Profile for S. Pondalur > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Pondalur RSS Feed

Belkin Slim-Fit Case for iPhone (Black)
Belkin Slim-Fit Case for iPhone (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so snug any more, August 20, 2007
A very good case. Nice soft leather with a professional look to it, sturdy clip and really slim. You can hear the phone well, and you can sense the vibrations well.

The iPhone fit was snug enough when I had bought this. But now, after about 15 days of use, it has loosened up considerably. I am not worried about the case dropping off, because the belt clip is real sturdy, but if it does, I am afraid the iPhone might be thrown out and get scratched up.

However, this case is slim because it is not generously padded. Also, the inner lining is not that soft. My iPhone is not scratched yet, but I attribute it to the scratch-resistent material used for the phone, and not to the inner-lining used on this. Maybe a softer inner lining is not really required.

Also, I find it difficult to pull the phone out without hitting the volume key on the side. I am not sure if there's a way to avoid this. I would hit the volume key even if I first push the phone up from the bottom.

But I do like this case (Haven't tried any other case yet).

Panasonic ES8168S Men's Vortex Hydra Clean System with Convex Cutting System
Panasonic ES8168S Men's Vortex Hydra Clean System with Convex Cutting System

5.0 out of 5 stars This one will convert you, May 14, 2007
I have been using a Gillette Mach 3 for a long time. I have been very apprehensive about picking up electric razors because I believed they would make the beard hair tough, or that it would hurt the skin in the long term. I have looked around quite a lot, and hit upon this item in Amazon. After looking at the reviews, I decided it was time I give the electric razor a try.

And have I been right on target! I got this razor online (I got a much better deal elsewhere). The first shave was not that exciting. But I knew I needed to give my beard some time to get used to the new shaving method. The razor initially didn't catch and cut all the hair. It used to miss hair under the chin quite a lot.

I took some time to get used to it. After about 5-6 shaves, I felt a lot more comfortable, and grew more confident in the way I attack my beard. I slowly worked out a circular motion that worked perfectly.

Maintenance is really easy. Its easy to clean, dry and charge the unit. This chore is a lot less painful than using shaving foam etc.

Some of the reviews here say that the shave is quick. Yes, the shave can be quick, but if you want the smoothness you'd get using manual shavers, it is going to take almost the same time. But since you do not have to conventrate on what you're doing, you can easily multi-task and finish the job. So, you actually end up saving time in the morning.

The shave is as close as a Mach III. But its a lot lot easier. I will never go back to Mach III. (Even if I have to, my beard will not like it).

Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System
Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System
9 used & new from $70.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers - but not perfect, May 14, 2007
I have Altec Lansing ATP3 back at my home. They're a pretty good 2.1 set, and never had problems with them. But now, I'm away from home.

I set out to buy speakers to help me relax in my hotel room. My first choice would have been a 2.1 system. But since I am put up in a hotel room, a 2.1 system would prove heavy on my floor-space. So, instead I started to look out for good 2.0 systems.

There are several tiny speakers in the market, but all of them compromise sound quality over portability. I am ready to drag along some weight if needed, but I didn't want tin cans.

After a lot of research, I ended up with two options - Bose Companion 2 Series II and Klipsch Promedia 2.0. The Klipsch ones had excellent reviews all over the place. The bose speakers were rather new and haven't yet received a professional review anywhere. My deciding factor was the size. I wanted the smallest of the speakers without a compromise on sound quality. The klipsch speakers were larger than the Bose. So, I had to choose Bose. I didn't get to listen to Klipsch Promedia 2.0 anywhere, so I can't do a comparison. On the other hand, I did get to hear Klipsch Promedia 2.1 before and they're exceptionally good. I would prefer them to any Bose system if I was OK with a 2.1 system.

I had heard Bose Companion 2 (the older ones) at a Bose store, and didn't like them much, as they sounded tinny. A lot of screeching sound, and a lack of bass. But I found Series II to be much better. Thanks to Bose for overcoming this problem even if that needed an increase in the size of the speakers ever so slightly.

Now that I had only one option, I went ahead and brought these speakers home. Needless to say that these speakers were really good. I could hear the player's fingers rubbing against the guitar wires and all.

I listen to a lot of Rock, Jazz and Classical. The sound is really balanced, and reproduces bass, mid-tone and treble on more or less equal footage. I believe the bass and treble are amplified a little more. Maybe that's a decision Bose have taken to "define" their desktop speakers.

The advantage Bose has to other speakers of the same class, is the digital circuitry they probably use to enhance the sound to bring in increased stereo separation and roominess to the sound. The sound coming out is definitely more pleasing to the ears, and feels room-filling. You wouldn't get this experience with speakers from other brands, however faithful they are in reproducing sound as exactly as recorded.

Now, an advantage that's almost a disadvantage. These speakers are so accurate in reproducing the sound that you cannot forgive playing mp3s at low bitrates. You need mp3s to be coded at least at 128kbps for the sound to be acceptable. I rip my music at VBR 192-320kbps and I find it hard to differentiate between the original CD and the mp3, So, never over-compress your music.

Now, two clear disadvantages. The first is that these speakers are built to aim their best sound at the person sitting at the desktop. The sound fills the room, but you lose out on the spaciousness. The stereo separation is good at 6-10 feet away, but the spaciousness is lost. So, these speakers do have a sweet-spot, and that is a chair right next to the desktop. I wish Bose provided swivel stands, so that I could point my speakers at my couch and still get the best from the speakers.

Disadvantage 2. I have played at least 200 tracks by now. The sound reproduction was near perfect, except for one track. I was playing a classical track "Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 55, "Eroica" - Scherzo: Allegro Vivace". This is an mp3 that has been shipped along with Windows Vista. Somewhere in the middle of the track, when a trumpet is played at a particular note, the right speaker gives a buzz. It means that I hit the natural frequency of the right speaker, and that resulted in resonance. I totally understand every object has its own natural frequency and you can't help it if you make a sound matching their natural frequency. But I am disappointed Bose didn't build it tight enough to avoid the buzz. I am not sure if this a defect in the speaker. But I can't return these speakers showing that the speakers buzz in only one track out of 200 tracks.

That's about it. The speakers are almost the best you could get in a 2.0 to my knowledge. The only contendor would be the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 and if you have enough desk-space and don't need them to be as portable, you could as well go for the Klipsch. But you mght miss upon the spacious-feel circuitry that Bose uses.

Advantages

* Good balance in sound. Enough bass - I don't miss the woofer

* TrueSpace technology - whatever this thing is, your ears will like it

* small size - almost portable

Disadvantages

* Speakers aimed at the desktop user. No swivel stands

* Buzz on right speaker playing a particular track (not sure if

this is a defect)

I am tempted to put price as a disadvantage, but I failed to find speakers of the same class at a lower price. So, I would rather leave the price alone.
Comment Comments (24) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 7:56 PM PST