Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Ruth Daigon > Reviews

Browse

Ruth Daigon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ruth Daigon RSS Feed (CORTE MADERA, CA United States)

When There Is No Shore
When There Is No Shore
by Vivian Shipley
22 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars from a fan in Northern California, November 13, 2002
This review is from: When There Is No Shore (Hardcover)
Vivian Shipley's latest book "When There Is No Shore" is a revelation. Her poetry is a statement of soul. Time binds each poem to the next creating a gorgeous rhythm that wraps you around and won't let go. This is not a book that you can flip through. Every poem is linked to the preceding one and there is no escape from the logic of where she is going and why. Whether she is describing the family farm, Harlan County or the blues running on Long Island Sound, she makes no settlement. "If you're dead you were dead" This toughness often brutal and relentless in its honesty still maintains humor, love and a memorable beauty. Both death and love hold the reader by the hand and won't let go. An entire life undulates through the pages of this book unselfconsciously and you feel yourself swept along with Shipley as she attaches herself to you. Even though our backgrounds are totally different, she is a southern product, a refugee from farm life, hard work and poverty, and I come from a family of Russian Jewish immigrants who ran from the tsar and his pograms, our connection is poweful and inescapable. I suspect it happens to everyone who reads this book. Using rich, auditory images, she lashes us together and creates a relationship, a deep understanding and tolerance for each other. We are both colored in earth tones. Tradition plays an important role in our lives even in the preparation of food, in our simple language and the myths we create.

Yoga Poems: Lines to Unfold
Yoga Poems: Lines to Unfold
by Leza Lowitz
37 used & new from $3.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A RESPONSE TO YOGA POEMS, August 5, 2000
WHEN I PICKED UP LEZA LOWITZ'S "YOGA POEMS" IT FIT PERFECTLY IN MY HAND IN A REAL INVITATION TO ENTER...THE GRACEFUL ILLUSTRATIONS... THE PAPER AND PRINT... A FITTING FRAME FOR THE WORK WITHIN. I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT YOGA BUT I WAS MESMERIZED BY THE WORDS FLOWING DOWN THE PAGE LIKE MUSIC...NOT ONLY THE THE SOUND BUT THE SENSE AS WELL. THE METAPHORS ARE GORGEOUS. I FELT A KIND OF ENCHANTMENT BECAUSE AS A SINGER SO MUCH OF THE EXERCISE AND PHILOSPHY BEHIND YOGA ARE WHAT A SINGER PURSUES ALL HER LIFE. I COULD FEEL THE BREATH RISING TO FILL THE BODY, THE SOUND FLOWING THROUGH THE BLOODSTREAM, THOUGHT, ALWAYS THOUGHT PRODUCING THE ULTIMATE BEAUTY AND PROMISE OF THE MUSIC. ONE NEVER REACHES FOR OR MANUFACTURES A SOUND OR AN EMOTION. ONE THINKS AND IT IS THERE. IT TAKES SO MUCH CONCENTRATION AND REPETITION UNTIL NEAR PERFECTION IS ACHEIVED AND WHEN THAT HAPPENS IT IS A SUPREME MOMENT. ALL THROUGH LOWITZ'S BOOK I EXPERIENCED AGAIN MY PREPARATION AS A SINGER AND ISN'T THAT WHAT POETRY IS MEANT TO DO.... TO MAKE THE READER RELIVE A PARALLEL EXPERIENCE, TO APPROACH IT FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE, TO SEE AND FEEL ANEW.... ENRICHED...AND THAT IS WHAT THIS BEAUTIFUL BOOK CREATED FOR ME.

Pianos Around the Cape
Pianos Around the Cape
by Glenna Luschei
16 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A RESPONSE TO PIANOS AROUND THE CAPE, August 4, 2000
This review is from: Pianos Around the Cape (Paperback)
My immediate response to "Pianos Around the Cape" is to borrow Glenna Luschei's remarkable phrase:"dashing from beauty to beauty" There is such diversity in her poetry and the ability to catch the essence of thoughts and emotions common to humanity. The "seemingly simple" style tends to make the reader forget what skill and craft lie behind all of this generous outpouring.....there is honesty, deceny and celebratory music in her poetry plus the underlying humor and ability to see things as they are. Is her work serious and often tragic? Yes but it is but it is also moving and affective without a hint of sentimentality. It would be difficult to single out lines or phrases that captivated me, but the following have been set in memory:"Flaws make us perfect."...."rocking chair, oh mesadora/ I rock myself on one arm/ my children on the other"....."we are lodged in the whale of the Andes? Lighting a new life/somewhere outside is the sea." Glenna Luschei has the ability to capture the moment that becomes our moment and makes us re-examine parallel incidents in our own live and find new meaning in them.

