Profile for Howard L Lambert > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 152

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Howard L Lambert RSS Feed (Lemoore, California United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Origin 8 Road Saddle - Black
Origin 8 Road Saddle - Black
Offered by Bike A Mile
Price: $21.00
21 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars rock hard...at first. Ugly., September 3, 2011
This review is from: Origin-8 Pro Road Saddle
The padding is marginal in the buns areas, but very thin in front of that. The first day I rode on it, it felt extremely hard (compared to my old 80s Vetta), but it seemed softer the next day. The channel between the pads is a plus, but just don't buy this seat based on the "gel" hype because it kinda implies it's more comfortable than it is.

Proper personal setup is crucial. Don't be a fashion victim and just set the seat the way it looks cool. It first has to feel good...even if that means pulling it forward or slightly angling it down.

I'm not an avid cyclist - only ride short distances, but I think I could get used to this seat. Anything over 5 miles and I might want to get something with more cushioning.

People are complaining about the new logo placement, but I don't mind it on top...actually, I think it looks pretty cool.

UPDATE: When I first bought this, I though it was a good looking low-profile road saddle...but, the more I looked at it, the uglier it got. Now, I think it's quite weird looking; kinda like a birds beak or something. Subtracted another star for bad styling.

Addonics ADIDESA 150 Mbps IDE to Serial ATA Converter
Addonics ADIDESA 150 Mbps IDE to Serial ATA Converter
Price: $25.90
19 used & new from $4.75

3.0 out of 5 stars didn't wanna recognize...then did, July 26, 2011
I have a new all SATA comp running Win7 and I wanted to access stuff from an old strictly data IDE drive (formatted in XP).

The converter card arrived looking like it was pulled out of a dumpster and run over by a car (nothing like the pretty pics), with dust and scratches all over the board. The sata and power cable connectors are also disturbingly flimsy in their attachment/placement. Some of the soldered wires are so long, they touch the HD's metal casing (you must either put tape on them or file them down so you don't short the computer). The LED is cool but not necessary.

There are no instructions. Of course, you must attach the SATA cable and power cable to the adapter, but YOU ALSO NEED TO ATTACH ANOTHER POWER CABLE TO THE ACTUAL DRIVE.

So I hook it all up and boot. Win7 tells me it installed the driver, but the HD doesn't get recognized. I rescan in disk management, but no sign of the drive. I turned off the comp, removed and reattached the cables to the adapter (making sure they are secure) and rebooted...still no new drive letter. Finally, I repeated that last step and, when I rebooted, the drive was recognized.

This converter is sketchy overall, so I'm gonna transfer all the files and retire this card as quickly as possible...but it does work and the data transfer rate is actually quite fast (fast enough to run uncompressed avi movies without a glitch).

Nasswalk Real Skin All American Whoppers Super Flexible Dong,  6 1/2-Inch
Nasswalk Real Skin All American Whoppers Super Flexible Dong, 6 1/2-Inch
Offered by Green Web Inc
Price: $11.37
14 used & new from $6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars FALSE ADVERTISING!!!, June 29, 2011
I've owned many "real skin" type products (UR3, Cyberskin, etc)...and the "American Whopper" is not.

This product looks realistic, but that's as far as it goes. The material is extremely hard and reminds me of the latex used for sex toys in the 80's. For the cheap price, I may have been able to overlook the unpleasant consistency...if the packaging didn't have "Feels like real skin!" written on it in several places. False advertising!!!

With the stars & stripes packaging and name, Nasswalk also tries to portray this product as all American...when, in fact, it's 100% made in China.

Portal 2 - PC
Portal 2 - PC
Offered by Digitalville
Price: $15.68
61 used & new from $6.40

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, June 4, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Portal 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Portal 2 is both a sequel and a prequel.

At the beginning, I was afraid the female "Glados" was discontinued, replaced by an uninteresting male glados and an another, annoying (but often funny), male british voice ("Wheatley")...fortunately, the female glados makes an encore appearance throughout the middle of the game.

