Profile for nickexperience > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

nickexperience RSS Feed

CyberStorm
CyberStorm
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Winter is Coming!, September 25, 2013
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
Read this on a whim based pretty much entirely on it being in the science fiction category and being highly rated. I was not disappointed. I'm generally a fan of noir/post-apocalyptic/futurist Sci-Fi, and this really only tipped one of those interests, but it was a page-turner for me nonetheless. A really quick read, I appreciate the speed with which we are thrust into the meat of the situation. No endless set-up or character development. Ultimately, what is most compelling about this novel is that it is plausible, and plausibility always leads to the most effective post-apocalyptic fiction. Perhaps my only real criticism of the book was that I though it ended rather abruptly. Other than that, a great read and a lot of fun!

LG Cinema Screen 47LM6700 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 60Hz TruMotion LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, finally., June 6, 2012
I received this TV yesterday and have watched it in both full sunlight and near complete darkness situations. Both worked out surprisingly well. In the full sunlight situation, I found that I preferred to set the screen to use LG's Intelligent Sensor. Yes, the screen was very bright and fought off glare well, and yes the picture was a bit oversaturated and the colors weren't perfectly accurate, but you can't ask for perfection in those kinds of lighting conditions. At night, the picture was truly great. I found that the Intelligent Sensor made the picture too dark in these conditions, but found that the Cinema (?) setting worked wonderfully. I definitely prefer a warmer picture to a cooler picture, and the Cinema setting is perfect for that. Other things:

1. The magic remote takes a little getting used to, but I really like it. The only concern is adding another remote into the mix, and I'm not sure how well that functionality would transfer to a universal remote.

2. In terms of apps, most are redundant as I have a WDTV Live and a PS3 hooked up, but the Hulu Plus and Netflix apps worked perfectly for me (via WiFi).

3. More about the picture, I sent back a Samsung UN46EH6000 in return for this LG because the Samsung was having some subtle issues with color reproduction and flashlighting. The Samsung was driving me crazy because it was so close to being really good, but the subtle flaws meant that I was looking for them rather than just enjoying the content. The LG was nearly perfect in these regards! Very, very subtle edge bleed in completely black frames, but no flashlighting and really excellent color reproduction.

4. Obviously, the TV itself looks fantastic.

5. Some may notice that TruMotion on this model is not adjustable! LG has reportedly promised to add this adjustment in a future firmware upgrade, but to be honest, I can wait. Motion looks extremely well represented on the TV as is, another stumbling point for the Samsung.

6. I haven't really tried out the 3D, other than using the 3D button to up-convert 2D programming. It looked OK, but I've never really been a big fan of 3D. Perhaps I'll give it another shot with actual 3D content.

7. The one con I have come across so far is that one of the HDMI ports was cutting in and out. I attribute this to a very thick and sturdy HDMI cable because after replacing the cable, the port worked fine. I would point out though that the ports are a bit flimsy with a little more flex than I would like. It could be an issue as the TV ages.

Overall, at the current price, this TV is pretty much a no-brainer in my opinion. 4.5 *'s.

Update (06/08/12): Now this TV is selling for $899.99! That is a fantastic price on an excellent TV. If you're in the market for a TV at this size, there's no reason not pull the trigger now.

Update (06/18/12): Just wanted to let people know that I called Amazon and they gave me a refund based on the price at the time for this TV. The price dropped to $899.99 from the $999.99 and they agreed to credit my card for the difference.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2012 7:13 AM PDT

Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)
Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great., May 14, 2012
Just got this TV (46") set up yesterday and have been pretty pleased with it. I was excited to find a TV that presented a value proposition like this. The sacrifices I didn't mind making to save some $$$:

I don't need tons of inputs.

I don't need "Smart TV" functionality as I've always found standalone units (like my PS3) to be far more usable and far less frustrating then those embedded in the TV.

I don't care how deep the TV is. It's not going on my wall and I've got plenty of front to back room for the TV. The thin bezel looks great.

