Profile for Warren A. Smith Jr. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Warren A. Smith Jr. RSS Feed (New Jersey)

KONG Ballistic Boomerang, Dog Toy, Large (Colors Vary)
KONG Ballistic Boomerang, Dog Toy, Large (Colors Vary)
Price: $7.94
19 used & new from $7.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrier mix destroyed it within minutes, January 27, 2014
Well, maybe the title isn't entirely fair. She got a hole in the toy in under 2 minutes, but the *entire* toy is not yet destroyed after about 10 minutes when I took it away from her. I have had good success with a different brand of tough dog toy and thought these would be similar. WRONG! Maybe there's some reason she focused on this particular toy moreso than some others which have lasted for months of tug games, but I can't say why that would be. I'm not really faulting the toy so much as just leaving a warning that if you have an aggressive chewer, this is not a toy you want to try. Should have read other reviews more closely. I won't be buying this type of toy of this brand again.

NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 3-Pack Golf Balls
NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 3-Pack Golf Balls
Price: $9.99
22 used & new from $5.96

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, November 14, 2013
Received exactly what I was expecting. As they won't be used for actual golfing, but only for display, I have no complaints and my father will love them in his collection.

La Crosse Technology BC500 Alpha Power Rechargeable Battery Charger with Car Adapter
Price: $30.21
51 used & new from $28.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended charger, January 10, 2011
I'm very happy with this charger. I would have been even happier had a bought it a day later when the price dropped about 16%, but that's a different story.

I was looking for a smart (ie., good) charger that doesn't cost a lot of money. I think this is a good compromise between more expensive/capable chargers and budget chargers which probably aren't so good for the health of your batteries. It charges the cells individually, which is a must. I like the more advanced features. While it doesn't have all the features of some models, I think it has enough for most users. The three modes of operation are:

1) Charge
2) Discharge/Charge
3) Test - measures the capacity of the battery

Unlike some more advanced chargers, it must run the same mode on every battery. While it may be important for some to perform different functions on different batteries at the same time, for me it's a non-issue. I've spent the last few days running it almost non-stop trying out various old NiMH batteries that I have. Turns out, most of them are either completely dead or not worth the effort to revive. Using the normal "dumb" chargers, there's no way to know what condition your battery is in. Using the Test function on this charger, I've been able to find that a number of my old batteries can only hold about 400mAh, which is pretty worthless. A number of them registered as defective and wouldn't even get through the tests. I was able to use an old timer-based charger to get a bit of current into some of the completely "dead" batteries, so that the C500 could charge them, but the results were not very impressive. This isn't the chargers fault; with a lesser charger you'd never know the condition of your battery. Perhaps with repeated Discharge/Charge cycles, you could bring these batteries to a respectable level of life, but given they are older NiMH and not the new LSD batteries, I don't think it's worth the effort. Using a lesser charger, even a smart one, I would have never gotten this information, so I think it's worth the extra money to get this charger so you know the condition of your batteries.

Given the reports I've heard about the C9009, I constantly checked the charger for the temperature, and it was sometimes slightly warm on the bottom, but nothing that worried me at all, and this after several days of constant use.

So, while part of me would probably have liked to get a charger with more fancy features, I think this does exactly the job I need it to do and would recommend it to others who want a good charger and want to know the condition of their batteries, but aren't looking to make a hobby of it.