Profile for famousdavis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 438

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

famousdavis RSS Feed

Price: $97.97
2 used & new from $97.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The battery lasts and lasts!, July 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: Long-lasting battery provides plenty of power for that Saturday morning hedging you've got to do. Powerful enough to snip off all but the fattest branches that fit through the guiding teeth of the blade. And it has a battery power indicator, too!

BACKGROUND: I used this to trim my 30' long ficus hedge in my front yard this morning. With my old Black and Decker cordless, this job would expend a single battery and then some, depending on how overgrown the hedge was. Using this Scotts Li-Ion cordless, though, the battery level still read "Full" even after I finished the job! Wow! This new hedge trimmer weighs about the same as my old one, so no noticeable improvement there. The blades move more slowly than the Black & Decker cordless, but they do the job its designed to do. A few quirks about this device make it 4.5 stars overall.

WHAT I LIKE:

- The Li-Ion battery charged quickly, and provided PLENTY of power for my hedge-trimming chore
- The hedge clipper only got stuck on a few fat branches that didn't quite fit the teeth of the hedge's blade, everything else got snipped off just fine
- The hedge clipper has a battery indicator light which shows how much charge is left
- It was reasonably easy to use, not anything better than what I'm used to with other cordless trimmers
- It comes with an easy-to-use blade guard for when the hedge clipper isn't in use
- The Li-Ion battery can be left on the charger; it can't be overcharged

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- When you squeeze the on/off trigger, the battery level light may not read correctly. Be sure to squeeze the trigger fully and for a few seconds to get a reading. When I first was testing this, I briefly squeezed the trigger and the battery charge showed only one bar, which I knew wasn't right. But if I squeezed the trigger fully, the correct battery charge displayed.
- When I replaced the battery onto its charger, the battery charger slowly glowed red - defective battery!?! I removed and reset the battery onto the charger using a swift, sure movement, and that time, the battery began charging as I expected. I don't think the battery is defective, rather, I think the battery can't be slowly inserted onto the charger and get a charged properly. This shouldn't be a finicky procedure.

CONCLUSION: Nice cordless hedge trimmer will replace my Black and Decker hedge trimmer mostly because I know I won't run out of battery power doing my Saturday morning yard work. Nice unit overall.

DII Wicker Pet Toy and Accessory Storage or Basket Home Décor in Bone Shape, Medium
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to hide the dog toy clutter!, July 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: Nice wicker basket (made from plastic, probably recycled) has a humorous shape and with the lid, it's quick to hide the dog toy clutter. Not well-constructed to tote heavier loads around the house, it's fine for what it is.

BACKGROUND: We've got a mutt with a bunch of half-chewed plush toys, balls, old socks and more that we keep around for him to play with. Until getting this basket, all that unsightly, cluttered mess was in a wicker basket on the floor. Using this basket, it's a cinch to close the lid if I don't want to look at the clutter (downside: the dog doesn't know how to lift the lid himself). But use this indoors, not outdoors! My experience with recycled wicker products for outdoor use is dismal; the plastic quickly disintegrates. In a pinch, you could almost get away with using this as a picnic basket, but the lid locking mechanism isn't well-constructed, unfortunately, and probably would break if too much weight were being carried for too long.

- Fun shape
- Neutral color works well just about anywhere
- Good size to stow a lot of dog toys, bones, clutter
- The lid hides all the clutter nicely
- The lid strap locks into place, allowing you to securely carry this storage basket by its handle

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- The strap that attaches the lid to the basket compartment is attached rather flimsily; I wish it were more sturdily attached
- When closing the lid, the lid is a slightly misaligned so it doesn't lay flush on top of the basket; I wish it lay flush instead (not a big deal, though)

CONCLUSION: A nice product overall, but if you're planning on regularly toting this basket around by the handle, I wouldn't advise getting this product. It's fine when it sits on the floor, looks nice, and does what it's supposed to do -- hide the dog toy clutter.

Soundpeats Qy7 V4.1 Bluetooth Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets W/microphone for Iphone 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (Black/green)
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value-priced headphones fit better than they sound while running with them, June 29, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: Great value for what you get, but if you're a runner, these probably aren't what you want, even if they stay securely attached to your ears (too much microphonic noise). For gym use and walking, though, these are fine.

