Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for ajsteele > Reviews

Browse

ajsteele's Profile

Customer Reviews: 174

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ajsteele RSS Feed (Outer Mongolia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition Blu-ray + Theatrical Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD UltraViolet Combo Pack)
DVD ~ Ben Affleck
Price: $24.99
33 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars SCREW THE PAID REVIEWERS!!!, March 24, 2016
Just got out of an early showing and I was blown away. I get home to see a bunch of critics slamming what is quite possibly the greatest superhero film made to date. No depth?! That was the common thread in these negative reviews .Forget that. Get ready for a real review. The first hour of the film is surprisingly on the slow side as we get what's needed, and that is to put this newly unraveling DC universe on film. It gels. Don't get hung up on the word "slow", it just means less action and more creative dialogue.I found the back and forth between the lives of Superman and Batman to work unbelievably well. . In fact I was astonished at how masterfully it was done. I know I'm not alone in saying this but Affleck is hands down the greatest Batman the silver screen has ever seen. Yes, this is a dark film, as it should be . After seeing the film, you will have truly witnessed Batman come to life. And what a blend- the dark power of Batman- and the SUPERHERO that IS Batman. Absolutely brilliant. And Cavill as Sups by no means plays second fiddle to Affleck as some have suggested. He's mega emotive , and has grown into character tremendously. His Clark Kent is cinema perfect . Since the film is still in its early release, I'm not going to get into specifics of the storyline or reveal any spoilers . Everybody knows however that a certain villain is in the film. It's spectacular. And while you watch the fight scenes with the Trinity, you should be smiling from ear to ear, along with feeling a healthy dose movie chills.. I was watching a comic book in motion- totally alive and kicking! Some real nice reflective moments ground this film in a way I haven't seen in the Marvel films. I mean- there is some serious drama coming at you. The acting by most is superb . It's takes a lot for me to say the following, but I have NEVER had my eyes slowly water up.in a superhero movie. Nor have I felt such genuine interest in the characters lives. The visuals are balls to wall spectacular. Art in motion in many cases. I really appreciate those nuances. You should feel like you've been carried into paradise as you watch Wonder Woman unfold before you. Gadot nailed the part. And finally- you had better see this film in a theatre with a serious sound system. I practically sat on a speaker because seating was limited, and it made all the difference in the world. The score is tremendous. See it.....NOW!!!!!

Knock Knock (2015)
Knock Knock (2015)

1.0 out of 5 stars Vile garbage, December 16, 2015
This review is from: Knock Knock (2015) (Amazon Video)
It really is sad that Keanu Reeves took on a film project like this. As one that appreciates all types of films, and generally writes with detail about what I've viewed, in this case I don't have any energy to put into this disgusting piece of garbage, except for what I was able to muster up with what you are now reading.

Cop Car (DVD)
Cop Car (DVD)
DVD ~ Kevin Bacon
Price: $9.96
46 used & new from $3.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh storyline, December 2, 2015
This review is from: Cop Car (DVD) (DVD)
The idea behind "Cop Car" is an interesting one, it's just unfortunate that a good number of scenes are unnecessarily drawn out. When the film begins, it's likely to lose viewers with its tedious display of how two ten your old's behave with "vulgar" words when on their own. I found the kids to be irritating during most of the film but I realized they were simply the catalysts . What you have with a film such as this is a story entirely new to film, and thats a good thing. The film plays up how kids can be unwittingly caught up in serious adult violence while keeping the audience in a tension filled state. Kevin Bacon oozes subtle evil as the antagonist pursuing two clueless kids. I really enjoyed his performance. The movie locks you into small town USA with its rural landscape that ends up giving you only a few significant characters. "Cop Car" is a film that relies mostly on the viewers desire for a climax, and the question of whether it was, "good for you" is subjective. As a reviewer of many films, I thought it had an above average level of entertainment considering the production value.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2015 6:10 AM PST

Supergirl: Season 1
Supergirl: Season 1
Price: $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, November 5, 2015
This review is from: Supergirl: Season 1 (Amazon Video)
It appears network television hasn't changed much when it comes to superheroes. I've been waiting for Supergirl to materialize in film or on tv for years, and in a way that would hopefully leave behind the silliness of one prior theatrical incarnation. It hasn't arrived with CBS's take on Supergirl. Its so tiresome to be reminded that unintentional cringe worthy productions are still in effect. Even going back to the original Chris Reeve Superman films, makers somehow feel a need for Otis type characters or super hammy dialogue to prove (?) what your watching is based on a comic book. Either that, or they think everybody needs regular levity just to make it through. I mean, what else explains this nonsense.

Adults are watching shows connected to sci fi and fantasy as much or more than young kids. Why not target this demographic? Supergirl is aimed at young impressionable females. It attempts to sell them on how much different men are with a continual dose of political correctness tossed in . I like the idea of a black Jimmy Olson, but it would be great if they could actually have grounded his character slightly (lol) closer to his original persona. I also like looking at Melissa Benoist in costume (although I think the S would look better in the upper right of her chest like in the 70s comics-), shes cosmetically fitting for the role but the goofy antics as a conflicted Kara are embarrassing. What further amazes me is that even modern DC (or Marvel) superhero comics are not filled with lightheartedness , so why the need for it with a tv superhero?

