Profile for ABCarole > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ABCarole "Beachlink" RSS Feed (Atlantic Beach, FL United States)

Susan Mason's Silver Service
Susan Mason's Silver Service
by Susan Mason
Price: $27.87
77 used & new from $1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Photography lovely, just not accurate!, August 7, 2013
Although I purchased this book back in 2008, a recent discussion with a friend re: food photography prompted this review. Most of the recipes I tried from the book were fine...until I made the Seafood/Artichoke Casserole on p. 45, following the directions to the letter! It tasted good but looked nothing like the photograph; no crust at all and not very attractive. Later, a friend who also had the book told me that she had made this dish for a dinner party, expecting the dish to look like the photo...big disappointment! The picture in the book was totally deceptive. It's disturbing that this author, with her professional reputation, would foist this deception on us. Too bad.

State of Wonder
State of Wonder
by Ann Patchett
Price: $18.82
541 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars State of Illogicality, June 25, 2011
This review is from: State of Wonder (Hardcover)
Impressed by early reviews and excited at the prospect of another Bel Canto, I bought State of Wonder the day it hit the market only to find it as disappointing as Bel Canto was rewarding.

Why? Too many disconnects: a brilliant woman flying off to the jungle puts a rare GPS-equipped telephone, her only link to civilization, in a checked bag? A major pharmaceutical firm shovels money to an employee for years without any oversight or progress reports? Committed medical researchers find a cure for malaria and don't disclose it? A female physician never considers the negative aspects of old-age fertility until she's pregnant at 73? A 42-year-old woman has a problem calling her lover by his first name? A medical professor reputed for high standards lies about the death of a colleague?

This novel demands more `suspension of disbelief' than is possible for an intelligent reader.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2013 10:24 AM PDT

The Room and the Chair
The Room and the Chair
by Lorraine Adams
103 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars First Grade Sentences, July 12, 2010
This review is from: The Room and the Chair (Hardcover)
I picked up this book with great anticipation. I read the first sentences:
"She heard the air. It sounded like her Mustang on the Interstate. She'd push it's tat engine hard for the on-ramp. Dash would vibrate."

I kept expecting more adult sentences. They did not come. All the way through the book. Why did any publisher put this into print?

Oh, God...now she has me doing it, too! What a waste of paper.

The Sonnet Lover: A Novel
The Sonnet Lover: A Novel
by Carol Goodman
Price: $19.95
101 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars What has happened to basic grammar?, August 14, 2007
I chose this book from the "Browsing" section of the library with high hopes: I am a member of a Shakespeare Study Circle; I've spent time in Italy and am a free-lance writer. This looked like the perfect summer novel for me.

Recently I've noticed an increasing number of grammatical errors in published novels and wondered how that could happen. In this one,I made it to p. 55 and read: "It wasn't me who was dying..." How could a competent writer make such a basic grammatical error? How could a careful editor let it pass? How could I, as a reader, trust them?

I did finish the book, noting other errors along the way. The careless writing ruined this novel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2007 7:28 AM PDT