BACKGROUND: I use Bluetooth headsets while running 30-40 minutes outside during lunchtime. During the summer, I sweat so much that I couldn't get wetter if you poured a bucket of water over me. These Soundpeats lightweight headphones have a lot going for them, but what keeps them from getting 5-stars is I hear a LOT of microphonic noise as my feet hit the pavement, and the resulting vibrations seem to get picked up by these headphones and delivered right into my eardrums. But these headphones are great in many other ways, not the least of which is they're price-competitive. If you're not a runner, you may like these headphones even more than me.

WHAT I LIKE:

- The headphones were easily paired, and once paired, they connect very quickly to my iPhone
- The set comes with a nice selection of ear pieces and attachments; I use the ear hooks to keep them securely attached while running
- While running, I did not have to adjust these earphones even once; with a proper fit, they stayed very securely attached
- They are comfortable to wear, too
- I can turn my head from side-to-side without the cord (that's behind my head) tugging at the ear pieces
- The audio sound, while not breathtaking, is good for the money
- The set comes with a nice, zippered case to stow the headphones and all the ear piece attachments
- It was easy to add/remove the ear hooks without accidentally detaching the already-attached ear rubbers
- The headphone battery level is displayed on my iPhone when the two devices are connected
- Despite my profuse sweating, these headphones worked well

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE:

- The microphonic sound is really bad (that is, unwanted sound from vibrations) while running
- The ear rubbers are constructed with very thin rubber; I wonder if that contributes to the microphonic sound I hear while running
- The bass sound is underwhelming, even if I hold these headphones at an optimal position in my ears

CONCLUSION: Since I use these while running, the microphonic sound really impedes my enjoyment in using these headphones. I don't expect to have vibration-free sound from a pair of headphones while running, but these are worse than other Bluetooth headphones I've used. That said, these are a very good value for the money, and if you're not planning on running with these on, they may well be a 5-star item for you. (Vendor supplied free item in exchange for an unbiased product review).

Brand New Solarek Stainless Steel Color Changing 2-LED Solar Lawn Garden Lights ~ 8 Lights

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality stainless steel and poor design didn't last six months!, June 28, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: These lights work as designed, but the color change effect was too abrupt for my liking.

UPDATED 6/15/2015: ** DO NOT BUY **. After six months, most of these light fixtures stopped working. All of them showed a LOT of rust spots (the "stainless steel" is of such poor quality that they began showing small rust spots after just 30 days), marring the appearance of the one light that is still working. Terrible quality, a great disappointment. Try another a product - avoid these completely!

BACKGROUND: I installed these lights around the footpath around my backyard pool, where they get a lot of sunlight during the day.

WHAT I LIKE:

- Easy to assemble. Just insert the plastic stake into one end of the stainless steel tube, and insert the light fixture into the opposite end of the tube. To turn on the automatic light mechanism, twist off the top of the light fixture, flip the switch to the ON position, then re-twist the fixture on again.
- Each fixture came with a rechargeable battery pre-installed
- The batteries are Ni-MH, not Ni-Cad, so they shouldn't be subject to a battery "memory effect" that degrades performance
- The batteries are user-replaceable
- I only cared that these lights would work from dusk until midnight, and they do that
- They are maintenance free

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- The light color-shifting is too abrupt, occurring in 1-2 seconds. I wish the color shifting was more nuanced, even imperceptible. Instead, the too-quick color shifting draws attention to the light fixture. I want these landscape lights to be more subtle than what they are.
- The stainless steel tube is paper thin and easily bent. I wish the product used marine-quality stainless steel that was thicker, sturdier, since these are going to be subject to the elements. As-is, I have my doubts that the "Made in China" stainless steel will stand-up to Florida's heat, humidity, and rain. (I also wonder how the batteries are going to hold up in Florida's summertime heat, too).
- The red color is so dark, that it fails to illuminate my footpath. Only the greenish-blue color does a reasonable job of illuminating my footpath.
- I wish there was a way to not allow the colors to change; instead, I wish I could just choose a color to always have lit up.

NOTE: The package boasts "Color Changing LED Lights" which is true. But it also says, in smaller letters, "The lights...have super bright white LED lights" which is not true. They don't cast off white light, much less "super bright" white light.

CONCLUSION: If the light changing colors were much more subtle, and if you could choose to display just one color (turning off the color changing feature), this would be a 4-star item. I do worry that a landscape light set that is "Made in China" won't hold up to Florida's climate very well. (Vendor supplied free item for unbiased product review).

