Profile for Michael M. Choi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael M. Choi "herjazz-ebay" RSS Feed (New York, NY 10017)

Page: 1 | 2
Dorman 674-551 Exhaust Manifold
Dorman 674-551 Exhaust Manifold
Price: $121.00
32 used & new from $81.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect fit, but for the price it'll do, June 2, 2014
674-551 is supposed to fit the Hyundai Beta 1.8L 4-cylinder DOHC engine commonly found on Tiburon and Elantra. I have a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon 1.8L.

Compared to the stock unit, this is two pieces instead of 1-piece. I see this as a plus, as my original stock one cracked at the weld between the pre-cat and the manifold section when I hit the mother of all NYC potholes (yes the bottom of the assembly touched the ground!). So I was looking for a replacement. Stock Hyundai from the dealer can be had for about $250 online. Dorman, which is sold in major auto parts retailers such as Advance or Pep Boys, is much cheaper at around $120 online. So I said what the heck an ordered it from Amazon.com.

First, the packaging was terrible. Granted, the box was two layers of thick corrugated cardboard, but everything in the box was UNSECURED and just rattling around!!! I was surprised to find no cracks (at least not visible upon inspection), so I let it fly. But seriously... no styrofoam or cardboard packing inside to secure the contents. Seemed really strange!

Next, what's included is
A. the 2 parts of the assembly: the pre-cat and the manifold. It also comes with 3 gaskets:
1. gasket between those 2 sections,
2. gasket between engine head and manifold,
3. and gasket between rest of the exhaust pipe/system and the bottom of the pre-act).
B. 4 Bolts to assemble the 2 sections are included. 2 bolts to secure the rest of the exhaust pipe to the assembly is included.

That is it. So it DOES NOT include the bolts / nuts to secure the manifold to your engine head. You could reuse your old nuts if they were removed cleanly, I suppose, but it's recommended to replace them as they have been exposed to so much heat already and weaker than when they left the factory back in 2000. Otherwise it's a nice complete kit, saving you money and time.

The inside walls of the manifold is rough. Definitely not a performance header/manifold... But this is my daily driver/beater car so I don't care-- but I thought I'd mention it because I looked at it and shook my head.

However, the BIGGEST downside of this is that it is not a perfect fit where the end of the pre-cat meets the rest of your exhaust pipe/system. It is angled slightly down and shorter than the stock unit. So what you need to do to make it fit is remove one of the metal hangers at the end of the exhaust pipe so that the pipe itself can drop about 3/4 - 1" to meet the assembly. In addition, the pipe needs to be shifted towards the front of the car about 1", which is possible due to the rubber hangers and the flex pipe, but I don't feel that great about putting so much tension in that piping. That's my biggest installation tip that will save you a lot of time and headache.

If you are fine with that as the biggest downside of this product, then go ahead and buy it. Else, order an OEM Hyundai unit from the dealer...

Smith Optics Scope Goggle (Black Frame, RC36 Lens)
Smith Optics Scope Goggle (Black Frame, RC36 Lens)
Offered by Fred's Marine
Price: $39.99
11 used & new from $38.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible for the price, but the lens scratches WAY too easily., March 21, 2014
This review is from: Smith Optics Scope Goggle (Sports)
For the price (as low as ~$30 if you choose your color lens that way), it's actually not that bad. It has features of higher-end goggles, such as vents on the top and bottom, decent peripheral view, comfortable medium/medium-large size, lightweight, flexible, silicon on the strap to prevent it from slipping on your helmet, goggle bag...

However, where they cut corners must have been in the lens material or coating. One day on a very windy and very cold and wet snowy day, I got some ice on the goggles. I wiped it away with the included goggle bag. From then on, I have a scratch that simply does not go away (and at a very annoying spot right in front of my right eye so everything there is distorted/blurry so I'm snowboarding with just my left eye, essentially...!) when I brought it back home and tried to wipe with microfiber cloth with water. And there were lots of tiny scratches all over from my one wiping that I did that one day... The person with the 1-star review here also mentioned that they are not to be wiped when cold, else they scratch... Uh, we are out on the mountains during the winter, and it sometimes rains or snows-- it's cold out there Mr. Smith Optics...!

So I had to throw out the goggles (replacement lens costs $35-40 which is more than what I paid for the goggles, so of course it's not worth it). As a replacement, I got Electric Goggles EGB2 and although that one doesn't have the silicone on the strap (didn't realize that's such a useful feature!) like this one, it is far superior in every other way--- at about 2-3x the price, of course... I guess expensive goggles are expensive for a reason...

