Profile for Justin Opinion > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 678

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Justin Opinion RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Peltor Sport RangeGuard Earmuff
Peltor Sport RangeGuard Earmuff
Price: $45.16
16 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable hearing protection I've ever used!, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I go to the shooting range every week, with rare exception. So I use hearing protection constantly and have a great deal of experience with many types and brands. I prefer over-the-ear protection for convenience and hygiene. I also consider electronic muffs a must have. If you are not familiar with using electronic ear muffs for hearing protection, you don't know what you're missing. The technology uses microphones (usually two) to amplify external sounds, but the instant a loud sound (like gunfire) is detected, it blocks the audio signal. How fast it does that, and how many decibels it blocks are indicators of the quality of the device.

The Peltor Sport RangeGuard is rated at 21 NRR (or decibels), which is a good degree of reduction - especially in this price range. But here's the thing - all electronic earmuffs work about the same and they all work good. So what distinguishes one from another? Comfort!! I have primarily used Howard Leight earmuffs for years, but one complaint I've always had was that they don't fully seal over shooting glasses or hat rims. Those small leaks reduce the protection, and also make the muffs uncomfortable. This is mostly due to a stiff vinyl used for the ear cups. The first thing I noticed with the Peltor muffs was how soft and pliable the ear cups are. I have tested them with and without all combinations of hat and glasses, and they provide a terrific seal. But more than that, they are ultra comfortable. If you shoot and spend hours at the range, you know how sore your head can get from the earmuffs pushing against a hat or glasses. I've worn these for four straight hours with very little discomfort, because they are so soft.

Like many other modern earmuffs, these collapse nicely inside the headband so that they fit into a small space for storage. The headband is also comfortable and padded. I have two minor complaints with the Peltor Sport RangeGuard, but not enough so to prevent me from giving them five stars. One is that the earmuffs constantly want to re-collapse while you're trying to fit them on, which can be a bit annoying. The second is the on/off-volume knob is awkwardly located and not easy to operate while wearing the earmuffs. Those are my two little gripes, but as I said not enough to take a way a star. They also have the common auto-shutoff feature to save you batteries. And they come with a cord that you can use to listen to music from your audio device or smartphone.

I find the Peltor Sport RangeGuard earmuff to be the best I've used in this price range. You have to spend a couple hundred dollars to do any better. These are now my go-to hearing protection and the others are for my guests at the range!

Miracle-Gro 0747210 RTU24 Nature's Care Insecticidal Soap
Miracle-Gro 0747210 RTU24 Nature's Care Insecticidal Soap
Price: $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the bugs off the plants in a clean and natural way, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have some flowers and bushes around our house that seem to always be under attack from tiny mites and similar insects, and by mid-summer they look terrible. Over the years, I've tried different solutions, including the "soap" type sprays with mixed results. I thought I'd give the Miracle-Gro solution a try, since I trust the name and use Miracle-Gro plant food with good results.
I was very pleased with how easily this soap spray coats the leaves and flowers and does not run off. At first I thought the spray was a little bit too heavy, but after a few minutes of use I decided it was a good amount to thoroughly cover the plant. There are a couple of different settings for the spray, but I prefer the widest to get more of a spray and less stream.
There is almost no smell to the product, unlike some I've used before. But note that I have used it only outdoors.
Results? After about a month, I have not been able to see any insects or mites on any of the plants that I treated with the Miracle-Gro soap, including a very fussy rose bush. They are all looking healthier than they usually do this time of year, now that we're into the hot days of late June with less rainfall.
I think this product lives up to the Miracle-Gro name, and it will be a product I keep on hand!

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Near perfect from day one - but it will still grow with you!, June 20, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
Length:: 0:31 Mins

Let's cut to the chase - why just four stars? Well, for starters that is still a very high rating by my scale. It just means there is still room for improvement, and I think there is. But let me get to that in a bit - first, here's a perspective from a casual user of the Echo, and someone who's had it since day one.

Echo is easy to setup and configure. Just follow easy instructions to get it on your wireless network, and you're done. Next, start exploring the Echo by asking questions, giving instructions, etc. I won't go through a laundry list of those here because I know other will, and they are subject to change. But what I have observed is that the voice recognition in the Echo is state of the art. It is very easy to understand Echo - and Echo easily understands me. No need to raise your voice or over-articulate... just speak normally from anywhere in the room!

I mostly use Echo to listen to music. The sound quality is superb for such a device, with deep rich tones and bright sparkling highlights. Clarity of audio quality is very good, and seems pretty even across volume levels. I only wish there was more music available in its library. But I do interface with Echo to get weather updates, set timers, check facts and schedules, and all sorts of little odds and ends.

Echo even has a great awareness of culture and humor. Early on, trying to stump it and find out what happens in that situation, I asked "What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?". Watch my short video to hear her answer!

Since I drafted my initial review, Amazon has updated Echo several times, and continues to do so. So, forgive me if features I mention have changed, or new ones have been added that I don't discuss. One such feature, that I was anxiously awaiting, is the ability to re-order Prime orders. For Amazon this is, of course, a great feature for getting us to order more and more often - but with a little self-restraint it is a great tool for the consumer. While strolling through the kitchen (where Echo resides at the moment) I remembered that I need to order toothpaste - something I can get a better deal on via Amazon Prime than at my local drug store... so I simply spoke, "Alexis... re-order toothpaste". Echo then speaks aloud to me the brand and type I last ordered, along with the current price, and asks if I'd like to place the order. A simple "yes" is all that is left to say, and it's done!

To date, Amazon has continuously provided updates to the Echo software and functionality and they do a nice job of notifying you of each of them. I hope they continue to develop this product and explore its possibilities. But even as it stands today, I love it and highly recommend it. I have not tried using the ability to control lights and other things, but might explore that next!

3M Privacy Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 6 - Retail Packaging - Black
3M Privacy Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 6 - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $23.47
9 used & new from $16.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Protection for your screen AND what's on it!, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If anyone can make a top quality film product, it's going to be 3M. And this privacy screen protector is no exception to that. It does exactly what it advertises - it helps protect the valuable and fragile screen of your iPhone while also protecting your personal privacy from wandering eyes. Let's face it, sitting next to someone on a plane, train, bus, or even just in a waiting room, we've all let our gaze drift over to their smart phone to see what they are so interested in. It's mostly just boredom and natural passive curiosity. But there are some folks out there that intentionally try to gather information about someone by shoulder surfing. And there are times when you just want your business to be your business!

The 3M privacy protector screen installs pretty easily. Simply clean your glass screen thoroughly (they even provide a soft cloth for that) and then line up the film, remove the backing that covers the adhesive, and smooth it out. There is a tool included to help remove any small air bubble that you might get (and you'll get a few) - you simply use the tool to work the bubble to the nearest edge. The film is plenty thick - thicker than I expected. It provides excellent protection from scratches to your iPhone.

The part that is a mixed blessing is the privacy protection. At even a slight angle, the screen begins to go black. And at about 30 degrees or so, it is totally black and cannot be seen. This is awesome when someone is next to you and you want them to mind their own b'niss. But it does cause the screen to be a little darker even straight-on, all the time. Not so badly that it's a real problem... but you do notice, especially when looking at photos and such. We can't have it both ways, so that's the price of privacy - just know what to expect there. It can be mildly annoying when you *want* to share what you're looking at with someone else - they need to be pretty close!

Seems to work fine with all external covers and hard cases, and does not interfere with any of the functions. Touch sensitivity is still very good and I have had no problem operating the iPhone with this film on it. A very good privacy solution with only a minor downside. Highly recommended.

Kraft Thousand Island Salad Dressing, 1.5-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 60)
Kraft Thousand Island Salad Dressing, 1.5-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 60)
Price: $20.69
4 used & new from $20.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Convinient way to keep a stash of your favorite dressing, March 13, 2015
I love having a salad for lunch at work - and we have a cafe that has a decent salad bar. Problem is, they switch salad dressings around like it's some sort of cruel game. One day they have your favorite, the next they have nothing but stuff you hate. Additionally, you pay for the salad by its weight - which means you're also paying a premium for the dressing. Solution - these excellent salad dressing packets! Kraft Thousand Island is a classic of course, but they are also available in other flavors. The 1.5 oz. size is perfect for a small to medium salad, or use two for a large. Because refrigeration is not needed, I can keep a supply in a desk drawer.