In the earlier-middle parts of the game, I was annoyed by several verbal references to the game being almost near the end. Why try to bum the player out? STFU and let me play the game to the end...if the game is any good, I'll know when it's almost over without any anyone telling me.

The graphics in P2 are much more elaborate and the backgrounds are infinitely deeper/more grand than the original, but the beginning of this sequel is weak. It takes quite a while to get some thought provoking puzzles going...and then it's totally on.

Most of the puzzles are brilliant. Many of them had me thinking I would never be able to solve them...but I always did. One of my obstacles was "easter egg" rooms I thought might be part of the puzzle...they aren't. Valve also includes a bunch of new techniques (light paths, light tunnels, gels, etc) that can make you forget you can use the portals, just by themselves, on the walls and floors. Don't be distracted by secret rooms, cracked glass and the new stuff...it's all about the portals.

Didn't particularly like the ending, as I like to take my time figuring out the puzzles. I also could have done without parts of P2 that just have you running around a bunch of stairs listening to a bunch of useless dialogue (and not that funny) - they have little to do with the story and nothing to do with puzzles.

Bottom line: Don't give up!!! (you will hate yourself if you look up a walk-through).

Hertel "Super Hot Sauce" All Temperature Ski and Snowboard Wax, 3/4 lb Brick
Hertel "Super Hot Sauce" All Temperature Ski and Snowboard Wax, 3/4 lb Brick
Offered by Hertel Ski/Snowboard Wax All Temperature
Price: $20.95

3.0 out of 5 stars very porous, kinda sneaky, May 25, 2011
This looks like a massive brick, but, once you stick it to the iron, you see it's actually quite aerated/porous. Pretty clever marketing trick...but still rather deceiving.

Hertel wax is good quality, but you can get 2 batons of Toko universal bulk wax, totaling over one pound, for about the same price as a 3/4 lb hertel brick...the Toko ends up a slightly better value. Whether or not Toko is a better all-temp wax is debatable, but Toko is completely dense (practically no air bubbles), so the product is smaller with the same net weight.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 10:04 AM PST

Levi's Men's 501 Shrink To Fit Jean
Levi's Men's 501 Shrink To Fit Jean
Price: $17.99 - $74.00

4.0 out of 5 stars wash hot, line dry, May 25, 2011
I agree with the previous reviewer (Great Faulkner's Ghost) , getting the right size (bigger) and washing in very hot water the first few times is the way to get the very best fit in Levi's 501 STF. In fact, I actually boil pots of water to put in my washing machine because my water heater doesn't get hot enough.

Another suggestion is to tumble them once, on highest heat, to shrink them, but, then always hang/line dry after that. Dryers tumble jeans to the point they become soft very quickly - that lack of rigidity makes for a too uniform/bland fading. Keeping that original rigidity as long as possible makes the wrinkles wear and contrast better...giving the most personalized/custom look.

I wear them about 4 days or more before washing (by then, the outside of the jean is pretty dirty anyhow)

Andy Summers: Guitar (DVD / Booklet)
Andy Summers: Guitar (DVD / Booklet)
DVD ~ Andy Summers
Price: $17.15
29 used & new from $9.20

3.0 out of 5 stars some basic pop...& tons of ultra advanced jazz, April 7, 2011
I bought this because I'm a big Police fan. Most any mortal would be impressed by Andy's monstrous music knowledge, but, unfortunately, on this DVD, Andy kinda downplays the Police and instead made an ultra advanced jazz clinic.

PROS:
* Talks about/illustrates his unorthodox approach to chords within the pop genre
* Teaches the progressions to a few police hits (probably the ones he contributed to most, since we know Sting developed most of Police's core song ideas) and even plays cool live segments of them with his most recent trio

CONS:
* Most of the material is extremely advanced jazz and discussed as if he were talking to advanced players
* Andy's guitar has no dots/fret markers, so watching him play on-screen is relatively useless (fortunately, a booklet is included)
* He also has an annoying habit of monotone grunting while he plays...fine for stage, but not good for close proximity instruction

Fuzz Universe
Fuzz Universe
Price: $15.46
32 used & new from $8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy Classic Rock, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Fuzz Universe (Audio CD)
Never bought any PG recordings before this, but I've heard all his instrumentals and this CD, overall, sounds the best composed to me (must admit the new guitar and haircut helped me pull the trigger - cool CD cover).