Foxnovo® FP10 10400mAh Lithium Polymer Ultra-thin Aluminum Alloy Dual-Port Backup External Battery Chargers Power Bank Charger for iPhone 6, 5S 5, 4S 4, iPod, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad 4 3 2, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Note 4 Note 3 Tab 2, Sony, HTC, Blackberry and Most USB Devices (Silver)
Offered by Foxnovo Store
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent battery pack with excellent, extra features!, June 28, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: An outstanding 10KmAh battery charger that looks great and comes with a plush storage pouch and highly useful 4-in-1 charging cable. This is an instant favorite charging power pack in my home. Highly recommended!

I have reviewed quite a few charging battery packs in recent years, and I really like them. This Foxnovo battery pack may well be my favorite of them all. I love the premium feel of its aluminum alloy shell, the high-quality feel of the included 4-in-1 charging cable that connects to all sorts of devices (micro USB, lightning, 30-pin Apple, and micro USB 3.0).

WHAT I LIKE:

- The 10KmAh battery capacity is enough to charge an iPhone several times before the battery pack itself needs charging
- The aluminum alloy shell looks great, feels great, and the overall size is a little smaller than other 10KmaAh packs I have
- The 4-in-1 charging cable is of nicer quality and feel than other, similar charging cables I have
- The plush storage pouch is surprisingly nice, with a cushioned feel and attached, external pouch for the 4-in-1 cable, too
- The battery pack performed as expected
- The blue LED lights are muted, a pleasant change from the blinding blue LED lights of other, similar products
- It's designed with one 1.0A port and one 2.1A port, so it can be used with both iPhones/iPods and iPads (and other devices, too)
- This would make an excellent, elegant gift, not for the packaging, but because of the product itself

CONCLUSION: I don't usually get that excited about battery packs, but both my college-aged son and I feel like this is the best external battery charging pack we've ever come across. I'm delighted with what I'm seeing so far from the Foxnovo brand. Highly recommended! (Vendor supplied free item in exchange for an unbiased product review).

[Apple MFi Certified] Foxnovo® 2.6ft 2-in-1 Lightning & Micro USB Cable, Sync Data & Cable Charging Cord for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S6 S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus 4 5 7 10, HTC, Nokia and Other Android Phones Tablets (Green)
Offered by Foxnovo Store
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my new favorite charging cable!, June 28, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: Finally! A cable that serves the needs of everyone's electronic gadgetry! This cable is not only a great idea, Foxnovo did a great job with the construction, too. Highly recommended!

I have reviewed a lot of cables in recent years, but this one is an instant favorite. Why? It's got a nice length (2.6 feet) so you can charge your device while using it, but the best part is the well-thought way you can convert the micro USB plug to an Apple lightning cable. The plug is narrow enough to fit easily into my iPhone with its protective case on. The bright yellow-green color makes it a snap to identify as the one cable I want to take with me.

WHAT I LIKE:

- The 2-in-1 feature is one I've wanted for a long time. Thank you, Foxnovo, for creating it!
- The lightning connector fits very securely onto the micro USB connector
- The yellow-green cable color makes it easy to pick-out of the dozens of cables I have in my home
- Having this one cable means I don't have to carry two cables anymore to charge devices I carry with me
- The overall construction feels good, it feels high-quality
- I like the flattened, no-tangle design of the cable itself
- The plastic coil that keeps the Apple connector secured to the cable stretches when needed, coils up when not in use
- It's Apple MFi Certified

CONCLUSION: This is one of the very few times I review an item that I really love, and that I can't think of any way to make it better. An excellent product! Highly recommended!! (Vendor supplied free item in exchange for an unbiased product review).

Adonit Jot Script 2 - Evernote Edition Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPhone
Price: $74.99
7 used & new from $74.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It won't make you a stylus fan if you're not already one, June 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
QUICK SUMMARY: The "feel" of using a hard-tipped stylus on an iPad isn't pleasing to me, the palm-rejection works (but not perfectly), the lag time between writing and seeing what you've written is noticeable, sometimes it just doesn't register what I've written, and heaven help you if you lose the charger.

BACKGROUND: Both my teen daughter and I used this stylus. She liked it well enough, but I didn't really like using it. She'll use it for drawing, not note-taking. I was interested in note-taking, but I'm not going to replace my disposable fountain pen and paper just yet (or just typing out a Word document on my laptop). We used this with an iPad Mini.

