Profile for AudioFan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AudioFan RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer
TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated and Lost all Progress, March 12, 2015
I just installed an update and now all of my progress has been lost. When I try to open the saved .tax2014 file, it has a "Continue" button but then takes me to the beginning questions (name, occupation, etc.) and all of the questions are shown as unanswered. The amounts are all gone and the refund/taxes owed amount has been reset to $0. This version is a pitiful shadow of its former self!

Power Tools for Cubase 7: Master Steinberg's Powerful Multi-Platform Audio Production Software
by Matthew Loel T. Hepworth
Price: $31.65
56 used & new from $21.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DAW book and still relevant for Cubase 8, January 31, 2015
This book is excellent, both as an introduction to Cubase and to recording using a computer. At the time of this review, Cubase 8 was just released. This book is still completely relevant, even though it is titled regarding Cubase 7.

I've used several DAWs but never quite understood all the recording and editing controls. While the documentation included with Cubase is a fantastic reference, it doesn't walk the newcomer through all the terminology and philosophies behind how things work and when to use them. This book fills that gap and is perfect to get you up to speed and making music. Highly recommended, and I hope the author works on new books aimed at Cubase 8.

Anker® USB 3.0 to SATA 3ft Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD, Power Adapter included
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $45.99
9 used & new from $21.67

5.0 out of 5 stars It works and works well, September 6, 2014
I have used this with both Windows and Mac machines, and it works well with both. The USB 3.0 speed is great!

MANGROOMER Ultimate Pro Back Shaver with 2 Shock Absorber Flex Heads, Power Hinge, Extreme Reach Handle and Power Burst
Price: $49.99
8 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great evolution from the previous Mangroomer, September 6, 2014
This is a really nice step up from the original Mangroomer. The hinges feel more solid, the unit is more powerful, and the close shave attachment is very nice. Highly recommended.

La Crosse Technology WT-3102S 10-Inch Atomic Analog Wall Clock, Silver
La Crosse Technology WT-3102S 10-Inch Atomic Analog Wall Clock, Silver
Price: $25.86
11 used & new from $14.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Time is detected but is wrong. Avoid., September 6, 2014
The clock I received didn't set the time correctly. It does detect a time setting, but it is completely wrong - both hour and minute hands. I tried resetting the unit, using a different new alkaline battery, and forcing a re-scan of the time. In each case it detected and set an automatic time, but it was different in each case and wrong!

I have another automatic wall clock from a local retail store that works fine. I'm returning this one, avoiding this brand, and will try to find another from the local store that works. Avoid this product.

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Wide Angle Lens
Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Wide Angle Lens
Price: $499.00
38 used & new from $415.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best lens for Rebel series, especially for photographing family and children!, August 11, 2013
This is the best lens for a cropped sensor camera, such as the APS-C sensor on the Rebel series. Some reviews are stating issues at the corners. However this doesn't happen on the Rebel series due to the cropped sensor size.

In my case I'm only considering its performance on the Rebel series. I'm using a Rebel 5ti. This lens is perfect for this camera!

First off, the effective angle on this lens is around 45mm (1.6 x 28mm) on the Rebel series. This is perfect as a general use fixed lens, being only slightly wider than the common 50mm lens used on full frame cameras.

Image quality has been perfect in my photos, far exceeding all other lenses I have. Disregard any issues at the corners which some reviews report on full frame cameras. This doesn't occur with the Rebel's APS-C sensor because the corners are cropped out due to the smaller sensor size.

Image stabilization works flawlessly. In my collection of lenses I have two other Canon lenses with image stabilization. I'll never buy another lens without IS. In fact, I was debating between this lens and another that goes down to F1.8 but that doesn't have IS. I'm happy I chose this lens. The IS allows for clearer images at higher F stop settings, even if the shutter needs to be open slightly longer to gather light.

