Profile for R. J. Marques > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 49

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. J. Marques "saintricardo" RSS Feed (Scottsdale, AZ United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
La Futura
La Futura
Price: $8.19
76 used & new from $3.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Again....., October 5, 2012
This review is from: La Futura (Audio CD)
Q: Is it POSSIBLE for Rick Rubin to produce an album anymore and NOT ruin it and the artist he's producing? A: No, it's not possible. Why does this man destroy everything he touches? And he's still considered rock royalty? He started producing Linkin Park and they haven't put out a good album since Meteora/Reanimation. Ditto for the Chili Peppers. Now ZZ Top. Not a bad album and definitely a return to their old sound, but that's not always a good thing. La Futura is a MISERABLE production. Congratulations Rick, you must be so proud. Can't you just retire and rest on your laurels already? To ZZ Top - Get Bill Ham back. Quick! Or just let Billy continue producing. But NEVER let Rick Rubin back in your studio! This album will hold me for some new ZZ Top material, but hoping their next album does not contain RR's poisonous production "skills".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 4:38 PM PDT

UGlu MTR703 Multi-purpose Industrial Strength Adhesive Strip Variety Pack
UGlu MTR703 Multi-purpose Industrial Strength Adhesive Strip Variety Pack
Price: $19.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Yet Another Waste Of Time & Money, December 19, 2010
When oh when will I learn to stop buying things off TV? Yet another amazing product that was exactly what I needed for 3 small jobs in the house here - attach a small, lightweight shelf to the wall, to mount an undercabinet light and attach a piece of decor to a wall. All three items are well below the weight limit for the adhesive, and the amount of adhesive used, and all three stuck for about a day and then fell off. Multiple attempts provided the same results - it sticks, but not for long. The reason I wanted to use this product, was so that when an item is removed, it does not damage the surface it was adhered to; i.e. the wall. But no dice - doesn't work - no way - no how. You want something to stick, you use the 3M double sided foam tape, that can adhere a car to the ceiling. Sure it will rip the drywall up if removed, but it WILL stick and not subject you to the profound disappointment of U-Glu. If anyone ever has the opportunity to pass Billy Mays or Vince Shlomi or ANY of these TV "Spokespeople", please punch them in the throat for me...! But save your money on this "miracle product" - it simply doesn't work.

Ambient
Ambient

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Worry-, July 26, 2010
This review is from: Ambient (Audio CD)
There was never any album, CD or Project released by William called "Ambient". This was an error on the part of Amazon.Com - this project never existed.

Original Album Series
Original Album Series
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $20.58
52 used & new from $12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, June 6, 2010
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
You can't go wrong with these five original Chaka albums. Although I had all five of these albums on CD already, the 1982 title "Chaka Khan" has been unavailable. There was a Japanese import of it, although VERY rare and scarce and the prices were always over $100. I made do with a vinyl transfer to CD which was adequate. Now, I have a remastered original, which is great. Another reviewer mentions here that the 1984 release "I Feel For You" appears to be a vinyl transfer - I do not believe this is true. While I'm not sure who "101 Distribution" is [this is the label Amazon indicates is releasing this compilation], all albums are from Warner Bros / Rhino, and as such, have been remastered from the original masters. Amazon is asking a pretty steep price for this, but this collection can be had, brand new, for under $20 - look at Marketplace sellers or other CD sellers online. If you don't have these first five albums, this is a great deal to get them all. If you're also just looking for 1982's "Chaka Khan" to have on CD, this is your chance to grab it for a steal.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 3:57 PM PST

Armistice
Armistice
Price: $9.99
70 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album / Well Crafted; but with that said..., October 17, 2009
This review is from: Armistice (Audio CD)
Discovered this group based on a chance viewing of their video for "Typical". Purchased that album and was blown away. I thought their debut album was one of the most intelligent and well crafted alt rock albums by a new group I had heard in a long time. What is exemplary about this group is their playing chops - all are extremely gifted musicians. The songs are well constructed and it is a pristine production, with a hard edged 'garage' sound.

With that said, and not having heard anything from this new album, I purchased it. It again, is a strong showing, with well crafted songs and good production.

But:

I think I would have preferred this album as their debut, and their first album as their sophmore effort. This album does not seem to take risks, and go buck-crazy all over the place as their first one did. This release seems calculated, and there's something that's hard to describe that the first album had all over the place, that this one does not have at all. Not that it's not good, it is - it just doesn't approach the heights, at least for me personally, that their debut album did. If you like Mutemath, purchase this - but don't expect the same joys and heights reached by their debut.

