Profile for Bugs Mama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bugs Mama RSS Feed (Michigan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Magic the Gathering (MTG) 2015 Core Set / M15 Intro Pack / Theme Deck - Resolute Archangel (White/Black)(Includes 2 Booster Packs)
Offered by MTGbiz
Price: $14.95
11 used & new from $12.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Received the Wrong Deck, August 27, 2014
Cards are fine except that we ordered a White/Black and received a Black/Red deck. They are NOT the same thing. My son was disappointed but we will keep the cards since he is just starting to build his 2015 decks. He was happy to receive a Planeswalker in one of the booster packs. We probably won't buy online again. I guess there is just too much room for error in packaging. Our local shop just didn't have any of the core sets in stock or we would have bought there in the first place.

Good luck getting the right cards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2014 1:27 PM PDT

Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Birds
Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Birds
by Jim Arnosky
26 used & new from $5.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Illustrations - Inspiring for Young Naturalists, June 25, 2008
This isn't the end-all-be-all books on bird identification. But it is not trying to be. My kids enjoy the Crinkleroot series and this one did do something that none of other books did... talked about how to use binoculars to bird watch. The gnome likeness of Crinkleroot will appeal to those with an attraction to Waldorf toys (we have many gnomes and fairies around here).

The drawings are wonderful and have inspired my 5yr old son. He has used them as a reference in his nature journal.

I would put the age range on this book around 3-7.

Independence Day (True Books: Holidays)
Independence Day (True Books: Holidays)
by Nancy I. Sanders
8 used & new from $10.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Spine for a 4th of July Study, June 25, 2008
We are studying the history of holidays for our Kindergarten year of homeschooling. "True Books: Independence Day" is a great jumping off point for our 4th of July study, briefly covering from Columbus to the present. It shouldn't be the only book you read though. I highly recommend reading the biography, "George Washington" by D'Aulaire and "Red, White, and Blue (All Aboard Reading)" by Herman with it. And if you want something just for fun... get "Yankee Doodle" by Gary Chalk.

I'm not sure what the reading level is... but as a read-aloud I feel that it works in the 5-8yr old range. The 9-12 age recommendation on the Amazon description seems off to me. If you are looking for a book in that range, try "Fireworks, Picnics, and Flags: The Story of the Fourth of July Symbols" by Giblin. For preschoolers I would suggest looking at the Independence Day (Rookie Read-About Holidays)series which has similar titles. This one was too much for my 3.5 year old to sit through.

I will be getting more books in this series.

The Easter Story
The Easter Story
by Patricia A. Pingry
Price: $4.29
151 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars just right for preschoolers, June 25, 2008
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
This version of the Easter story is the best one I have read for the toddler/preschool age (2-4). Some are either too graphic and scary, meant for an older audience. Or they go the other way and are so soft that you can't really even tell what the story is about. You have to acknowledge the fact that Jesus died to understand the joy in his coming back. I have another version that refuses to use the word die and it makes it very hard to tell the story that way. This is beautiful, simple and on track.

My First LeapPad Backpack- Pink
My First LeapPad Backpack- Pink
Offered by Jerlin Sales
Price: $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Stitches Falling Apart, July 11, 2007
If you love your My First LeapPad then you will probably like this item. It holds 3 books and cartridges. It is padded and seems like it protects the LeapPad well. Unfortunately the stitches on the cartridge pockets fell apart within a day or two of getting this with no major wear and tear. It is still usable but it does bother me that it didn't even make it from Christmas to News Years without 'falling apart.' Maybe mine was just defective.

LeapFrog My First LeapPad Learning System - Pink
LeapFrog My First LeapPad Learning System - Pink
6 used & new from $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth It!, July 10, 2007
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I broke my normal rule of 'No Toys with Batteries' because of the lure of the LeapPad educational value... Big Mistake.