Practically speaking this lens is phenomenal for photographing kids and family events. The ability to go down to F2.8 works wonders for using available light indoors at night. Otherwise, all flash photos have turned out perfect. The image stabilization helps for hand-holding the camera. The fixed lens is also a blessing rather than a curse. The camera is lighter, and one-handed photography is easy to do when autofocus is used. No need for a second hand to hold the zoom setting.

If, like me, you are debating on the merits of a fixed lens and not being able to zoom, fear not. I compared the usability of this lens and an 18-55mm zoom lens (also with IS). I went back to this lens. I could do all zooming I needed by stepping backwards or forwards a few feet. In most cases this lens was perfectly zoomed for where I was already standing.

I'm not a professional photographer, but after buying several lenses I can't recommend this one highly enough. If you are seeking a lens primarily for family/child photography and are using a camera with the APS-C sensor, then buy it now. Sell other lenses if you need to fund the purchase, because it is that good.

I wouldn't dismiss the comments on issues at the edges if using a full frame (5D, etc.) camera. In my case it's not an issue due to using the Rebel. Besides this, I think the use case for this lens is entirely different between a cropped sensor and full frame camera. In the case of a cropped sensor it is effectively a 45mm lens, whereas on the full frame it is actually a 28mm lens.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2014 11:19 PM PDT

Digital Filters for Everyone
Digital Filters for Everyone
by Rusty Allred
17 used & new from $8.64

5.0 out of 5 stars The best DSP filter book, February 25, 2013
I have a BSEE and have been working on DSP applications for over 10 years. I also own over a dozen DSP books, including those by the famous names and the best-sellers here on Amazon.

This is the best DSP filter book I have encountered, by far. Others are too academic and theoretical, not going into enough detail to enable the reader to apply anything. Or worse yet, not having enough explanation to enable you to understand much of anything.

Rusty explains the concepts and theory in a straightforward way that others don't. It's apparent he has a heavy amount of in-the-trenches experience applying IIR filters in the real world, and he guides the reader appropriately. He even gives heavy details regarding how to generate plots and filters in Matlab and Excel. Others do make mention of this using the stock functions. Rusty details how to do this from a nuts-and-bolts point of view, even without the more simplified toolkit plotting functions being available.

This is also the first book I've encountered that mentions Linkwitz-Riley filters, and gives tools explicitly to enable the reader to implement them. Other books by well-known authors with "audio" in the title don't even make mention of them.

There is a wealth of information in this book. For experienced engineers, don't be fooled by its title. This is the book to get for real design information on filters and for a refresher in DSP filter concepts. Arguably, it's the best DSP book in my relatively large collection. And I hope Rusty goes on to write further books on the subject.

Usrobotics 4-PORT USB 3.0 Hub
Usrobotics 4-PORT USB 3.0 Hub
Offered by AZPerfume
Price: $44.76
40 used & new from $34.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Power cable is too short, July 1, 2012
I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the power cable is only 3 feet long. That's barely long enough to get from the power strip on the floor to my desktop, let alone anywhere near the PC. I've never seen such a short cable attached to a large AC wall wart. It's a deal breaker for me if I can't even get the USB hub anywhere near the PC - or even on the desk for that matter.

I tried without the AC power adapter, as some hubs advertise being able to function without it. For the device I tested it with (USB 2.0 thumb drive) it didn't work. I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a hub, as they really lacked foresight in some basic things.

MOTU UltraLite-MK3 Hybrid FireWire/USB2 Audio Interface
MOTU UltraLite-MK3 Hybrid FireWire/USB2 Audio Interface
Offered by Kellards
Price: $549.00
13 used & new from $450.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and features, but crashes often on both PC and Mac, May 13, 2012
On the plus side, the sound quality is excellent and it supports both USB and firewire. The onboard DSP is a great feature, allowing you to put EQs and other processing on both the inputs and outputs.

