Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "Kathy Church" RSS Feed (Tucson, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Revlon Cuticle Trimmer with Cap 1 ea
Revlon Cuticle Trimmer with Cap 1 ea
Offered by Beauty Savings
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars works for a few uses, then dulls, May 27, 2014
I use this for hangnails far more often than trimming cuticles. But even cutting tiny hangnails, this trimmer is great for about five or six uses, then it dulls to the point of uselessness. One of those tools that you need to work when you need it to work.

Kitchenaid Classic Digital Timer, Red
Kitchenaid Classic Digital Timer, Red
Price: $20.13
3 used & new from $14.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but..., May 20, 2014
There are a lot of things to like about this timer. It's durable and sturdy, and easy to clean. It's very dependable and has never let me down. The battery lasts forever. The alarm is loud but not too loud.
However, two major problems. One, it doesn't allow you to set seconds. I can't set it for 1 1/2 minutes, for instance. Also it's not a direct input timer, which means if I want to set it for 45 minutes, I have to push the button 45 times. That gets old quick. That's the reason that I'm looking for a new (direct input) kitchen timer, even tho this one works well enough.

Ornamental Posters of the Vienna Secession
Ornamental Posters of the Vienna Secession
by Horst-Herbert Kossatz
26 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful color photos and graphics, May 16, 2014
This is probably the best English-language introduction to the ornamental posters of the Vienna Secession. The book is conversational and easy to read yet it covers all important aspects of the graphic arts of the period. Good history, good bios, great artwork.

Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine With 60 Built-In Stitches, 7 styles of 1-Step Auto-Size Buttonholes, Quilting Table, and Hard Cover
Price: $149.99
59 used & new from $124.00

1.0 out of 5 stars too many lemons, May 16, 2014
I chose this machine because of the many good reviews. I didn't read the one- and two-star reviews because of the numerous good reviews. If this machine works for you, it works well. It has several convenient features that make it a pleasure to use (needle up/down button, self-needle threader, quick set drop in bobbin, variable speed control, etc). The numerous built-in stitches come in handy for not only everyday use but special "once-in-a-lifetime" projects as well.
However, the tension control is awful. Once it goes haywire, there is nothing you can do to fix it. Nothing at all. I've spent more money trying to get this sewing machine fixed than I originally paid for it. Right out of the repair shop, it will work a little while then go haywire again. All those multiple functions and built-in stitches are completely useless if the tension is off. And once the tension goes off, there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it. I can't fix it, professionals can't fix it. So sad.

Rothco Free Standing Mosquito Net / Tent
Rothco Free Standing Mosquito Net / Tent
Offered by Army Universe
Price: $36.99
10 used & new from $33.49

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, April 23, 2014
This tent is a good value. It's quite inexpensive but still functional for protected camping, meaning indoors or someplace you're sure won't rain. I especially like that the top of the tent is mesh which allows a view of the stars. It's nice that the tent comes with a gear loft for small items like books, glasses, flashlight, etc. I also like that the tent is high enough to sit up inside comfortably (42" at the apex).
The interior of the tent measures exactly 6' x 2' so it's not for the big and tall. 24" is about the minimum comfortable width for an adult. Therefore I highly recommend spraying the sides with Permethrin to prevent bugs biting ones arms through the mesh. Permethrin will also prevent smaller bugs like no-see-ums from passing through this larger mesh.
Things I don't like: Having a door on each side is overkill especially since this is clearly a one-person tent (not a deal breaker). But unlike other reviewers, I believe the tent is difficult to set up. Feeding 11' poles through 9' sleeves is very difficult, especially where the poles cross each other. I wish they would have used pole clips instead of sleeves, which are a thing of the past. Despite this one issue, I like the tent a lot especially for extended stays in protected areas. Definitely not for backpacking but great for car camping, summer camp, hostels, stays in the tropics, etc.

Vargo - Titanium Shepards Hook Tent Stake, 6-Pack
Vargo - Titanium Shepards Hook Tent Stake, 6-Pack
Offered by HOME FITNESS
Price: $20.65
27 used & new from $20.60

5.0 out of 5 stars strong and lightweight, April 16, 2014
I like these stakes because of how incredibly strong they are, yet super lightweight. These stakes work in most ground conditions including rocky ground that has ruined most of my other stakes. The only type of soil they don't fare as well is very loose sandy soil. For that reason I usually bring a couple Y-shaped stakes for high-tension areas of my tent, but after lots of trial and error, 90% of my stakes are these Titanium Shepherd's Hooks. These hooks are easy to take care of and keep clean, yet they have enough grip on them to hold firmly in the ground.
One thing important to note: these stakes blend in almost too well especially in low light conditions like daybreak. They're too expensive to lose, especially during long distance hikes where all you gear counts. So go with the high-viz coating. I've lost too many of these stakes to count before I switched to high-viz. Either pay the extra cost for them initially, or go to a hardware store and buy some electrician's shrink wrap and DIY. It's worth it.

Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray
Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray
Price: $8.16 - $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% effective, April 9, 2014
This stuff works perfectly. Used it on a three week backpacking trip on the AT where the ticks and mosquitos are really bad. Once I applied this to my clothing, I never had one single tick or chigger bite (normally on the AT I'm just eaten alive by bugs). I also sprayed it on the netting of my tent, especially around the door, and remarkably no mosquitos wanted to enter my tent whenever I entered or exited the tent. No more mosquitos or flies getting trapped between the mesh and the rain fly, buzzing around all night. No bugs on me, no bugs in or around my tent. I also sprayed the top of my mesh hiking cap and the top side of the bill, and no gnats hovered around my head, face and eyes. Fantastic.
One thing to note: I'm so afraid of ticks (Lyme Disease is rampant on the AT; and I lost an acquaintance to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) that I stupidly disregarded the instructions and sprayed my bra and undies as well as t-shirt, shorts, and socks. Well the bra and undies chafed me terribly until I could switch to new undies that had not been treated with Permethrin. So follow the instructions and trust that it will give you enough coverage to avoid most (if not all) bugs out there.

Planet Dog Zip Lead Retractable Leash, Blue, Small
Planet Dog Zip Lead Retractable Leash, Blue, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Retractable Leash, March 10, 2014
I used this leash 5-6 days a week for the past five years, and it just now broke. My dog is 40lbs and likes to pull on his leash, causing it to finally fail. But I feel like I got my money's worth and I'm about to order a replacement.
I love the wrist loop! It's the only retractable leash I've ever used that I can loop around my wrist so I can have both hands free to scoop poo or fiddle with flashlight and dog toys. With other leashes, if you let go, it clatters to the ground and trails after the dog. This one stays put. I like that the wrist loop is lined with soft and comfortable neoprene. A nice touch.
Things to do to keep the leash working: keep it clean. If you live in a dusty area, carefully take it apart and clean the insides. Make sure you note the position of the spring and ball bearing so you can reassemble it properly. Also, if your dog sheds, hair will stick to the retractable part of the leash. Occasionally pull the hair off the leash so it doesn't gum up the retracting mechanism. This, more than anything else, is what I attribute to the longevity to my leash.
Minor ding: the lock is not right by your thumb as with regular retractable leashes. If you need a retractable leash that you can lock quickly, you might be better off with the other kind. Lastly, looking at the other reviews, it seems to be hit or miss. I may have just gotten lucky with this leash. But it gave me five good years of convenient, comfortable service and I'm going to buy another one.

RESTOP Solid and Liquid Waste Bag Contains 5 Bags
RESTOP Solid and Liquid Waste Bag Contains 5 Bags
Price: $16.00
12 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars convenient and hygienic, February 26, 2014
I've been using these for a long time. The bags are indispensable, perfect for boondocking (dry RV camping), emergencies*, and outdoor activities with no facilities. The bags are configured in such a way that cleanup and disposal are perfectly hygienic. They each include some TP and a wet wipe. The bags seal completely; in several years I've never seen one leak. I gave four stars instead of five because they're a bit pricey.
*I especially recommend these for people with digestive disorders like ulcerative colitis or Crohn's (I've had two bowel resections resulting in bile acid malabsorbtion). I always keep one in my car for emergencies. These bags have saved me from some truly distressing and embarrassing situations.

Postcard Album, Trim "Classic" Style (Blue)
Postcard Album, Trim "Classic" Style (Blue)
Offered by Hobbymaster LLC
Price: $21.27

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality binder, January 15, 2014
I was shocked at the poor quality of this binder. The binder is the most basic, cheap vinyl thing you could possibly buy. There are dozens of them at thrift shops and Goodwill stores everywhere. There's nothing special about the binder and nothing specific to postcards except for a printed "postcards" paper on the spine. The page protectors inside, on the other hand, are great for postcards (except for the large number of pages with four slots, which did not fit a single one of my postcards). I would like to see more pages with two pockets (5x7) and pages with three pockets. I suggest buying the page protector refills seperately and getting a binder at your local office supply store or Goodwill.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 6:15 PM PDT