Profile for W. Kurtz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Kurtz "B. Kilgore" RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27-Inch LCD Monitor
NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27-Inch LCD Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best That A Mortal Can Hope For, July 23, 2013
I like many a serious digital photographers have long lusted after Eizo ColorEdge monitors. They are the gold standard in color accuracy. But they are painfully expensive. My quest to find an acceptable substitute began a couple of years ago when a friend who ran an internet company recommended the Dell Ultrasharp 2410. I purchased two of them for use with my Mac Pro. I always liked the 2410. It was relatively accurate and worked well with 3rd party calibration tools. The problem was that I could never get the two monitors to match. No matter how I ran the calibration it still was visibly different between the screens. At a photo expo here in NYC last year someone recommended NEC graphics monitors as a good compromise for the Eizo. I did a lot of research. Read a ton of reviews. Learned more about color management than I ever wanted to know and the took the plunge and bought two of the PA271W-BK-SV. That alphabet soup means it is the 27 inch version of the PA series and includes the Spectraview II hardware and software. The colorimeter is made by Xrite and the software is proprietary to NEC to address their monitors specifically. These monitors are heavy. Each one is 30 pounds including the stand. The build quality feels very substantial and all of the switches feel like they are of high quality. One small feature that I like is that there is a molded in handle at the top of the monitor and the stand locks in the down position. Both of these features make installing and moving the monitors much easier. There is a wide choice of inputs on the monitor and in doing my research I found out that with the appropriate graphics card, by using the displayport cable instead of the DVI one can glean a wider swath of the monitors gamut than using DVI. The monitor comes with both cables.

Now to the color. These monitors look great. Prior to the initial calibration they were way too bright, excessive but impressive nonetheless. Calibrating the monitors was a breeze. Calibration with a Spyder is not hard but this was truly effortless and the results are amazing. The monitors match perfectly. I have looked at a ton of photos now and can not find any discrepancies in the greens, reds, yellows, oranges etc. For Photoshop and Lightroom I can't imagine things getting much better. It was a bit of work to wedge 27 inch monitors into my workspace but I am so glad that I did. Outside the graphics realm it is quite luxurious to have all these pixels. You can have many apps running simultaneously and all visible at the same time. This is great for multitasking such as listening to music. Writing in Word and keeping email and chat visible. I was afraid that I might experience some buyers remorse after purchasing these monitors but they have exceeded my expectations in every way. My only watch word would be this. Color management is a slippery slope. There is always more to learn and more tools to make it "better". Choose carefully.

Fruity Cheerios Cereal, 12 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Fruity Cheerios Cereal, 12 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Offered by Small Town Outlet
Price: $35.49
8 used & new from $25.10

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this cereal, July 9, 2013
Living in NYC this is a product that is almost impossible to find and when you do the price per box is double the amazon price. This might not be a perfect buying choice for all customers but for me it is a great value for a product I really like.

EZOPower Apple CERTIFIED 3 Feet 30-pin USB Sync & Charge Dock Connector Data Cable / White (Retail Packaging) for Apple iPad 1 2 / New iPad 3, iPhone 4 4S 4G 4GS 3G 3GS, iPod
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $15.99
5 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised, July 9, 2013
This is not a complex product. It is a six foot thirty pin I device connector cable. The quality is very good and it makes it easy to use your iPad/iPhone in bed while it is charging. It also save me the problem of remembering to plug it in when I fall asleep using my Apple device. Not much more to say.

Wilderness Medicine: Expert Consult Premium Edition - Enhanced Online Features and Print, 6e (Auerbach, Wilderness Medicine)
by 内田有希
Price: $202.72
56 used & new from $139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, July 9, 2013
This is book is simply the most comprehensive and authoritative guide to wilderness medicine there is. It covers everything from high altitude cerebral edema to how to euthanize an elephant if you are using it as a pack animal and it is injured. The text is over 2,000 pages and the book weighs in at about 7 pounds. Needless to say it is not a field guide. I had wanted this book for years and finally splurged. As much as I love this book it is not for everyone. It is very in depth and highly technical. It is written in medical language for healthcare professionals, MDs, RNs, EMTs, and paramedics. Unless you are very into medicine and comfortable with a good bit of jargon this might not be the best choice. If you do fit into the above categories or have a pharma or science background you will probably be happy with this book. The array of topics is astounding. It covers tactical medicine, rodeo medicine, hazardous plants, animals and is the best reference I have found on tropical diseases. Use the Amazon look inside feature to see if this text is right for you. If not there are many other excellent books on wilderness medicine includes those from NOLS, the national outdoor leadership school.