My kids want to play with this toy but it NEVER works right. First of all our unit shuts off every 2-3 minutes (with new batteries) regardless if someone is using it or not. I like an auto shutoff but the kids quickly get frustrated and walk away.

Cartridges... ugg. I would say about 25% of the time I can not get this unit to recognize the cartridge "That's Not a LeapPad Cartridge" is a frequent error. So often it is reverting to the non-cartridge game even when my kids think they have gotten another book installed. Another source of frustration.

My kids want to play with it... but it is sadly on the shelf waiting for the next garage sale.

FYI - my kids are 2.5 and 4.5yr old. They can both turn on the computer and load their favorite games on their own and are quite computer savvy. This toy is not beyond their means of operating properly it is just too finicky IMO.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2009 11:08 PM PST

Teach Me Spanish & More Spanish: 2 Pack (Teach Me) (Spanish Edition)
Teach Me Spanish & More Spanish: 2 Pack (Teach Me) (Spanish Edition)
by Judy Mahoney
12 used & new from $29.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok for a basic intro, June 26, 2007
This is by no means a Spanish program but it is a nice way to introduce young kids to a foreign language. The first time I turned on the CD my 4yr and 2.5yr were mimicking some of the sounds they were hearing (without much though since they were playing). Since we are not a bilingual family, I feel that this is a nice way to bring in a cultural awareness and give my kids that early exposure to languages.

I do feel that the CD was rather short (not as long as most of my kids cds) and there was no "On CD" translation for the spoken phrases (you have to refer to the book - which I probably won't do unless my kids decide at some point to ask what it all means).

I may buy a couple other CDs from this company (like the Christmas one) but will definitely continue shopping for a more all in compassing program. For the price I paid on Amazon I'm fairly pleased with my purchase but am glad that I did not pay full price on the Teach Me site, there is just not enough content.

From Seed to Plant (Rookie Read-About Science)
From Seed to Plant (Rookie Read-About Science)
by Allan Fowler
20 used & new from $9.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right amount of info, June 26, 2007
This series is great for your young scientists. It gives just the right amount of information on a topic accompanied by wonderful photos. It is great for building vocabulary as well.

This book focuses on the parts of plant including, pistil, stamen, petals, pollen, etc. It deals with fertilization rather than photosynthesis. It also covers how a seed is transported.

Frogs, Toads & Turtles: Take Along Guide (Take Along Guides)
Frogs, Toads & Turtles: Take Along Guide (Take Along Guides)
by Diane L. Burns
Price: $7.15
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful series - I want to collect them all, June 26, 2007
This is the first book we got in the Take-Along-Guide series and we love it and plan to collect them all. The illustrations are lovely (although I find photos easier for a true guide book) but the brief diet and habitat notes were perfect for my 4yr son. The size guide and ruler on the back of the book were great to help my son get a feel for the differences in the species. Great for young scientists and explorers (I would say 4-8yr). Older children and adults will probably want more info than this book provides.

I also recommend the One Small Square books by Donald M. Silver. [..]

Better Late Than Early: A New Approach to Your Child's Education
Better Late Than Early: A New Approach to Your Child's Education
by Raymond S. Moore
32 used & new from $12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for all parents, May 30, 2007
Even if you haven't considered homeschooling before, I believe all parents will find some valuable information in this book.

Moore was able to capture exactly what I feel in my heart about child development and schooling. Separation anxiety, peer socialization (no that's not a good thing) and the constant labeling of 'problem students' stemming from the core concept that children are just not ready for formal schooling at the age that we push them out the door in our society. Although the book was written a generation or two ago the problems he outlined are even truer today that ever before. There is enough meat here (resources) to give validation without being cumbersome to read.

If you are even considering homeschooling your family (especially those looking to hs from the start) this book will probably be your selling point and a great resource to hand to doubting relatives (your spouse maybe?).

BUT this isn't really a book about homeschooling, it is about child development and I do think all parents could benefit from reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3