Holmes S1708PDQ-U Humidifier Bacteriostat
Holmes S1708PDQ-U Humidifier Bacteriostat
Price: $7.99
6 used & new from $7.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works! No growth on my wick filter any more!, January 25, 2014
Like everyone else I have a Vornada evaporative humidifier that basically uses a wick filter that soaks up water and holds it until the fan on top sucks it and circulates it into the room. Problem is, the wick retains the water so when it's off the water on the wick is prime breeding ground for growth of bacteria mildew and other nasty stuff. I had to change my filter almost weekly!!

So I put a capful of this bacteriostat for every gallon of tap water (New York city water: not particularly hard or soft) after filling up my tank. It doesn't have any noticeable smell. But wow, I have now gone about 2 months (that's 8 weeks!!) without having to change my filter and I didn't even clean my tank either just to experiment. No growth or smell nothing nasty in my dehumifier that used to require weekly filter change and clearing. Amazing...

I just wanted to see how long I could go without changing/cleaning but I wouldn't recommend not cleaning for two months haha. But it looks like I can go longer...!

3/22/2014 Edit: I am still on my first set of wick filters and although it doesn't smell bad, the top 1/2 inch has now turned a bit brown. So I have gone almost FOUR months without ever cleaning the humidifier or changing the wick. Just simply putting a capful for every gallon of tap water and away I go. W.O.W. I am just flabbergasted at how well this thing works! I used to change my wick EVERY WEEK (5-7 days) with weekly cleanings. I just went 4 months, folks...

Trico 47-700 7mm Break to Fit Narrow Refill - 15" to 22" (Sold as Pair)
Trico 47-700 7mm Break to Fit Narrow Refill - 15" to 22" (Sold as Pair)
Price: $6.99
13 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 7mm Trapezoid works in Bosch Excel Micro-Edge Blades (+Video), January 18, 2014
These days it's hard to find just the rubber refills at a retail auto parts store: they want you to replace the whole blade, which may be easier, but it costs more and it's not as environmentally friendly since you're throwing out a perfectly good wiper blade (the metal part) when all that's needed to replace is the rubber part.

I made a quick how-to video on replacing the rubber on Bosch Excel Micro-Edge (similar method applies to most "frame" type wiper blades):

[...]

Due to the length of the part, Amazon ships this in a HUGE long box that weighs next to nothing. I wished they had just put it in a tube mailer... It's a quality part from a known brand, and I replace my rubber blades twice a year so it's much more economical than buying a pair of full replacement blades.

Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)
Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)
Price: $78.49
49 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Price for Genuine Apple Adapter is through Amazon, August 27, 2012
As you might be thinking too, I also looked around and considered buying from eBay or a used adapter as my spare for my MacBook Pro Retina 15"... So if you do your research you know that there are a lot of fakes out there and imitations that are sub-par in quality and could damage your $2500 laptop or worse, cause an electric fire and burn down your house... So I decided to get a genuine Apple one. Amazon right now has it cheaper than the Apple Store, at $73.99 (versus $79.99), so it's a no-brainer, being a Prime member, to order through Amazon for the 2-Day shipping and it came quickly. Sales tax in NY is unavoidable, and so my final cost was just a hair above $80 all told.

Little Piano (Pro)
Little Piano (Pro)
Price: $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. No chords and guitar sound buggy., December 29, 2011
This review is from: Little Piano (Pro) (App)
Terrible. You can't press more ethan one key at a time so you can't play chords! Also if you choose guitar sound you can barely hear it over the hum from the terribly amateur audio file. It's as if a 4 year old programmed this app. Just terrible. Uninstalling now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2012 5:15 PM PST

Order & Chaos Online (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Order & Chaos Online (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is *NOT* for an Android Phone (only Kindle Fire!!!!), December 23, 2011
(I thought I'd write this review as it seems unclear from Amazon's description. Please vote this up so others can see this, thanks.)

This App from the Amazon AppStore is ONLY for the Kindle Fire. Not your Android phone. Not your Samsung Galaxy Tab. Not your rooted Nook Tablet. Only the Kindle Fire. Hence "Kindle Fire Edition."