Zero Tolerance Boot Knife
Zero Tolerance Boot Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boot Knife, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Zero Tolerance Boot Knife (Sports)
I have been looking for a small double edged boot knife for years and after I read the reviews of the ZT O150 I thought that I had found it. When my order arrived a few days later my hopes were confirmed. The blade beautifully shaped and razor sharp. The balance of the knife is excellent and it is very light. I always like G10 scales and these are excellent with appropriate jimping. If I had to point out a couple of issues with the knife there would be two. The first is that the picture on the Amazon website is incorrect at this time. The pictures shows a dark earth colored blade and the item I received had a black blade. The was not a major concern for me but I know there are a lot of knife buyers who are very particular about this sort of thing. The second issue is that the handle feels quite small to me. My glove size is XXL so for many people this probably won't matter but it is worth mentioning. This is my third ZT knife and my first fixed blade from them. I am happy with each of the ZT products and would definitely recommend them if the specs are what you are looking for.

Friedrich SQ10N10 9,600 btu - 115 volt - 9.8 EER Kuhl series Wi-Fi Capable room air conditioner

1.0 out of 5 stars Another American company goes down the tubes, July 1, 2013
I have been using Friedrich air conditioners since 1991. At that time they were the premier air conditioner brand in the USA. The units they produced at that time were very high quality.

Now however, their new units are terrible. They have poor airflow compared with competitive units of similar BTU (260cfm vs 330 for the competition). The compressor refuses to come on even if the room is 80 degrees if the outside temperature is moderate. The customer service is awful. I waited on hold for 30 minutes to talk to a tech support rep about my Friedrich Kuhl and when I asked specific questions he was evasive and rude. When I called back to complain they said there would be at least another 15 minute hold.

The high tech Kuhl unit does a far worse job than the last generation Friedrich we owned for cooling the same space. When we had a technician come out to look at our unit he said he hated the Kuhl's because they had an additional number of sensors that made the units unpredictable in terms of performance and very hard to work on.

I would tell anyone willing to listen not to buy a Friedrich. LG, Frigidaire, GE and Sharp are all a better value. Buying the new Friedrichs is spending good money for a product that is resting on its laurels and rapidly losing credibility in the market.

Do not buy a Friedrich Kuhl. You will not be happy with it.

Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 Cast Iron Wok, Black, 14-inch
Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 Cast Iron Wok, Black, 14-inch
3 used & new from $120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for smaller ranges, February 28, 2013
I am stuck with an underpowered range and as a result needed a wok that would get very hot and hold the heat. I looked at a lot of reviews and decided on the Lodge. I have really like their other products that I own. The wok has a flat bottom so it does not require a ring and that is a nice feature. I put the wok on the fire and let it heat for 20 minutes. When it is very hot I add oil and begin cooking. With this method it is possible to actually stir fry as opposed to boil on our anemic range. The wok is heavy but that is the only drawback.

Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR
Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR
Price: $1,696.95
19 used & new from $1,343.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Defies the Laws of Physics, February 27, 2013
Okay so maybe it doesn't defy the laws of physics but this lens has far exceeded my expectations which were pretty high given everything I have read about it. The fact that Nikon had a great rebate program the ends 4-2-13 made the decision for me. These types of lenses never go on sale and 200 dollars off the regular price was too good to pass up. I have used the Lens on my D800 and the resolution is amazing. Pictures are insanely sharp even wide open. Color rendition and detail is really everything I could hope for. I was concerned I wouldn't like the new G lens design as much as the D designs but my concerns have proved unfounded. The lens is relatively light (compared to my 24-70) and is compact enough that it would be easy to carry all day. Over the next few days I will put it on my D4 which is heavy and it will be nice to have a lighter lens on it for a change. One thing of note about the lenses that no longer have an aperture adjustment ring is that they are supposed to be more weather resistant than the old ones. Of course they never say what "weather resistant" mean in terms of an IPxx rating so I always try to ere on the side of caution. I put a B&W UV filter on the front. I am very happy with this lens. If you are in the market for a fast portrait/photojournalism/event lens this is one I would recommend.

BD Individually Foil Wrapped Alcohol Swabs - 300 ea
BD Individually Foil Wrapped Alcohol Swabs - 300 ea
Offered by Treasure Zone
Price: $12.18
10 used & new from $7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best There Is, February 11, 2013
I have tried a number of brands of alcohol prep pads and always come back to BD. This isn't going to be a long review but these pads have a long shelf life, rarely dry out before opening, and are generously infused with alcohol. Other brands may cost a bit less but these are great.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, February 7, 2013
There is not much you can say about a stainless steel wipe other than that these things work perfectly. Our stainless appliances look brand new after we use these. Finger prints and smudges completely disappear. I normally don't obsess over cleaning products but these are great.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6