Profile for D-Squared > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D-Squared RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ed Hardy Decks Shoe for Womens - Turquoise - 6
Ed Hardy Decks Shoe for Womens - Turquoise - 6

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable, pretty & unique, November 24, 2013
These are very pretty in person - just as pictured - and are very comfortable. I liked that they have the design on the entire shoe rather than having the white toe as most of the other Ed Hardy styles. Also, these are a little wider than some of the other Ed Hardy styles. They are not "wide" shoes but just the cut is not as slim as some of the others and they are comfortable and unique.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2014 9:19 AM PST

(SET OF 2) 46MM Snap-On Lens Cap (for Camera Lenses with 46MM Filter Threads) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Digital Goja
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars works perfectly + excellent seller, September 27, 2012
This is a great deal to get two replacement caps for this price. I ordered off Amazon from the seller DigitalGoja and I received the items very promptly, packaged securely. The caps fit my Panasonic 20mm lens perfectly. I would have no hesitation to purchase these again if I lose them (again) and from this seller. The microfiber cloth was a nice extra.

Panasonic DMC-FH25 16.1MP Digital Camera with 8X Wide Angle Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD - Silver
6 used & new from $135.00

3.0 out of 5 stars good basic camera for those who want to point & shoot, April 21, 2012
I bought this for a family member who knows nothing about cameras or photography and who has no interest in learning more than just push the button. :) So, when shopping for a camera for her, my criteria was - how good will it do on full auto. It needed to focus quickly and accurately and I wanted it to have reasonably nice image quality. I bought this and tested it out for a few days.

The focus is fast and accurate just as I was expecting on a Panasonic - they usually have very good focus (accurate) on full auto in the point and shoot camera category. On the widest angle setting, outdoors, the picture quality is very nice. Once you start to zoom, picture quality is not the greatest but still OK. Macros are very good on this too. It's very easy to operate if you are a novice. You can set it on iA (intelligent auto) and the only buttons you have to operate are the shutter button (press half way down to focus; press the rest of the way down to take the picture) and the zoom toggle on the top of the camera.

I wasn't super happy that there was no dedicated movie button (it's in the menu) but I knew she would not likely use the movie function. I also knew that most of the photos she might take would be of her son and grandson, so mostly wide angle (better photo quality) would be fine for her and a little zoom on this still gets you a decent image in terms of quality. I liked the size and weight of this - slim and light weight. I liked the size and shape of it so much that I almost bought one for myself but I prefer different features and better image quality when fully zoomed out.

Bottom line is - she loves it and actually uses it! Before this, any camera was too complicated for her to even give it a try. This one is not intimidating. This camera has plenty of settings to try out too and I encourage you to try those (sports, portrait, landscape, etc) as you can often get even better results with those.

It was between this and Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with Full 1080p HD Video (Silver). I thought the Elph might actually be too small for her to be comfortable with AND you have to be willing to work the settings more to get the best photo. I find the full auto on the Elph does not consistently lock in on the right subject when focusing - so I knew any camera she had to "fiddle with" would not be the best choice for her. The image quality on the Elph is a bit better but ONLY if you work with the different settings and modes (it also didn't have 8x zoom).

If you want a budget camera that you can put on full auto and get the right subjects in focus, this is the one I would recommend. 16MP is too many for this small sensor. 9 or 10 would be much better in my opinion in terms of image quality BUT, in terms of what I was looking for and the budget P&S camera category, it is a 4.5 star rating. In terms of all point and shoot cameras in the world, I would say 3-ish so I gave this 3 stars. I wish camera manufacturers would stop playing the mega-pixel race game and concentrate on image quality.

I've uploaded several sample photos taken on iA too, so check those and others out for more of a feel of what you can expect from this camera.

I try to make my reviews as helpful as possible so please feel free to ask a questions in comments. I am happy to answer if I can. :)
Comment Comments (31) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 5:02 AM PDT

Nikon 25770 AN-CP19 Black Strap
Nikon 25770 AN-CP19 Black Strap
Price: $3.99
7 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, effective, well-made, works great, December 1, 2011
I was looking for a simple, but well-made, secure, hand strap. After reading other reviews about this strap I decided to give it a try. It works great and is indeed, a well-made quality strap. It's easy to put on and just works. I was so happy with it that I came back for another to keep as a spare or give as a gift. I don't even notice the Nikon word on the strap but that wouldn't bother me if I did.

