Profile for J. Stillman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Stillman "Movie Man" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jaws (Two-Disc 30th Anniversary Edition)
Jaws (Two-Disc 30th Anniversary Edition)
DVD ~ Roy Scheider
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $13.99
89 used & new from $1.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Jaws, But Not Much Else, October 7, 2005
"Jaws" is definitely one of the great summer movies of all time. Though the shark looks fake, there is character development and genuine thrills in this film that most modern-day movies lack.

I have the 25th anniversary edition, but unfortunately, like many other reviewers, I was disappointed and infuriated when I bought the 30th anniversary DVD only to find it offered little more than what the 25th anniversary DVD offered. I also don't like how the sound was remastered, especially at the end with the big explosion, which sounds muffled and weak. And a number of choppy scenes and cuts still remain in this version, which is upsetting, given the film won an Oscar for Best Editing.

Like other reviewers, I am angry at Universal for releasing this edition only five years after the last DVD, with little to show for it. I felt pretty duped when I realized that the 30th anniversary edition was almost identical to the 25th anniversary DVD, but with more attractive packaging. The studio could at least offer a rebate on the DVD for those of us who bought the earlier edition.

I guess I'm a little stupid for buying this edition, but I can't help it, I'm a loyal "Jaws" fan and always will be.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2012 2:41 PM PDT

Superman II
Superman II
DVD ~ Ned Beatty
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $14.07
199 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Man of Steel Still Soars, October 7, 2005
This review is from: Superman II (DVD)
"Superman II" is still one of my all-time favorite sequels. Despite the production problems, it's structurally a better film than the original, which was pretty uneven. Sure, it lacks some of the epic visual scope of the first film, and the special effects vary in quality. But Supe II has a stronger storyline and spine than the first film, and it gives Lois and Clark more human feelings, and strives to create more real people rather than comic book characters like we saw in the first film.

General Zod is a fantastic villain, evil to the core. And the battle in Manhattan still excites me and makes me laugh. Near the end, where the three meanies meet their doom in the Fortress of Solitude, I love to cheer for Superman.

Though there are a number of plot holes and continuity problems, this movie still holds up very well today with more fun, excitement, and style than most action films made in recent years. My only complaint is that the DVD does not have many features. I would have liked to see the making of Supe II and some deleted scenes that were shown on network television. Otherwise, a great movie to watch again and again.

Superman III
Superman III
DVD ~ Christopher Reeve
69 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Superman III Is a Sad Disappointment, October 5, 2005
This review is from: Superman III (DVD)
When I first saw "Superman III" as a child, I thought it was cool. I love Superman films and love Richard Pryor. But as I look at it today, I can see that it is an abysmal mess of a movie. From the very beginning, I could see that even the visuals looked bad. Everything looks as if it were shot in soft focus. The plot about a satellite controlling the weather and a computer powering itself is pretty implausible, even for a superhero movie. That kind of story should have been left in a comic book. Also, the special effects are awful. In the third act, where Supe dodges missiles, it's laughable. I don't know what the Salkinds were thinking when they made Supe III. The absence of director Richard Donner is evident. Though, Christopher Reeve is still great as Clark Kent and the Man of Steel.

Arthur
Arthur
DVD ~ Dudley Moore
Price: $5.97
120 used & new from $0.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Arthur, My Favorite Drunken Playboy, October 5, 2005
This review is from: Arthur (DVD)
"Arthur" is one of those rare films that gets better and funnier as it gets older. Some of the sharpest and most unforgettable dialogue is shared between Moore and Gielgud. Christopher Cross's "The Best That You Can Do" song complements the film beautifully. And who can resist that New York flavor? My only complaint is that the film is not shown in widescreen.

Fun with Dick & Jane
Fun with Dick & Jane
DVD ~ Jane Fonda
Offered by WeeBee CD's N Stuff
Price: $15.00
43 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Dick and Jane at Last on DVD, October 4, 2005
This review is from: Fun with Dick & Jane (DVD)
This is one of my favorite comedies of the seventies. I remember when I first saw it as a kid, and how much fun it was. George Segal and Jane Fonda are great together. My favorite scene is when Jane turns to her parents for a loan, and they turn her down. The "deadbeat" scene where the contractors take all their plants is also a classic. There are a few scenes that poke fun at transexuals and Latinos, which I felt were unnecessary, but overall a terrific movie. As much as I like Jim Carrey, I don't think his remake will quite measure up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4