Profile for G. Bell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Bell RSS Feed

When the Impossible Happens: Adventures in Non-Ordinary Reality
When the Impossible Happens: Adventures in Non-Ordinary Reality
by Stanislav Grof
Price: $13.92
96 used & new from $3.63

1.0 out of 5 stars Vapid re-hashing of 1970's pseudo-scientific beliefs, September 22, 2014
A disappointingly un-critical look at the still unexplained in our world - or at least in the author's. Improbable does not mean impossible, and the author fails to search for mechanism or repeatability in any of the improbable things he's witnessed over his years.

You don't have to be a narrow-minded Cartesian-Newtonian-Western scientist to ask for evidence, data, and experiments to prove something is real. When we do, we sometimes find something even more remarkable, and we're better for it.

We should be careful about rubbishing rational thinking, as the author does, which has done so much for our civilization. One by one, former mysteries (or should we say misunderstandings and frauds) have yielded to the light of scientific inquiry. Because of how intriguing they are, a tremendous amount of effort has been put into astral projection, ESP, and astrology over the decades, and to my knowledge, has shown that they're not real.

Ancient crystal skulls? If the author had done a bit of Internet research, he would've found that, at least the one he covered, had actually been created in the 1900's.

Luiz Gasparetto - now that's a phenomenon. Look for a video of him on Youtube and be amazed. But savant-like talent doesn't imply the supernatural.

The author's account of stepping on the gas to catch up to a rainbow belies a misunderstanding of some pretty basic science - rainbows are not objects that exist in a place. They are an illusion from light refracting out of raindrops. You cannot catch up to them or get inside them. He lost me at that point - I couldn't tell if the rest of his fantastic accounts were delusions, hallucinations, or lies.

What Works on Wall Street, Fourth Edition: The Classic Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
by James O'Shaughnessy
Price: $26.10
74 used & new from $15.22

1.0 out of 5 stars Invalid, April 9, 2014
The book made a big splash when it was first published, but as other commenters have stated, the strategies presented have failed to produce results.

William J. Bernstein shed some light as to why - if you perform a "t-test" on O'Shaughnessy's strategies, you discover that his results are not statistically significant.

Google for "Historical Returns - Signal or Noise" and "O'Shaughnessy" to read more.

Ohio Art Classic Etch A Sketch Magic Screen
Ohio Art Classic Etch A Sketch Magic Screen
Price: $14.99
56 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly spotty quality but company will make good on it, April 10, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Unfortunately, they've changed enough of this classic toy that it is not what it used to be. Lines are not dark enough to see very well, and those that do show up do not erase.

C'mon Ohio Art, how dumb do you think we all are? Put out a quality product, on par with the old days, and your sales will be even better. Better yet, you won't be producing plastic junk that goes straight to the landfill.

UPDATE: I contacted the company and, amazingly, they stood behind the product and shipped me two new ones - to the other side of the planet. The new ones work much better. They also took the numbers off the back of the units and got their engineers involved to figure out what had gone wrong with the manufacture of my two... pretty impressive. Three cheers Ohio Art!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2012 4:34 AM PDT

The Mountain Unicorn Castle T-Shirt
The Mountain Unicorn Castle T-Shirt
Price: $10.75 - $39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Let everybody know, September 7, 2010
Seems like everybody has a story to go with these shirts. Here's mine.

When I came out at 35, I didn't witness shock among my friends and family, but more disbelief. I mean, people literally didn't believe me. I guess it was my large build, thick beard and Marine Corp tats up my arm. I just don't "look the part".

Well, I spotted this shirt on Amazon and just knew I had to have it. Here's the life-changing part: As soon as I started wearing it, people started believing I was gay. No more insisting on my part - the shirt says it all.

It's just gorgeous, and there aren't too many of them out there yet, so you'll definitely feel special.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 1:27 PM PST