Fujifilm FinePix F600EXR 16 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 15x Optical Zoom (Black)
Offered by F1RST CLASS DISTRIBUTION
Price: $199.99
7 used & new from $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars happy with my Fuji F600EXR, October 28, 2011
Great travel zoom camera with excellent image quality for a point and shoot; Response time is very fast, especially focus, and image quality is impressive. Keep in mind that this is a point and shoot camera, not a dSLR. (I do shoot with a Nikon dSLR and love it but want a pocket camera for travel.) I got this to replace my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 which I am giving to a family member as a gift. I was very happy with that model but had read about image quality not being as good in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10, (Panasonic's next model), so I started looking around at other brands. The size and feel of the F600EXR is very nice. I just really love holding it and using it. If you have pets, one thing you may love is the pet face detection modes - there is one for cats and one for dogs. Some people call this the "cat mode" or "dog mode." What it does is a face detection for your pets, just like regular face detection focus zeroes in on people. This mode is awesome! It is spot on. It has tons of other modes, too - fireworks, landscape, portrait, enhanced portrait, pro focus, and more, as well. So, great for all uses and for vacation and travel. I especially wanted a nice zoom for the best all around travel pocket camera. Of course, the big thing about the Fuji F600EXR (and previous models) is the EXR technology, which uses the pixels in the camera in different ways to get the best image depending on your shooting situation. I'm very impressed with it. I haven't had the camera long (a few weeks) so I will update more as I use it but so far I am very happy with my purchase, especially the image quality for a pocket camera and the ability to set it on auto and get great pictures. (Good for when you don't have time to adjust settings or for giving it to a family member to use and enjoy, or just enjoying your vacation more than concentrating on the camera equipment.) I do recommend trying all of the modes and settings, though, to see what gives you the best results in different instances. I haven't tried the video yet but I will play around with that more soon.

To sum up:
response time - very fast
image quality - great
face detection for pets - fabulous! :)
macro - beautiful details
size and weight - feels solid but not too heavy and still small and portable
colors - accurate
EXR - great job in high contrast situations
Focus is fast and accurate
zoom - very nice results at full zoom but do remember to keep camera as still as you can or rest on something (due to gravity, the further out you zoom, the more likely you could see movement from the end of the lens if you aren't keeping the camera and lens very still.)

I've posted some photos on full auto EXR mode from my first day wtih it. Will add more from the various shooting modes as I go. Feel free to ask a question and I'll do my best to answer.

UPDATE - 1/9/2012
Now that I've had time to use it more I thought I'd post a short update.

1. I'm still happy with the camera, however, if you are a big low-light or night time shooter, I would recommend another camera over this one (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black). That being said, I do get consistently good results from this camera in all but night scenes. I even get great results indoors with and without flash (see the photo of my white cat in the example images), just not always great with night scenes or something with super low light (Christmas lights, etc.) I do sometimes but not as much as in the other shooting conditions.

I set the image size to M to give the EXR technology a chance to work at its best. (As I understand it, the pixels combine/merge/join so you get 8 megapixesl with larger pixels and better quality - more or less). I've also had good results using the pro mode for night shots, just not as consistently good as with some other cameras.

2. I am not a big movie mode users, but if it's in the camera, it's nice to have it work well. That being said, I can sometimes get good results with this one on movie mode but not always. I set the focus mode to be center focus and not continuous to keep it from hunting as much, but other cameras excel with the movie mode in my opinion. (no focus hunting).

Overall, I still am pleased with this for a travel zoom camera if you are mostly out doing the tourist sight seeing activities - especially during the day (zoo, gardens, landmarks, etc.) I am updating my review from 5 stars to 4 because of the two items above that are not best in class in my opinion, but overall, I am still pleased with it.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 4:38 AM PST

rooCASE Convertible Genuine (Black) Leather Case for 4th Generation iPad with Retina Display / the new iPad 3rd / Apple iPad 2 (Automatically Wakes and Puts the iPad to Sleep)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! Couldn't be happier!, August 27, 2011
I finally found a case I love. I had the Apple one, which is pretty and cool and all but it doesn't protect the case and IMO is way over priced. I purchased another one from a large retail chain and paid the same as this one and the openings didn't line up with any of the ports or with the camera! So, after having wasted a ton of money on those two, I did some research on Amazon and decided to try this one. I couldn't be happier! The iPad 2 fits perfectly. I particularly like that it doesn't move around loosely like the other brand case I tried. The rooCase is very classy looking and the quality is super nice. Overall, it just looks and feels great. The adjustable stand is a nice bonus feature too. And, as others have mentioned, the auto sleep/wake feature works too. I wish I would have purchased this one first. Great value for the quality and perfect fit.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX78 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x f/2.5 Ultra Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom Lens and 3.5-Inch Touch LCD  (White)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX78 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x f/2.5 Ultra Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom Lens and 3.5-Inch Touch LCD (White)
3 used & new from $120.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, stylish P&S with lots of options and great auto, July 25, 2011
At first I was skeptical about the touch screen but I actually like it. It's easy to use and works perfectly and it's not as sensitive as your phone, which is a good thing, otherwise you would likely change settings just at the wrong time. As is typical with other Panasonic P&S cameras, the iA (intelligent auto) mode works great - so this camera is perfect for someone who really wants a true point and shoot to not think about things and get nice snapshots in most settings. I recommend using the settings and features to get even more out of the camera - and there are a lot of them.