Tommyland: The Ride
Tommyland: The Ride
116 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Crafted And A Great Listen!, August 26, 2009
This review is from: Tommyland: The Ride (Audio CD)
Never a fan of Motley Crue, but caught the tune "Hold Me Down" years back and really loved it. Prompted me to pick up "Never A Dull Moment", which I thought was a great CD. Synchronicity prompted me to pick up his previous CD "Methods Of Mayhem", which I also really enjoyed. Having heard Tommy perform "Good Times" live on some show, I picked up this album as well. I have to say, it's a really well made and performed album. I still don't know how much Crue I could listen to, probably not much, but Tommy can keep on releasing these albums and I'll keep buying them. His performance chops [guitar, drums, and I think some keyboards] and production skills are great, his vocals gritty, coarse and right on target. Best cuts in my opinion are "Make Believe", "Try To Be Me", "Making Me Crazy" and "Good Times", in no particular order. Give it a spin - I think many people will be pleasantly surprised.

Bossa Nova Hotel
Bossa Nova Hotel
Price: $10.59
27 used & new from $8.17

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, November 23, 2008
This review is from: Bossa Nova Hotel (Audio CD)
Wounded Bird does it again - digs up a classic, remasters it and re-releases it.

Michael Sembello is an amazing artist. This is the only album most people might recognize of his, because of the song "Maniac" from the movie Flashdance. But Michael had been at it a long time - he was part of Stevie Wonder's touring band in the early 70's and was a very in-demand session player, playing on albums for Randy Crawford, David Sanborn, the Jackson Five, Stephen Bishop and Sergio Mendez [which would be great future projects for Wounded Bird - Sergio Mendez' pop albums from the 80's]. He also wrote and/or produced songs for Chaka Khan, George Benson and Donna Summer to name a few.

I'm not sure why Warner Bros. dropped him, or whether he left on his own accord, but he moved to A&M Records and released "Without Walls", an incredible follow-up album in 1986. He re-appeared in 1992, releasing "Caravan Of Dreams" on Polydor. It didn't get much in the way of airplay, but it was also a phenomenal album. His prowess on multiple instruments, production and vocals is breathtaking.

In 1997, he re-appeared again, on another label, Columbia, for another incredible album "Backwards In Time". This album, however, was only released in Japan [Nippon Columbia]. Again, not much airplay, but some truly great music, musicianship, vocal performances and stellar songwriting. Michael's also written a lot of songs for films and several soundtracks. I guess he keeps busy but I don't think he has ever gotten his due, for the unbelievable amount of talent he has. A compilation was eventually released called "Ancient Future" for the Legend label in 2002. Another compilation called "The Lost Years" was released on the Italian label Frontiers Records in 2003.

Bossa Nova Hotel contains some great music - the other top 40 release from this album, "Automatic Man" opens it. But there are many TRULY great songs on this album, including "It's Over", which also should have been released as a single.

While this album has a place in most collections, I would urge anyone enjoying this album to search to find the other albums discussed above or either of his two compilations. All are difficult to find, but well worth the search. Wounded Bird would do well to release his whole catalog.

Enjoy!

The Great Horror Family - Complete Collection
The Great Horror Family - Complete Collection
DVD ~ Shunji Fujimura
3 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, in its own way, August 17, 2008
I just came here to check if a Season Two was available of this show and alas, it is not. I also noted the price - $35.99 for the first season. I'm humbled to say I saw this 3-disc set, brand new in a Big Lots store for $2.99 and bought it on sight last week. I saw that the Director was Takashi Shimizu and I love his movies. I also noted that it was a Japanese TV series mixing horror and comedy, which appealed to me.

The show is crudely produced, with silly, cheesy effects - both visual and audio, but the show is still a great watch.

It centers on a traditional Japanese family [father, mother, younger daughter, older son, and a set of grandparents], who purchase and move into a supposedly haunted house. The father is oblivious to the strange goings on, although he is the most interested in spiritual matters, hauntings, UFO's and the like. The grandfather dies of a heart attack after discovering the spirits and energies in the house before [actually, WHILE alerting the family members]. As a spirit in the house, the grandfather summons the son and explains the house is haunted and only he can save the family from the horrors in store.

Thus is the premise the series is based on. The performances are hysterical, the camera effects and sound effects are funny, the stories are laughable and silly, but also thought provoking.

I don't watch american network television precisely because most of the shows are crap and appear to be written to a 13-18 year old demographic. This show is completely opposite - it seems written on an adult level, and then is presented and produced to appeal to a wider range.

Again, I say the camera angles, camera work, camera effects and audio effects are cheesy, but they work to the series benefit. I love ALL Asian culture and this is no exception. I love the interplay between the family and the relationships between the characters. Some of the characters are too funny for words [the Necromancer (and his younger brother who says certain lines in English) are absolutely HYSTERICAL. The Grandmother who is always eating, shoving something crunchy in her mouth with a blank look on her face or sipping tea is exquisite in her role. The Goth Lolita made me howl, as does the character who is a knock-off of The Grudge character - with all the hair. Additionally, the father [the role and the actor] - are excellent.

Again, this is NOT american television, so if you're looking for "Friends" or similar type productions, you will be disappointed.