The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme
The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme
by Marge Piercy
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars In Praise of the Passion and Beauty in "The Art of...", April 14, 1999
I've just finished reading "The Art Of Blessing The Day" for the third time, and every time I read it, I discover something new. There is so much depth and so many levels of meaning that each reading seems like the first for me. It's such a rich, marvelous collection that it's almost impossible to convey how much it affected me. She composed it like a piece of music. Each section has its theme, and moves from poem to poem with so much variation and skill. There's a gorgeous rhythm to her work and the harmonies are equally beautiful. Her voice is like an instrument creating vocative music...elegiac...celebratory...even though pain surfaces from time to time. It's okay! It belongs! She has awakened in me so many memories, and in reliving them through her art, I arrive at new insights, new understandings. The poem about her mother refusing to wear her gifts really struck a chord. When my mother died, I returned home and together with my sisters went through all her stuff systematically, and we simply wept when we saw every gift we had ever given her over the years was wrapped in tissue paper and had never been worn. We could almost hear her voice saying "Es eez tzu goot far mihr" "It's too good for me. I am unworthy". That is a terrible weapon wielded by our mothers.You can't give them anything...but that's an old story and she tells it so well. To return to the music in Piercy's poetry: she begins with a fanfare "The Art of Blessing...."and I know what's coming but she continues to astonish me with the variety of rhythms, the way one poem flows subtly and skillfully into the next. She moves from lyric passages to sophisticated tempos, witty interludes, a few jazz riffs, and the tension and tone doesn't allow me to sit back and relax because even in the quieter poems there is such depth and power. My god! Where does all that energy come from? It must be exhausting for her but exhilerating for the reader. Her passion and belief strike a very deep chord in me, and, I'm certain, in anyone who reads this moving and generous collection. Thank you, Marge Piercy, for the many wonderful hours I spent with you "In the Art of Blessing the Day" and all of those still to come.
Ruth Daigon

Curved Space (National Poetry Book Series, 1998)
Curved Space (National Poetry Book Series, 1998)
by Susan Terris
Price: $10.00
15 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars my response to this excellent poetry collection, March 12, 1998
Susan Terris's "Curved Space"is a stunning achievement. She is a remarkably connected poet, with freshness of vision, skill and intelligence Her poems not only reflect , her conviction and integrity but the ability to transform all of these superlative qualities into poetry thatn enchant her readers. "Curved Space" is overflowing with rigorously crafted, strongly felt poetry that is also earthy, celebratory and full of wisdom. Her immense knowledge and imagination lend authenticity to her work. There are so many layers, so many levels to explore and a fearlessness that makes white rafting, shooting rapids and mountain climbing seem like child's play. "Curved Space" is a work of immense courage, sensitivity and God-given talent that make every page of this book an adventure, a pleasure and a discovery. Ruth Daigon (editor of Poets On:) author of "Between One Future And the Next" (Papier-Mache Press).

In A Cold Open Field
In A Cold Open Field
by Sheila Solomon Klass
Price: $22.95
44 used & new from $3.41

4.0 out of 5 stars admiration for sheila klass's work, October 12, 1997
This review is from: In A Cold Open Field (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of Sheila Solomon Klass for overr 30 years. We first met in Greenwich Village. I listened to her hilarious stories and thought "If she could only translate the spoken words...the stories she told so well (the language, the pace, the warmth, the humor) into written words, she would be more than successful. And she has done just just that according to the long list of her publications. "In A Cold Open Field" is a triumph for Sheila Solomon Klass. She combines all the strengths and virtues of her previous novels... her understanding, sympathy and ability to describe beautifully the human condition whether it occurs in Brooklyn, India or back in the early days of the america West. Her latest novel about the gypsy who cheats the mother of her hard-earned savings is hilarious and tragic all at the same time. I picked up the book and didn't put it down until the last page. Sheila Solomon Klass has given me many hours of pleasure, sustenance and fun.. thank you Sheila.. Ruth Daigon

Beside the Sleeping Maiden: Poets of Marin
Beside the Sleeping Maiden: Poets of Marin
by CB Follett
Price: $22.00
27 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A very positive respone to "Beside The sleeping Maiden", September 11, 1997
C.B.Follett's "Beside The Sleeping Maiden" is cause for rejoicing. She has gathered poetry and art work reflecting the creative spirit alive in Marin County. It is a coming together of the varied elements making up the rich, spiritual/aesthetic soup that nourishes so many Marinites.This is a feast that will satisfy the appetites of sophisticated as well as general readers, and it is served up in a handsome, imaginative and generous volume that will grace any bookshelf.

................Ruth Daigon, editor of "Poets On: