Profile for D. Higgins > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Higgins "Code Farmer" RSS Feed (Boston, Mass)

Plan Ahead 72469 Celtic Journal
Plan Ahead 72469 Celtic Journal
Offered by Farm & Home Supply Center
Price: $9.17
5 used & new from $9.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave me the wrong item, November 19, 2013
I got a journal with a different image on the cover than this one. Pretty boring cover too. It may have been an oversight on their part.

Wilson F1780 GST Composite Game Football (Official Size)
Wilson F1780 GST Composite Game Football (Official Size)
Price: $29.29
14 used & new from $26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Best non-real leather football out there., September 13, 2011
This review is from: GST Composite Football (Misc.)
I buy a LOT of different footballs, pretending my lack of good QB skills is the balls fault, and not mine. I prefer the hard leather balls, but my receivers do not. I LOVED this ball. There is one like it, NFL Ultimate Official Composite Football - Mens [..]

But this one here has the tracking stripes that make tracking it through the air so much easier. I love this football!

Dan

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer
HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer
Offered by Genuine Discounters
Price: $269.99
121 used & new from $81.00

979 of 1,051 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars From a dedicated apple fan... This IS a good device, July 2, 2011
I'm an admitted mac guy, I have the iPhone 4, iPad, Macbook Pro, etc...

I have to share my support now with the HP TouchPad. The webOS 3.0 is really pretty amazing. I didn't think it would make much of a difference in the use of a tablet, but it's outstanding, and here's why:

1) The integration of so many mainstream services used today. (they probably have some fancy term for this concept)
2) Flash plays well
3) Services missing on the iPad like Grooveshark and Amazon's cloud music all work.

First, the services:
On my TouchPad, I setup my
Email (yahoo, google, and microsoft exchange)
Skype
Dropbox
AIM
LinkedIn
Facebook
(there were others, but I don't use snapfish, and photobucket, etc... even a "find others")

I love this integration of all these mainstream services! It's really clever.

While my iPad seems very app-centric, webOS 3.0 feels more like "the matrix has you". It takes your online world and puts it into the tablet. I love that. All of those websites I often interact with get glued together seamlessly so I feel like I'm "jacked in".

A major strength of the TouchPad is the web functionality that won't work on the iPad. For example, I ran Amazon's cloud music player and Grooveshark just fine (awesome!).

On the down side, the apps are slim, but trust me, they will be coming fast and furious over the next year, like a modern-age gold rush. As someone who has ported over my C++ game engine and product ( atPeace ) to TouchPad from IOS, I can tell you that it was pretty easy, and others will certainly follow. This version 1 of the product is the closest any tablet is to competing with Apple, developers will soon be pouring over.

My only real gripe is not having NetFlix working with it yet. That's coming I'm sure, but something I use on my iPad a lot, and I miss. :(

All in all, I'd say if you want something for business, or to have a tablet built around your online presence, or just a good tablet which can run flash, this might be for you. I still love my iPad, don't get me wrong, but for a long time I didn't see why anyone was realistically imagining they could compete with the iPad. I mean, Apple does it sooooo well. Well, now I understand why. WebOS 3.0.

Don't discount this device, it's got great potential. We finally a good competitor for Apple in the tablet world, which should make both products improve.
Comment Comments (73) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2012 11:31 AM PST

Wilson F1845 NFL Ultimate Composite Game Football (Official Size)
Wilson F1845 NFL Ultimate Composite Game Football (Official Size)
Price: $16.62
10 used & new from $16.62

5.0 out of 5 stars For a twenty something dollar ball, there is no better bargin., January 31, 2011
In a 40 team adult flag football league, we have the best QB. He uses this ball, so I tried it out too. It's great for indoor football. I have $60, and 100$ footballs, but I'm using this for indoor. When it comes to outdoor, it's likely to get roughed up more and I'll use a different ball, but I love this one.

I've only had this ball a week, but very happy with it. (and I have about 6 footballs).

AI Game Programming Wisdom (AI Game Programming Wisdom (W/CD))
AI Game Programming Wisdom (AI Game Programming Wisdom (W/CD))
by Steve Rabin
19 used & new from $12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best AI resources, March 7, 2010
Even years later, this is still one of the best AI reference books. Anyone interested in game development would benefit from reading this. It's algorithms, while specific to AI, also are great examples of out-of-the-box thinking needed for modern game development.

Agincourt Unabridged CD
Agincourt Unabridged CD
by Bernard Cornwell
Edition: Audio CD
46 used & new from $2.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, wonderful reading by Charles Keating., September 24, 2009
This review is from: Agincourt Unabridged CD (Audio CD)
Charles Keating is one of, if not the best of today's audio book readers. Listening to this book is like listening to Game of Thrones, only with real historical background. A great story, an incredible tale, and a masterful reading.

Warrior Empire - The Mughals (History Channel)
Warrior Empire - The Mughals (History Channel)
DVD ~ Warrior Empire
Price: $9.16
33 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good on warfare details, July 23, 2009
This documentary went into depth on the Mughal weapons, and their power. Pretty scary to see how their little composite bows stacked up to the long bow. These guys must have been a real terror.

The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition)
The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition)
by Bjarne Stroustrup
Price: $53.04
174 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Barney does it again!, May 22, 1999
When this book came out, my programming partner carried it around like his bible. He constantly qutoed from it, almost to the point of annoyance. A few years later, I have picked up both a love of the Standard C++ library, and also of advanced design techniques of C++. Yes, I was converted!
Stroustrups writing style is excellent, he points out situations where he was incorrect in the past, and gives excellent "Advice" summaries in the end of his chapters. While he covers a great range of material, the pages are thin with small type. :)
I love his writing style, and the advanced techniques within have made me a very effective C++ programmer and designer.