Profile for J. W. Luther > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. W. Luther RSS Feed (Rolla, Missouri United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Genesis Box Set 3 (1970-1975)[13 Disc Set]
Genesis Box Set 3 (1970-1975)[13 Disc Set]
9 used & new from $239.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite set marred by problematic disc production on Foxtrot, October 1, 2014
I'm on my second set of these discs. In each set the DVD audio version of Foxtrot has been defective. First it was a scrape/scratch across the data side of the disc. This second instance appears to have a dimple in the recorded media that causes a one second pause in Supper's Ready.

Other than that recurring problem with the Foxtrot DVD, this is an outstanding set featuring outstanding remixes of classically outstanding music.

I hope I can one day get a good copy of Foxtrot DVD Audio. It is very frustrating to have to send the whole set off for a refund when I'd just like to have a good copy of Foxtrot in 5.1 HIRes audio.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2015 10:27 AM PDT

Seeking the Mystery: An Introduction to Pagan Theologies
Seeking the Mystery: An Introduction to Pagan Theologies
by Christine Hoff Kraemer
Price: $14.99
23 used & new from $10.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more..., August 6, 2013
This is an excellent volume. It is well written and well sourced. Dr. Kraemer deftly blended academic and experiential knowledge to produce this long-needed treatise. I was disappointed that it ended.

Femmes de Sade
Femmes de Sade
DVD ~ Justina Lynn
Price: $19.95
3 used & new from $19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective production, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Femmes de Sade (DVD)
I can't review the movie as a whole. I've not seen past the first 34 minutes because that is when the movies halted/froze/locked up. I ordered one copy, found it would not pay past that point, got a replacement from Amazon.com, then found that copy also would not play past the same point. I have received a refund from Amazon.

Don't risk your money on this item.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 8:55 AM PST

Is Spreading: The Great Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Is Spreading: The Great Peanut Butter Conspiracy
9 used & new from $24.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Bonus disc/album in mine, January 17, 2013
When I ordered this item, I expected one disc with two albums. What I received was two discs with three albums. The third album, on its own disc, is "For Children of All Ages". Amazon's description of this album correctly shows the cover and the inner liner, which show the claim of 2 albums on 1 disc and the track list for both albums. The back of the CD jewel case, not shown here, shows the track list for FCoAA and the jewel case is a two disc case. I have no way of knowing if my copy is an aberration or if the vender just screwed up on the packaging and marketing of this item. No guarantees, but at least some of these have two discs and three albums.

Update:

Well, this is interesting. I ordered this "2on1" CD, from one vender, at the same time that I ordered a supposedly stand-alone copy of FCoAA from another vender. I just received another copy of this CD. When checking which Amazon partner sent them, I find the one that I just received is THIS one, the actual 2on1 CD. It has the correct inserts, track listings and only a single CD (with two albums on it). The other copy, that inspired the first part of this review, is what I received in fulfillment of my order for FCoAA from the different vender. From the outside it looks identical to this one until I turn it over and see the track listing for FCoAA. Same publisher/label. Just looking at the front of both items one cannot tell them apart. The differences only become apparent when one looks at the backs and when the jewel cases are opened to reveal one CD in one and two CDs in the other.

Oddness.

As for the music, I like all three of them. FCoAA is not as psychedelic as the first two albums, but I am enjoying all of them.

Octavarium
Octavarium
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $11.54
87 used & new from $0.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, defective CD, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Octavarium (Audio CD)
I'll start off by saying this is a wonderful work, especially the last, title track. Unfortunately, the CD is defective. Playing the final track produces annoying stuttering close to the end of the work. Ripping it into iTunes did so, too. Well, one computer wouldn't get past the stutter points and the other finished the ripping, but left clicks in the place of the stuttering. The disc is physically fine. I can see no flaws in the plastic or the substrate.

Get the album, just beware that some of the CDs are defective, but not in a way that you can tell until you play them.

Citadel
Citadel
Offered by Renaissance Records AZ
Price: $12.12
21 used & new from $6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good album, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Citadel (Audio CD)
I'm listening to this album for the first time. It is the 1998 Renaissance CD release.

I don't understand the negative reviews. This is a very nicely done album. While I occasionally hear reminders of Yes, I mostly hear a style closer Styx's.

I wish they'd put more prog rock albums out. These guys did very well on this album.

Frigidaire FRA054XT7 5,000 BTU Window-Mounted Mini Room Air Conditioner
Frigidaire FRA054XT7 5,000 BTU Window-Mounted Mini Room Air Conditioner
Price: Click here to see our price
19 used & new from $161.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This item is not repairable. No parts stocked by Frigidaire., July 28, 2011
The single star is for Frigidaire, not the unit. I've not been able to evaluate the unit, yet.

I ordered one of these from Amazon. I arrived OK. The box was beat up and damaged, but the unit looked OK. I got it in the window and turned it on. It ran for the minute or so necessary for the broken fan to destruct. A blade on the fan was apparently broken during manufacture.

I took it to the local Frigidaire warranty repair shop. They told me Frigidaire refused to authorize repair and wanted it sent back to the vendor. I thought about the hassle of doing this, especially given the damage to the shipping box, and asked them how much it would cost to just replace the fan. It was then that they discovered that Frigidaire does not stock parts for these units. They are intended to be "throw-away" if something in them breaks.

I'll also note that the internal ducting is made out of Styrofoam.

The repair shop did eventually argue Frigidaire into sending a replacement unit to them. I'm waiting for it now. I just want to let folks know what sort of unit they are considering and what Frigidaire now considers "customer support".

Frigidaire used to be a good brand representing good products and good support. Those days seem to be gone.

Pity, that.

Updated 20120629:

The unit has performed well since I bought it. If I ignore the fact that it was designed to be thrown away when it breaks, I would give it four stars for its performance.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2014 7:10 AM PDT

Living With the Ancients
Living With the Ancients
Price: $11.99
36 used & new from $6.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, Maynard, June 7, 2011
The music is first rate. The vocalist could use some voice training, though. I'm glad I bought it and will listen to it often.

Star Cops
Star Cops
DVD ~ David Calder
3 used & new from $274.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Star Cops (DVD)
I was able to watch this on a PBS station's late night broadcasts too many years ago. I so want it to be available in Region 1 or region-less encoding. I've been waiting so long to see it again. Lucky Brits.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2011 10:11 AM PDT

The Stars Within the Earth
The Stars Within the Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving on many levels, February 26, 2010
Storm Faerywolf is the real deal. By that I mean he walks his talk. He is a living Being. This fact glows in this wonderful little book. I am moved by this work on many levels, some of which I never expected to be so moved. Approach with an open heart and be rewarded.

Page: 1 | 2