I have a (international version, unlocked) Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) with an AT&T SIM right now and I'm running the phone version of this game. The only way to get Gameloft's game for the Android PHONE is to go directly to their site and download the .apk and install them that way. It is not available in the Android Market, or Amazon AppStore. (You have to enable downloads and installs of non-Market applications in your settings to install APKs directly).

In any case, the game itself: I'm running the game perfectly fine on my Galaxy S2 (1.2GHz dual core, 4.3" screen). It drains battery really fast, so be sure to be plugged in if you're doing any serious quest runs or raids. However, it doesn't eat that much data (and works over 3G and "4G" (HSPA+ on AT&T on my phone)) without lag. Graphics are very smooth and not jumpy. Overall feel and artwork is just like Blizzard's World of Warcraft, which I've played for 2-3 years (quit 5 years ago). It's amazing how great this looks on a mobile phone, and how playable it is. Think of it as "WoW Mobile". Without some of the tedious tasks associated with WoW (if you played WoW, you know what I mean: Rep grinding; 10, 20, 40 man raids...)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2014 12:13 PM PST

Tiny Flashlight + LED
Tiny Flashlight + LED
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very flexible and customizable Flashlight App, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Tiny Flashlight + LED (App)
Very flexible as it works on a variety of phones. I have a phone (LG Optimus One P500) without a front camera or a LED flash, so it knows now to show those options. And on my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S II i9100) all the functions work very well. I also like the widget that lets you turn on the LED flash with one click right from the home screen. Overall a very flexible and simple app.

Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
Offered by BuyAutoTruckAccessories
Price: $194.06
29 used & new from $155.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Optimas in General = Great. Shipping by UPS / Packaging by Amazon = Terrible., June 16, 2011
Optimas in general are great batteries. They last a really long time compared to other batteries and really takes extreme temperatures and harsh environments (stiff suspension in sports sedan and terrible pot-hole ridden streets of NYC) well. I had run down a redtop about 10 times (which I know is *terrible* for a battery) and yet after 5 years it still starts the car up every time, whereas normal non-deep discharge batteries can only take 1 or 2 deep discharges before they give up and die.

In any case, as other reviewers have pointed out, I need to comment on Amazon's packaging of this battery and UPS's handling of this battery. More Amazon's fault that UPS, since they just put the battery in a thin carboard box WITHOUT ANY PACKING MATERIALS. It literally was: the battery put inside a (thin) cardboard box, taped up and sent to UPS for a beating. NOT A SINGLE PACKING PEANUT or brown paper or newspaper or Sealed-Air bag thingies. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Just the battery hanging out in the box. Epic FAIL.

So of course, it arrived with the cardboard box ripped, the corner plastic base cracked, and one of the cells on the corner cracked and exposed to the air. (Just like another reviewer here said!).

I just went directly to UPS and filed a claim. They asked to see the broken battery and box, so they took it back and refunded me the amount of the item.

I wouldn't buy Optimas from Amazon. Just get it at your local store or online at a different place. I got mine at a different online vendor (prob. can't put in a URL here: the site is 1st-optima-batteries dot come), and that thing came packed like it was ready to be dropped out of a helicopter from 30 feet above the ground-- very well packed in one of those "expanding foam" things and thick 3-layer cardboard box.

Love my Optima RedTop --> WIN
Hate Amazon's "duh" packing of a 35-40lb battery without any packing materials --> EPIC FAIL
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2012 8:41 PM PDT

simplehuman Adjustable Corner Stainless Steel Shower Caddy
simplehuman Adjustable Corner Stainless Steel Shower Caddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not made for tubs with thin ledges, February 22, 2011
this is a good product and only product of its type and quality. however, it does not work on all tubs. for example, my tub: the back of the tub is wide enough, but the sides of the tub is too thin (about an inch) and the rubber "feet" is in the middle of the feet and not adjustable, so it doesn't stay on the ledge of the tub.

i tried to hack it by raising the rubber cushion on the bottom of the "spine" to take the load off the feet, but it's now angled forward so everything on the shelves slide forward and sometimes fall. it's too big to return, but it's too expensive ($60) not too. i'm in an dilemma but will probably end up returning it. (i bought it at bed bath & beyond, not amazon, so no shipping this bulky thing, but still need to carry it to the store).

but nothing else compares to the function of this one (i don't want one that hangs from the shower head, and i don't want one that has a huge pole that goes to the ceiling, and suction cup mounts always fall). calling on entrepreneurs to seize a business opportunity! :)

Page: 1 | 2