But it has a strong negative point. It frequently crashes, meaning that the input level gets fixed to a low level, and the Cuemix control panel no longer displays the live input levels. The MOTU needs to be rebooted. Power off, power back on. Then it is working again. But this is very problematic for recording, because it happens without warning. And the symptoms are tough to pick up on. You'll notice that your mic level is lower than you expected, and can only realize it is the MOTU itself when you try to adjust the gain in Cuemix and there's no audible difference. Reboot the MOTU and it works again.

This happens frequently, about once every hour or two while you're working with it. And it happens on both Mac and PC. I don't suspect it's only my unit because I've talked with others that own it and they are experiencing the same issues. The latest drivers (just released this month, as of this writing) don't fix it.

Otherwise it's a great unit and it's disappointing that it has this issue. If you can be wary regarding the need to look out for this problem and power cycle it, then it's a great audio interface to have. For those running firewire you might look elsewhere since there are several great audio interfaces available for firewire.

Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by Happybabies
Price: $279.99
44 used & new from $89.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Point and Shoot and Worthy Successor to S95, November 3, 2011
At the time of this writing the S100 was just released. I recently bought the S95 on the recommendation of a friend who is an avid photographer, thinking the S100 would not be released until much later. The S100 just started showing up in stores so I bought it as well, intending to return one of the cameras. So I had the opportunity to compare them both!

To preface, I'm an intermediate level photographer, and it is just a hobby. I do own a DSLR, but it is one of the lower end models in the DSLR world. Still, I have become comfortable with manual adjustments and own a few lenses for it. However the majority of my pictures end up being taken with the camera most conveniently at hand (iPhone), and in this case I was looking for something that could offer a big step up in image quality without having to carry the larger DSLR.

Both the S95 and S100 are excellent cameras. However, there are key points about the S100 that give it the advantage. The rubber grips on the front and back are excellent. The flash pops up on both the S95/S100 where you would naturally place your left hand. Having the rubber grips for your right hand allows this to be a one-handed camera, or at least allows better support with the right hand since the left hand may not be able to rest where it feels most natural, which for me tends to involve a finger resting on top of the flash. This is an issue for both the S95 and S100, but the S100 mitigates it by having better support for the right hand - the rubber grips and better shutter button position. More on that next.

The shutter button is larger on the S100. This feels more natural and easier to access. Also the position of the shutter button has been moved more towards the right edge. It may seem small but this is a big improvement. If you have shorter fingers you may find it more difficult to naturally reach the shutter button on the S95 than the S100. The shutter button on the S95 is just a bit too far from the right edge for my taste, making it a bit difficult to reach when bending your shooting finger to press the button. Canon certainly recognized that as evidenced by the new location of the shutter button on the S100.

The buttons on the rear of the camera have been changed, including having a single-press button to start shooting a video. This is great since most videos for me involve catching fleeting moments of my kids in action. On the S95 you need to turn the mode selection dial to movie mode first. Regarding video, the S100 also allows zooming in/out while shooting a movie. As I understand it, the S95 did not allow that.

The processor has been upgraded and the S100 does feel slightly faster because of it when navigating through menus.

I took comparison shots in my home using both cameras and I found a slight advantage for the S100 in terms of image quality. There was a bit more detail using the S100, but honestly it wasn't significant. Still, in my head-to-head tests the S100 was the winner.

For me the main difference is in terms of the user interface. The button layout is better on the S100 and the addition of the grips is helpful. This camera feels easier to shoot because of this. This may seem small, but all of these button layout changes and grip additions add up to a camera that overall is more convenient for me to shoot. That's why I chose the S100. This is, after all, my camera of convenience.

The only downside I found for the S100 is that it is priced higher than the S95.

If you are on a budget and tried the S95 and like how it feels, then get it. You will be very happy with it! The pictures were very similar in quality between the two, and the S95 is a high quality camera. Everything about it mechanically boasts of durability and quality. But if the price difference is not an issue then I recommend the S100.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 7:52 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2