Profile for Mikel N. Daniel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mikel N. Daniel RSS Feed (Hampton, VA)

Page: 1 | 2
Huge Teddy Bear - Tan
Huge Teddy Bear - Tan
Offered by PopShop!
Price: $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This bear was just right, March 28, 2015
This review is from: Huge Teddy Bear - Tan (Toy)
I'm deployed overseas for a year and this was exactly what my daughters needed to keep them warm at night. Every time I Skype with them they are always cuddling up with it. I ended up buying a second so they both had one on their beds. This bear was just the right size at just the right price...may even get myself one at this point!

Kawasaki NINJA Black/Red Brake Reservoir Sock Cover Fits ZX-6R, ZX-9R, ZX-15R, ZX-12R, ZX-14R, ZX6, ZX9, ZX15, ZX12, ZX14, Ninja
Offered by Moto Socks

5.0 out of 5 stars Yup, it's a sock., August 28, 2014
Bought this for my wife's '08 ZX-6R. Honestly, she wanted a pick and white one, to match the pink and white back she wanted instead. Didn't mention what I rather had instead. Been married long enough where that road goes.

Oh yah, the sock fits pretty good.

BMW White Brake Reservoir Sock Cover Avaliable in Black and White Fits BMW Motorrad, HP2, Megamoto Sport, S1500RR, F800R, F800, K1300, R1200, RT, GT, GS
Offered by Moto Socks
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean look, but not a sticker, so no HP gains., August 20, 2014
It's a sock that goes over your brake reservoir. There isn't much else to say, except I'll probably not pick white again for my next one. Obviously not a knock against the product, just gets dirty being exposed to the elements.

Trico 14-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade, 14" (Pack of 1)
Trico 14-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade, 14" (Pack of 1)
Offered by oh!Dreamy
24 used & new from $6.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Mazda '10 CX-9, August 20, 2014
Exact fit for my 2010 Mazda CX-9, with no squeaky noises during rains. I also felt less like an idiot after fumbling with it for 20 minutes before giving in and reading the *shudder* instructions.

Invisible Ink Pen and Black Light - 4 Pack
Invisible Ink Pen and Black Light - 4 Pack
Offered by Click down
Price: $2.70
26 used & new from $0.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pens, crap lights, August 20, 2014
Bought these for a going away present I was doing for a friend. The pens work pretty good, however the lights are fairly garbage, and I ended up going to Spencer Gift to pick up a UV light for like 10 bucks. My kids ran off with them, and now I'm finding hidden messages around the house with the UV light...as well as other things I really did not want to find. UV lights are a mixed blessing.

Electrified 915B403001 Replacement Lamp with Housing for Mitsubishi Projectors
Electrified 915B403001 Replacement Lamp with Housing for Mitsubishi Projectors
Offered by Electrified
Price: $22.18
8 used & new from $22.18

5.0 out of 5 stars It works...and it's cheap, August 20, 2014
I purchased this for my 60" Mitsubishi DLP. This is actually the second time I purchase it. First was January of 2012. There are a few reviews complaining about the bulb life, and honestly, it's the same with all bulbs. They can on occasion burn out rapidly. However, when they do work, you get a good long life out them. As a matter of fact, the bulb I had in the TV had not burned out, but the picture was starting to dim, which is a sure sign that it was getting ready to go soon. But, 30 bucks and you pretty much have a brand new TV. Install is easy as well. 1 screen for the panel, two screws to remove the bulb. Make sure you close the panel before trying to turn the TV on...apparently some warning about UV radiation...etc, etc.

Fender Eliminator Kit + Block Off Plate for BMW S1000R S1000RR HP4 2010-2014
Fender Eliminator Kit + Block Off Plate for BMW S1000R S1000RR HP4 2010-2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple product, easy install, August 20, 2014
I got this for my '13 S1000RR. Install was pretty straight forward and didn't require much mechanical aptitude. Don't know if to attribute that to the simplicity of working on a BMW, or to the product itself, but either way, the bike looks way cleaner now with it, and I'm only out about an hour of my day.

On a side note, the instructions say to junk your old screws, but retain the washers for attaching the kit hardware to the frame. However, the screws are shorter and fatter than the OEM screws. So the washers did not fit, and one of the screws was just too short to bit into the frame. Ended up reusing the original screws for that part. Don't know if it was something I did wrong, but I'm not going back to check.

Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, Book 3)
Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, Book 3)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great End to the Trilogy, August 26, 2012
I absolutely loved this trilogy. I could not put it down! It was really romantic to see the Christian and Anna grow and change but still have the passionate roughness as well.

I don't normally choose books that have a lot of "real sex" in them and certainly not bdsm, however, I felt like this really was a bit more educational if you will into a world that most people know nothing about... myself included. For me it gave a window into the life of how others may choose to live, and that it works for them and makes them happy because they are both into it. It's not about being mean and making the other person feel worthless, but about trusting each other enough to give your whole being to them knowing that there is a fine line between pleasure and pain.

