Profile for Virginia B > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Virginia B RSS Feed (Vermont)

Page: 1 | 2
We Were Liars
We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart
Price: $10.79
102 used & new from $6.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Lower your expectations, September 27, 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Hardcover)
Why were so many people SO enthusiastic about this book? I thought it was trite.

My Real Children
My Real Children
by Jo Walton
Price: $18.92
76 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story-telling, September 27, 2014
This review is from: My Real Children (Hardcover)
My Real Children has one of my favorite literary devices - alternative plots, like the movie "Sliding Doors" or Lionel Shriver's The Post-Birthday World. I don't want to give away much of the surprising and engaging storyline, but anyone who likes a good story would enjoy this book. Jo Walton has written quite a few unusual and compelling novels (I love the alterative-history Farthing trilogy) and this is another winner.

The Children Act
The Children Act
by Ian McEwan
Price: $15.00
84 used & new from $10.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, September 27, 2014
This review is from: The Children Act (Hardcover)
As always, McEwan's literary craftsmanship is superb. The characters are nicely developed and the prose itself is beautiful. But McEwan has written better novels, IMO. Anyone who likes literary fiction would enjoy this slight but rich novel.

Kindred
Kindred
by Octavia E. Butler
Price: $19.59
90 used & new from $4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and classic novel, September 27, 2014
This review is from: Kindred (Hardcover)
Kindred is a classic novel about slavery. Even readers who normally dislike science fiction consider it a masterpiece. Truly a must-read.

Viva Giant Roll Towels, 12 Count (Pack of 2)
Viva Giant Roll Towels, 12 Count (Pack of 2)
Price: $35.99
6 used & new from $28.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for paper towels, September 27, 2014
my favorite paper towels

The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad)
The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad)
by Tana French
Price: $16.06
91 used & new from $12.06

3.0 out of 5 stars OMG it's tedious, September 27, 2014
I am a huge fan of Tana French's Dublin series, but this particular book was only so-so. She does an excellent job capturing the voices and even the thinking patterns of adolescent girls but it's like a party trick - clever for a few minutes/chapters but then annoying. And it goes on and on forever. The two central police characters are also skillfully drawn but they do altogether too much strategizing and interviewing. By the end of the novel you don't care who committed the murder, you just want to get out of the interview room and never talk to another teen. I totally agree with the other reviewer who said: If you love Tana French, you'll want to read this. If you have never read this series, don't start here.

I Am Pilgrim: A Thriller
I Am Pilgrim: A Thriller
by Terry Hayes
Price: $17.07
129 used & new from $5.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Action: 10 Plausibility: 0, August 14, 2014
I love thrillers and I was looking forward to this much-hyped novel. It was only ok. IMHO:
1) Most thrillers have some element of implausibility - accidents of timing, for example, that shove the plot along but also make the reader wince. This book pushes implausibility to a whole new level. The 2 main characters are "the most" "the best" etc. and the coincidences and contrivances are also "the most". You will keep reading while saying to yourself "ridiculous".
2) The author's choices of venue and plot just scream "make me into a big-budget action movie"! Particularly the eye-rolling setting for the climactic plot action, an ancient theater often submerged by the tides renovated into a jet-set dance club.
Enjoy the read!

My Salinger Year
My Salinger Year
by Joanna Rakoff
Price: $18.90
86 used & new from $9.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful memoir, July 20, 2014
This review is from: My Salinger Year (Hardcover)
My Salinger Year is not about J.D. Salinger but I think he might have appreciated this memoir. I enjoyed every word and was sorry when I turned the final page. Rakoff's prose is not only charming, it has surprising narrative drive for a book in which not a lot happens. A fine read.

The Painter: A novel
The Painter: A novel
by Peter Heller
Price: $15.78
96 used & new from $10.29

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved Heller's previous novel The Dog Stars, July 20, 2014
This review is from: The Painter: A novel (Hardcover)
The Painter was very disappointing to me. I loved Heller's previous novel The Dog Stars. Neither novel is particularly well-written; Heller's prose has a workmanlike, statacco quality which really doesn't lend itself to the long philosophical asides in The Painter. The central character is supposed to be a man's man with a heart of gold. I thought he was a distasteful brute and didn't really care if he spent the rest of his life in jail. The plot has many twists and turns, none of them very believable. The Dog Stars was on my personal "top 10 of the year" list; The Painter won't be.

Lilyhammer: Season 1
Lilyhammer: Season 1
DVD ~ Steven Van Zandt
Price: $12.99
27 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a surprise!, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Lilyhammer: Season 1 (DVD)
Why doesn't anyone talk about this series? It is as funny and well-observed and entertaining as anything I've seen in years. Not as dark in tone as The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Reminds me a bit of the classic movie Fargo. Stevie Van Zandt is awesome Try it, you'll like it..

Page: 1 | 2