Profile for BeachReader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 606

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

BeachReader RSS Feed (Delaware)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save America
God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save America
by Hanna Rosin
Price: $15.68
122 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, March 8, 2014
Boring and poorly written. Too many words and too much jumping back and forth, a device that I really dislike.

I expected more. I am no fan of evangeliscism (or religion in general) nor of homeschooling.

The Trophy Wife
The Trophy Wife
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.59

1.0 out of 5 stars terribly edited, February 28, 2014
This review is from: The Trophy Wife (Kindle Edition)
How could a "well-known" writer write something with so many errors in it? I am certain there was at least one error every other page. I got it from the library and people who read it before me actually penciled in corrections! The most error-laden book EVER! Insulting to readers.

The Mill River Recluse: A Novel
The Mill River Recluse: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.12

5.0 out of 5 stars This book kept me up late!, February 1, 2014
I read about this book and had to have it, but do not like reading on my Kindle, so I ordered it from a bookshop in London. When it arrived, I stopped reading another book and started it. Finished it in record time and hated when I got to the last page. Just a nice, warm, comforting story.....

Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A Novel
Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A Novel
by Anna Quindlen
Price: $15.55
202 used & new from $5.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Anna, January 28, 2014
Your non-fiction writing is so much better and more satisfying to me as a reader. I could never wait for a new column to appear. And even though I had read them all, I still bought your books of columns.

This novel - not so thrilled with it. I did not love the other novels, but they were better than this one, for which I anxiously waited -- I wanted to love it.

I did finish this book (thus the two stars) but it was a struggle. I was so underwhelmed. There were the bones of a good story, but the "connective tissue" and the "flesh" were just not there. The writing rambled and I often found myself re-reading to figure out what you were trying to say. The characters (and the story itself) lacked depth. It just was such a disappointment.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 1:12 PM PST

Giada's Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets
Giada's Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets
by Giada De Laurentiis
Price: $18.34
117 used & new from $11.33

1.0 out of 5 stars Her worst, November 17, 2013
While I enjoy Giada's show and many of her recipes, I thought this so-called cookbook was dreadful. I am glad I got it from the library. It is pretty bad.

The book feels very contrived to me, as if she has come up with "healthy" recipes just to sell the book. And many of them sound dreadful. Not only that, but many call for ingredients that most people would not have in their pantry.

The silly "beauty" sections are skin, hair, makeup, yoga, my bag (purse), packing, eating out, nails, makeup, skin, acupuncture. She talks about "cleanses" and "detox" which I think are signs of eating problems

Her morning routine has a very suggestive photo. Did that pass the editors or was it a mistake? Her evening routine is silly.

What I could not help thinking as I read this, and looked at her tips, was "yeah, right, sure, it is easy to live like this when you have a *team* taking care of you."
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 4:10 AM PST

The Summer Girls
The Summer Girls
by Mary Alice Monroe
Price: $12.19
109 used & new from $0.42

1.0 out of 5 stars I skimmed it after the halfway point, July 25, 2013
This review is from: The Summer Girls (Paperback)
After painfully slogging through half of this book, I skimmed to find out what happened. It was soooo repetitive and long-winded. Characters were not well drawn and there were several mistakes (references to other things that had happened). My advice....skip this one.

The Babysitter
The Babysitter
by Diana Diamond
23 used & new from $1.48

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible editing, July 17, 2013
This review is from: The Babysitter (Hardcover)
I cannot remember the last time I read a book that had been so poorly edited. Words left out, references to people or things that had never appeared/happened.....the list goes on.

The book is also way too long and drags on and on and on. Another example of poor editing.

LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set - Styles May Vary
LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set - Styles May Vary
29 used & new from $33.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - horrible packaging, November 15, 2011
1 star for the packaging!!!

Why did this need to be packaged like it was the Royal Jewels? EGADS, it was sooooo difficult to get the pieces out of the packaging. This is ridiculous. I bought it for my grandson and it took my daughter and I at least five minutes to remove the packaging (with the help of scissors).

Not only is this silly, but it is such a waste of materials.

Avec Eric
Avec Eric
by Eric Ripert
Price: $23.30
93 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious book, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Avec Eric (Hardcover)
I loved everything about this book - the mix of narrative, photos, and recipes was just right. It is so authentic that I could even hear Ripert's voice when reading the narrative. I especially liked the stories of his travels - from the Caymans to a farm just north of New York City and to Europe. I also enjoyed the bits and pieces about Le Bernardin. I have tried the carbonara, a risotto recipe, and a couple of salads ---- they were easy and wonderful.

I took a long time to read this, savoring every page, and often reading parts aloud to my husband. Now I am sad that I have finished it but glad I will have it as a reference.

This is a great book for a "foodie" who likes more than just recipes in a cookbook. This is a perfect blend.

By the way, I sure hope that new AVEC ERIC shows are being filmed.

As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto
As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto
by Julia Child
Price: $17.33
250 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Food and Politics, February 12, 2011
This took me six weeks to read...not because it was boring, but because it was so dense with information and the print was pretty small for my old eyes. There was no large print edition available.

I loved reading these letters, a peek into life and cooking/food in the 50s. I probably would have given it 5 stars except that there was too much political preaching that got quite tiresome after reading the same thing ten times. Since these letters were edited, some of this stuff should have been left out. I can only think that Reardon WANTED that political stuff to be in the readers' faces. The sheer volume of the political comments by both women really detracted from the book, in my opinion. The odd thing is that they were so anti-Republican/pro Democrat, yet both were fairly elitist.

I did like all the food talk, the speculation about new cooking equipment, and also the difference between what was available in Europe versus the U.S and between then and now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 3:48 PM PST