Christian and Anna come from two different world's but found a middle ground and made a family and to me that is true romance! I loved it and if you are up for something different and exciting to read, go out on a limb, take a chance pick it up cause the ride will be worth it.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $586.95
78 used & new from $300.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it!, January 2, 2008
I'm loving this lens, I really am. For $500, this lens is on par with the Nikon professional line of lenses, sans the wallet breaking prices. Yes, you are getting a plastic body (albeit high-quality) instead of a metal body, and it's a variable aperture instead of a constant one. But really, the differences end there. The lens is incredibly sharp from 70 up to about 200, where it tapers off some. Also, it has a curved 9 bladed aperture design which gives a pleasing looking bokeh. By comparison, the 17-55mm 2.8 gold ring lens has 7 curved aperture blades. Not necessarily the fairest comparison, but just wanted to note some of things you get for what you pay.

Like all telephoto lenses, the 70-300 is sizeable at 745g (1.6lbs roughly), and with the attached lens hood, it's hard to escape attention. I've gotten many "now THAT'S a lens!" comments while using it. I guess all my other lenses must not be real or something. However, I use this on a D80 with a battery grip which really helps balance the lens out and makes it far more comfortable to hold. Generally the weight of the lens is rested on my left hand under the barrel which makes it feel far lighter, but the weight still adds on my neck, especially if I use it with my sb600. Getting an aftermarket soft material neck strap has really helped out a lot, and gets me away from the large Nikon "steal-me" strap lettering.

The real meat and potatoes of this gem of a lens is the second generation VR technology which is rated for a full 4 stops of shaky, wobbly hand stoppage rather the 3 stops offered on the 70-200 VR. This has been tested by many independent reviewers and proven to be true. If the opinion of one non-professional reviewer can be added to that, I'm here to say I wholeheartedly agree with them. I've gotten shutter speeds down to 1/10th hand held and still come out with relatively decent shots. While this won't help you too much with sports shots, since you should be using a relatively fast shutter speed anyway, most other shots will benefit from it.

So uses? I've found this lens to be great for outdoor sports shots, daylight candid and some nature shots. It's also makes an excellent portrait lens under studio lights in the 70-105 range. Due to the slower aperture, it isn't terribly useful for indoor sport shots. The 70-200 2.8 would serve you better. Shots of the moon are also fun to take, but you'll need to do some sharpening in post if you take the shot at 300 where the lens is a bit soft, and will need to stop down a bit to correct that. Vignetting as expected is non-existent, but there is some CAs on the far telephoto end. These are correctable in Photoshop however.

All in all, you get second generation VR, 9 bladed aperture for pleasing bokeh, sharp optics, and relatively good build construction on par with the gold ring 12-24 f/4 (a professional lens with a plastic body), and being a non DX lens (doesn't have a reduced image circle) so you get to take advantage of the sweet spot. Drawbacks' being it is heavy, variable aperture, soft 200+ and does suffer from CAs at the far end. However, it is definitely a lens I will have for many years to come, and one I can confidently recommend to anyone.

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens (OLD MODEL)
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens (OLD MODEL)
Offered by SuperFinds
Price: $99.99
60 used & new from $68.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enough to wet your appetite, but leave you wanting, January 2, 2008
We have here the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens that is seemingly designed to do one thing: make you want more. I received mine as part of my kit package with my Nikon D40. It is a decent lens that cuts corners all over to keep price down, and doesn't really do anything great. However, for those first starting out, it's light as a feather, simple to use, and at least for the initial month or so, all you need to get out and start capturing memories.

As expected for the price, it is of relatively low-grade plastic construction, to include the mount (the part at the rear that connects to the camera), however the optics are uncharacteristically sharp. While it is an AF-S lens (focusing element in the lens and not the camera), it doesn't benefit from full-time manual override found on other AF-S lenses (that is, you're able to make manual adjustments after the lens has focused). I'm sure that Nikon did this as a cost-cutting measure. For users of this lens, this shouldn't be an issue as you can always switch over to manual focus anyway via a switch on the lens or camera (save the D40/X which doesn't have an internal focus motor and as such no switch on the camera). However, more experienced users will find the manual focus ring quite distasteful. Also, since the front element rotates, use with a polarizer will be annoying.

With a variable aperture of 3.5-5.6 you can easily get available-light shots for outdoor daylight photos, and well-lit indoor photos without jacking up the iso too high at the wide end, but near the long end, you're going to need to use a flash unless you use a relatively slow shutter speed or high iso setting. You're going to get some vignetting (darkening of the corners) on the wide end, as with any wide-angle lens, but this can be corrected with most post-processing software, like Photoshop. Also, there will be CAs or purple fringing with high contrast images.

The range is quite short, though not as bad as say the 17-35 or the 35-70 (which outclass this lens in every way, shape and form), and will definitely have you wanting for just a little more reach at the long end. The Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ($199.95 Amazon) is an excellent compliment to this lens, or if you can afford it, the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR ($473.32 Amazon). The difference between 55 and 70 is fairly small and won't be missed (but the difference in price will hurt a little more). 18mm will most likely be plenty wide allowing you take large group, landscape shots, and even some fun distorted portrait shots due to the barrel roll at the wide end.

All in all, this is a lens to get you started, but leaving you wanting for more. More range, faster light gathering, better construction, etc. Its cheap construction is enough to keep price down, but won't take very much abuse. Also, being a kit lens, you'll be hard pressed to sell it unless packaged with the camera if you ever upgrade lenses in the future. It is what it is, with the only alternative at this price being the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D ($109 Amazon) aka, the nifty fifty.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2010 4:37 PM PDT