WHAT WE LIKED:

- The Bluetooth-enabled capability helps with palm rejection
- My daughter liked the feel and balance of the pen (but I didn't)
- My daughter liked using it to draw with because it's a fine-tipped pen

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- As I summarized above, there is a noticeable lag between what you write and what you see written on the iPad if you write quickly
- Palm rejection works okay, but not 100%
- When I tried writing quickly, sometimes what I'd written didn't appear on the iPad

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE:

- I just didn't like the feel of the pen's fine tip moving across the iPad. I guess it's just too smooth or slippery for my liking.
- I didn't like the weight, balance, and feel of this pen, despite the premium materials.
- I didn't like that it has a special USB charger. I hate devices that have special chargers when micro USB is ubiquitous. There is no reason why this pen couldn't have accepted a micro USB input at the end where it fits onto its magnetized USB charging base. Maybe it's not cool to have a dangling USB cord attached to a pen, but I've got 100 micro USB cables in the house, but I better not lose the charging base that comes with this pen or else I can't use this special, expensive pen.

CONCLUSION: I'm not to be counted among those who love using stylus with any kind of computing device. This device isn't going to set me out on that road just yet. My daughter gave this item 4-stars, but I gave it 2-stars; hence, it gets a 3-star review from my family.

Etekcity AC600 Dual Band USB WiFi Dongle & Wireless Network Adapter w/ WPS Button for Laptop / Desktop Computer - Backward Compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n Products (2.4 GHz 150Mbps, 5GHz 433Mbps)
Offered by Etekcity
Price: $19.98
2 used & new from $13.00

2.0 out of 5 stars It works on the 2.4Ghz BGN protocol, but not the 5Ghz AC protocol, June 27, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: I could not get the 5Ghz AC band to work well at all, but the 2.4Ghz BGN band worked well. The mini CD containing the Wifi driver was inconvenient since my laptops either have slot DVD drives or don't have DVD/CD drive. And the branding makes it impossible to know where to go for help. Not recommended.

BACKGROUND: I run a sophisticated home network with dozens of connected devices. At the core, I use an excellent TP-LINK AC dual band router with a D-Link and Linksys access point repeaters. To test this unit, I sat five feet from my router and connected to both the 2.4Ghz BGN band and the 5Ghz AC band. While the BGN band worked well, permitting data transfers from my Windows 2008 server at the 8-10MB/sec range, I nearly came to a crashing halt when connected to the 5Ghz AC band, where data transfers slowed to a crawl (< 1MB/sec). My test laptop was an old Windows 7 Dell laptop using just USB 2.0. I didn't expect great speed from the AC band on a USB 2.0 connection, but what I didn't expect was dismal performance. Before I tested this adapter, I did install their included driver firstly (having my son transfer the mini CD to an ISO file that he put onto a USB thumb drive).

- The performance on the 2.4Ghz BGN band was very good, at 8-10MB/sec
- The size of this adapter is great, very small, very unobtrusive
- The included installation manual was surprisingly clear with color screenshots of the installation process (albeit with a very small, 6-point font)
- The optional Ralink utility that shows wireless connection options and information was useful and helpful
- The Ralink utility lets you change your computer to an access point to extend your Wifi network

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE:

- The performance on the 5Ghz AC band was dismal, it never worked well for me. This is the key reason for my 2-star review.
- The green LED light on the adapter is nearly impossible to perceive because it's so tiny
- The branding of this unit creates a lot of confusion. The item is sold by Etekcity, but the manufacturer of both the adapter, driver and utility is Ralink, but Ralink isn't mentioned on any of the included packaging. When I tried visiting Etekcity's website for a driver, I couldn't find this adapter. When I tried Googling for it, I still couldn't find one. The user manual unhelpfully says, "Wireless USB Adapter" on the cover, never disclosing that Ralink is the manufacturer.
- The instructions should be very clear about where on the Internet to go to download the required driver (instead of using the mini CD)

CONCLUSION: I use the 5Ghz AC band in my home network on other devices, so I know that the issue I had using the AC band with this adapter is localized to either the adapter itself, the adapter's driver, or my Dell Windows 7 laptop. Since I can use my laptop's original Intel Wifi card to connect to the 5Ghz band reliably (using the BGN protocol, not the AC protocol), I am concluding that the issue is with the Ralink hardware and/or software. Not recommended. (Vendor supplied free item in exchange for an unbiased product review).