Great for packing in lunches, taking on picnics or camping, you name it.

Sabre Red Spitfire Pepper Spray Practice Canister, 0.16-Ounce
Sabre Red Spitfire Pepper Spray Practice Canister, 0.16-Ounce
Price: $8.53
25 used & new from $2.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have if you plan to carry pepper spray, March 3, 2015
First off, the missing fifth star is for lower than desired capacity. You'll only get half-dozen or so puffs from this canister and a more would be nice for a training tool that costs this much. That said - in all other ways it delivers very well. It is crucial that anyone that might carry any form of tool for their protection and defense train with it and understand how to use it under stress. No different with pepper spray. And this practice canister allows you to practice and demonstrate safely.

Under Armour Outdoor Fleece Beanie Cap, RIFLE GRN/DYNAMITE, One Size Fits All
Under Armour Outdoor Fleece Beanie Cap, RIFLE GRN/DYNAMITE, One Size Fits All
Offered by BLINQ
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cap for cold weather!, February 27, 2015
I'm not a hat guy. I hate wearing any sort of hat - but when you have to be outside in the cold, you learn that fashion comes second to comfort. And a good hat can make the difference between being very cold and miserable and enjoying your outdoor activity without thinking about it. I also considered different styles and fabric types. I have the traditional knitted cap that is nice and warm but awkward to adjust - and transfers 100% static electricity to your hair when you remove it. This fleece beanie goes on and off easy and is easy to adjust and position once on. Best of all, it is super warm and when it comes off - your hair stays put!

Midnight Jasmine Concentrated Room Spray
Midnight Jasmine Concentrated Room Spray
Offered by GrandmasGiftware
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good alternative to overpowering floral sprays, February 27, 2015
I prefer the "warmer" scents for room deodorizers, and usually don't go for flower-named sprays. What I mean by warmer is that I like smells like vanilla and cinnamon and such. I like a scent that offers an interesting suggestion, rather than an olfactory assault of artificial flowers. But I took a chance that Yankee Candle wouldn't overdo it, and I am pleased to say that they didn't. The scent is a fresh jasmine that is pleasing but not overpowering, and does not linger forever.

I think Yankee Candle Company makes the best sprays overall. I like the size and operation of the canister, and they do a great job of metering out just the right amount with one pump. A bit pricey - but I'm willing to shell out a bit more for the quality.

Yankee Candle Christmas Cookie Concentrated Room Spray, Festive Scent
Yankee Candle Christmas Cookie Concentrated Room Spray, Festive Scent

4.0 out of 5 stars A soft warm scent - very pleasing, February 27, 2015
I prefer the "warmer" scents for room deodorizers, and took a chance that something called "Christmas Cookie" would be such a scent. I am pleased that it is. What I mean by warmer is that I like smells like vanilla and cinnamon over flowery smells. I like a scent that offers an interesting suggestion, rather than an olfactory assault of artificial flowers. This one is excellent in that regard!

Gun Storage Solutions Over Under Handgun Hanger-2 Pack
Gun Storage Solutions Over Under Handgun Hanger-2 Pack
Price: $16.26
5 used & new from $16.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helps maximize and organize your space, February 27, 2015
The over/under design of these handgun hangers can add even more capacity to your safe. I have used the handgun hangers for a long time, and wanted to try the over/under version - so I did. The work pretty much as you'd expect them to - one handgun hangs below the shelf and one is held at about 45-degrees on the shelf just above it. The hangers are good quality, vinyl coated to prevent any scratching, and very strong and durable. A sort of "Z" shaped bend in the upper half (the part that sits on the shelf surface) keeps the hanger balance to prevent tipping.

The only drawback is that the angle of the upper rod can cause collisions when using these on one shelf above another. But if you pair up the guns so that you have large and small mixed right - you can get around that issue. A very good quality solution at a good price. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20