Things I like about the FX78:
* Slim and stylish; easy to slip in a pocket or purse and enjoyable to handle
* Great auto (iA - intelligent Auto)
* Fast focus, start up and next shot responsiveness
*. Zoom and focus during video
* Fun and artistic "my color" settings (pinhole, film grain, high dynamic, silhouette, etc.)
* Lots of flexibility to adjust the "regular camera" mode (exposure compensation, focus, face detection, self timer, standard color, vivid color, black and white, sepia, flash on, flash off, flash slow sync, etc.)
* Great selection of scene settings to get the most out of photographing things like pets, portraits, night portraits, snow, beach, hand-held night scene, etc.
* Easy to use especially if you are familiar with Panasonic cameras. If not, it's worth a read through the manual to get a better understanding of the settings and what icon represents what setting.
* Nice image quality for P&S - The images are very nice but keep in mind this is a point and shoot camera with a P&S sensor. I would say you could easily get photos that would print out nicely at 4x6 and 5x7 and, in some cases, 8x10 that you'd be happy to hang on the wall or put in a photo album.
* 24mm ultra-wide angle lens
* 5x optical zoom (with stabilization)
* Bright f/2.5 aperture
* Nice video - although I haven't played with the HD movie mode much yet but the one quick clip I took was fine.

If you need more than 5x zoom but still want a reasonably sized small pocket sized camera, you may want to consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 with 12x Zoom (Black) or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 with 16x Zoom (Black).

Oh, the beauty mode works fine if you use a light touch - meaning that you can apply the beauty settings (whiten teeth, smooth skin, eye shadow, etc) in varying percentages. I tested it out just to see and 10% - 20% was enough for me to offer a pleasing effect for a snapshot.

Overall, I'm really having a lot of fun with this camera. I've uploaded several photos so check those out for some examples of results you can get from the FX78.

UPDATE - October 2011
I'm not that pleased with the screen resolution. I guess it is OK for people with younger eyes, but I think Panasonic should have had at least 420K on this model. It has a lot of great features and very nice picture and video quality but ultimately, I think I am going to go with a pocket travel zoom camera that has more reach and a better LCD screen resolution.

UPDATE - January 2012
I ended up selling this because it didn't fit my shooting needs best. Image quality at the wide angle was good but not so much once you started to use the zoom - especially at full zoom. I hated to part with it because I liked the look and feel of the camera so much but ultimately, it was about image quality for my shooting preferences. So if you usually like to take pictures of friends, at parties, etc, you'll probably really enjoy this. If you want more zoom, I recommend looking at another model. I think this would be a great camera for teens or twenty year olds if you can find it on sale.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2012 12:23 PM PDT

The Lost Kitten (The Kitten Who Saved a Man Book 2)
The Lost Kitten (The Kitten Who Saved a Man Book 2)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read; highly recommend!, June 18, 2011
This is the second e-book I've read from this author and very much enjoyed it as I did the first one. Heart-warming and a delightful easy read. Highly recommend!

Tervis Tumbler Assorted Sea Shells 16-Ounce Double Wall Insulated Tumbler, Set of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty and high quality tumblers, June 18, 2011
I received these very promptly within the estimated ship date. They are beautiful and durable. If you haven't tried Turvis yet, you should. They keep your drinks cold or hot without sweating. They say they are top shelf dishwasher safe but some of my older ones got a little cloudy after several years so I would just hand wash to keep them like new forever.

Zeikos ZE-HD900 Hard Flash diffuser for Nikon SB900 flash (White)
Zeikos ZE-HD900 Hard Flash diffuser for Nikon SB900 flash (White)
Offered by Sunset Electronics
Price: $4.19
11 used & new from $3.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value; works perfectly, May 8, 2011
I got this one because I can't find the one that came with my SB900. It fits nicely (I didn't notice it being overly snug) and works great. I'm very happy with the purchase and the value. I'm sure I'll find the one that came with my SB900 at some point and I'll have this as a nice back-up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3