But I found myself watching all 13 episodes back to back, as well as the extras [over two hours worth], along with all the commercials plugging the shows, as well as 'making of'. For $35.99 I'm not so sure, but again - I only paid $2.99 for the set and after viewing, I would have paid eight times that amount for the laughs I got out of it.

Not american television [a good thing] but I will be looking for a Season Two. Mr. Shimizu - I love your work, both movies and television, and would welcome any opportunity to work with you as an actor on ANY of your projects!

Crayons
Crayons
Offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music
Price: $4.79
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back Ms. Summer!, May 25, 2008
This review is from: Crayons (Audio CD)
I have to admit I was intrigued when I found out Donna was coming out with a new album. I've always liked her as a recording artist. She was the backbone of Disco, which was my era - I enjoyed her music through all her major albums for Casablanca [75-80]. It was always Donna, Giorgio Moroder, Pete Belotte and Harold Faltermeyer that were coming up with the freshest grooves and beats, and crossing genres as well.

I loved her work during the Geffen years, where she seemed to pull away from the usual formula of her recordings. Ditto for her two albums for Atlantic; "Another Place And Time" and "Mistaken Identity". She was never scared to explore new musical horizons whether the albums were considered successes or not, which I admired. Anyone can do what their label tells them and put out the same crap and shite over and over again.

But you could always tell that Donna followed the beat of her own drummer. I think in her heart, she wanted every album to be a success, but Donna was never one to rest on her laurels and wandered around so many different styles - each new album was refreshing. [Case in point - 1981's "I'm A Rainbow" that Geffen Records refused to release, 1982's Quincy Jones produced "Donna Summer" and 1987's All Systems Go produced by Harold Faltermeyer]. I remember hearing "This Time I Know It's For Real" for the first time and thinking Wow, Donna's back in the house!

This time around, she was signed by Burgandy - which is a Sony imprint and who also recently signed Ms. Chaka after she left Warner Bros., and did an album for Princes NPG records [as well as a couple of indies].

The sound and tone of the album leans very heavy on bass. A lot of the highs are mixed down and not very bright. Another thing is the drums tracks are mixed way down. You FEEL the beat rather than hear the beat. As a fan of big, chunky beefy drums, this was a bit awkward at first for me.

But then there are THE SONGS:

The songs are EXCELLENT! The first single 'Stamp Your Feet' sounds like typical radio play - it's fresh and should do well for her. The other song that caught my attention was 'I'm A Fire' - which will burn down the clubs. I listened to this cut while driving on the freeway and thought, once again, - wow - Donna's in the house again! I can see this song becoming a very strong club staple.

The songs that resonated the most for me outside of I'm A Fire are "Sand On My Feet", "Driving Down Brazil", "Slide Over Backwards" where she sings in this incredibly raw 'backwoods, old New Orleans' type of voice which sounds just great. Also loved "Science Of Love". "Be Myself Again" is a very touching and sensitively performed song. You can tell by listening it is very heartfelt. "The Queen Is Back" is a funny tune and she's having fun poking fun at herself which was great and provided me with a chuckle while driving and listening to it. I recall listening to one of the songs while driving and she asks 'do you feel it'? And I replied, out loud - yes Ma'am, I most certainly do.

Not only did she have a hand in composing almost all of the tunes on the album, but her voice is in GREAT shape. I've read a few reviews here that mentioned her vocals are processed a bit too much. Donna doesn't need vocal processing at all, but it is a fact of the times - on most ALL commerical records - the vocals use extensive processing. It is a production style that is very popular. Some need it - some don't - but most use it anyway. The processing, be that with digital reverb, digital delay, and/or vocoders - I can say that her vocals are processed a LOT LESS than other artist's commercial recordings of late, and she doesn't use any pitch perfectors either - she doesn't need em folks.

She, in a word, SOUNDS GREAT. I would have to say that the production style of the record took me a bit of time to get used to, but people need to know that this is a GREAT album and to give it a shot! Definitely worth the wait.

It's great to have you back Ms. Summer - I hope Crayons opens up many avenues of options for you to explore on your next record. Please don't make us wait this long for the next one though...

PEACE-

Silent Nation
Silent Nation
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $27.49
24 used & new from $8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Progressive Rock, May 22, 2008
This review is from: Silent Nation (Audio CD)
Asia has never disappointed me, from the original lineup to each incarnation of the band. I'm not much into live recordings of which they have multitudes, but this studio album from 2004 is very well made. The production excellent, the songs, performance and harmonies are great. It is interesting to note that their next album "Phoenix" brought back the original lineup back, and the Asia sound continues to evolve album to album. It is time for a complete discography of all their incarnations, all albums into one set. I have their entire discography of studio albums, including Archiva Vol 1 & 2, as well as the "Rare" album. Asia always has been and continues to evolve as a great progressive rock band.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5