I will admit that Supergirl could turn into a guilty pleasure for me because it's just great to see her in action. And yes, the fight scenes are weak but at least they are showing bullets bouncing off her which has been long desired by many fans. Can you imagine a Supergirl played dark and edgy in the vain of "The Walking Dead?". That would be a dynamite show if written correctly. So again, I'm stuck watching a kiddie version of Supergirl just because I like the character.

Giovanni; More Body Hair Thickener Volumizing Styling Gel-6.8 fl oz -Gel
Giovanni; More Body Hair Thickener Volumizing Styling Gel-6.8 fl oz -Gel
Offered by PharmaFrag
Price: $10.79
9 used & new from $5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Different than other hair care products., September 3, 2015
This is an interesting product. First off, for me, it doesn't act as a volumizer even though it is advertised as such. It thickens the strands of your hair, so if you have thin hair that's thinning as well it makes it look better. If you use the product with some water on the tips of your fingers it feels slippery, not like a hard sticky gel. Its a decent product to have around for those days where your hair looks stringy and crappy. I would say that it works good with short and long hair. If you are going for the dry look your hair will appear much thicker than with a wet look.

Survivor
Survivor
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars >Stylistic<, June 27, 2015
This review is from: Survivor (Amazon Video)
Although "Survivor" has a few unnecessarily drawn out moments, it has a refreshing old school spy feel with a modern touch. Jovovich has a face from the 1940s. I know, thats hard to explain, but it's fits this role. She was presented as a competent but not overly tough woman with true feminine emotions, unlike many female lead films that exaggerate these attributes in a way that has become tiresome. The makers of the film really came up with some dynomite chase scenes that stick in your head, causing you to contemplate a re- viewing of the movie. The plot; well, it's spy stuff that satisfies. This is Brosnans finest role to date as a cold hearted killer nicknamed "The Watchman". When it comes to Dylan McDermott, who is prominent in the film as one of Jovovich's superiors, I felt he was too much of a cardboard character which was a minor distraction for me. That aside, the film is a creative juggernaut.

And, how great was it to see Robert Forster (from the 80s film "Alligator" for those who remember) in this film? The man certainly has a face made for spy flicks. Also known as "that guy", he gives a good vibe to the film. "Survivor" was a screenplay that sat around for awhile until it was picked up and became a spy romp that turned out to be little gem. Fans of the genre will likely enjoy it more.

Kidnapping Mr. Heineken
Kidnapping Mr. Heineken
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't catch a buzz., June 27, 2015
The trailer for "Kidnapping Mr. Heineken" had me me looking forward to a film that seemed interesting, and with a bit of a moral message. As we know though, trailers are devised to hook you in and often display the best scenes a film has to offer. I ended up watching those decent scenes again while viewing the entire film but they were surrounded by a rushed storyline. Although the film is "based on a true story", I have a feeling that the "based on" statement is about as minimally derived at as possible. These average English blokes hatching a plan to capture the wealthy Mr. Heineken never really seem that financially desperate, even though at the start of a the film we are given a quick "reason" for their scheme , there's no crushing motivation. Outside of a few scenes, I felt the acting was very poor with a ton of ,"okay, you yell now" parts given by the director off screen.

What holds your interest is the outcome. Basically, "how is the kidnapped person going to act, and when do these guys doing it get caught?" That's the lure. When it comes to the separate part of the film; the reaction of the kidnapped , I find that Hopkins (who is a great actor) falls back into a previous character. In this case, as Mr. Heineken , he could almost be his character from the film "The Edge". Rough and ready with a moral code. It's not really bad, I'm just weary of it. There is no character depth which I feel is required for a film such as this. So, not a solidly entertaining movie experience for this film buff.

Chappie [Blu-ray]
Chappie [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dev Patel
Price: $12.49
79 used & new from $3.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Chapped, June 19, 2015
This review is from: Chappie [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Can I believe how bad this film was ? Yes. Because I watched it , until my brain was turned into mush.

Unforgiven (1992)
Unforgiven (1992)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best westerns....ever., May 30, 2015
This review is from: Unforgiven (1992) (Amazon Video)
"Unforgiven" (which is not the only film with this title) is the culmination of almost every western film Clint Eastwood has ever done. The film is a sort of stopping point for Eastwood within the western genre. And, because of these factors, it is a masterpiece. Eastwood's character, William Money , is reformed of all his wickedness as a once notorious gunslinger. But, within his character, as with many of us, lies dormant the potential for our old nature to resurface. He actually plays two characters, and how they unfold is what makes for classic cinema entertainment.

Eastwood, who also directed, puts a good amount of subtleties in the film that address questions about how people behaved and spoke in the old west. In some cases it's done with an ever so light bit of humour, enough to make you think about life in the 1800s long after the movie is over. Easily capable of subsequent viewings. I could spend hours writing about the film, but my words couldn't fully encapsulate the sheer brilliance of the film. Watch it in all is glory whenever you can. "Don't worry kid, I ain't gonna kill you, your the only friend I got."

Cut Bank
Cut Bank
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch, May 28, 2015
This review is from: Cut Bank (Amazon Video)
I liked the acting in this film but the storyline wasn't very compelling. What an assembly of great actors. Watching them work together was a treat. The rural setting had the right feel to it. The film has a slow paced weirdness and that adds to making it ultimately forgettable when it comes to the folksy murder/mystery genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18