Profile for L.C.S. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L.C.S. RSS Feed (Chapel Hill, NC USA)

NuForce Edition Analog Upgrade Board for OPPO BDP-93
NuForce Edition Analog Upgrade Board for OPPO BDP-93

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the upgrade for me, September 1, 2011
I recently purchased the Oppo BDP-93 (from Amazon) and have been highly impressed with its video capabilities, especially the way it upconverts and handles older DVDs. The audio quality is also very good, particularly in the way it processes the digital formats ( I'm using its analog multichannel outputs run into an older Denon, non-HDMI receiver), providing excellent separation and detail.

The one thing about the Oppo that bothered me a bit, and that was different from my previous universal CD-SACD-DVD player (the wonderful Philips 963SA), was , while very detailed and providing a bigger soundstage, it leaned a bit towards the strident - digital, if you will - particularly on older CD's and bright sound tracks.

Knowing that the Oppo line has been highly revered, and frequent candidates for third-party modifications, I searched for a possible mod, to try to improve on an already very good sound - just one with some different characteristics. This led me to the Nuforce Edition upgrade board, the most inexpensive of the mods that I found, and possibly the best bang for the buck.

I've had the Nuforce Edition board for a few days now (very easy to install though you have to be careful with the ribbon connector), and found exactly what I was looking / listening for. The sonic improvement was immediately noticeable (or at least it was to me), providing a much smoother, more easy-to-listen-to sound, while retaining and improving upon the detail and soundstage. Also, the instruments and vocals have a better presence, making them seem more realistic.

So is this upgrade worth it, effectively almost doubling the price of this great-value Oppo player? To me it was because it has given me a very high-level, audiophile-grade universal player for less than $1000, and has resolved and improved upon some of the sound issues that bothered me a bit.

I doubt most people would have any objections to the audio qualities of the stock Oppo BDP-93 (very good), but for those like me who grew up with some very musical-sounding analog gear (tube and solid state), you might consider giving this upgrade board from Nuforce a try. If the sonic changes don't work for you, Nuforce has a 30 day return policy so you really can't go wrong.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2012 9:38 PM PDT

Timex Men's T18581 Camper Watch (Black)
Timex Men's T18581 Camper Watch (Black)
Price: $26.00
18 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Performance of watch 3 years down the road, August 26, 2009
I would like to give an update on this watch which was purchased almost 3 years ago through Amazon. I'm a remodeling contractor and, frankly, I expected this watch to last about 2 months with the rigors I have put it through. Well it's going strong after only 1 battery change, about 5 strap changes, and polishing the scratches on the plastic crystal with toothpaste numerous times. I have hammered with sledge hammers, gotten it covered with mud, and rarely take it off for weeks at a time. It gets wet in the shower every day and, yes, if I hold my hand under or in water for more than a minute or two, the crystal will fog up. But it always drys and was never meant to be submerged in water. Water resistant does not mean waterproof. (Contrary to a previous poster who claims it is supposed to be "water resistant" to 30 meters. I don't think so.) This is one tough little watch that keeps excellent time, and I would also have to take issue with the poster who claimed it was a childs' watch. Only if his children bust up concrete, tear down walls, and pump out flooded basements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2012 10:37 AM PDT