Profile for Miss Jane > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 87

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Miss Jane "book girl" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
One Plus One: A Novel
One Plus One: A Novel
by Jojo Moyes
Price: $16.77
94 used & new from $9.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Summer Reading - That's About It, August 20, 2014
This review is from: One Plus One: A Novel (Hardcover)
It's probably not fair to One Plus One that I read it immediately after Me Before You - which I read twice, and which sets the bar pretty high for the author. While I enjoyed these characters and the story (particularly Tanzie), this one left me wanting...more. It felt more formulaic, predictable, romance novel-y. As summer entertainment it gets 5 stars, but it does not achieve the level of sophistication or moral complexity we see in Me Before You. I would recommend it, but I would also recommend that you manage your expectations in advance, and perhaps you'll enjoy it more.

Me Before You: A Novel
Me Before You: A Novel
by Jojo Moyes
Price: $9.52
137 used & new from $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars All POVs Considered, Still 5 Stars, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Me Before You: A Novel (Paperback)
I've read the book twice now (it's our July book group selection). It's the first book in a long time to completely draw me in, and hold my interest up til the last page. I thought the characters and story developed gradually, realistically, and thoroughly. And while some here express disappointment in the ending (he had so much to live for! not all quads want to do this!) - I did consider the other possibility - and found it lacking. Had this story been tied up in a neat bow with a "quadriplegic meets woman of his dreams and discovers he has a reason to live, and they do, happily ever after!!!" I would have cried foul. And the middle, the part where they start out as enemies, he views her as one more person hired to babysit him, and gradually they become unlikely friends, and then so much more - and how they change each other in the process: that is the heart of this book. Just because Will doesn't change his mind doesn't mean he isn't vastly changed by knowing Lou, and vice versa. Also of note, the class distinctions in this distinctly British novel; the family interactions in each class; when classes collide, etc. Will and Lou come to love each other for who they are; under different circumstances their paths may never have crossed, or at the very least, they would not have developed the relationship they had here. I stick with 5 stars. And keep your kleenex handy.

The Paw Project
The Paw Project
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are considering declawing your cat, watch this first, June 18, 2014
A disclaimer: I grew up with 3 cats in the 80s, during a time where everyone treated declawing as "routine" - much like spaying or neutering. Luckily for us, our 3 cats survived this procedure, and had absolutely no complications from surgery. As an adult I've had three cats, one declawed by a previous owner, the other two have had claws intact. As my mom often says it "If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done it." Her current cats all have their claws as well.

I now volunteer at a no-kill shelter in Chicago, where I am routinely asked "What about declawing?" and I reply "Not recommended, and not necessary" - providing the full litany of reasons why not, and alternatives available to declawing, which today are plentiful. If an adopter is still unconvinced, I have said "Maybe you should reconsider adopting a cat."

After watching this film, I no longer feel awkward suggesting that. I realize just how lucky we were that none of my childhood cats developed any chronic conditions after declawing. And I would also tell a potential adopter: "Before you declaw your cat, watch this film."

It is balanced in its approach. It presents the facts, which are hideous enough in themselves that they require no embellishment. What I found absolutely shocking is that big cats are being declawed, to make them safer to train/handle when used for entertainment purposes. Really? Seeing these big beautiful creatures struggle to walk is heartbreaking. Seeing them after "correction" surgery is nothing short of amazing.

It's truly sad that we have to ban declawing at all - we should know better. It's unnecessary, it's inhumane, it's tragic. Watch this film, and share it with friends. Spread the word.

Pet Buddies PB5578 FurBeGone Cat Grooming Brush-TPR, Green
Pet Buddies PB5578 FurBeGone Cat Grooming Brush-TPR, Green
12 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Belly up!, May 20, 2014
My cat is notoriously fickle about when and where you may pet him, most notably, NOT on the belly, no matter how cute or tempting. I bought this brush after a nasty hairball incident, based on many of the reviews I'd already read here. I also adjusted his diet a bit, but wanted to add brushing to the routine. First of all, boy does the brush work for its intended purpose: I cannot believe the amount of fur that comes off of my short haired cat. Second, HE LOVES this brush. LOVES LOVES LOVES it. Took him awhile to sit still for brushing, but now he comes over, starts purring, and unbelievably, rolls over and allows me to brush his belly - seriously, no claws or anything. Adding treats at the end helped the sitting still a bit, but after 2 or 3 times, he lets me brush away. Coat is shiny, hairball problem a thing of the past. Twice a week, 10 minutes is all it takes.

Update: I felt an update was in order, now that I have tried to use this brush for its other purpose: removing pet hair from upholstery. I somewhat agree with the others who have stated the brush "fails" here - but not for the same reason. In the process of brushing a dining room chair, I was in fact removing a fair amount of cat hair...until my cat, intrigued by the sound of "brushing upholstery" ran over, hopped onto said chair, and started playing with the brush - while it was in my hand. So, did the brush remove fur? Yes. But not without getting a fresh layer on the chair in the process!

