laptops powered-up.

WHAT I LIKE:

- Compact design, and, obviously, fits into a cup holder
- In our vehicle, there is plenty of ventilation space between this device and the cupholder well
- Four USB ports allow for a lot of device plug-ins
- The power supplied via AC is sufficient even for our high-wattage laptop power supply (105 watts)
- Easy to stow in our vehicle's front seat, middle console, so we don't have to remember to bring it on long trips

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- The cord is short, as it's designed, I think, for use in the front seat. It'd be nice if there was an option to exchange the cord with a 6' cord so it could be more easily positioned in our minivan, behind the front seat.

CONCLUSION: Great, inexpensive device that's great if you need both USB power and AC power in one device.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20