At first I was pretty much blown away by the picture quality, which shouldn't be surprising since I was upgrading from a 7 year old 32" 720p Olevia. But I did start to notice something that might ruin this TV for me. In very dark scenes (i.e. when Hulu Plus is loading), I've noticed the dreaded "banding" issue that plagued some of last year's Samsungs. Again, it's only in moments of pervasive darkness, but it is quite noticeable. Now I just have to decide if it's bad enough that it warrants dealing with the hassle of replacing the unit.

Update (06/01/12): I put in a warranty repair request with Samsung to see if the panel can be replaced. Basically, the local repair agency is ordering a replacement panel and will come out to inspect next week. At that point, I'll find out if I have impossible standards for an $850 TV or if the panel is legitimately defective. Either way, I'll update here after.

Update (06/04/12): I activated Comcast HD this weekend and made sure to watch some football replays on B1G Network. Unfortunately, it looked awful. Extremely cool picture quality to the point where whites were essentially just blue. I also noticed more motion issues (judder) regardless of the settings I used. These issues are noted in this review on televisioninfo dot com where the reviewer claims that the EH5000 actually performs significantly better when it comes to motion.

I have delayed the service appointment because I now have the LG 47LM6700 showing up tomorrow. The price came down again and now it's only $100 more. I've read great technical reviews on the picture quality so I'm going to compare the two. If the LG wins, which I'm fully expecting, I'll be taking back the Samsung.

Update (06/06/12): Well, the LG came yesterday and I set it up after work. I was immediately taken with the quality of the picture. In general, compared to the Samsung, the colors looked more accurate to me. As I watched during the evening in almost total darkness, I was really impressed by the utter lack of significant backlight bleeding or flashlighting of any sort. I'm no expert, but the picture looks great to me, and noticeably better than the Samsung. Of course, these TV's seem to be pretty different from set to set, but in this case, the choice is clear: the Samsung is going back today.
Comment Comments (28) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2012 6:11 PM PST

Actiontec Ethernet Over Coax MoCA Adapter - Twin Pack
Actiontec Ethernet Over Coax MoCA Adapter - Twin Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel dumb, February 17, 2011
My experience with these was so frustrating that it prompted me to write my first ever review. I had high hopes for ditching my wireless woes with these adapters, but alas, they never worked for me. First off, as stated elsewhere, the setup guide included with this product is so ridiculously terrible you'd laugh if you weren't crying. Seriously, whoever wrote it needs to take a technical writing class or something. Second, after spending hours trying to find confirmation for exactly how you're supposed to hook these up, I think I had it right. I will refrain from discussing how frustrating it is to search for thorough set-up instructions (I don't have FIOS unfortunately, I have Comcast), and only being met with a series of quotes generally along the lines of, "it was so easy! I had it up and running in minutes!".

In my office:
Coax from the wall -> Actiontec "Coax Network", coax cable from "STB/TV" -> my broadband modem, ethernet cable from modem -> router, ethernet from router -> Actiontec.

In my living room:
Coax from the wall -> Actiontec "Coax Network", ethernet from Actiontec -> PS3

All lights on both Actiontec units were on and green. Router and modem both confirmed working because ethernet from router to computer in office carried internet signal just fine. Cable lines confirmed connected and not running through any amplifiers of any sort. I even called Actiontec's vaunted {sarcasm} tech support located in beautiful India. The guy was very nice, but basically just confirmed that everything was set up correctly. Long story long, my PS3 never seemed to get an internet signal and would not connect. 6 hours later, the Wi-Fi router is back up and I'm back to enjoying my stuttering, pausing, mostly frozen Hulu Plus streams on my PS3. Yay. I'll be sending these back as I'm out of troubleshooting ideas and ordering the slightly more expensive alternative.

*UPDATE*
So I got it working today. Turns out it was either my old Comcast modem (which seemed to be working fine when I initially tried the setup and then stopped working last night), or the Trendnet ethernet switch I was using. Exchanged my modem for a new one and went back to my Belkin wireless router (which also has wired LAN hub connections) and voila! it works. Still think the instructions are a joke, but once working this technology will make you wonder why you've been putting along with wireless for so long.