Soundpeats Q2 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets W/microphone for Iphone 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked as designed, but I didn't like the design (or the audio quality, either), June 27, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: In spite of the tension coil that gives these headphones a snug fit while wearing them, I found the audio quality to be just okay and the headset quickly become uncomfortable for me, an eyeglasses-wearing runner.

BACKGROUND: These are designed to be used in a gym or elsewhere when you're exercising. The tension-coil wire that connects the two ear pieces creates a snug fit around your neck and gently presses the two ear pieces into your ears while wearing the headphones. That could be a good thing if they caused the earpods to fit securely in one's ear canal, but that never happened for me. Instead, the earpods didn't fit well, and the tension of the connecting coil caused the ear hooks to press upon my eyeglasses where my eyeglasses fit around my ears. The overall effect wasn't good or comfortable. These headphones neither sounded very good (even if I held them with my hands to create an optimal fit inside my ears), and they just weren't that comfortable to wear, irrespective of whether I was exercising or not. If I had no other Bluetooth earphones to use while I go running, yes, I could use these for 30-40 minutes and it would be acceptable, but there are simply better options available to both me and you.

WHAT I LIKED:

- It was very easy to pair with my iPhone, and quick to reconnect after the Q2's were paired
- The Q2 headphones come with a small, zippered, hard-side case to store the headphones when not in use (good to toss into one's gym bag)
- Changing the volume on the headphones changes the volume setting on my iPhone (rather than act independently from my iPhone)
- They're inexpensive

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- The overall audio quality was passable for gym use, but it would never be something I'd use apart from exercising

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE:

- The buttons were too difficult to find and depress
- While pressing the volume control, I tended to accidentally depress the power/call button on the opposite side
- The headphones were uncomfortable to wear, especially while wearing eyeglasses/sunglasses
- This was the first Bluetooth headset I've used that uses a tension coil to create a snug fit while wearing the headphones around one's neck; I guess I simply don't prefer this kind of headphone design. Instead, I prefer the kind where the earpieces "hook" into the inside curvature of my ears.

CONCLUSION: These headphones worked as designed. But I don't really like the design, and the audio quality was never that good, even if I held them to my ear for an optimal fit. Not recommended. (Vendor supplied free item for an unbiased product review).

Soundpeats Universal Q800 Wireless Music A2dp Stereo Bluetooth Headset Universal Vibration Neckband Style Headset Earphone Headphone for Cellphones (black)
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value-priced Bluetooth headset with enhanced bass!, June 27, 2015
QUICK SUMMARY: Great value-priced Bluetooth collar headset has good sound for the money, enhanced bass, good design features, and worked as expected. My college-aged son is envious after testing these with me, and wants this set for his own now.

BACKGROUND: I don't listen to music at loud volumes, and I don't use Bluetooth headsets often because I just don't trust wireless devices so close to my brain. And Bluetooth headsets just don't sound as good as comparably-priced wired headsets (usually, but that distinction has gotten less and less with improvements in Bluetooth technology and devices). That said, there are times when a wireless connection is more convenient, so I do use Bluetooth headsets occasionally. My college-aged son tested this headset, too, and found he likes this Bluetooth headset more than any others that he's used (and he's used a lot them).

WHAT WE LIKE:

- The enhanced bass sound was a real plus! Both my son and I liked the enhanced sound. (Note: if you don't hear the enhanced bass sound, you probably haven't inserted the ear pieces fully and correctly into your ear; try adjusting the ear pieces so you get a snug fit).
- Overall audio quality was good at low-to-mid volumes (I found it difficult to listen to, though, for extended high volumes)
- The iPhone shows the charging level of the Q800's battery
- The Q800 audibly indicates battery level at start-up
- The pairing process was fast and easy, and the Q800 reconnects instantly when subsequently powered-on (after pairing)
- The raised button controls make it easy to operate (you feel the button control to recognize what button you're pressing)
- Changing the volume on the headset adjusts the volume control within the iPhone (rather than operate as an independent control)
- The low cost of this headset means if they get lost, stolen or broken, you haven't lost much money

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:

- The magnets that hold the earbuds in-place (when not using them) are too weak to keep the earbuds securely stowed
- For those that do not prefer enhanced bass, it would be nice to have a way to turn-off the enhanced bass

CONCLUSION: For the money, this is an excellent Bluetooth headset that has very good sound, enhanced bass, easy-to-use controls, and a good feature set. Recommended! (Vendor supplied free item in exchange for an unbiased product review).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20