Aside from the obvious influences (Hendrix, EVH, Yngwie...although, closer to Vinnie Moore), I hear a little bit of Reb Beach, Alex Lifeson, Townsend, Trower, Edgar Winter and, of course, Rundgren. This album isn't so much neo-classical as it is just groovy, classic rock & roll.

Unlike a lot of other shred albums, Paul doesn't overdo much here. The compositions are developed, tight and, most importantly, catchy. The solos are very musical, not just variations of a long diatonic scale. The effects are subtle - mostly different versions of "fuzz", flanger and roto, but only used when needed for contrast. Sporadic use of organ/keys isn't new to Paul's music, but really used well here, adding a lot of atmosphere to those blues influenced arrangements.

There are 12 tracks, making for long play time/value. I'm very happy with this purchase and it'll get played plenty. Four and a half stars (rounded up).

Paul Gilbert: Intense Rock, Vol. 1 and 2
Paul Gilbert: Intense Rock, Vol. 1 and 2
DVD ~ Paul Gilbert
Price: $22.38
44 used & new from $15.41

2.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, but disorganized, August 30, 2010
Part 1 of this DVD is crammed with standard shred licks...but not much in the way of how, when and where to use them. In that respect, it's one of the more disorganized guitar instructional videos I've seen. Despite Paul's youth and enthusiasm,, the material gets relatively advanced rather quickly (and he can play the licks so fast and perfect, it's just as discouraging as inspirational).

In Part 2, he sporadically mentions things that would be aimed at relative beginners...which definitely doesn't belong on these videos. On the other hand, Example #7 is so much more intricate/difficult than anything else on this disk, it seems out of place. The best thing on the whole disk are the 2-note per string/string skipping arpeggios (wish I woulda started practicing those 10 years ago). There are a couple of other cool licks, but the video ends up a mess of a lot of talking...my mind wandered.

Before attempting to play along, you should already know all the major scale modes and the melodic minor scale. Your alternate picking should already be very controlled/synchronized and you should be experienced with string skipping. It also contains some extreme finger stretches/intervals that a lot of people might never be able to do (a shorter scale neck or extraordinary long fingers will come in handy here).

If you don't already have the skills mentioned above, I highly recommend Don Latarski's "Guitar Theory Basics" and Frank Gambale's "Chopbuilder" be bought first. Sequentially, they'll introduce you to all the basic mode fingerings and get your alternate picking, control and speed somewhat closer to Paul's level.

Bell Self Sealing Inner Tube, Black, 27-Inch
Bell Self Sealing Inner Tube, Black, 27-Inch
Price: $8.00
17 used & new from $5.79

1.0 out of 5 stars poor sealant tech / questionable QC, August 22, 2010
I bought 2 of these tubes. One worked fine out of the box, the other had a leaky valve that I couldn't do anything with because the cap/tool won't budge it (I hate the BS it takes to return garbage products).

When I got a thorn ("goat head") in the the good tube, it started a slow leak, but I was able to get home by leaving the thorn in. Once I took the thorn out (it was only half the 1/8 inch diameter limit)), all the air escaped, along with some liquid goop ("slime"). Within 15 minutes the hole had sealed and I could re-inflate. The next day, it was flat again. The sealant isn't permanent - you eventually have to patch the hole.

The Bell "Airstrike" bike pump I bought at the same time was also completely useless, so, all things considered, I'm giving 1 star.

Bell should stick to helmets because over 50% of everything else they now make is plastic garbage (they are an environmental disaster all their own). If I hadn't have found an unused Bell helmet at the local thrift store for $2, I would have avoided this brand altogether.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16