Hill's Ideal Balance Hairball Natural Chicken & Oats Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food, 3.5-Pound
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Paws up from the cat, April 21, 2014
A small disclaimer: at my vet's suggestion, I am actually mixing this with my cat's regular food, mainly due to the expense of hairball maintenance food generally. That said, the cat loves it, and even blended with the other food I have noticed a marked improvement in the hairball situation - ie, it's been a month since I started to combine foods, and we've had no hairballs. He seems to genuinely enjoy the taste, and you can tell just by opening the bag it's high quality. Recommended.

Lexicon
Lexicon
by Max Barry
Price: $19.79
125 used & new from $0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Disappointing, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Lexicon (Hardcover)
WHY? That is the biggest question I had after finishing this book, for book group - and it was not my selection. I had my reservations from the opening paragraphs. I should have followed my initial instinct and passed. The "plot" if you can call it that, seems to focus on using language to persuade and control others. To what end? I asked my book group, since at the time of our meeting, I was not finished. Are we ever going to find out WHY? What motivates these characters? No, we don't find out, really. It's just 300 or so pages of pursuit, flight, killing, "compromising" (mind control) - that in the end feels like lost minutes of my life I'll never get back. I don't care about a single one of these characters (many of whom are named after prominent authors) - and that's saying something. None of them are sufficiently developed to create real interest, attachment - or even disdain - in the reader. In the end the plot is weak, and extremely non-linear, which takes some getting used to. And while there are some interesting ideas re: privacy, media "bias" etc. presented via asides in the form of fictionalized Web posts, news articles and discussion boards, they don't really tie well into the story. My book group rated this between 9 and 10. Sadly, I disagree, and am sticking to my 1-2 rating. Very disappointing.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free Dry Cat Food, Salmon Recipe, 11-Pound Bag
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free Dry Cat Food, Salmon Recipe, 11-Pound Bag
Offered by Gulf Coast Pet Supplies
Price: $46.18
10 used & new from $37.19

3.0 out of 5 stars My cat eats it, but..., March 24, 2014
My cat eats this just fine, however... he did react pretty strongly (as in sniffing, then dramatically pawing the floor around the bowl, like it was the litter box) the first time I mixed it in with his other food - it actually cracked me up. I have a feeling I know why: the fish scent is really strong, to me it's like you're opening a bottle of Fish Oil supplements. I will most likely try the other flavors next time, but I will keep the Blue Buffalo brand in my rotation for sure.

Sherpa 11721 Delta Deluxe Pet Carrier Medium Black
Sherpa 11721 Delta Deluxe Pet Carrier Medium Black
Price: $34.99
25 used & new from $32.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy despite being "soft", March 17, 2014
This is a very solidly built carrier, plenty of ventilation and plenty of room for your cat to move around in. My cat will actually sleep in it if I leave it out for him. I much prefer it to the hard carriers, especially the shoulder strap, which is more comfortable for me than the top handle. (Though you do have this option as well.) Great carrier at a reasonable price.

Litter-Lifter Kitty Litter Scoop for Cats Assorted Color
Litter-Lifter Kitty Litter Scoop for Cats Assorted Color
Offered by International Coffee & Books
8 used & new from $7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - especially for smaller clumps, March 17, 2014
Like many reviewers here, I was satisfied with my regular scooper, except for its inability to catch the smaller pieces of broken-up clumps, which seem to be unavoidable. Based on the reviews, and given the price, I thought it couldn't hurt to try, and it does work, really well, not only on small clumps, but for everything else. The bonus is that requires less litter shuffling, and thus produces less dust - much nicer for your nose, with or without allergies. Initially I thought it would supplement the other scooper, but I use it pretty exclusively. I probably should note that I only have one cat, so for my 2x a day scooping needs, this is perfect.

225-Count Earth Rated® Lavender-Scented X-Large Pet Waste Bags for Dog Waste, Cat Litter, and Pantries
Offered by Oliver's Pet Care
9 used & new from $9.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these bags, March 12, 2014
Never in a million years did I think I'd even buy lavender scented poop bags, let alone review them, but here I am! After the vet strongly recommended unscented litter (for all kitties, BTW), I had to do something, because we all know that cat poop does NOT smell like lavender... and as others have stated, recycled shopping bags often have holes, or you find yourself in short supply. So, I decided based on other reviews here to give these bags a try. They're great. I have one cat, a large male, and scoop the box 2x daily. One bag can easily accommodate one day's worth of scoops, including urine clumps and poop. They are sturdy, and not overpowering in terms of scent. I think the guy who has the unfortunate job of emptying our cans into the larger dumpster for pick up will be happy - at the very least, he won't keel over when he opens mine. I'll be buying them again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9